post #361 of 1281 Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwansumadis View Post

So where do I go to to get prices on these screens? The screen site or somewhere here on AVS. I have bought stuff on AVS forum before by simply hitting the link from one of the e-tailers at the top of the page. I guess there is a different way to get prices for these on AVS? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, just want to get some prices.

Also, I currently have a DaLite DaSnap Audio vision screen. Would I be able to buy a SMX screen and attach it to my current frame? It sounds like that is not available anymore right?

Go to the AV Science store tab at the top of the forum...that takes you to AVS's retail website. There will be a contact tab on their website with both email and phone number's for Jason or Richard.

Either one of those guys can get you a quote for SMX screens.

Hope this helps

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1281 Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Hi Doc,

Very much comparable but has a wider viewing cone and is very uniform without a shimmering effect. Maybe Art will share his feedback on it once he gets it. I think he has a ST130 screen?

Ruben

When a fellow HT enthusiast was here a week ago looking at the SmX screen material and my perfed 1.3 gain Stewart Firehawk we held a 2x2 section of CineWeave on the Firehawk for comparison. Among other things, we noticed that when we walked off axis the image on the CineWeave got brighter. Now I'm thinking that it didn't get brighter, but rather it remained the same and the Firehawk got dimmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 1281 Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I used MDF... works like wood but seems to be stable in a 10' wide 16:9 frame. I have no complaints. I just got done watching HP on Ruben's wonderfull SMX material. No wrinkles. The key is don't pull it too tight, realizing that a littel un-evenness from being a little loose won't be visible. Stretching it tight can create tension waves.

I experimented with tension using thumbtacks. When I got it the way I wanted it I finished it off with a staple gun. I'm very pleased with the results.

I don't really have any complaints on mine either. I've had it up for almost a year now (through all the seasons) and I've just had to adjust it twice - and not recently. I think it is pretty stable now.

I agree that aluminum would be a better option, but for the price and simplicity of my frame, I have absolutely no complaints.

ebr

post #364 of 1281 Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 PM
DBI

Location: Major residence in Sammamish Wa. @ Vacation home in Lake Havasu City Az
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading all 300+ posts and much consternation deciding between a Stewart curved 120" wide G3 at screen and SMX 120" curved at screen, I chose the SMX. Ruben has been very helpful through the process with absolutely no pressure to buy his product. From all my reading it should be a better product. I wish it had slightly more gain but I'm sure it will be bright enough with the right vp. At this point I plan to use a RS2 vp which is not the brightest. In a week or so I will get a chance to see a RS2 on a SMX 120'' wide screen in Lake Havasu City. This will be excellent opportunity to see the two together. My SMX will be arriving there mid to end of next week.

Doug
post #365 of 1281 Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Right now we are working on packing methods to minimize cost and fine tuning some other details on the SmX Studio Line before we make any official announcements. We will not be offering curved screens with the Studio Line, they will be flat fixed screens only. We will also offer the Studio Line with one of our new AT screen materials that has a finer weave and a unity gain.

More details coming soon.

Ruben

I am curious about this new studio line and had a couple of questions.

-will you offer the the 1.16 gain screen with this product? as I assume it is not the same cineweave HD material since it has only 0.95 gain. I have a JVC RS-1 at 13.5' from the screen and would like the extra reflectivity.
-is it possible to order 2.40:1 screen instead of 2.35:1?
as the website only shows 2.35:1 screens and I believe most BD movies are now 2.40:1.
-what size is the frame in the studio line and can custom sizes be ordered for the screen size in this line?
-I am interested in a screen with a viewing size of approximately 47" x 113", could you let me know approx what I would be looking at pricewise. I live in Canada.

