post #271 of 1281 Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

. . . we are discussing releasing an entry level AT screen in the near future that will be very attractive for people with smaller budgets. As soon as that happens, this thread will be updated.

Can you give us some sort of an idea on the timeframe for this? Days, weeks or months?

Would this be the same screen material as your present line, but with a less expensive frame?

TIA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1281 Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I apologize, but at this point in time I have to say no. We are selling complete screens and masking systems now.

However, we are discussing releasing an entry level AT screen in the near future that will be very attractive for people with smaller budgets. As soon as that happens, this thread will be updated.

Thank You,
Ruben

I would love to see that product....would there be a chance that a Pro-Curve version be made developed

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #273 of 1281 Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Can you give us some sort of an idea on the timeframe for this? Days, weeks or months?

Would this be the same screen material as your present line, but with a less expensive frame?

TIA!

Hi Pepar,

I am not sure of a time frame as of yet but it is still months away. I promise as soon as we know when this is going to happen, this will be the first thread to be updated.

Ruben

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems

post #274 of 1281 Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I would love to see that product....would there be a chance that a Pro-Curve version be made developed

Ron

Hi Ron,

We have no intention at this time of releasing an entry level curved screen. When and if the entry level SmX screen becomes available, it will be available as a flat frame.

Ruben

post #275 of 1281 Old 11-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Hi Pepar,

I am not sure of a time frame as of yet but it is still months away. I promise as soon as we know when this is going to happen, this will be the first thread to be updated.

Thank you, Reuben. Just one more tidbit I'd like to s-q-u-e-e-z-e out of you to help me make a decision: Can you give us any idea of the percentage decrease the entry level screens will be from your present line of screens?

I'll owe you a BIG thanks if you can answer this one!

- it's never done!

post #276 of 1281 Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you, Reuben. Just one more tidbit I'd like to s-q-u-e-e-z-e out of you to help me make a decision: Can you give us any idea of the percentage decrease the entry level screens will be from your present line of screens?

I'll owe you a BIG thanks if you can answer this one!

Hi Pepar,

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Do you mean as far as level of performance?

Ruben

post #277 of 1281 Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Hi Pepar,

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Do you mean as far as level of performance?

Same material, right? If so, same performance. What I mean is that the entry level screens will be x% less expensive than your present line. What is "x"?

- it's never done!

post #278 of 1281 Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
So what is the gain on this screen? Reading the thread it has been listed at 6.5 % loss which to me sounds like a negative gain, 1.16/1.3, and about the same as the Studio Tech 130.
post #279 of 1281 Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How is 1.16 or 1.3 "negative"? Supposedly, the gain is above 1.0, which is good for an acoustically transparent screen.

Bob
post #280 of 1281 Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

How is 1.16 or 1.3 "negative"? Supposedly, the gain is above 1.0, which is good for an acoustically transparent screen.

It's listed as 1.13, but I'm not sure if that's before the 5% (7%?) loss for the "holes." Either way, there's slight gain.

- it's never done!

post #281 of 1281 Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

To say it a different way.....

So what is the gain on this screen?

6.5 % loss
about the same as the Studio Tech 130

In this thread there are the four numbers/comparisons above.

SandmanX posted the 6.5% loss but does not say from what. Is that 6.5% below unity or 6.5% below ?.?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

post #282 of 1281 Old 11-17-2007, 04:50 PM

Liked: 13
This is from the SMX site. It sure seems to say that SMX does have a positive gain and other AT screens do not.

The Highest Gain Weaved Screen (1.16 Gain)
SMX is currently the highest gain weaved audio transparent projector screen on the market. The gain of the SmX CineWeave™ HD gives your projected image a back lit look to it. This means that your projected image will not look as if it is just being projected on a screen material such as other weaved screens with a negative gain. Other matte white woven audio transparent screens on the market have negative gains as low as -.83

The comparison above was done side by side with two other leading matte white weaved screens using an IRE-100 test screen.

Maybe Sandman can jump in w/ the final word and end the confusion.

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #283 of 1281 Old 11-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_bit_bucket View Post

To say it a different way.....

So what is the gain on this screen?

6.5 % loss
about the same as the Studio Tech 130

In this thread there are the four numbers/comparisons above.

SandmanX posted the 6.5% loss but does not say from what. Is that 6.5% below unity or 6.5% below ?.?.

It's listed as 1.16 gain. That *should* be after thew 6.5% loss (from the "holes" in the weave for those who are wondering), otherwise it should be spec's as 1.0846. Either way, it has gain and not loss.

Reuben ? ?

- it's never done!

post #284 of 1281 Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Yes folks,

When the CineWeave was tested as a solid screen it was tested as a 1.243 gain. Then they minus the 6.5% from the 1.243 for the audio transparency version and it came out to 1.162205 or for short, 1.16 gain.

