Focupix Electric screens from htdepot - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 715 Old 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
Got the new replacement screen and have it mounted. So far we are pleased. However, I cant seem to get the bottom limit adjusted. I think im using the right sized screwdriver (phillips) but cant seem t get the screw to budge...is it really supposed to be this difficult to turn the screw?

Regards,
Ricky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 715 Old 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM

Ordered "Premium silver 98" fixed-frame" screen. It showed up with the box destroyed and one of the holes in the aluminum didn't punch through so it was unusable. Sent it back...

The replacement got here yesterday and there are several "blotches" on the screen that are very easy to see when the projector is projecting a white image. It's very distracting. I tried to wash them but they are not coming off. I'll be sending this one back as well.

I HOPE that the next one will be ok...but I'm NOT spending 300+ on a screen that has problems and staying happy about it. They need to send me a nice perfect screen that looks and performs NEW before I'm happy. I WILL say that alex in customer service there has been very helpful and apologetic. A pleasure to deal with...just wish I didn't have to deal with him so much.

Oh and I did get one of those "flush" mounts from mountdirect...yes it's the same company. The first one came all destroyed in an unsealed USPS package. They sent me a new one out immediately and it was perfect and works great. Didn't even want the old one back.
post #183 of 715 Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It looks like that I am the first to review the TensionFlat screen. I was going to here some feedback however I couldn't wait to use my HC4900 projector. So I pull the trigger and ordered 106" TentionFlat screen.

First as what I described in previous message that this screen is considered as oversize item and needs to be delivered by frieight company, not the normal carrier.

The screen was delivered to where I work and was moved to the receiving dock of the company. The guy working at the dock called me and thought that this is something I ordered for the company. I called the carrier before it is delivered and asked them to call me before arriving to avoid this. However they didn't. Anyway, I got the screen and I field WOW.

The screen is packaged using long carton box and the carton box was protected by 2 inches think of wood frame. The total length of the package is about 10 ft and it is heavy because of the wood frame. I put it into my Explorer and there are about 4 ft outside of the truck.

Back to home and I took out of the wood frame and the carton box seemed good. No damage on the box. I open the box and found that the screen was protected by 2 extra inches of protection materials aroubd it. So there is no any damage of the screen. The screen itself is heavy with metal and is about 50lb. The viewing area is exact 92x52inches (106inch). However the total screen frame is about 112 inches long. It probably includes the tention mechnism and others.

It comes with hanging materials for both seiling and wall hanging. And the screen itself has two flexible hook on the top of the frame. I didn't use the hanging materials came with the screen. I just purchased two eye hook (3 inch long) and crew the hook into the ceiling stud and hang the screen on it. It took me some time to find the stud. However after I decide what to do, it didn't take me more than 10 minutes to hang the screen. Certainly you need another one to help when you hang it.

The down and up movement of the screen is very smooth, quite and quick. It probably takes about less than 10 seconds to come done and up. There was more than 12 inches of drop at the top. Since I have a low ceiling (8ft) I adjusted the up limit and it is very easy to do the adjustment.

The description is not very clear but OK IMO.

The screen itself is OK IMO. This is first screen and I can't compare with others. But since this screen has three year warranty and with the tension mechnism in place I don't feel that it will develop large waves. However I don compared it with the tension screen I saw in BB and I admit that what you get for what you paid for. I found several defects with this screen.

1) The battery in the remote control is dead. I don't know how long that the battery has been in the remote. But it only shows 5.8v instead of 12v if the battery is new.

2) There is a small cut on the screen. It measures 1/8 inch it cut through from the surface to the back of the screen.

3) The screen is not totally flat. There is small wave (2x4 inches) at the bottom of the screen and it seems to me that it was due to the manufacture of the screen. It looks like that the screen (white material) and the bottom frame (black material) were not sewed togather at the same speed and small wave was caused.

I have reported these to Htdepot and am waiting for their response.

I am using the screen with Mits HC4900 and the image is great. I use low lamp mode and despite that I don't have light control and the room is a family room and is connected to living room as well as kitchen, the image was so beautiful even there are several lights on in the other rooms. My wife watched Oscar award last night and was so impressed by the combination of the projector and the screen.

By the way, I will take some pictures of the screen and inserted into this review.
post #184 of 715 Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 PM

Hi All,
ok got the the screen adjusted for the bottom limit but cant even see the screw head to set the upper limit...there is an insulated wire in the way...i'll have to try to move it. Since setting the bottom limit ive noticed the screen makes some screechy noises while retracting but now skips on the way down! Its starts down smooth then starts to studder step about half way down. Has anyone else seen this? Its almost like the screen doesnt roll back up in a tight roll...I may give ht depot a call to see ehats up.

