HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1 - Page 93 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I was able to get the 2.8 material on my frame last night and i'm totally happy with how it turned out!!! The key to stapling without wrinkles lies in having a few friends to help look and hold the screen material why you yourself also hold/tension the material prior to stapling. Also, I had the frame as close to vertical as I could get it to mimic how it would sit to avoid any introduction of wrinkles due to flex.

As far as the picture WOW WOW WOW!!! All the reviews talking about how bright this material are don't do it justice!!! I now have my projector on eco-mode and it's still far brighter than it was in normal mode vivid cinema (normally watch in cinema two which is less bright) with the previous 1.1 gain high contrast matte white material.

The screen is hung with french cleats I created from 2x4s with a 45 degree angle via a mitre box. The bottom of the screen has a 2x4 block fastened on each end also to keep screen from rotating down so to speak. Both the cleats and blocks have rubber mouse pad material stapled to them to prevent rattling agains the wall invoked by my large IB subwoofer.

Pics are with a crappy cell phone cam. I will get screen shots with a much nicer cam soon enough.

Plans: Will be building a border to hide the staples in the black border area which aren't visible during normal watching.

Artifact at top center is from lights which aren't on during viewing. You don't see it with an image on the screen regardless.

An idea of how low the projector is. Next pick will be from viewing position.

A pic from viewing position. The angle appears more severe than it is for reasons I can't explain. I assure you it doesn't bother me or my viewers one bit!

Again I will follow up with screen shots of projected images. Very very happy I decided to go with this material instead of a wilson art screen!!!

p.s. Don't let the viewing angle scare you. It works very well from all of the normal seats in my house!

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Looks great! If you are bothered by light reflected off the silver projector, some Triple black velvet, xacto knife and 3M 77 spray adhesive works wonders..
Cut the velvet out to fit areas of the projector where you have reflection, spray back of cut velvet, let dry a minute and stick it in place. I eve did the inlet vents of mine.. cut out all the slots flush with the plastic. Mine is on a table so the table get a velvet cover and the projector top get a loose piece of velvet, sides are glued on, and the projector vanishes when the lights go out.. just an idea if you get board!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2763 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Looks great! If you are bothered by light reflected off the silver projector, some Triple black velvet, xacto knife and 3M 77 spray adhesive works wonders..
Cut the velvet out to fit areas of the projector where you have reflection, spray back of cut velvet, let dry a minute and stick it in place. I eve did the inlet vents of mine.. cut out all the slots flush with the plastic. Mine is on a table so the table get a velvet cover and the projector top get a loose piece of velvet, sides are glued on, and the projector vanishes when the lights go out.. just an idea if you get board!

Thanks for the suggestion. Thanks again also for creating that other thread making it very easy to tell the difference between 2.8 and 2.4 that was a life saver!

Da-Lite was very good about it not giving the guy I ordered from any hastle whatsoever. They got the new screen to me 1 week after taking delivery of the incorrect 2.4 gain screen.

p.s. I have a model b all apart and can take pics if anyone is interested of how they come apart lol.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
post #2764 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Nice work, Nick. Screen looks great. That's about the same as my viewing angle. A little high for my tastes, but I have a tv underneath it for everyday viewing. No one has complained so far about it.

Is that a Panny 900 projector? I can't really tell from the pics.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #2765 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Nice work, Nick. Screen looks great. That's about the same as my viewing angle. A little high for my tastes, but I have a tv underneath it for everyday viewing. No one has complained so far about it.

Is that a Panny 900 projector? I can't really tell from the pics.

Ax200. given it's 11.5' plus or minus 4 inches from the screen it's as bright as any reasonable setup could possibly be!

$40 for the air stapler shipped is the best $40 I spent for this project. Couldn't imagine trying to use a manual staple gun with people holding the screen upright; would be a nightmare.

post #2766 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

With the 200, I bet that's one bright picture using an HP screen.

Stephen.

post #2767 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post

p.s. I have a model b all apart and can take pics if anyone is interested of how they come apart lol.

Congrats! I would love to see a few pics if you can bothered at some point. I believe mine is a model C, but I'm still very curious.

