SmX
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Yes, calculator tells me 11 3/8" but since I'm only 5' 3" still have a little trouble if the front seat is fully upright. Slightly reclined then ok. I think I'll just go with 11 1/2" and then if necessary do some cheating with four wedges under my chair if I sit in the second row.

But otherwise, am I ok with the 55.3x130 (2.35 pro-line) screen given my space or would recommend otherwise? Again, my throw will be at 16'. My HT guy is recommending 54x127. Thanks.

Hi Queen,

You may want to also plan your height with the seats reclined in the back row and seats upright in the front row because the eye level drops when you recline.

Ruben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1281 Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Yes, completely light controlled. HT guy was more concerned with my short throw, at around 16-16 1/2" and that's why he was recommending 54x127 (vs. 55.3x130). JVC RS20 with panamorph. Obviously, bigger is better if possible. Am I splitting hairs here or should I just heed the advice of HT guy and go slightly smaller?

I usually say choose a screen size that makes you happy and work back from there. Is he worried the image width isn't going to fill the screen width at that distance or worrying about seeing pixel structure at the distance?

Ruben

post #633 of 1281 Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

ruben, are there any dealers or customers who purchased your cineweave hd AT screen anywhere near toronto, canada? i think i may bite the bullet and go AT but i would like to see one in action first. any info would be appreciated. thanks.

Hi Anthony,

Yes we have dealers in Canada. Shoot me an email or PM me your email and I will send you a few in your area with showroom demos.

Ruben

post #634 of 1281 Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiroky View Post

I need some advice on screen selection for a dedicated room i will have (yes it is light controlled)

My room is 16'3" x 23 x 8'8" feet. I plan 2 rows of 3 seats.

What size scope screen is ideal for this room?

My wife and I were guessing a 135" diagonal but were not sure.

Also, for the projector, we were thinking of getting that new panasonic ae3000 that has the motorized zoom. that way i don't need to spend the money on an anamorphic lens. if we go the ae3000 - should i be looking at a curved screen, or a flat one?

Hi dsiroky,

What are your seating and throw distances from the screen?

Ruben

post #635 of 1281 Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

ruben, are there any dealers or customers who purchased your cineweave hd AT screen anywhere near toronto, canada? i think i may bite the bullet and go AT but i would like to see one in action first. any info would be appreciated. thanks.

Hi Anthony,

I PMed you a list of SmX authorized dealers in Canada.

Best,
Ruben

post #636 of 1281 Old 11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Hi Anthony,

Best,
Ruben

Hi Ruben ,

Would you be kind enough to PM me with that list as well ?

Scott..............

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #637 of 1281 Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Liked: 10
Just received my 130" wide SMX scope screen and will build my screen wall tomorrow. How close to the screen material are you guys putting your speakers?

Thanks,

Randy
post #638 of 1281 Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 PM

Ruben, can I have a list of authorized dealers in the Toronto area please? Please PM me.
post #639 of 1281 Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

4-5 inches, no acoustic issues. Make sure you have blacked out the area behind the screen or use the blackout backing that SMX sells. If you do not with a bright PJ it will hurt the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Ta View Post

Just received my 130" wide SMX scope screen and will build my screen wall tomorrow. How close to the screen material are you guys putting your speakers?

Thanks,

Randy

post #640 of 1281 Old 11-26-2008, 05:58 AM

Hello people!

After 6 months of hiatus from the AV world, and tons of HD being watched. I have to say my SmX ProCurve 2.35 has been a delight!!!

I really need to change the bulb for my HD1 soon, almost 11 feet wide to fill up.

My Theater
post #641 of 1281 Old 11-27-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Anthony,

Best,
Ruben

got it, thanks ruben.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #642 of 1281 Old 11-27-2008, 12:49 PM

Hi Ruben,
Would you be able to send me that list of Canadian Resellers also?
Thanks
post #643 of 1281 Old 11-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil31 View Post

Hi Ruben,
Would you be able to send me that list of Canadian Resellers also?
Thanks

+1 Thanks !!!
post #644 of 1281 Old 11-27-2008, 05:23 PM

+2 Also, for future reference

My Theater

post #645 of 1281 Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

My room.....is a disaster ! The alcove in the basement that I was intending to use has the water meter and plumbing on the left and the main 200A breaker panel on the right . I can build a false wall out from the back wall to "beautifully" enclose and wrap around these objects but I'll still need , or the Wife may need , access to both these Utilities , usually in a hurry

I was looking at the acoustically transparent screens as I can build the speakers into the false wall but...I was also hoping that this would come in a 2.35:1 roll up or drop down. If the screen was rolled up until use , the Utilities would be easily accessible . When the Movie starts , push a button and the screen drops down.

