Grey vs. White: Best projector screen color/material for an older LCD Projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic PT-AE100 rated at 700 ANSI lumens with a 500:1 contrast ratio. I have heard that a high contrast grey screen surface is my best bet to get the besk black/dark colors. On the other hand, manufacturers tout matte white material. HELP! What is my best bet to get good color representation, especially in the darker and black color realm?

DLWMarshall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMar View Post

I have a Panasonic PT-AE100 rated at 700 ANSI lumens with a 500:1 contrast ratio. I have heard that a high contrast grey screen surface is my best bet to get the besk black/dark colors. On the other hand, manufacturers tout matte white material. HELP! What is my best bet to get good color representation, especially in the darker and black color realm?

The answer to your question requires more information. How big of a screen? And how much ambient light is in the viewing room? And to a lesser degree what color are the walls and ceiling painted? Are you willing or do you prefer dark blacks even at the sacrifice of some brightness or whites? What is your viewing area like in terms of seating? Do you have a narrow viewing angle to the screen or do people sit off angle and watch?

Supply some more info and I'm sure you will find someone with the same projector in the same environment that will help with your question.

Lastly welcome to AVS.

Bud

post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, I have no problem giving any details necessary to keep me from making a bad screen decision! :-)

The screen will likely be a 4x3 120" diagonal (I am constrained on width due to a intake duct that can't be moved). I can't be any wider than 7'9" at the top.

The room can be made completely dark since it is in the basement and the windows that are there barely get enough light to see as it is (and they can be completely covered. On occasion there may be light from an adjoining room (indirect... not anything where a light would be in line of sight with the screen) but that would be during casual viewing when the kids were awake (not during a serious DVD watching session).

The walls in the room have yet to be painted, but we were leaning towards a light neutral color. It's not written in stone so let me know if we should consider other choices.

In terms of dark blacks... I used to project on a plain old medium gray painted wall (meant as a temporary solution)... we're not even talking about projector paint; this is plain old hardware store flat house paint. With that, I didn't mind the brightness of the white and light colors. I don't want an excessively dark picture though, and I guess my biggest fear is that watching something like Star Wars, i will see the backdrop of space as a medium gray instead of a black or near black.

The long and the short is that blackest blacks are a higher priority than having the whitest whites, but contrast overall is my gravest concern (I know I know... dump the LCD projector and buy a PLasma, right? lol).

The viewing area is set up so that 80% of the time, nobody will will have anything worse than a 15 degree viewing angle (15 degrees off of straight on that is). The other times (largely because the TV room is relatively long and narrow), some people may have to view the screen with up to a 30 degree angle off of straight on. Angle of view is probably not a big issue with us.

So imagine us having a 19' x 10' TV room, with the projector projecting lengthwise, with two rows of seating in the back (facing straight ahead at the screen pretty much), and a single couch along one wall where people's heads would be in line with the left edge of the screen... there won't be anyone off in the wings tryign to watch from a 45 degree angle or anything like that. Also, the room can be darkened ot close to absolute black if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback!

(P.S. Did I say that price is a consideration? We are not rich... damn those tech stocks for tanking. lol)

DLWMarshall
post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I might end up answering your question with more questions but here goes.

First off your projector is panny PT-AE100 is native resolution 858x484 and is WVGA projector that is native 16:9 resolution so I think you should shoot for a 16:9 screen size. I don't know personally know this projectors ability to light up a screen but based around how it preformed on a gray painted wall the question I want to ask is how big of a image were you shooting to then? If it was a similar size and even a bit more ambient light then I would say you might want to look at the High Contrast. If you are now planning to go much larger than the wall set up you might want to keep evaluating.

There are several things you might want to do by way of experimentation in the new room. First is contact the screen manufacture and ask for samples. Second is consider painting out a temp screen using Kilz2 primer and get the projector mounted and experiment with screen size and also compare the samples to the flat white primer.

With the total light control, large screen, and moderate lumens conventional wisdom says the matte white is the screen you want, but then the lower CR of 500:1 may benefit a lot from a gray screen with some gain such as the High Contrast.

Hopefully now that we have a clear picture someone will come along with a similar projector and offer some input.

If price is a issue you might want to look thru the DIY forum also there are lots of good ideas there and well under a hundred bucks. The advantage of DIY it's a approach that lets you customize as you go.

Bud

post #5 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 AM

I have same panny unit, 13' diaginal, no ambiant light,
relatively narrow viewing angles, 4 seats, stacked, 2 and 2.
I have matte white wall now, and was wondering if going
gray provides obvious benefits.
Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I think you'd be far better off investigating new projectors rather than throwing money at trying to eke out a little better image quality from a 10 year old pj. For example, Acer's X1320WH sells for less than $500 and would provide higher resolution & far better contrast than your old Panny. Posts in the "Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP" forum may offer up some better recommendations if you care to research it further.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/EY.JDK04.018
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page