post #691 of 715 Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

What ...no more Love from HTDepot in this thread anymore ?

I thought I'd update my experience with having had the Focupix 16:9/125" (120" viewable)/1.3 gain screen for about 14 months now. This is the electric model with RF & IR remotes. This screen has proven to be an excellent buy for ME. It has never had ANY wrinkles or waves, just a TINY bit of curl-in at the edges that is only viewable when looking for it from the side. It has been used a lot and been up & down many, many times and still works great. Sorry to hear (read???) that some others have had less than favorable results.
As to customer service I really can't comment other than to say that shipping was very fast because I've never needed it. Maybe I just got lucky but I didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ and this screen has turned out to be a great buy for me. JMHO

Ed
Blue Rain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 715 Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i agree old corps, i got the same one you have but about 3 years old and it still works and looks great.
Blue Rain likes this.

PenDragon

Carry your weapon responsibly. material things can be replaced, a human life cannot!
post #693 of 715 Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen_dragon View Post

i agree old corps, i got the same one you have but about 3 years old and it still works and looks great.

Good to hear. Heh, I'm also in Michigan--GO TIGERS!

Ed
post #694 of 715 Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 AM

lol, seems to be a good place to live with all this stuff going on in the world, no twisters, earthquakes....ect

PenDragon

Carry your weapon responsibly. material things can be replaced, a human life cannot!
post #695 of 715 Old 04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was considering this screen, but without a material sample (they will not provide one) I had to opt for another screen (Da-lite Cinema Vision) which seems to do fairly well in moderate ambient light. I wasn't too confident about the very white looking Focupix 1.3 gain material doing as well in ambient light, as many other mfr samples failed there too.

Focupix also sells a tensioned electric which should stay tight and flat. Can you guys clarify which model(s) you have?
Blue Rain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #696 of 715 Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM

mine is the BriteG Premium, and I'm running an Optoma hd66 so I'm not worried about ambient lite
Blue Rain likes this.

PenDragon

post #697 of 715 Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 AM
IPT

I have a motorized Focupix Tab Tensioned screen. For the money I am very pleased with it. I LOVE that I can make it go away. It's 106" so maybe not huge by many peoples standards but I can tell you it is a huge piece of white real estate when it is down. I find a few little glittery spots sometimes and there are some real light lines only visible in very very bright scenes. Overall as my first screen I am more than pleased for the money.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #698 of 715 Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm thinking about buying a 100-inch Focupix fixed screen in the negative-gain gray. (I assume it's negative gain -- .9?). However, I don't want one if the actual screen surface is textured in any way (like an Elite). I have a Da-Lite Hi-Contrast Da-matte now that is deteriorating and that I want to replace, but I have always enjoyed the powder-finish surface, as I sit very close to the screen to watch my super-sharp DLP projector. I don't want to see any texture in my new screen. Does the Focupix gray screen have a surface finish texture, or is it powder-smooth like the Da-Lite I'm replacing?
Blue Rain likes this.
post #699 of 715 Old 09-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Not much movement in this thread but my 106 matte white motorized will be here on Wednesday. Hoping for all the best. Regardless, my new Epson 8700UB still looks great, even on my fairly old 92 inch Gray Wolf II (although I could do without the sparklies, which is why I went with the matte white).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #700 of 715 Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM

In case anyone is still reading, my screen came today. Box was a teeny bit banged up but not at all bad. Screen casing was in perfect shape. Ceiling mounting the screen was pretty easy with the help of my wife. Some very slight waves on the screen itself but I am sure those will work themselves out after some time. Other than that, the screen are is perfect.

So far, my only complaints are that the setting of the top and bottom limits was a little confusing. Especially since I didn't even see where the bottom limit screw was located. Also, i couldn't find a screwdriver to operate the dang thing until I read about the handy yellow hex driver they included. After that, it was pretty easy. Only other complaint is the location of the RF/IR receiver box on the power cord. It makes for strange mounting when my screen is ceiling mounted and about 16 inches away from the back wall. I may need to get a repeater so that I can hide it.

So glad I went with the 1.3 gain screen. 2.0 with glass beading would have been too much. Especially paired with the great Epson 8700UB.
Blue Rain likes this.

post #701 of 715 Old 09-16-2011, 05:19 AM

Liked: 10
Just didn't want you to feel lonely. I still haven't bit the bullet what with finances being what they are and the great quality of my projector image on my white wall. Thanks for posting.
post #702 of 715 Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 AM

I would like to hear your thoughts on this screen as you get used to it. I would like to hear if the waves you mention go away.

Did you get the tab tensioned model?
post #703 of 715 Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

I would like to hear your thoughts on this screen as you get used to it. I would like to hear if the waves you mention go away.

Did you get the tab tensioned model?

Sorry it took so long to respond. Wanted to give it some full viewing weekends before I provided feedback.

Yes, the minor waves went away after leaving the screen uncurled for a couple of days. I didn't get the tensioned model and there is curling on the edges but it really doesn't affect the image much at all. Like it has been said many times before in this thread, for the money, I don't think I could find a better value for a motorized screen.