Sound impossible ?

Scott..............

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #646 of 1281 Old 11-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

+1 Thanks !!!

Thanks Ruben for your quick reply!
post #647 of 1281 Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Hi Ruben,
Would you be able to send me your list of Canadian authorised dealers?
Thanks
post #648 of 1281 Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

For anyone out in China, stop by the GuangZhou Hi-Fi Show and say hi. A 160" wide SmX ProCurv is being exhibited.

China country holds a number of hi-fi exhibitions, but the GuangZhou show is the largest, most prominent, and most prestigious. It's a great show to see the most incredible hi-end gear offered by China and the US.

Ruben

post #649 of 1281 Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ruben,
You recommend seating distance minimum 2 x height of a 2.4 cinascope screen. But what is the optimum distance if you disregard pixelation as a factor..?

Also, would a curved screen be a bad choice if you currently don't use an anamorphic lense? PROs and CONs?

cheers,
Jacob
post #650 of 1281 Old 12-10-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Hey Ruben,

Call me ......PM for number so I can get some screens, Im back into theater mode for a couple weeks/months

post #651 of 1281 Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post

Ruben,
You recommend seating distance minimum 2 x height of a 2.4 cinascope screen. But what is the optimum distance if you disregard pixelation as a factor..?

Also, would a curved screen be a bad choice if you currently don't use an anamorphic lense? PROs and CONs?

cheers,
Jacob

Hi Jacob,

When you ask "what's the optimum distance if you disregard pixelation as a factor", are asking what is the closet you can sit to the screen and still enjoy it or are you asking what is the overall optimum viewing distance?

Besides correcting bow-tie distortion caused by the anamorphic lens, a curved screen helps direct more light back to the center of the audience, helps keep light off the side walls which can sometimes reflect off the walls and reflect back onto the screen washing it out or color shifting the projected image based on wall color. One of the greatest things people seem to enjoy about curved screens is the increased perceived depth field they create opposed to flat screens.

If you are not using an anamorphic lens, you may experience a slight barrel distortion which is the opposite of the bow-tie distortion the anamorphic lens causes. However, it wouldn't really be noticeable while viewing movies.

Ruben

post #652 of 1281 Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:

Hi Jacob,

When you ask "what's the optimum distance if you disregard pixelation as a factor", are asking what is the closet you can sit to the screen and still enjoy it or are you asking what is the overall optimum viewing distance?

Besides correcting bow-tie distortion caused by the anamorphic lens, a curved screen helps direct more light back to the center of the audience, helps keep light off the side walls which can sometimes reflect off the walls and reflect back onto the screen washing it out or color shifting the projected image based on wall color. One of the greatest things people seem to enjoy about curved screens is the increased perceived depth field they create opposed to flat screens.

If you are not using an anamorphic lens, you may experience a slight barrel distortion which is the opposite of the bow-tie distortion the anamorphic lens causes. However, it wouldn't really be noticeable while viewing movies.

Ruben

Ruben,
I mean "the overall optimum viewing distance".
I want the first row to be optimum - to be completly engulfed in the movie, but without severe eye strain or having to move the head from side to side.

What I don't want is a compromize making 1th row so close it causes eye strain and second row too far to be good. First row center must be the perfect seat :-) as the HT primarily will be used by me and my wife. Second row must be "good".

Anyone:
Screen distance from floor...?
In my HT reconstruction, I am height limited due to sloping walls (attic). I only have 65" or almost 5½ feet of height if I go wider than 9.6 feet. The total width is 11.4 feet.

My current screen is 92" x 39" (2.35:1), leaving the bottom the screen 3 feet above the floor, with the three front floorstanding tower speakers just below the screen (the mathmatician will see, that at this width, I currently have 75" of height. This is about to be less due to accoustic treatment of the sloping walls)

With an AT screen, I can go lower - and therefore wider. The question is:
How low go you go, without causing eye and neckstrain?

With a 9 feet (108") wide (viewable) 2.4:1 screen, the bottom (viewable) would be 16" above the floor, with the viewing distance to first row 2.3 times the screen height.

With a 10 feet wide 2.4:1 screen, the bottom would be 11" above the floor, with the viewing distance to first row 2.0 times the screen height.

Obviously, the rise for the scond row will need to be higher, the lower the screen. At some point, second row will be looking (too much) downward...

Thanks in advance,
Jacob
post #653 of 1281 Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Ruben,
I want the first row to be optimum - to be completly engulfed in the movie, but without severe eye strain or having to move the head from side to side.

What I don't want is a compromize making 1th row so close it causes eye strain and second row too far to be good. First row center must be the perfect seat :-) as the HT primarily will be used by me and my wife. Second row must be "good".