Regards,
Ricky
post #185 of 715 Old 02-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Spoke to the guys at HTDepot and they recommended I pull on the bottom of the screen while its retracting to try to get it to roll up tighter or more snuggly. I gave it a shot but the screen still studders at places on the way down...oh well, its a sub $300 screen so we'll have to live with it. Also, I found the screw head for the upper limit adjustment but its so far offset from the access hole on the casing that I cant get the screwdriver head into the screw. Another "oh well".

Regards,
Ricky
post #186 of 715 Old 02-27-2008, 05:03 PM

I just got my 100" up last night and all is well, no problems at all.
Thanks for all the great info on this screen.
post #187 of 715 Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
BTW I received the new remote the day after I called them.
I could not believe it, in fact I thought it was something else when I picked it up at the post office!! Geeze you give the postal service another cent or two per stamp and they all of a sudden get super efficient or what???
post #188 of 715 Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Just wanted to update my situation:

I can't say enough about ALEX and his excellent customer service at HTDepot.com. I've had some trouble with the new screens I just bought...the first one there was a manufacturing defect in the frame and he sent me out a new screen immediately.

The new screen got here on Friday and it had a very distracting blotch shadow.

At first the supervisor didn't want to send me out a new screen and wanted me to send them the bad one on my dime so they could "decide" if I was right or wrong...that kind of upset me and I told alex about my concerns. If it was fine I wouldn't be calling to replace it with the same exact one, right? I'd be enjoying my new screen! I sent some pictures that showed it plainly and the supervisor still didn't want to be helpful.

So ALEX totally goes to bat for me and talks the supervisor into giving me the customer service I deserve. He personally inspected a new screen for me and sent it out for me with a UPS label to return the old one yesterday.

I can't say enough about the customer service Alex has given me and I highly recommend that you talk to him when you call about any concerns you have with your new screen. He is very helpful and nice about it and might be the best CS rep I've ever talked to on the phone about a problem.

The 100" .9 grey fixed-frame screen is AWESOME with my Mitsubishi HC1500U. Hopefully I won't have to talk to them again anytime soon. The supervisor wasn't going to help me out but Alex was THE MAN and went to bat for me. I can't thank him enough.
post #189 of 715 Old 02-28-2008, 04:53 PM

I have done a search and I don't see an answer to these questions:

1) Has anyone tried to operate these with a universal IR remote?
2) Where is the IR eye located? I want to conceal the frame in the ceiling and locate the IR eye where the remote can "see" it.
3) Does it just plug in?
post #190 of 715 Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_robyn View Post

I have done a search and I don't see an answer to these questions:

1) Has anyone tried to operate these with a universal IR remote?
2) Where is the IR eye located? I want to conceal the frame in the ceiling and locate the IR eye where the remote can "see" it.
3) Does it just plug in?

1 Yes I have a MX-700 and it works great.
2 It is located on the switch, which is in the middle of a 12ft power cord.
3 yes
post #191 of 715 Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 PM

Post of the great politec
post #192 of 715 Old 02-29-2008, 11:10 AM

Thanks Craig,

How large would you say the switch is? So when you get the box, you get the screen, the power cord with the switch attached, and two remotes?
post #193 of 715 Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_robyn View Post

How large would you say the switch is? So when you get the box, you get the screen, the power cord with the switch attached, and two remotes?

Yes -- the switch is about the size of a standard deck of playing cards (with about 2X the weight though). It does have a metal plate at the back to help mount it, but I just used some nailed down velcro...
post #194 of 715 Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM

What Difference will i see if i move theEpson HC720 from 17' throw with 3/4 down vertical shift.
To 10' throw and no shift.
post #195 of 715 Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM

How did the screen work with Mits 4900?
I got one of those and looking to get a screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robul View Post

I just ordered the flexio 110" with a 1.3 gain.. I will be using a mits 4900..

My good buddy had the 120" viewable at his bar and it did indeed curl in a tad at the ends but overall I liked the unit so I went ahead with it..

I will post updates and some pics once it comes in next week.. Thanks for the thread this helped me decide as well..

post #196 of 715 Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 PM

I just received my Focupix Grey1.8 100 inch screen.
I would like to mount in to my ceiling. I am wondering what is the best way to do this. The screen only came with 2 weird bolts and I am not sure how they would go into the ceiling.

