Is 78x139 screen overkill for my room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a dedicated theater room. The room is 18 wide x 32 long x 9 high and the projector is a Benq 8700. There are 2 rows of theater seats and the first one is about 13' from the projected wall. Currently the projection size is 70 wide x 127 long and I'm happy with the picture quality. I have been projecting on the wall but now I want to install a screen. The 2 sizes available to me are 65x116 and 78x139. I feel that the 65x116 is too small but if I purchase the larger size my picture will not fill on the entire screen. Will it look odd to have the picture not fill up 100% of the screen? Projectorpeople reconmends me to get the 65x116 and feels that the 78x139 is overkill. Personally I don't want to regret getting something too small and want to get the larger size. I also want the option in projecting a larger pciture in the future. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you should check out some diy methods in diy screen forum and then you can make the screen any size you want.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 PM

We just bought our first projector and installed it. Our screen size was already set at 135" due to the wife getting the max screen that would fit on our wall. Before I put the screen up I projected it onto the wall and made my final decision on whether to keep the big screen or not. No way would I go smaller. If you have the seating distance to handle the bigger screen I recommend it. Really gives that movie theater experience when you see it that big. Either way project it onto the wall first, picture is excellent on a regular wall and just gets better when you use a screen.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I personally would go with the smaller screen. There's a very noticable difference in picture quality going from the smaller screen to the larger (if you don't believe me, try both sizes and you'll see the difference). Bigger isn't always better IMO, I'd much rather have a better picture on a large screen rather than a loss in PQ with an the larger screen...
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a PE8700 also with a 137" 16:9 Vutec matte white screen, and I find that the picture is beautiful for movies with NO lights on, but for gaming, it's not bright enough. I'm thinking of going with a Da-Lite High Power screen, slightly bigger but fixed and 2.35:1 with masking for 16:9 viewing.

If you only want it for movies, this screen is great. If you're interested in my screen, PM me. It's a Lectric I motorized screen, white case, 12-volt trigger; about 1 year old, used less than a dozen times.

David
post #6 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM

I have a Da-Lite Hi Power 128 X 72. My first row of seats puts the viewers' eyes about 15' 9" from the screen. For me that's very involving and sometimes I prefer the 2nd row.

Also, I believe if you check the Da-lite web site you will find that the 72" height is the largest screen size without a seam.

You can get just about any size screen size custom made in a very short time. At least I was able to and at an excellent price.

If you search this forum you can find posts on the recommended viewing distance based on a ratio of optimal viewing angle to screen width. I just don't have the link available.

Don't lose sight of the Big Picture
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a 92" screen in my 400 sq ft studio, no such thing as overkill in my book, only awesomeness
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=64976
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page