post #1171 of 3787 Old 09-19-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post

Maybe a bit offtopic but in the OP I read: ...unlike the crunchy glass bead screens that are angular reflective, the high power uses micro beads
I've read a lot of topics where people would say all glass beaded screens are retro reflective. Does this mean that's not true and regular glass bead screens (the crunchy versions) are angular reflective?

No, all glass bead screens are retro reflective. The advantage of the micro beads of the HP is higher resolution. A further advantage is that the micro beads of the HP are covered with a protective layer that keeps them from falling off and makes the screen surface washable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3787 Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy View Post

No, all glass bead screens are retro reflective. The advantage of the micro beads of the HP is higher resolution. A further advantage is that the micro beads of the HP are covered with a protective layer that keeps them from falling off and makes the screen surface washable.

And is a contributing factor to the reduced sparklies...I think.
post #1173 of 3787 Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Liked: 10
Where do I go to get a price quote on this screen??

post #1174 of 3787 Old 09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanzsyclone View Post

Where do I go to get a price quote on this screen??

Contact AVS (the people who run this forum). They're a great company to work with. I've worked with Jason Turk a lot. Good guy.

Joe Clark

post #1175 of 3787 Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I got my 126" diag HP from AVS (Jason); excellent prices and great service. There was a mixup and I received the wrong frame size, and Jason took care of it instantly and efficiently.
post #1176 of 3787 Old 09-20-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Yes, I went from an Optoma H79 (you don't want to hear the horror stories about that machine), which was very bright, to a Sharp XV-Z20000, which is much dimmer. I HAD to move to the HP, because my Stewart Firehawk wasn't nearly bright enough. I could not be happier. The screen brightness and color uniformity both improved dramatically. With my last Sharp bulb, I was able to take it normal end of life (close to 3000 hours) with the lamp in economy mode and the iris fully closed (for maximum contrast). That's how bright the HP is! I love this screen.

Joseph,

At what level is your projector mounted? I am considering the Firehawk and HP but do not plan on being able to mount the projector at viewing level. As I understand it the HP does extremely well on gain when the projector is mounted at viewing level. I have ambient light problems and I have on order the new Sony VPL-HW10.
post #1177 of 3787 Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Dirtman- I'm not Joseph, but I own the HP, and my PJ's lens is centered at 39 inches. If you want to try some what-ifs, feel free to use my screen gain calculator linked below. Setup values for the HP are in the second post of the thread.

post #1178 of 3787 Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Cross posted from another thread, since this seems to be the main High Power thread:

Okay, guys, here's how it went...

Got it home last night (wow, that sucker is awfully long, and stretched from the dashboard to the tailgate in my Durango!) and set it up.

- The actual viewing surface really is 92" by 52", as close as I could figure using a tape measure by myself. Nice black border all around. It really is 106" diagonal viewable... 4 times the size of a 53" TV. Not that I've ever seen a 53" TV, mind you.

- There were some minor waves in the screen near the sides, probably wholly due to my half-@$$ mounting job in my haste to get it up & running. The current setup is temporary, and will be more optimal in my next abode - hopefully in the next few months. The waves made absolutely zero difference in the picture, and I did not notice them whatsoever on the projected image. This included ESPN Sportscenter, with lots of panning, and some HD nature stuff. I repeat, zero impact on the picture, and I have noticed waves on other screen surfaces in the past & their noticable effect on the image. Not on this one.

- The gain difference... well, it was pretty damned noticable. I have my Optoma HD65 set to 50% on contrast & brightness, with video gamma setting, and for the life of me, the picture looks like my 50" plasma used to, but a lot bigger. Much punchier than the blackout cloth screen, better perceived contrast, the blacks look dark, the brights are freakin' bright.

Quick story: I was thinking, "hey, it looks pretty bright, I guess..." when all of a sudden, the new Apple iPod Nano commercial comes on. For those of you who haven't seen it, it starts off suddenly with a bright white screen. It was like being slapped in the face; it was so bright, my eyes felt actual pain - just like being the first out the door of a dark movie theater & walking into bright, direct sunlight. Holy frickin' cow, this thing can seriously do bright! Not blown out whites, just seriously intense. Like I said, quite plasma-like brightness & punch.