Ruben

post #285 of 1281 Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I did not read the web site closely enough and missed the specification.

Quote:

Yes folks,

When the CineWeave was tested as a solid screen it was tested as a 1.243 gain. Then they minus the 6.5% from the 1.243 for the audio transparency version and it came out to 1.162205 or for short, 1.16 gain.

Ruben

post #286 of 1281 Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Anyone using the non-AT solid screen yet? Ruben, is it even being sold yet? Any more information on the solid screen materials? I scoured your website, but found no info.

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paradigm Studio 60v3, Studio 570v3, Studio 20v5, Onkyo TX-NR808, PS3, Chromecast, Acer H6510BD
post #287 of 1281 Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldog78 View Post

Anyone using the non-AT solid screen yet? Ruben, is it even being sold yet? Any more information on the solid screen materials? I scoured your website, but found no info.

Thanks.

Hi Sal,

Yes, we do offer a 1.4 gain solid screen. There is a white paper for it on our site in the support section here http://www.smxscreen.com/CineMatte-Plus-White-Paper.pdf

We are working on adding some new sections to our site here by the end of this year so there will be a screen surface section added as well.

Ruben

post #288 of 1281 Old 12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, one justification for spending as much on a screen as this will be is that it is a reusable component. However the way to get rid of morie is to rotate the material. Is the amount of screen material rotation projector specific enough that when I upgrade in a few years I will have to replace the screen? Currently using a Infocus SP 777 3 chip DLP. Looking to go with a 130 inch wide 2.37 scope screen. Presume that my next PJ will be a 1080 3 chip DLP (when the price is right) unless that does not happen before this PJ fails.
post #289 of 1281 Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:

Ok, one justification for spending as much on a screen as this will be is that it is a reusable component. However the way to get rid of morie is to rotate the material. Is the amount of screen material rotation projector specific enough that when I upgrade in a few years I will have to replace the screen? Currently using a Infocus SP 777 3 chip DLP. Looking to go with a 130 inch wide 2.37 scope screen. Presume that my next PJ will be a 1080 3 chip DLP (when the price is right) unless that does not happen before this PJ fails.

When I built my 120" wide 16:9 SMX I rotated it 15 degrees. I'm using it with a 1080 pj that's no where near as bright as the 3 chip DLP will be. But FWIW at 1080 (JVC RS1) I get no morie at all.
post #290 of 1281 Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Usually, the maximum degree of tilt is moiré proof for all 720 and 1080 projectors. If you run into any problems down the road after upgrading projectors, give us a call and we will make it right.

I also just picked up the inFocus SP777 on Friday for my theater and it was an incredible upgrade. I previously had the Optoma H79 which was a very nice single chip projector, but having to change bulbs every 500 hours to keep the brightness up on my 144" wide screen got sickening.

Ruben

post #291 of 1281 Old 12-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Hey SandmanX,

Its about time for me to pick up a screen...Will you be selling solid, manual pull down screens anytime in the near future? If so, drop me a pm with availabilty and pricing.

Thanks,
Sunny

post #292 of 1281 Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

So from reading the thread you are 144 wide on a 2.37 scope using an ISCO II lens. Is that correct?

Quote:

Usually, the maximum degree of tilt is moiré proof for all 720 and 1080 projectors. If you run into any problems down the road after upgrading projectors, give us a call and we will make it right.

I also just picked up the inFocus SP777 on Friday for my theater and it was an incredible upgrade. I previously had the Optoma H79 which was a very nice single chip projector, but having to change bulbs every 500 hours to keep the brightness up on my 144" wide screen got sickening.

Ruben

post #293 of 1281 Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So from reading the thread you are 144 wide on a 2.37 scope using an ISCO II lens. Is that correct?

Yes, I am using a 144" wide 16' radius curved 2.35:1 SmX ProCurv with and ISCO II and a Lumagen HDQ for scaling. The new SP777 projector and lens combo doesn't distort the image as much as the H79 did, so I am going to switch over to a 30' or 40' radius once I upgrade to the ProMask-Curv masking system (whenever time permits).

Ruben

post #294 of 1281 Old 12-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

Yes, I am using a 144" wide 16' radius curved 2.35:1 SmX ProCurv with and ISCO II and a Lumagen HDQ for scaling. The new SP777 projector and lens combo doesn't distort the image as much as the H79 did, so I am going to switch over to a 30' or 40' radius once I upgrade to the ProMask-Curv masking system (whenever time permits).

Ruben

post #295 of 1281 Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Wireless member

Is there any reason why one would not simply skew the material by 15 degrees regardless of the (fixed pixel) projector used? Are there any negatives for certain projectors for the 15 degree skew?