In a small theater, a couple of feet of viewing distance represents a relatively large proportion of the whole. My second row is about 1.1x screen width, which I find perfect for both video and audio, while my first row is something like .7x. Most of the time it is myself and my wife, or myself and one guest (and maybe my wife, too), and we sit in the second row and are happy as clams. When the audience does overflow to the front row, people recline to get a bit more distance. Occasionally when we entertain four of six people, I sit in the front.

There is head-turning in the front row and certainly lateral eye movement. It is still an impressive experience, but it is obviously not optimal.

Just my $.02.

- Jeff

- it's never done!

post #654 of 1281 Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 AM

First row 0.7 x width = approx. 1.7 x height (2.4:1)
Second row 1.1 x width = approx. 2.6 x height (2.4:1)

So you see 1.1 x width / 2.6 x height as the optimum distance for a cinemascope screen?

Is it the HT “standard” to have the second row as the “optimum” row in a small HT? Or is this only in a medium or large sized HT?

When Ruben talks about 2 x height as the minimum distance, it doesn’t seem possible to have the second row at the optimum distance, since this will cause row 1 to be closer than 2 x screen height in small theatres (while this doesn’t necessarily hold true in a larger HT)?

So what is the general rule here for small HT? Optimum second row and quite close first row, or optimum first row, with second row as “overflow”? - Or a compromize: min. distance first row (2 x height using Ruben's advice) and somewhat more than optimum for second row... (leaving none of the rows ideal).

You also have to keep in mind that my situation is not standard – I will probably have a lower screen than most, which makes second row a challenge neck wise. Eye level will be approx. center-screen on first row, while it will be 4-8 inches below the top of the screen on the second row.
This also speaks for making the first row the best/ideal row.

I have considered making the rise for the second row tilted forward 10 degrees or so, to counter the look-down. Any comments on that?

No comments on the height above floor issues in my previous post?

regards,
Jacob
post #655 of 1281 Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

First row 0.7 x width = approx. 1.7 x height (2.4:1)
Second row 1.1 x width = approx. 2.6 x height (2.4:1)

So you see 1.1 x width / 2.6 x height as the optimum distance for a cinemascope screen?

Is it the HT standard to have the second row as the optimum row in a small HT? Or is this only in a medium or large sized HT?

I am w-a-y closer than most recommend, but I like it! Check here if you have not already.

Quote:

When Ruben talks about 2 x height as the minimum distance, it doesn't seem possible to have the second row at the optimum distance, since this will cause row 1 to be closer than 2 x screen height in small theatres (while this doesn't necessarily hold true in a larger HT)?

So what is the general rule here for small HT? Optimum second row and quite close first row, or optimum first row, with second row as overflow? - Or a compromize: min. distance first row (2 x height using Ruben's advice) and somewhat more than optimum for second row... (leaving none of the rows ideal).

You also have to keep in mind that my situation is not standard - I will probably have a lower screen than most, which makes second row a challenge neck wise. Eye level will be approx. center-screen on first row, while it will be 4-8 inches below the top of the screen on the second row.
This also speaks for making the first row the best/ideal row.

I have considered making the rise for the second row tilted forward 10 degrees or so, to counter the look-down. Any comments on that?

No comments on the height above floor issues in my previous post?

I did not comment because I am not a theater designer. I do recommend that a second row be higher than the first row. And I recommend that you visit other home theaters and look for yourself. Then do a side diagram of the seats, screen and projector with sight lines for the people sitting in the seats.

- it's never done!

post #656 of 1281 Old 12-15-2008, 12:27 PM

I tried the viewing calculator earlier. It seems to recommend way too far distances (compared to HTs in this forum). I wonder what the THX recommendations are based on. Without knowing, it is really useless. The optimum THX distance is about 3.7 x screen height according to the calculator....
I know seeing different HT would be best, but I am challenged by being in Denmark, where HT is generally not as advanced and widespread as in the US.

Jacob
post #657 of 1281 Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I tried the viewing calculator earlier. It seems to recommend way too far distances (compared to HTs in this forum). I wonder what the THX recommendations are based on. Without knowing, it is really useless. The optimum THX distance is about 3.7 x screen height according to the calculator....
I know seeing different HT would be best, but I am challenged by being in Denmark, where HT is generally not as advanced and widespread as in the US.

Jacob

ROAD TRIP!

If my room was bigger, I would have placed my first row at 1x my 2.35 screen's width and my second row behind it as close as possible to the first. However, I did not have the space and I wanted two rows. Home theater design is all about compromises. Take a 2m string and go to a commercial movie theater when there are not many people. Start 1/3 from the rear and work your way forward until you like the sense of immersion. When you find it, hold the string at arm's length with your fingers placed at the edge of the screen. Do the math on what that represents angle-wise and translate that to your theater. Make that your main row. Place your other row(s) forward or behind that as you like.