- Okay, here's my observation on the viewing cone. Inside the cone, close to the projector, this thing is incredibly intense. Uniform brightness perceived from side to side. As you move your seating position towards the edge of the screen, the brightness drops somewhat, but no matter where you are, it stays uniform across the screen, so it looks perfectly normal. I stood about 10 feet to the side of the screen, at about a 45-degree angle to the edge of the screen, and it wasn't as bright as inside the cone. But, and a huge but, it was still as bright & watchable as my 1.0 gain blackout cloth screen had been from the same angle.

Did everyone get that? Yes, there is a viewing cone within which you will get the brightest, punchiest projected image you can imagine. I do not exaggerate when I compare it to a good plasma. Outside the cone, it'll still be as good as a matte white screen, so there really is no bad angle to watch from. Just make sure that when you have a crowd over, you get to stay in the sweet spot!

The off-axis light rejection was damned impressive. I have a dome light fixture ( 2 x 60w) centered about 1 foot in front of the screen on the ceiling, and the screen sits about 3 inches from the ceiling. While it washed out a bit compared to pitch darkness, the image was totally watchable with that light, and others in the room, blazing away.

Today, I watched some TV before moseying my way into work, with the blinds in my living room letting the sun in at about a 45-degree angle to the screen, and the contrast & punch were dramatically better than they had been with my old matte white screen. I can comfortably watch this with sunlight, light fixtures, whatever lights I want going.

One spooky feature: Walking past my living room later at night, with a hallway light on nearby, the screen reflected back a greenish glow, like a glow-in-the-dark toy. Freaky! Haunted projection screen!

Anyway, I'm here to tell you, the hype is true, and it really is as good as people say. Once again, not perfect, but my setup (projector mounted at eye level) is dynamite for this screen. If you are thinking about it, take the jump & do it with confidence.

- Danny
post #1179 of 3787 Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Good to hear it didn't disappoint. This, I think, is the reaction most people have. Despite some articles I've read, not all high gain screens are the same. As far as I'm concerned, the HP does not exhibit the weaknesses I've read about and seen in other such screens.

Joe Clark

post #1180 of 3787 Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Yes, Joe, and as everyone says, you have to play to its strengths. If you ceiling mount the PJ and use it as you would an angular-reflective screen, you'll get good results.

Set your projector at eye-level and sit within the viewing cone, and you'll get dramatic results.

Happy new owner here...

- Danny
post #1181 of 3787 Old 09-25-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news Danny and welcome to the club! Now just try to go into any of your local video stores and you'll wince at how dim their setups are compared to yours.

Wayne
post #1182 of 3787 Old 09-25-2008, 06:23 PM

LOL! Right you are, Wayne. This is the hometown of Magnolia Audio/Video, and there are plenty of 'em here. Between them, and the silly displays in the big box stores, it is a wonder any of us ever bought our first projectors!

- Danny
post #1183 of 3787 Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 AM

Help! I am trying to purchase a 92" or preferably a 106" Dalite HP screen (HDTV format), but can't find the proper model number or screen dimension. Can anyone help me narrow down exactly what screen models I shoul dbe looking at?

Thank you!!!
post #1184 of 3787 Old 10-01-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman717 View Post

Help! I am trying to purchase a 92" or preferably a 106" Dalite HP screen (HDTV format), but can't find the proper model number or screen dimension. Can anyone help me narrow down exactly what screen models I shoul dbe looking at?

Thank you!!!