Thanks

John
post #366 of 1281 Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Hi, All

I am about to make my final screen purchase decision, and just wondering if anyone has seen or tried this combination, and if so, what you think:

Sony VPL-VW-60 'Black Pearl' projector
SMX CineWeave AT screen material
Light controlled room
110" wide 2.35:1 screen size
~ 12' throw distance

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Cheers,

Doug
post #367 of 1281 Old 02-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorefours View Post

Hi, All

I am about to make my final screen purchase decision, and just wondering if anyone has seen or tried this combination, and if so, what you think:

Sony VPL-VW-60 'Black Pearl' projector
SMX CineWeave AT screen material
Light controlled room
110" wide 2.35:1 screen size
~ 12' throw distance

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Cheers,

Doug

Doug,

I have the smx screen and the vw60. It is a great combination. I have a 110" 16:9 screen at a 15ft throw. Call rich or jason at avs. That is where I bought my screen. They were alot of help
post #368 of 1281 Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 PM
DBI

Location: Major residence in Sammamish Wa. @ Vacation home in Lake Havasu City Az
My SMX AT screen arrived this afternoon at our vacation home in Az.. I arrive this weekend and have just over three days to get my screen wall up and mount this puppy. I have two questions that I would appreciate any advise on. In the downloaded assembly directions Rubin recommends testing for moire' prior to fitting the screen material using your projector. I haven't decided on the projector as of yet but leaning toward a RS2. I got a real bad feeling about cutting the screen material without testing it. Any ideas? The second question is a little off subject. On my screen wall I am using a product called Duvetyne as a black back drop. Does anybody know if this material is audio transparent and can be placed in front of my inwalls?
Thanks for any help,
A different Doug
post #369 of 1281 Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBI View Post

My SMX AT screen arrived this afternoon at our vacation home in Az.. I arrive this weekend and have just over three days to get my screen wall up and mount this puppy. I have two questions that I would appreciate any advise on. In the downloaded assembly directions Rubin recommends testing for moire' prior to fitting the screen material using your projector. I haven't decided on the projector as of yet but leaning toward a RS2. I got a real bad feeling about cutting the screen material without testing it. Any ideas? The second question is a little off subject. On my screen wall I am using a product called Duvetyne as a black back drop. Does anybody know if this material is audio transparent and can be placed in front of my inwalls?
Thanks for any help,
A different Doug

I passed this way before I ordered my screen without having my "next" projector. I asked Ruben about it - extensively (thanks Ruben!) - and decided to skew the material 15°-20°. Regardless of what projector used, there's no downside even if the projector's pixel structure is smooth enough to not need a skew. The next one might and then you're screwed if you didn't skew it. Screw it, skew it was my analysis.

Never heard of Duvetyne. Suggest that you look for acoustical specs on it. Off hand I'd say that if it is not sold as acoustically transparent, then it is not.

- it's never done!

post #370 of 1281 Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Duvetyne is definitely NOT acoustically transparent. Its a velvet.

ebr

post #371 of 1281 Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for any help,
A different Doug

Hi Doug,

Like mentioned above, duvetyne is definitely not audio transparent.

If you rotate your material to the maximum degree you will be fine, it works for all projectors. You don't have to worry so much about rotating because the RS1 - RS2 have a less defined pixel structure and moiré is less likely to be present at all.

Ruben

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems

post #372 of 1281 Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Screw it, skew it

Words of wisdom I will pass onto my two sons when they are old enough!
post #373 of 1281 Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback...

Any one else tried or seen this combination (Sony VW60 / SMX screen material / dark room)?

Thanks,

Doug
post #374 of 1281 Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

I have the VW100 and it works great for me.

ebr

post #375 of 1281 Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 PM
DBI

Thanks Pepar,Ebr and, Ruben for all the advise. The duvetyne apparently came in today and it helps knowing if its acoustically transparent for speaker placement. I won't get a chance to see it until this weekend. I was hoping it was so as to keep the in wall subs down low where the duvetyne will make an apron. Maybe I will have to use the grills or place them high enough to conceal them by the screen.
As for the screen material "screw it, skew it" works for me!

Thanks again, Doug
post #376 of 1281 Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Duvetyne is definitely NOT acoustically transparent. Its a velvet.

Quote:

I was hoping it was so as to keep the in wall subs down low where the duvetyne will make an apron.

Well, at bass frequencies, it just might effectively be "acoustically transparent." It's worth a try. Do an A/B with it in place and then removed.

- it's never done!

post #377 of 1281 Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Yes - in front of subs it might be okay - however, it might move/ripple...

ebr

post #378 of 1281 Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Yes - in front of subs it might be okay - however, it might move/ripple...

