ebr
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Do you guys notice any video quality loss/issues with the weave SMX screen? I'm thinking of going to a 137" SMX Proline with a JVC RS10 - will it be bright enough to compensate for the "holes" in the screen?

I guess this depends on what you're comparing it to but I think you will be surprised. Will you have a light-controlled environment?

This stuff has been around for three years now and I can't recall a single person saying "I tried the SMX and I didn't like it because it was too dull/dim". In fact, I'm the only one I know of who tried it and didn't use it initially (due to moire') but I am using it now.
post #723 of 1281 Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Do you guys notice any video quality loss/issues with the weave SMX screen? I'm thinking of going to a 137" SMX Proline with a JVC RS10 - will it be bright enough to compensate for the "holes" in the screen?

Don't worry about the "holes" with regard to brighness. Instead, use the screen's spec'd gain (1.16x) when calculating brighness.
post #724 of 1281 Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I just wanted to say (since this is also pertinent to SMX products): today I was in an AV store and they had on display a Stewart 4 way masking system. It was only about a 105" diag screen (guess...maybe a bit bigger) and it had standard masking that drew in from top/bottom (in other words, variable) and for side masking it offered only drop down masks for 4:3 material. It went for between $17,000 to $18,000 dollars!

Given what you get in the SMX pro-mask system with each of the 4 masks discretely controllable (not to mention AT material), at a much larger size for a similar price, it makes the SMX look like a bargain in comparison!

I know Stewart also makes a 4 way masking system where the side panels move in from the sides, but I'd be afraid to even ask how much that one costs (and I don't even know if each mask is discretely controllable like the SMX 4-way pro masking system).

I don't mean to dump on Stewart Filmscreen because I actually like their screen materials very much. In fact I'm going with the ST-130 material for my own set up.
But it's wild some times how much you pay for Stewart stuff vs other brands.
post #725 of 1281 Old 02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help, I ended up buying a 2:35 150" wide Proline CineWeave. It's gonna be awesome

post #726 of 1281 Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Hello

does anyone use a SMX Screen with the Sony HW-10 projector and any issue with moiree?

thanks
Andi

Member of Homecinema Club Munich
http://www.heimkinoclub-muc.de
post #727 of 1281 Old 02-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I know Stewart also makes a 4 way masking system where the side panels move in from the sides, but I'd be afraid to even ask how much that one costs

It's the Director's Choice model and a 14' model will set you back about 5 JVC HD750s! In other words, it costs more than a Sim2 C3X Lumis!
post #728 of 1281 Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Since we are discussing masking systems I would like to take this opportunity to show you our new Black Hole Acoustically Transparent Mask Panel. This new mask panel is something special we have been working on for the past year and is absolutely incredible. It's acoustical transparency properties greatly out perform the other mask panels shown below while being just about as black as our velvet covered frames.

When you are watching dark scenes (night scenes, space scenes) in movies or television that is masked off, the lighter colored mask panels (shown below) are still visible if you are looking for them.

Our first generation mask panels were along the lines of Screen Research (as shown below) which were still slightly visible in these dark scenes. Our second generation mask panels were much better and darker than the other panels shown below but were still barely visible when you really try to look for them in dark scenes. Our new black hole audio transparent mask panels are now non existent in dark scenes.

Why does this matter? The projectors un-used projected black bars get masked off by these mask panels. Even though the projector is not suppose to be projecting light in this unused black area, light still gets through. In normal projected scenes this isn't a big deal because the brightness of the scene overpowers the strayed light in the masked area so the masks completely disappear.

The following picture shows the mask panels from SmX, Stewart and Screen Research all laid out side by side. This shot is unaltered besides being cropped, resized and text added to it.

We took these comparison pictures outdoors on a bright sunny afternoon in direct light so please understand that these mask panels are not normally this light colored under normal theater conditions. However, it does show you what happens when direct light hits the panels.