I don't know if you need more brightness, but there was a thread (mostly for JVC owners, but other 3LCD owners did likewise), where simply cleaning the prism/diffuser that the bulb fires into made a very large increase in brightness. I don't have measuring tools, but the subjective difference was akin to putting in a brand new bulb, but only at the cost of a microfiber and rubbing alcohol.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1223098&page=5

post #2768 of 3787 Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Congrats! I would love to see a few pics if you can bothered at some point. I believe mine is a model C, but I'm still very curious.

I don't know if you need more brightness, but there was a thread (mostly for JVC owners, but other 3LCD owners did likewise), where simply cleaning the prism/diffuser that the bulb fires into made a very large increase in brightness. I don't have measuring tools, but the subjective difference was akin to putting in a brand new bulb, but only at the cost of a microfiber and rubbing alcohol.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1223098&page=5

Cool man I will check that out. I have a bit of blue spotting in the right 3rd of the screen which showed up after the installation of the 3rd bulb i've had in this projector (each replaced around 1950 hours). Probably need to look into fixing that as well but it is very subtle.

post #2769 of 3787 Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just wanted to update on the issue i had with the screen, dalite shipped out the new screen material to me on a 2 day shipping and it arrived last night. The screen is flawless now(I put in some very bright scenes to check) and i couldn't be happier with the customer service of both B&H and Dalite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN Id:blitz500

post #2770 of 3787 Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

and i couldn't be happier with the customer service of both B&H and Dalite

Sure you could.. it could have been perfect the first time.. I just don't get it.. maybe since the majority of the stuff sold is for board rooms and other commercial installs where no one cares if it perfect they just let the small stuff go and hope it does not come back.. go figure..

Doug

post #2771 of 3787 Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Sure you could.. it could have been perfect the first time.. I just don't get it.. maybe since the majority of the stuff sold is for board rooms and other commercial installs where no one cares if it perfect they just let the small stuff go and hope it does not come back.. go figure..

Huh? You've never made a mistake? I say if they're resolving a problem for the previous poster this quickly then he has every right to be pleased with the service he's getting. Defects in manufacturing happen. Just a way of life. The companies who are on the ball and get it taken care of asap deserve some measure of praise for doing so. If every screen they shipped out had a problem, then maybe I'd think differently, but they don't.

Stephen.

post #2772 of 3787 Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Huh? You've never made a mistake? I say if they're resolving a problem for the previous poster this quickly then he has every right to be pleased with the service he's getting. Defects in manufacturing happen. Just a way of life. The companies who are on the ball and get it taken care of asap deserve some measure of praise for doing so. If every screen they shipped out had a problem, then maybe I'd think differently, but they don't.

+1
I agree if everything had been perfect the first time it would certainly have been great, but the way they handled things is appreciable. I talked to them Friday late afternoon and Monday morning Dalite shipped the new screen to me with 2 day shipping.

Considering the first time around it took 2 weeks for the order to arrive, this was very fast. Plus the fact that i did not have to return the existing screen before i can get the new one helps. They sent a return mailer sticker along with fedex home pickup service.

PSN Id:blitz500

post #2773 of 3787 Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? I am curious how it may help the small black spot of damage that was incurred with microfiber that I was posting about here, recently. I suppose if it doesn't have any retroreflectivity, or at least some gain, it would be pointless. Ok, it seems that someone says it has 1.3 gain, hmrz. I understand it needs be rolled or sprayed, but I wonder if I could try a touch up paint brush. I am expecting that people will say it's not worth my time, but I'm curious.

I could get rid of the black spot by converting my screen to 2.35:1, but I don't want to know how much an ISCO III or Panamorph, with sled, ends up costing. Thanks for reading.

I will try to post this query in the DIY subforum too.

post #2774 of 3787 Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I would be tempted to try this stuff. Maybe try on paper first before putting it on the screen....
http://www.liquidreflector.com/order2.html
That was the only place I could find reflective paint in a small amount at a low cost after a few minutes for searching.. Would have to be very lucky for it to work I would think.
Or .. maybe it would be better since the 2.8 is not paint at all to get the bulk beads
http://www.liquidreflector.com/Refle...lassbeads.html ..smallest ones 0.037- 0.088 mm. then apply a tiny amount of white glue to the black spot and dump on the beads..
either way it would not cost much..