- it's never done!

post #658 of 1281 Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:

Ruben,

Anyone:
Screen distance from floor...?
...Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Jacob:

Don't know if this will be helpful at all, and maybe you've heard all this already, but, first, I'll make my general point: Is there any way that, prior to purchasing a screen -- or prior to finalizing your seating distances --you can set up something temporary (blackout cloth, wall, foamboard) and tinker around with projecting different sized images and watching them from various distances (and here I mean for many hours, not just a few) to decide on what you feel works best for your setup and preferences?

I suggest this because there have been many posts across different threads (many of them in the "projectors" forums), in which AVS members have talked about what they find to be the optimal viewing distance. Despite the general recommendations that various organizations (e.g., THX) make about optimal seating distance, time and time again it boils down to the reality that there are substantial differences across people in how close they like to sit to the screen just as in a movie theatre some folks like to sit in the front rows, some in the middle, some in the back. For the life of us, when my wife and I go to our IMAX theatre, we can't believe how some folks rush down to the front rows to watch a movie on a 80' wide screen that's six stories high! Eye fatigue, neck cranking, etc. Well, it works for them, but we head for the back two rows because that's more than big enough and plenty "engulfing" -- for us.

Aside from individual differences, another factor is that for some folks perceived "image size" shrinks over time. At first, my wife, for example, thought that a 6' wide image from 13' viewing distance was too big. Now an 8.5' wide projection for a 2.40 movie seems just fine to her. More specifically, in our small "HT" room (19'2" x 12'5" x 7.7" ceiling height) our viewing distance is 13' to the image. For TV (16x9) we now feel most comfortable watching an image that is about 86" to 89" wide (48--50 high), so our viewing distance is about 1.77 screen width. For 2.40 movies we like the image about 102-104" wide (x about 44" high), so about 1.5 screen width. We find the height on the 16 x 9 to be more of a perceptually limiting factor than the width, in terms of the image feeling "right" or "too big".

For you or many other members, these images sizes might be too small, or stated differently, if the images couldn't be made any bigger (which they can't, in our room), they would want to sit closer. But when we have friends over, even with our seating distances they often find the images to be almost too big, because they aren't used to it.

Finally, if "optimal" is taken to mean the single best viewing distance, then obviously you'll have to choose between setting your first row versus second row at the optimal distance, or as you note, choosing a compromise between the two. You've mentioned that you want your first row to be at the optimal distance. Some AVS members with multiple rows state that they normally watch from their second row because in their rooms that's the row that's set at the optimal distance; other's have the optimal distance in their first row. It just depends on their room setup and how much depth they have to play with (given a choice, I'd rather have the first row at optimal distance). So all of these are reasons why it might pay to experiment with various seating distances and/or projected image sizes prior to finalizing your screen/seating decisions.

Just one question: If the first row, center seat, is going to be the "primo" seat, who gets it when you and your wife watch together
Anyway, it sounds like you're going to have a great HT, and best of luck.
Mike W.
post #659 of 1281 Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 AM

I will play around a bit before deciding. I have a 92" x 39" 2.35:1 pull down Hi Power screen and a Sanyo Z4, that will be replaced this summer as part of the HT project. However, right now the room is an insulation mess and I might run out of time before I have to decide.
So I want to compensate for the many needed trial and error settings that I SHOULD do, with a little advice from the forum.
Among other things, going up from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 will obviously make it possibel to go closer with seeing pixelation. BUT I CAN'T TEST IT at home... I will, however, do some tests at local HIFI/HT stores.
I will also try to set up the screen and projector in a different room and play with the viewing angles.
But it won't be possible for me to put in many hours in each test position, as I should :-(

Jacob
post #660 of 1281 Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will play around a bit before deciding. I have a 92" x 39" 2.35:1 pull down Hi Power screen and a Sanyo Z4, that will be replaced this summer as part of the HT project. However, right now the room is an insulation mess and I might run out of time before I have to decide.
So I want to compensate for the many needed trial and error settings that I SHOULD do, with a little advice from the forum.
Among other things, going up from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 will obviously make it possibel to go closer with seeing pixelation. BUT I CAN'T TEST IT at home... I will, however, do some tests at local HIFI/HT stores.
I will also try to set up the screen and projector in a different room and play with the viewing angles.
But it won't be possible for me to put in many hours in each test position, as I should :-(

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

If you can post your room dimensions with ceiling height and be sure to include any posts, beams or air ducts that may be in the way, I will draw up some ideas for you to look at.

Ruben

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page