Here is the original photo that the swatches above were pulled from.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #729 of 1281 Old 02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet, now I know what to buy when my proline scope arrives

post #730 of 1281 Old 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have a DIY screen with your AT material (love it!). I was wondering if you offer the masking material for DIY'ers. It would be fun to design/build a masking system for my screen. You know... the hobbyist at work.
post #731 of 1281 Old 02-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Ruben,
I am building a false wall to mount the SMX AT screen on, and I was planning to use black GOM around the screen. However, it seems much better to use your black hole AT materiel...
Will that be possible to get, when bought together with a SMX CineweaveHD screen?

By the way, can you (Ruben) make recommendations on false wall design to accommodate a procurve SMX CineweaveHD screen ?
I will have three tower speakers, as well as a SVS PB12 plus/2 behind it. The SVS in the right corner - most of it to the right of the screen itself, i.e. behind the black hole AT masking material :-)
Room width is 13.4 feet. Expected screen width 110" (2.4:1). Expected visible top of screen 63" above the floor. Ceiling at 8' - sloping walls start at 65" above the floor at 45 degrees, making the ceiling approx. 6' 8" wide compared to the 13.4' width at the floor.

LAST, Does anyone know which direction the SVS should face?
The plugs and switches as well as the three ports are on the "back", but with 2" of OC703 on the front wall as well as 17"x17"x24" OC703 triangles as bass traps in the corners - stacked from floor to ceiling - maybe the "back" should actually be facing toward the audience?
Please - only comment on this one if you know the SVS PB12 plus/2 construct.
post #732 of 1281 Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Ruben.
Can you give us some more specs on the new masking panels.
Does this easily retrofit onto a proline frame?
If so, can they be automated anyway?
post #733 of 1281 Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Sandman, I think /a competitor/ has attempted to release a direct competitor with its new /woven/ material. Have you had a chance to take a look at this material? I'm just curious what your thoughts are on it. It's obviously lacking in gain compared to the SMX material, but I was wondering if there were other distinguishing features of the SMX material that you could point me to. Sell me, please.

EDIT: PS, that blackout comparison shot is amazing. That's exactly the type of real life comparisons that sell me on the superiority of your products.
post #734 of 1281 Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

My SMX came!!! 150" wide 2:35 CineWeave

Thanks Jason, Ruben and Ray!! SMX has been amazing to deal with so far.

Man this box is huge - 14' feet long! And it came on freight tractor trailer. He called me at the end of my driveway and said, uhh I can't get up there. So I walked down and he said I guess I'll help you carry it up

post #735 of 1281 Old 02-13-2009, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
heh...

Nice pics shawn. Reminds me of the day my screen arrived (as well as my SVS PC-13 Ultra)...

post #736 of 1281 Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I copied you

post #737 of 1281 Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome! Yeah those large ones are a pain to move around. Good thing you had a nice driver...many of them tell you to come get it off the truck as technically they aren't obligated to help (very different from UPS/FedEX).
post #738 of 1281 Old 02-15-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

I purchased my frame back in 5/07 and my screen material in 3/07, so I think that I am close to one of the original purchasers. Just today we hung my screen.

I had an engineer with me, and he was BLOWN AWAY by the packaging and the directions (for the frame) - commenting on and on about how he wished he had technical writers with similar skills. From what I gather the packaging has only gotten better. I have never before purchased something where so much planning and care went in to the design and packaging. People should study this, it was that good.

Congrats on such a great job! We had intended to only hang the screen, but the screen looked so amazing on the wall that we thought we would toss an image up. It looked so good we watched the entire movie, image not even filling the screen 100% - sitting in folding chairs, and with almost no heat.
post #739 of 1281 Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM

I also just put up my smx screen with jvc rs20 and isco 111 lens . What a picture... Better than i could have imagined. Smx builds a quality product with outstanding results. Ruben was very helpful in answering all my questions. 120in cinema curve screen with weave.
post #740 of 1281 Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Liked: 11
I have seen the screen comparisons Ruben you did with some of the other screens a while back like Screen Research (I have one). Have you seen the new fabric that Screen Excellence has? The weave is almost nonexistent. Pretty neat stuff.
post #741 of 1281 Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post

Ruben,
I am building a false wall to mount the SMX AT screen on, and I was planning to use black GOM around the screen. However, it seems much better to use your black hole AT materiel...
Will that be possible to get, when bought together with a SMX CineweaveHD screen?