- it's never done!

post #296 of 1281 Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any reason why one would not simply skew the material by 15 degrees regardless of the (fixed pixel) projector used? Are there any negatives for certain projectors for the 15 degree skew?

Hi Pepar,

Usually 15 - 20 degrees works fine for all 1080 and 720 pjs. We haven't had any reports of moiré from anyone following the proper mounting procedure.

Ruben

post #297 of 1281 Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 AM

Hi guys,

gathering info for a new smallish theater and considering a 16:9 aspect screen - not sure of the size yet as it depends on the projector I get but probably one of 103", 110" or 114" diagonal.

It's going to be in a loft room with slopping walls (the roof!) and it will be mounted against the slope in an alcove - top is attached and bottom of the screen will be free standing a couple of feet away from the wall like this side on representation;

Code:

/--------------------\\
    /                      \\
   /|                  o    \\
  / |                 -|-    \\
 /  |                 /\\      \\
/                              \\

Yeah, well apologies for the crap drawing and scale but you guys get the point I guess.

So, first question, what's the weight on these screens (flat, not curved, no masking system)?

Secondly, I've looked at the mounting manual and I see that there's a metal bracket that the top of the screen attaches to, assuming that I get the bracket level, will the screen hang vertically without a rear wall to support the bottom of it? I do hope so as I didn't want to start building false walls etc.

Thirdly; any idea why member registrations disabled on the SmX forum?

Thanks.

I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing." ~ D.Adams
post #298 of 1281 Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianMills View Post

Hi guys,

gathering info for a new smallish theater and considering a 16:9 aspect screen - not sure of the size yet as it depends on the projector I get but probably one of 103", 110" or 114" diagonal.

It's going to be in a loft room with slopping walls (the roof!) and it will be mounted against the slope in an alcove - top is attached and bottom of the screen will be free standing a couple of feet away from the wall like this side on representation;

Code:

/--------------------\\
    /                      \\
   /|                  o    \\
  / |                 -|-    \\
 /  |                 /\\      \\
/                              \\

Yeah, well apologies for the crap drawing and scale but you guys get the point I guess.

So, first question, what's the weight on these screens (flat, not curved, no masking system)?

Secondly, I've looked at the mounting manual and I see that there's a metal bracket that the top of the screen attaches to, assuming that I get the bracket level, will the screen hang vertically without a rear wall to support the bottom of it? I do hope so as I didn't want to start building false walls etc.

Thirdly; any idea why member registrations disabled on the SmX forum?

Thanks.

Hi Adrian,

It looks like you are going to have to build a false wall or use some type of support system that supports the bottom of the screen. If you just mount the top with our bracket and no support on the bottom, by nature, the screen will pull in on the bottom. So the screen would hang almost like the slope you are hanging the screen in front of without having a surface below to rest against.

Building a false wall can be simple if you have some DIY skills. Its just a matter of using some 2" x 4"s or 2" x 2"s, black paint and some fabric. Most people do not drywall the false wall. There are allot of false wall ideas here on AVS as well as on SmX.

If a false wall is absolutely out of the question, we can most likely build you some supports for the bottom of the screen or show you how.

The insulated ProLine frame weighs 1.375 lbs. per linear frame foot. So a 114" diagonal 16:9 ProLine frame will weigh 39 lbs.

We temporarily disabled the new user registration on the SMX forums due to all the spam bots that keep posting spam messages in the forums. We are working on an update to fix this.

Ruben

post #299 of 1281 Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:

We temporarily disabled the new user registration on the SMX forums due to all the spam bots that keep posting spam messages in the forums. We are working on an update to fix this.

Ruben

I wonder how AVS keeps the spam-bots out. I never see spam here. You're tight with them, right? Maybe you can get some info from them. Spam is such a frustrating thing to deal with. We finally had to host our company email with google. Our email server was getting crushed and we couldn't stop it.
post #300 of 1281 Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I wonder how AVS keeps the spam-bots out. I never see spam here. You're tight with them, right? Maybe you can get some info from them. Spam is such a frustrating thing to deal with. We finally had to host our company email with google. Our email server was getting crushed and we couldn't stop it.

Yes, it is unfortunate. AVS has allot of moderators so they most likely delete spam posts before anyone sees it. I've seen a few spam bot posts here on AVS as well but the mods deleted the posts shortly after. There are a few forum fixes we tried for the spam but they failed.

Email is a big problem for us as well, we get emails every now and then from customers that inform us that they have not received a reply from us. Usually after a few attempts they get the mail but it can be quite frustrating. We may end up having to go the gmail way as well.

Ruben

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page