Doug

post #2775 of 3787 Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks airscapes (again)! I'll have to look into this more. I received a PM from a lurker about this stuff here:

http://www.reflectivepaint.co.uk/ref...paint-info.htm

Now, as for cost and availability in the US, I don't know, but this seems like it would be just the ticket?!

post #2776 of 3787 Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM

I just downloaded FLBoys great calc and this is what I got. Gain measurements are in black for the PJ on a shelf about 8 inches over my head (seated) and in red with it 22 inches over my head (Seated)

I couldn't seem to get the plus or minus distance left or right of the centre of the screen to work so I left that at 0. I am assuming the Screen Left and Screen Right values are at the borders of the screen and are good enough to give me approximate values for my seating. For the seating along the left wall I just changed the values for distance to screen.

If I did it right I am pretty happy with the gain I will get out of this screen!!

Next question. My values with the PJ mounted 22 inches over my head (in Red) seem correct except my centre seat value is .2 less than my screen left or screen right values? Whats up with that?

If I go for the mounting closer to my head the ProJ Central calc gives me the following Foot Lamberts based on a 2.5 gain. 22 FL for zoomed 2.35 and 24 FL for 16:9. Does those figures sound good enough for some ambient light usage?

Next question. I am thinking about getting the PermWall fixed frame but I have some particular custom requirements. ie. an inverted T shaped screen to maximise both 2.35:1 and 16:9 sizes (in effect CIA) while maintaining PJ aspect zooming and masking automation.

I know that I will be paying for what in effect will be a 16:9 screen the same width as my 2.35:1 width, ie. 115. So I'll be paying for a 116x65(133). But when Da-Lite say they do custom orders do they just mean non standard rectangular screen sizes or does anyone think they can do custom permwall frame shapes like my inverted T??
post #2777 of 3787 Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Can i get the high power 2.8 screen in a manual rollup ceiling model? And what am i looking to spend for a 100+ inch screen? Is the tripod model cheaper than a ceiling model?

Im for sure i need it to be retractable.
post #2778 of 3787 Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
UPDATE

(i have not read this thread is months)

my 119" 2.8 manual has had waves from nearly day one. they are not big waves. but when viewed from the side, white screen, they are easily seen.
during a movie, the waves are absolutely UNSEEN.

i now, due to trying to sell my place, have the projector mounted above the screen. brightness is NOT an issue !

this screen, along with my Viewsonic Pro8100. is some of the best money i have ever spent.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #2779 of 3787 Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelochas View Post

Can i get the high power 2.8 screen in a manual rollup ceiling model? And what am i looking to spend for a 100+ inch screen? Is the tripod model cheaper than a ceiling model?

Im for sure i need it to be retractable.

Yes, you can. You would spend under a thousand. MSRPs are listed on the Da-Lite website for all their screens. Most screens get a generous discount off of MSRP. Call AV Science, the forum sponsors, for an exact quote.

http://www.da-lite.com/products/prod...?cID=9&pID=213

http://www.da-lite.com/products/index.php?cID=19
post #2780 of 3787 Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a large 78X139 Matt electrol, and need to upgrade, as the screen is 8 years old and showing streaks from rolling up and down so much. My HT room has light control problems, and a HP should help. I need guidance on the gain, 2.4 or 2.8 ? (if the 2.8 is avalible) Also, why did Dalite change the HP to 2.4? Does anyone have the 2.8 vs 2.4 gain vs angle data?
Thanks a bunch,
Lucabratsi
post #2781 of 3787 Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucabratsi View Post

Hi Guys,

I have a large 78X139 Matt electrol, and need to upgrade, as the screen is 8 years old and showing streaks from rolling up and down so much. My HT room has light control problems, and a HP should help. I need guidance on the gain, 2.4 or 2.8 ? (if the 2.8 is avalible) Also, why did Dalite change the HP to 2.4? Does anyone have the 2.8 vs 2.4 gain vs angle data?
Thanks a bunch,
Lucabratsi

I was the first member to figure out they changed the formula and didn't tell anyone.. the data on the 2 screen fabrics can be found here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1213577
Why they did it, I would guess to save money.. new 2.4 looks sprayed on from what I could see with a machinist microscope.

Doug

post #2782 of 3787 Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Thanks Airscapes,

I went and ordered the 78 X139 in the 2.4 fabric, as I was told the 2.8 will have a seam at the top.
I will post impresions when I set it up in a week or so.