By the way, can you (Ruben) make recommendations on false wall design to accommodate a procurve SMX CineweaveHD screen ?
I will have three tower speakers, as well as a SVS PB12 plus/2 behind it. The SVS in the right corner - most of it to the right of the screen itself, i.e. behind the black hole AT masking material :-)
Room width is 13.4 feet. Expected screen width 110" (2.4:1). Expected visible top of screen 63" above the floor. Ceiling at 8' - sloping walls start at 65" above the floor at 45 degrees, making the ceiling approx. 6' 8" wide compared to the 13.4' width at the floor.

The plugs and switches as well as the three ports are on the "back", but with 2" of OC703 on the front wall as well as 17"x17"x24" OC703 triangles as bass traps in the corners - stacked from floor to ceiling - maybe the "back" should actually be facing toward the audience?

Bumping this post in hope someone bites :-)

cheers,
Jacob
post #742 of 1281 Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure we can arrange something.

Quote:

You will just need to build a normal false wall in the same fashion as for a flat screen. You can see some ideas HERE

Build your wall like in the link above and make the window opening 6" smaller than the screens viewable height and the width of the window can be about 2" - 4" smaller than the viewable screen width if you are placing all three speakers behind the screen .

Once you place your order, you will get a shop drawing indicating the precise bracket mounting positions for your screen.

Quote:

I never used an SVS sub but I will comment based on other subs I used in the past. I'm pretty sure the ports can fire directly into 2" 703 as long as there is enough breathing space between the sub and the wall. It shouldn't change the output of the sub. You can also face the port towards the bass trap if the sub is sitting in the center between the bass traps.

The best thing to do is to get all your treatments and speakers in place and get something like Room EQ Wizard or R plus D (if you're not using Audyssey) to get some readings on your room. You may have to move your sub around to tune the room correctly.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #743 of 1281 Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 PM

thanks ruben
post #744 of 1281 Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ruben - Can you send me any info on the previously mentioned manual masking "inserts"?

Thanks!

Josh
post #745 of 1281 Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had an SVS12/2 before I went crazy and built my own sub. I had mine sideways on the stage but Ruben is right. As long as there is adequate room for air movement around the ports, the direction they are facing will have no impact on the sound. The sound will radiate from the source as a sphere.
post #746 of 1281 Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 AM

thanks ebr

jacob
post #747 of 1281 Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

We attempted to have a photo shoot today with a ProMask-curv featuring the new Black Hole AT masks. No matter how much light we had in the room it was impossible to capture pictures showing details due to how much light the masks and frame reject. This was the only angle out of all the pictures we took that showed the texture of the new mask panels.

This was picture was captured in a room lit up like a hospital with 4 - 400 Watt HIDs directly above the ProMask system as well as filler light in front of it. Straight on, the mask panels are the same color as the velvet finish.

(Reef and clown fish were Photoshopped in)

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #748 of 1281 Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Hey Ruben, does the SMX logo on the bottom of the screen come off, if someone finds it distracting for example?
post #749 of 1281 Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKiV View Post

Ruben - Can you send me any info on the previously mentioned manual masking "inserts"?

Thanks!

Josh

Hi Josh,

These mask panels are fixed panels that you insert into a track on our ProLine and ProCurv fixed screens. They will come in a set for which ever aspect ratios you prefer. You insert them into the center of the frame and slide them to the side. You have two panels for each aspect ratio. So if you have a 2.35:1, 2.37:1 or 2.40:1 native screen, you can add panels to mask off the black bars on the sides when watching 1.85:1, 1.78:1 or 1.33:1 projected content.

These mask panels will be available in either solid or acoustically transparent.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #750 of 1281 Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzTO View Post

Hey Ruben, does the SMX logo on the bottom of the screen come off, if someone finds it distracting for example?

Hi,

You can order a system without one. However the very small badge has a flat finish and is unseen while viewing projected content.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page