This video is pretty poor quality, but it shows the screen in action.

post #704 of 715 Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 PM

i'm interested in the tab tensioned model, but wondering about the install flexibility.

i have a beam running perpendicular across my living room and I want to install the screen behind the beam so that it is completely out of sight. In order for this to work I have to mount the unit backwards so that when it rolls down it is facing the opposite direction of a typical install. hope that makes sense. Is this possible? I am OK with the flush mount and in fact want to mount it as tight up to the beam as possible.

thanks for any insight!
post #705 of 715 Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post

i'm interested in the tab tensioned model, but wondering about the install flexibility.

i have a beam running perpendicular across my living room and I want to install the screen behind the beam so that it is completely out of sight. In order for this to work I have to mount the unit backwards so that when it rolls down it is facing the opposite direction of a typical install. hope that makes sense. Is this possible? I am OK with the flush mount and in fact want to mount it as tight up to the beam as possible.

thanks for any insight!

I have the focupix HDvio electric screen and it's easy to mount backwards since the case mounts to the brackets with 4 holes at each end.

I can't say if your case/brackets are different, but you should be able to download the instal directions from the site, get them to email them, or at least just ask them.

Even if none of that is possible, you can always get 'L' brackets from the hardware store and use them (in that case the screen brackets would mount facing up, as if it was for a ceiling mount.)
post #706 of 715 Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Sure this is an old thread, but everything is already here...

For those owners who have now had it 1+ years, still happy w/ it? Any problems?

How bout fixed frame owners? They actually sell a 138" screen (I don't think others do), and this would be perfect for my wall. Any feedback on fixed frames would be appreciated.
post #707 of 715 Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I thought I'd update my experience with having had the Focupix 16:9/125" (120" viewable)/1.3 gain screen for about 14 months now. This is the electric model with RF & IR remotes. This screen has proven to be an excellent buy for ME. It has never had ANY wrinkles or waves, just a TINY bit of curl-in at the edges that is only viewable when looking for it from the side. It has been used a lot and been up & down many, many times and still works great. Sorry to hear (read???) that some others have had less than favorable results.
As to customer service I really can't comment other than to say that shipping was very fast because I've never needed it. Maybe I just got lucky but I didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ and this screen has turned out to be a great buy for me. JMHO

Ed

Here's an update for ya. It's been 27 months now and my Focupix still operates and performs great. NEVER had any waves or wrinkles, just that bit of "curl-in" mentioned previously that hasn't become any worse. It's been a great buy for me!

Ed
Blue Rain likes this.
post #708 of 715 Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
my screen is no longer flat in one corner, developed a wave, it is a tab tensioned model.
post #709 of 715 Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

At about 70 months I have to say I'm still very happy with this screen.
Got mine on 2/22/07 and posted on the first page of this thread.
HDVio Focupix Electric screen @ 92".
It hasn't failed on me, down when I push the button, and back up when I push the other button.

I would like to figure out if I can control it with my AR Universal remote, it apparently has both IR and RF.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #710 of 715 Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got the 92" HDvivo 0.9 gain electric and installed it over the weekend. It looks really good, but man... this smell... if I have to endure this for three weeks before it stops smelling I'm going to be hating life.

Apparently the smell is from "PVC outgassing", it's the same at that "new shower curtain" smell. Whenever I roll out the screen I get a headache and I'm nauseous. If I ever order another PVC screen I'm going to mount it in the garage and roll it out for at least a week before installing it... whew.

I also have a small crinkle at the bottom that's messing up the geometry of the screen ever so slightly that's noticeable when using as a computer monitor, but not noticeable when viewing shows or movies... except that I can tell the bottom edge of the image isn't exactly straight. I'm wondering if I should ask for another one to replace this one over the crinkle... but then I'd have to wait even longer for the new one to outgas enough to stop making me ill.

I wonder if I ask htdepot, if they'll roll out the screen for a week in their warehouse before rolling it back up and shipping it to me?
post #711 of 715 Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 PM

I've tried contacting HTDepot about some questions I had and their customer service still hasn't responded, I even sent them another email on Thursday. I'm not usually awake during the day because I work nights and sleep during the day. So, email is way more convenient for me.

I am a bit peeved at this small crinkle and resulting wave at one section of the screen, but it isn't very bad. It's only noticeable if you were playing say a side scrolling video game and you were looking at the lower part of the screen... you can see the geometry is a bit off. Although I've seen CRTs with the geometry off that much.
I'm a noob when it comes to projectors and screens, but it seems like some amount of waves are a given with a non-tab tensioned screen. I guess if I ever upgrade I'll get a fairly expensive tab-tensioned one, but this screen seems to be quite good for the price.

The main issue I'm still having though is the SMELL. I must be especially sensitive to PVC "outgassing". I can remember when I was a kid, absolutely hating the new car smell and it making me ill. This is like that, but worse. At least it is finally subsiding to some degree, but if I watch for any extended period (like a full length movie especially), the migraine starts to creep up on me by the end of the movie. When I first got it, I was sick within 30 minutes though. Hopefully it will have subsided enough in another week or two that I can watch it for an extended period without getting a headache.

Anyone who is sensitive to the smell that can remember how long it took for the smell to become bearable? I don't mind if it smells right up close, but as it is it's filling up the entire room even with the door open and a box fan exhausting air.
post #712 of 715 Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You're going to have to wake up. They have banker's hours and are closed on weekends.
post #713 of 715 Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM

So both the RF and IR remotes while they light up won't control the screen anymore. I have to use the buttons on the control box itself.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #714 of 715 Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Liked: 0
Focupix 92" tab tensioned

Has anyone tried to use the 92" tab tensioned Focupix with wall extension brackets? I have a 52" lcd that I have wall mounted that the focupix needs to drop in front of. I cant flush mount or ceiling mount this screen. I need to hang it off the brackets I already have in place.
post #715 of 715 Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Should be no problem. I have my manual Focupix hanging from chains in front of my tv.
Reply Screens

Tags
Focupix , Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page