And punctuate big LFE events!

- it's never done!

post #379 of 1281 Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 PM
DBI

Quote:

And punctuate big LFE events!

I'll do a A/B and report back. Worst case I cut out a hole for the grill. Do you all generally agree that it would be better to get the in-wall subs down low vs being approx. 42" high behind the SMX.
Thanks,
Doug
Off to Lake Havasu tomorrow to play with the new SMX screen.
post #380 of 1281 Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I'll do a A/B and report back. Worst case I cut out a hole for the grill. Do you all generally agree that it would be better to get the in-wall subs down low vs being approx. 42" high behind the SMX.

Well, I would not want to take the chance that the screen would pulsate. Locating a sub nearer to the floor would provide some additional loading. Depending on your room, that may be a good thing.
Quote:
Off to Lake Havasu tomorrow to play with the new SMX screen.

CCCLAY, right? He's got the same screen as I and the pj that I'm seriously looking at buying. I'm interested in hearing your comments.

- it's never done!

post #381 of 1281 Old 02-16-2008, 10:07 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Here is a recent AVS shoot out that was done with the Panasonic AE-2000 vs. Sony VW60 vs. JVC-RS2 vs. Sony VW100 and a 10' wide 2.35:1 SmX CineWeave Screen. Since these are some of the top choice projectors right now, it may be a good read to see the results.

There is Contrast, FT Lamberts, Color Temp & Gamma measurements for each projector on the 10' wide CineWeave screen.

FOUR PROJECTORS ON SMX SHOOTOUT

Ruben

post #382 of 1281 Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Here is a recent AVS shoot out that was done with the Panasonic AE-2000 vs. Sony VW60 vs. JVC-RS2 vs. Sony VW100 and a 10' wide 2.35:1 SmX CineWeave Screen. Since these are some of the top choice projectors right now, it may be a good read to see the results.

There is Contrast, FT Lamberts, Color Temp & Gamma measurements for each projector on the 10' wide CineWeave screen.

FOUR PROJECTORS ON SMX SHOOTOUT

Ruben

Only the Panny was using the anamorphic lens at 2.35:1. The others were throwing a 1.78:1 image onto the 2.35 screen. I wonder what the RS2's FtL would have been stretched? Is there a way to look at the data and determine that?

- it's never done!

post #383 of 1281 Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Wireless member

Last night I went from being an SmX screen owner to being an SmX screen USER. I had some materials staging time in already, but basically it was two hours to assemble the frame and install the screen material. No need to recap the details, but I will say that I *did* read the instructions and that I, even as a first-timer for doing anything like this, had zero problems. Everything went exactly the way it was supposed to. I will say that regardless of how much space you have, there's a good chance that you will still be cramped. With enough included screen material to do a 20° skew on a 110" wide 2.35:1 screen, I found that I needed a 15' x 12' area. A little trick I needed to get the skew angle correct without having a protractor was to google and find a triangle calculator that allowed me to enter two "sides" - I arbitrarily used 60" for both - and to read the third side. In this case it was 18" and gave me about a 17.25° skew. I simply pivoted the material until, 60" from the frame corner, the material was 18" away from my reference point. I will also say that the experience I gained in covering my absorbers and velco'd false wall covers with GOM was valuable in "working" the screen material to get it even and relatively taut.

My current projector is a Sony VPL-HS20. Previous screen was a 92" wide microperfed Stewart Firehawk (w/1.3 gain). After readjusting my projector and zooming and focusing, I saw a picture that was vibrant and actually seemed brighter. My source was a BD30 running through a DVDO VP50Pro outputting a custom 1366x768. And this morning I zoomed a 2.35:1 movie - Spider Man 3 -to fill most of the screen and the image was still nice and bright. I have a still-in-the-box Panamorph UH380 and the RS2 tops my list of upgrades.

- it's never done!

post #384 of 1281 Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is Rueben selling the material on its own again? Or just with the whole frame and everything? I have an SMX screen but now I think I want a bigger one Current is 103" would like to go 120 or so but can not afford the whole screen just want material. Last I heard he stopped selling the material on its own.