Cheers,
Lucabratsi
post #2783 of 3787 Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have a room that has a bit of ambient light that enters from the sides of the room. Would this 2.8 be a good bet for me? I am hoping for an electric screen at 120" diag 16X9 and I will be sitting about 14ft away. It seem as if all of the retailers I talk to are trying to get me to go the stewart Firehawk G3 route. I am hoping this will work better. Any suggestions?
post #2784 of 3787 Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am working on getting all of the info/details/parts to build my frame. I plan on getting the Model C 133" for this, but have a few questions. I am been searching for details on which frame I want to build.

1) If I was to put some middle framing in would they show behind the screen?
2) Is there enough black border to fold around the frame for stapling without reducing the size?
3) What type and length of staples did ya'll use?
4) How did you attach the frame/screen to the wall?
5) Is one particular frame detail better than the others?

*Edit: This probably could have been in the DIY screen forum, but they do not consider it a DIY screen if I use a High Power screen.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #2785 of 3787 Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I am working on getting all of the info/details/parts to build my frame. I plan on getting the Model C 133" for this, but have a few questions. I am been searching for details on which frame I want to build.

2) Is there enough black border to fold around the frame for stapling without reducing the size?

*Edit: This probably could have been in the DIY screen forum, but they do not consider it a DIY screen if I use a High Power screen.

1. I made my screen with SMX AT material and put middle framing in. I painted it black to match the black area behind the screen and you can't see it even with the perforated material. So I would think it would be safe with HP material.

4. I hung it with small black rope, hooks and pulleys. I have a bat-cave so you can't see the mechanics and the image just hangs in space.
post #2786 of 3787 Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) Can't say. I've never done that.

2) Not sure what you mean. I stapled the material directly to the back of the wooden frame. No folding involved. There's enough border area to do this, but not if you're going to try to fold it around the frame.

3) I believe I used 1/2" staples (made by Stanley). Not sure of the part number, but they appeared to be a very popular size at Lowes. I just used a cheap manual staple gun (also made by Stanley).

4) I just hung it with standard picture hangers on either end and in the middle. The kind that look like sharp teeth and hang on a nail in the wall.

5) Not quite sure what you're asking. Just anything that you need to be aware of? If that's the case, be super careful when stapling. There is no give to the HP material, so you can't stretch it to remove wrinkles. I have some wrinkles in mine, and this weekend I'm taking it down and I'm going to try velcro this time to see if it works better. I've always used staples in the past.

Stephen.

post #2787 of 3787 Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
On several of the websites that I have found it mentions to fold the screen fabric around the 1x3 and staple it to the back. Below is one that I have printed. This shows the fabric. It shows middle framing, but other websites says not to do this because the framing can be seen.

http://www.eldamar.net/house/ht/screenHowTo.html

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #2788 of 3787 Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

You may want to look in the DIY forum for BOC screen designs. A frame to hold blackout cloth would hold real screen fabric just as well. Its ok to change the Recipe to suite you needs as you cook!

Doug

post #2789 of 3787 Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On several of the websites that I have found it mentions to fold the screen fabric around the 1x3 and staple it to the back. Below is one that I have printed. This shows the fabric. It shows middle framing, but other websites says not to do this because the framing can be seen.

http://www.eldamar.net/house/ht/screenHowTo.html

In my opinion, that's the hard way to do it.

I just took four 1 x 3's (cut to my aspect ratio of 2.35:1), wrapped them in black velveteen for the border, and stapled the material to the back of the wooden frame.

Stephen.

post #2790 of 3787 Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Hello,

I now have the 78X139 cosmo elec. HP 2.4 up and running. Projector is a BenQ W6000. Projector is 26' back and viewing from 18'. Wow, now I have a 12' plasma. No hotspots that I can see. Compared to Matt on my last screen, this is in a different league. Colors, contrast, and detail is superb. May be one of the best under $4K combo out there. There is still plenty of detail in the white areas, and they are not washed out. Very Happy, thanks much to this thread. I set up a small compressor and a spray nozzle, to blast the screen to keep the bug-a-boos off the screen before rolling it up. Works great. My last screen was covered with bug mashies.

Cheers,

Lucabratsi
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Da Lite Screens , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Dalite Model C Video Format 105 X 140 Inch High Power Projection Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page