XFS's Black Flame Screen vs. Draper Luma 2 Gray Screen - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 230 Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks pb. Nice to know.
I've sent an e-mail to the XFS site with a further inquiry.
Cheers!
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 230 Old 05-01-2007, 03:25 PM

Ok, I finally opened my screen, and I think I let it sit in the box for a few weeks, which wasn't ideal, but no choice as I didn't have time to put it up and with rugrats running around, it was the only place. I laid it out last night, with the curve part up, not down, so that wasn't ideal but this morning it looked like it flatted out just a bit. I might go get a clean sheat and flip it. But I have no heat lamp. Maybe time and a blow dryer?

Nathan, I remember you used industrial strength velcro to mount the screen and the frame right?How much did you end up using? I bought a 4foot lengh velcro box but I'm thinking that's not enough for the screen itself, not even considering the frame when I get around too it. I am thinking of going heavy at the top and scatter the strips on the side and bottom. Is this strong enough or shoudl I go full throttle and do all the sides?

Also, the velcro had no problem supporting the screen and a frame? I know the frame is separate and not attached.
post #213 of 230 Old 05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
jdang,

your screen is the 2mm (.080")... so it's less rigid and less resistive than njscorios (3mm, 0.125"). the clean sheet idea with the screen should work and no heater should be needed.

even after the 2 weeks or so in the box... the industrial velcro should work with much better luck than nj's... although, i'd consider one more 4 ft box.
post #214 of 230 Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

My screen and frame aren't attached to eachother. The BF screen is attatched to the wall with Industrial velcro and the frame is then overtop of my screen and attaches to the wall also with industrial velcro (my frame is a giant "window" I cut out of a full sheet of hardboard - $8) My frame is just as light if not lighter than the BF screen itself. For the screen and frame I used two three inch pieces of the velcro on each of the top corners (side and top of each corner) and then one three inch section at the top of the screen in the middle of it. The velcro easily holds the BF screen to the wall. I used wall tack (the blue putty stuff) to keep the sides and bottom of the screen stuck to the wall. This was all about as idiot proof a way to hang a screen as possible.
post #215 of 230 Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post

This certainly isn't a technical measurement but my comparison with Da-lite's Cinema Vision and my XFS Black Flame screen also seemed to indicate a gain of 1.3. The CV and the BF were about as close to identical in brightness as I think you can have so I'd assume using Da-lite's measurement of 1.3 for CV to also hold for BF.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your answer.
post #216 of 230 Old 05-02-2007, 02:00 PM

pb_maxxx, thanks yeah it's flattening up and I haven't even flipped it yet. Will do today.

Nathan, yeah I remember them not being attached therefore I am following your model, but I am going with the screen first just to get it up, and then the frame when I have a chance and figure out what to do. So the industrial velcro and nothing else? It sticks to the wall that hard? Was even thinking about drywall screwing it just to be safe but maybe that's unnecessary, and it sounds like you didn't even use that much.

My concern is getting it lined up all good with the projector. I am horrible and getting things lined up.
post #217 of 230 Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang View Post

My concern is getting it lined up all good with the projector. I am horrible and getting things lined up.

Trust me, I'm no expert either. I think an easy way is to have you're projector on and then mark the edges of the projected image so you have some guide marks to know where the screen needs to be. I figured everything out as I did, I'm sure you'll be able to do the same. I was worried about the velcro myself but it easily holds the screen. No need to do anything elaborate - unless you want to. Frankly if you're putting a frame up overtop you could just screw the screen to the wall and then hide the screws with the frame. I only did things the way I did because I wanted to have a system that wouldn't damage the BF screen at all. I'm in a small space right now only throwing an 86" image diagonal. I wanted to have the option down the road to remove my cheap frame and use the full 8' X 4' BF screen so I needed a way to have a frame over my screen but not attached to it and I needed a way to attach the BF screen to the wall that wouldn't involve going through the screen. The industrial velcro worked for me. And luckily (because I didn't plan it that way) the BF screen was just small enough that my full sheet of hardboard was a few inches wider so I had to room to attach it to the wall seperate of the BF screen. So my frame simply sits on top of the BF screen. Also, luckily (again because I didn't real plan it) the thickness of the hardboard and the BF screen wasn't to thick to prevent the velcro on my frame from being able to reach the wall. So a lot that I hadn't planned for that wound up working out. So just do it. You'll figure it out.
post #218 of 230 Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Yeah what I meant when I said drywall screwing it was screwing the 1/2 of the velcro that sticks to the wall, not the screen itself. However, that's probably a dumb idea and unnecessary.

Anyways, I'm not a videophile by any means, and I finally got the screen up. I have no other experience to relate it to except the plain almost white wall itself and I must say ... Holy Crap! Instant improvement over the wall. It was lacking that oomph with just the projector and the wall, and frankly I was unimpressed so far (and foreseeably so), my projector is the Mitsu HD1000u btw.

As soon as I got it up I didn't even get the sides or bottom secured I just ran to the viewing area and my dad was kinda holding one side down for me, and I was like OH YEAH BABY! I had Tekken 5 or 6 or whatever is on the PS3 store and it looked good but not great. As soon as I put the screen up a lot of the SDE that I saw from 12 feet away (97" Screen) was gone. I can still see it but not as much and not as bad. Probably the texture of the wall made it worse. The colors jumped out at me more everything just looked better.