Mark-
post #385 of 1281 Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

Is Rueben selling the material on its own again? Or just with the whole frame and everything? I have an SMX screen but now I think I want a bigger one Current is 103" would like to go 120 or so but can not afford the whole screen just want material. Last I heard he stopped selling the material on its own.

That is my understanding. SmX is in the biz of selling screen systems.

- it's never done!

post #386 of 1281 Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night I went from being an SmX screen owner to being an SmX screen USER. I had some materials staging time in already, but basically it was two hours to assemble the frame and install the screen material. No need to recap the details, but I will say that I *did* read the instructions and that I, even as a first-timer for doing anything like this, had zero problems. Everything went exactly the way it was supposed to. I will say that regardless of how much space you have, there's a good chance that you will still be cramped. With enough included screen material to do a 20° skew on a 110" wide 2.35:1 screen, I found that I needed a 15' x 12' area. A little trick I needed to get the skew angle correct without having a protractor was to google and find a triangle calculator that allowed me to enter two "sides" - I arbitrarily used 60" for both - and to read the third side. In this case it was 18" and gave me about a 17.25° skew. I simply pivoted the material until, 60" from the frame corner, the material was 18" away from my reference point. I will also say that the experience I gained in covering my absorbers and velco'd false wall covers with GOM was valuable in "working" the screen material to get it even and relatively taut.

My current projector is a Sony VPL-HS20. Previous screen was a 92" wide microperfed Stewart Firehawk (w/1.3 gain). After readjusting my projector and zooming and focusing, I saw a picture that was vibrant and actually seemed brighter. My source was a BD30 running through a DVDO VP50Pro outputting a custom 1366x768. And this morning I zoomed a 2.35:1 movie - Spider Man 3 -to fill most of the screen and the image was still nice and bright. I have a still-in-the-box Panamorph UH380 and the RS2 tops my list of upgrades.

Happy to hear you got your screen up and are enjoying it. Care to share some pictures of your new set up?

Ruben

post #387 of 1281 Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Happy to hear you got your screen up and are enjoying it. Care to share some pictures of your new set up?

Ruben

Yessir, as soon as I get the theater front put back together.

- it's never done!

post #388 of 1281 Old 03-01-2008, 01:20 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

News:

SmX will be at the EHX 2008 (Electronic House Expo in Orlando, Florida March 13-15, 2008
We will be in booth 2319 in the Emerging Technology Section to the immediate right as soon as you come in through the front door.

We will be doing a raffle for a free SmX ProLine screen (up to 120" wide in any aspect ratio) and multiple discount coupons, all you have to do is stop by our booth and register for the raffle.

We will be showing our ProMask-Curv Masking system in a extreme radius curve and our ProLine and ProCurv screens. We will be handing out screen samples and literature and reps will be ready to answer any questions you may have.

If you are in the area and plan on stopping by, come over and say hi!

See you at the show!

Ruben

post #389 of 1281 Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^^^^
Ruben,
Very nice. Am I correct in assuming that the "finer weave" material you alluded to above will be designed specifically for 1080, will not require rotation of the material and if possible will be even more acoustically transparent?
If so, put me down for one of those.
I got in on the original order of SMX material and have been a satisfied customer ever since.
To me the ultimate compliment for any component is that no one ever notices it.
They just remark about how awesome the picture looks and how incredible the sound is.
IMO, once you go with an AT screen, there really is no other option.
What do you think pepar?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #390 of 1281 Old 03-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

I got in on the original order of SMX material and have been a satisfied customer ever since.
To me the ultimate compliment for any component is that no one ever notices it.
They just remark about how awesome the picture looks and how incredible the sound is.
IMO, once you go with an AT screen, there really is no other option.
What do you think pepar?

I'm a believer/proponent of AT screens and, after struggling and ultimately failing to get the sound right with a THX Microperf'd Stewart Firehawk, I'm over the moon with the results from my SmX. Comb-filtering was a problem with my Firehawk and it cannot be EQ'd out. I have no comb-filtering with SmX.

- it's never done!

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page