Go to www.dalite.com, and click on 'Products', and you'll find everything you need. (Then go find a good source, such as AVS.)
post #1185 of 3787 Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A followup question for you happy owners of the Da-Lite Hi-Power screen, please. I viewed a VuTec SilverStar screen that was about a 120" screen with a Sony VW-60 from about 18' away. Initially the Sony demo that they had on there dropped my jaw. It was the cleanest, most plasma-like (in a 120") that I'd ever seen...fantastic...IMHO the BEST demo I had ever seen in a screen/front projector in my life. But then as I watched BRIGHT scenery (white clouds and say...light blue sky) they had those dreaded "sparklies" that I then could not avoid seeing that kinda ruined it for me. (I get the sparklies like that to a lesser extent from my Sony rear-projection in particularly bright areas, but I guess it is less noticable at 60" than 120").
Anyway, to the point: How would you compare the potential for those "sparklies" to appear with the DaLite Hi-Power in comparison? My future sitting area would be "within" the 96" diagonal screen (I don't know what angle that would work out to be, but I am planning on only a three-seat configuration, and they would all fall within the edges of the screen if that makes sense). Many thanks for advice on comparison and my potential for success here.
post #1186 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The HP doesn't have those 'sparklies', and is thus much better in this regards. The HP will be a better choice if the viewers are all not too far away from the pj--i.e., inside the L and R edges of the screen, and if the pj is not too far (within a ft or 2) from eye level. The main advantage of the SS is a very wide viewing angle if you do have viewers outside the sides of the screen. (At least this is my short take.)
post #1187 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I have used the HP for the last year and one-half. I have yet to see any "sparklies." What I see is a uniformly bright, high resolution image. I love this screen.

post #1188 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

+1 to FLBoy, and I've had mine ~ 2 yrs.
post #1189 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

A followup question for you happy owners of the Da-Lite Hi-Power screen, please. I viewed a VuTec SilverStar screen that was about a 120" screen with a Sony VW-60 from about 18' away. Initially the Sony demo that they had on there dropped my jaw. It was the cleanest, most plasma-like (in a 120") that I'd ever seen...fantastic...IMHO the BEST demo I had ever seen in a screen/front projector in my life. But then as I watched BRIGHT scenery (white clouds and say...light blue sky) they had those dreaded "sparklies" that I then could not avoid seeing that kinda ruined it for me. (I get the sparklies like that to a lesser extent from my Sony rear-projection in particularly bright areas, but I guess it is less noticable at 60" than 120").
Anyway, to the point: How would you compare the potential for those "sparklies" to appear with the DaLite Hi-Power in comparison? My future sitting area would be "within" the 96" diagonal screen (I don't know what angle that would work out to be, but I am planning on only a three-seat configuration, and they would all fall within the edges of the screen if that makes sense). Many thanks for advice on comparison and my potential for success here.

There's a showroom in MA that has an RS1 with a 110" Silverstar and I visited for long demos three times. I was amazed by the image with just a FIOS cable feed - never watched it with 1080p. What was especially impressive is how the blacks appeared so inky with the RS1/Silverstar combination. The first two times I was there, it did not bother me much that I could make out the screen surface in bright areas, but the third time I was there it did because I sat in the first row. First row was about 11 feet from the screen. I think the Silverstar can show the best plasma-like image when paired with a high contrast projector of any screen, but the screen surface's showing was annoying to me, and although it got much better moving back just a few feet, I like to sit close.
post #1190 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

QUOTE=millerwill;14783712]The HP doesn't have those 'sparklies', and is thus much better in this regards. The HP will be a better choice if the viewers are all not too far away from the pj--i.e., inside the L and R edges of the screen, and if the pj is not too far (within a ft or 2) from eye level. The main advantage of the SS is a very wide viewing angle if you do have viewers outside the sides of the screen. (At least this is my short take.)[/quote]

Thanks for the great feedback. So it sounds as if the only advantage of the SS is the wider viewing area. The HiPower sounds like what I want- no "sparklies" and a willingness to give up a consistently wide viewing area (which I do not need due to my tight sitting area).
OK, my question and/or conclusion is that the HiPower almost necessitates that the front projector be "placed" in a central stand or box next to or between the viewers. Wouldn't this make it of paramount importance to have a relatively QUIET front projector (as compared to mounting one behind me, on the ceiling or on the top of the wall/ceiling ??? Do most owners of this type of screen utilize their front projector from a stand or "box" located between the viewers' seats?
post #1191 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

QUOTE=millerwill;14783712]The HP doesn't have those 'sparklies', and is thus much better in this regards. The HP will be a better choice if the viewers are all not too far away from the pj--i.e., inside the L and R edges of the screen, and if the pj is not too far (within a ft or 2) from eye level. The main advantage of the SS is a very wide viewing angle if you do have viewers outside the sides of the screen. (At least this is my short take.)