Anyways, I have no frame of reference to compare it to, all I can say is I don't need it, If I'm happy now don't show me anything better ignorance is bliss lol. I wish I had a good digicam which I don't to get some pics but maybe I'll borrow one.

Thanks everyone, and sorry to hijack your thread Nathan, but this is the thread that got me to purchase!
post #219 of 230 Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang View Post

Thanks everyone, and sorry to hijack your thread Nathan, but this is the thread that got me to purchase!

No need to apologize, this isn't my thread and your post (just like my posts) is what this is all about - people who've seen these screens talking about what their impressions and others being able to find out more, ask questions and look at some first hand real world comparisons.

In terms of performance, all I can tell you is wait until you have a nice black frame up around the screen as well. And I'm glad you're happy with the screen. Coming from a blank wall isn't the best comparison, but like you said, who cares. It's that you're satisfied with the performance. That's all that matters. I also have the HD1000 btw.
post #220 of 230 Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and I was like OH YEAH BABY!

jdang,

good to hear you really liked the performance of your screen. you're the first one to report that they had it in the box for more than a couple of weeks. i would rib you a little... except that i purchased a subwoofer for my own ht 3 weeks ago... and i haven't a minute to unbox it for myself... ...too busy helping everybody else with theirs without trying to neglect family in the process. now that you've got it up, enjoy your new screen.

cheers.
post #221 of 230 Old 05-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have decided to do a 50" x 120" 2.40:1 ratio XFS Blackflame curved screen. After looking at the Epson 1080 / UH380 / Lumagen ProHDP / Samsung 1200 Blu Ray / on a puke yellow wall, I do have some pincushion I can't live with. My throw is only 12.5 feet and I'll have only only 1 row of seating at about 10 feet. So why not go with a mini IMAX. Can't wait to get my screen.

Pete, you got a PM.
post #222 of 230 Old 06-20-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I just went to the XF website and it says that manual pull down screens are "coming soon." I have two questions: 1. Will the pull down screens be made of the same material as the premade PVC screens? I'm hoping there's a way to do this, because it seems that this material would be very wave resistant if not wave proof.

Second question, how long before they're available?
post #223 of 230 Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

bri1270,

with respect to manual and electric screens...

we finally have a screenmaker/supplier that we are comfortable with... so we expect to be able to start shipping manual and electric screens by mid/late july.

the screens will be made from a pvc material that should be wave resistant.
post #224 of 230 Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent news, thanks again.
post #225 of 230 Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 PM

I'm changing from a Dalite Cosmo Electrol gray screen to a fixed screen and this one looks interesting. I am going to a fixed screen now as I'm sick of the waves. I have a question. I was thinking of attaching the Blackflame to a frame about 18" from the wall instead of right against the wall. The frame will be mostly open. So, it is possible that some light will get behind the screen (I actually have canned ceiling lights behind it that are seldom used). Will light penetrate the screen from behind? Or, do I need to have a solid backing? Lastly, will this screen have any waves?
post #226 of 230 Old 06-22-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Njmurvin,

the substrate is rigid expanded pvc... it does not have waves nor is it prone to waves unless they are purposefully introduced. attach the screen to the frame straight and it will definitely stay that way.

with respect to framing the screen away from the wall. there is no worry about light penetrating the screen and effecting the image.
post #227 of 230 Old 06-25-2007, 05:34 PM

pbmaxx,

Can I order the screen at an exact custom dimension (16x9)? It will be about 93 inches wide (exact dimension tbd). Also, how long does it take to build and ship after placing the order (near Los Angeles)?

Is it ok to place moulding pieces (finished frame) on top of the screen (via velcro)? I was thinking of building the 4 frame sections, wrapping in velvet and velcroing them to the outside edge of the screen material. I need to make the screen relatively easy to take down as this will be the way to get to the back of my cabinets where all the wire mess is.

So, the plan is:

1) build a 1x6 backing frame with sides and horizontal cross members top, middle and bottom (open in between about 12" to the wall).

2) Attach screen to frame via velcro or ???? (something easily removable).

3) Place velvet covered mouldings onto screen surface at outside edges (velcro?).

Will this work?
post #228 of 230 Old 06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Njmurvin,

yes, we accept and build to suit any custom size... 4:3, 16:9, or 2.35:1
93" wide does not present any issues.

it takes about 2 to 3 weeks from order to recieving your screen... even to los angeles.

your framing solution sounds fine. if you want the screen to be easily removable then industrial strength velcro should work just fine. you might also want to consider using 3/4" drywall screws as well. they will easily secure the pvc screen to the frame and should you want to remove the screen later.. then just unscrew the screen from the frame. just make sure you loosely hand tighten the screws... as you don't want to create dimples by screwing down the screen too tightly.

any question you don't want to ask here... then shoot me a pm.
post #229 of 230 Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 AM

Awesome!!!

As soon as I get the exact dimensions, I'll send you a PM and get the process started.
post #230 of 230 Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Would someone who has extra Black Flame paint be willing to sell me a sample, lets say 20 dollars worth? I would like to compare it with my blackout cloth screen. I have a W500 and I would like to try and improve the black levels without losing too much shadow detail. PM me if you are interested.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page