Am I missing pieces or am I missing how to hang this screen.

The direction are good on how to adjust the drop and how to clean the screen, but not very good for installing.

I will be using this with my new HC4900, my very first projector.

Thanks,
Ben
post #197 of 715 Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 PM

I got one of these screens (great price!) but I am at a loss as to how it gets installed (the installation guide just says it can be installed 3 different ways but doesn't say HOW). All that came with the screen are a pair of screws with plastic wall anchors that looks way too tiny to hold this screen up, and a pair of some kind of nut and bolt assembly with a metal sleeve. How do I do mount this to the wall?
post #198 of 715 Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Is there anyway to set the lower limit when this screen scrolls down. I have a fixed position I want it to stop at.
post #199 of 715 Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Is there anyway to set the lower limit when this screen scrolls down. I have a fixed position I want it to stop at.

Yes on the right side are upper and lower holes. The lower hole is the set down limit.
You need a flashlight to sse the screw head, they are not lined up straight with the holes.
post #200 of 715 Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idragosani View Post

I got one of these screens (great price!) but I am at a loss as to how it gets installed (the installation guide just says it can be installed 3 different ways but doesn't say HOW). All that came with the screen are a pair of screws with plastic wall anchors that looks way too tiny to hold this screen up, and a pair of some kind of nut and bolt assembly with a metal sleeve. How do I do mount this to the wall?

How are you installing it?
Wall or ceiling.
post #201 of 715 Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

i saw those screws - and I tried them - it did not seem to have an impact but maybe I was doing something wrong - was there a paticular process I should follow to set the limit (i.e. roll down screen to stop point and turn screw clockwise until it locks)?
post #202 of 715 Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Is this screen a step up in caparison to BOC or PP?
post #203 of 715 Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 AM

I oredered a Focupix screen... It shipped yesterday so I should have it soon but I'm excited... I bought a 110" electric screen with 2.0 gain and glass beads for HD front projection. I'll keep you updated.
post #204 of 715 Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Liked: 12
I've got an HC4900 on the way and was going to go DIY for the screen before I saw this thread. Can anyone give their impressions of the Focupix screens with this projector? Especially the high gain grey screens.

I'll be using mine in a room that is light controlled, but my wife will probably use it with ambient light conditions.

SACD library.
post #205 of 715 Old 03-23-2008, 09:13 PM

Anyone? I see lots of people ordering these projectors for the HC4900. Would like to here others impressions.

SACD library.
post #206 of 715 Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers View Post

Anyone? I see lots of people ordering these projectors for the HC4900. Would like to here others impressions.

I have a HC4900. I first ordered the Focupix Grey1.8 and it was horrible. it had a splotch on the bottom plus when looking at a blue screen I could see waves of shinnyness(this is hard to explain I could post a picture if needed). I just received the matte white 1.3 gain and could not be happier.

One comment I have is the screen trips my GFI every once in a while has anyone seen this?

Ben
post #207 of 715 Old 03-26-2008, 12:52 AM

Would you say these screens have a wide viewing angle? I am considering the 16:9 tab tensioned electric 106'' 1.4 gain white. I will be using this screen with a Panasonic PT-AX 200U in a room with a decent amount of ambient light that is roughly 40' X 40'. Cool basement, can't wait...
post #208 of 715 Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorrell View Post

I have a HC4900. I first ordered the Focupix Grey1.8 and it was horrible. it had a splotch on the bottom plus when looking at a blue screen I could see waves of shinnyness(this is hard to explain I could post a picture if needed). I just received the matte white 1.3 gain and could not be happier.

One comment I have is the screen trips my GFI every once in a while has anyone seen this?

Ben

Thank you. I was originally looking at the grey 1.8 as well. That or this high-contrast grey screen.

I do wish the website allowed searching/sorting to go down another level or two (screen size AND fixed frame AND material type versus just being able to chose one of those options). It's hard to find exactly what you want to look at, or to make a comparison!

SACD library.
post #209 of 715 Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

I would be ALL over this screen if the gain was higher and it could achieve results similar to the Da-Lite High power. Any chance of seeing that?

This is a breakthrough screen though. People are recieving a few lemons, but the value of a electric screen, with a specialized gain, and comfortable price tag- it just screams buy me.
post #210 of 715 Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
What's the difference between the Flexio and HDvio models? Has anyone experience any screen texture problems with these screens (i.e. seeing the screen texture during bright scenes)?
Reply Screens

Tags
Focupix , Projection Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page