"Thanks for the great feedback. So it sounds as if the only advantage of the SS is the wider viewing area. The HiPower sounds like what I want- no "sparklies" and a willingness to give up a consistently wide viewing area (which I do not need due to my tight sitting area).
OK, my question and/or conclusion is that the HiPower almost necessitates that the front projector be "placed" in a central stand or box next to or between the viewers. Wouldn't this make it of paramount importance to have a relatively QUIET front projector (as compared to mounting one behind me, on the ceiling or on the top of the wall/ceiling ??? Do most owners of this type of screen utilize their front projector from a stand or "box" located between the viewers' seats?[/quote]"

Yes, having a quiet pj is certainly relevant for an HP optimally located. Mine is on a ~ 4ft high (narrow) table between and just behind my and my wife's recliners; it's only about 2 ft from our heads. In low (normal) lamp the RS1 is no problem, and I think the Sony SXRD's are even quieter. DLP's are not so quiet and could be a problem. The new JVC's are significantly quieter still, and I'm very pleased about that.

But note: some people with HP's have their pj on a shelf at the back of the room, still 'low', but further from ones ears. I think this also works very well.
post #1192 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Millerwill-

Thanks again for the relevant info. Hmmm...that new JVC750 in combo with the HP may be a winner. Size may be critical if I'd put it on a shelf.
post #1193 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

WOLVERNOLE- It would be best if you don't place the PJ more than a few (e.g., 3-4) feet behind the viewers. Two reasons: (1) At a longer throw setting, the zoom lens will reduce the light output of the PJ; and (2) the side-to-side image brightness uniformity for off-center seating will degrade with increased distance between the viewing row and the PJ. (To quantify the latter effect, feel free to use the screen gain calculator linked in my signature. Setup values for the HP are in post #2 of the linked thread.)

post #1194 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FLBoy is certainly right; best location for the pj is just above and behind viewers heads. The super quiet RS20 will thus be perfect in this regard (and many others*, too).

E.g., the RS20 is quite bright, so with the HP one will have tons of brightness. But you can dial it down if you like with the adjustable aperture of the RS20, getting increased CR in the process. And then you can gradually dial it up as the lamp ages, to keep the ftL coming off the screen just where you like it.
post #1195 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, this is great information- very practical for me. I was looking into the Marantz DLP's which seemed to spec out very nicely and with quite positive comments from fellow AVS'ers, but I fear that they may crank out several more "db's" than either Sony (for sure) or JVC (LCOS technology). Marantz apparently has an admirable COMBINATION of sharpness AND blacks.

Any are going to look great on the Hi-Power I suspect. I wonder if a dark-walled room would still be particularly advantageous even with the Hi-Power ?
post #1196 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Yea, this is great information- very practical for me. I was looking into the Marantz DLP's which seemed to spec out very nicely and with quite positive comments from fellow AVS'ers, but I fear that they may crank out several more "db's" than either Sony (for sure) or JVC (LCOS technology). Marantz apparently has an admirable COMBINATION of sharpness AND blacks.

Any are going to look great on the Hi-Power I suspect. I wonder if a dark-walled room would still be particularly advantageous even with the Hi-Power ?

Definitely for ANSI contrast. Not so much for on/off.
post #1197 of 3787 Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

"Thanks for the great feedback. So it sounds as if the only advantage of the SS is the wider viewing area.

Better image is what I found. The Silverstar will do blacks better, being a silver fabric compared to the High Power's white fabric. That gives it better contrast overall, especially noticeable with the RS1/RS2/RS20.
post #1198 of 3787 Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 PM

i would like to know if the projector has to be behind you or is it ok if it is 3 ft. in front at about 20 in. above.proj. is 12ft. from screen and i am 15 ft. from screen?please help if you can
post #1199 of 3787 Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Three feet in front of your viewing row is OK. Twenty inches above viewer eye level will cost you some gain. To get a feel for this you can use my screen gain calculator linked below to try some "what ifs."

post #1200 of 3787 Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM

thank you FLBoy. You have been very helpful
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page