***Official SmX Theater Solutions Screen Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1303 Old 05-08-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Just so I'm understanding something here... could I very well buy this Pro frame screen and then if a kid decides to spray paint it... I can order just the material and swap it out without replacing the frame too?

It seems that simple in my head, but I don't think I've ever seen another company offer that service. (And it seems more doable with the way the plastic rails work, snapping into the groove...)

Forgive me for the noob question.

(disclaimer: I did help Ruben on the 3D render stuff of his frame, but I really wanna know the answer ^_^)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1303 Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Just so I'm understanding something here... could I very well buy this Pro frame screen and then if a kid decides to spray paint it... I can order just the material and swap it out without replacing the frame too?

It seems that simple in my head, but I don't think I've ever seen another company offer that service. (And it seems more doable with the way the plastic rails work, snapping into the groove...)

Forgive me for the noob question.

(disclaimer: I did help Ruben on the 3D render stuff of his frame, but I really wanna know the answer ^_^)

Yes. Replacing the screen material would be that easy.
post #63 of 1303 Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I never thought I would EVER find the screen to match my G90's to display the full potential of what they are capable of:

This screen is absolutely at the top of accoustically transparent material in the most uber top of the market!!!!!!

Absolutely sick beyond all sick of the sick!

And the frame?

I got to witness the new frame first hand over the past weekend and all I have to say is DAMN! SICK! UNREAL!

Words cannot explain how happy I am with this setup.

Ruben hit BEYOND a home run with SMX!!!!!!

post #64 of 1303 Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

post #65 of 1303 Old 05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Need I say more????

Holy, well, crap!!!!!

Amazing!

SMX ROCKS!

Cliff
post #66 of 1303 Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cliff, those screen shots are simply insane. You've been holding out on me, I needed some more screen shots for the site and now I got them. Rediculous.

Did you take that screen shot of the hand on the glass table too in the East Coast Blendzilla meet?

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #67 of 1303 Old 05-09-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Cliff, those screen shots are simply insane. You've been holding out on me, I needed some more screen shots for the site and now I got them. Rediculous.

Did you take that screen shot of the hand on the glass table too in the East Coast Blendzilla meet?

Ruben

No big dog, it's from my stack.

I couldn't believe how nice that frame is BTW. WOW!!!

Cliff
post #68 of 1303 Old 05-09-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
It seems everyone who get SMX loves it. My question is this:
If I am not interested in an AT screen, is SMX from a pure visual perspective still an ideal choice for the DIY'er. It sounds like a non-AT material is in the works, so this question may quickly be irrelevant. But anyway, if you were not interested in AT would you still use this material?

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #69 of 1303 Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

If I am not interested in an AT screen, is SMX from a pure visual perspective still an ideal choice for the DIY'er. It sounds like a non-AT material is in the works, so this question may quickly be irrelevant. But anyway, if you were not interested in AT would you still use this material?

The kicker is exactly what you said. It's an AT screen and should be used as such.

Cliff
post #70 of 1303 Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

If you don't want AT, there are other options that probably work better. However, given that this AT screen works so well, it is a good reason to use an AT screen setup. If, for no other reason than to eliminate a very large reflective surface at the front of the room.
post #71 of 1303 Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Stay tuned for my review on the SMX screen material/frame and pictures. Also, along with that, will be a promo we will run for a limited time for AVSForum members.
post #72 of 1303 Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 AM

Jason,

There's a post over at smxscreen forum from a few days ago regarding this that has not been answered yet. I have also tried to call Richard directly for the past 3 days, but he's o-o-o. Since AV Science is the distributor of SmX Theater Solutions products and this is considered the "official" thread, can you provide all the future DIY-SmX frame users an answer as to whether or not we can buy the material separate anymore? The short response from Ruben has been no...only with a complete SmX Pro-frame purchase...but Richard stated he would call me to discuss. I'm hoping there's still a chance. The products page on SmX's site still lists the Cineweave HD separate from the Pro frame, and a Buy Now button on the bottom of the page directing to AV Science.

Is this a temporary thing due to all the material going to the high-demand for the Pro-frames, or is it an end to the possibility of using the SmX Cineweave for all us planning a DIY AT frame?

I have been planning a purchase of this materal for a DIY frame for some time. It will be a tough pill to swallow if I cannot go this route anymore.

Thanks,
Jason
post #73 of 1303 Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

If you don't want AT, there are other options that probably work better. However, given that this AT screen works so well, it is a good reason to use an AT screen setup. If, for no other reason than to eliminate a very large reflective surface at the front of the room.

That is the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #74 of 1303 Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Yes this is true, currently the raw SmX material is no longer available for purchase. It may or may not become an option again down the road, but for right now we are only concentrating on SmX fixed screens and masking systems.

For the few people I was recently exchanging pm's with, please contact me and I will try to accommodate you.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #75 of 1303 Old 05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Falejczyk View Post

Jason,

There's a post over at smxscreen forum from a few days ago regarding this that has not been answered yet. I have also tried to call Richard directly for the past 3 days, but he's o-o-o. Since AV Science is the distributor of SmX Theater Solutions products and this is considered the "official" thread, can you provide all the future DIY-SmX frame users an answer as to whether or not we can buy the material separate anymore? The short response from Ruben has been no...only with a complete SmX Pro-frame purchase...but Richard stated he would call me to discuss. I'm hoping there's still a chance. The products page on SmX's site still lists the Cineweave HD separate from the Pro frame, and a Buy Now button on the bottom of the page directing to AV Science.

Is this a temporary thing due to all the material going to the high-demand for the Pro-frames, or is it an end to the possibility of using the SmX Cineweave for all us planning a DIY AT frame?

I have been planning a purchase of this materal for a DIY frame for some time. It will be a tough pill to swallow if I cannot go this route anymore.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I know we were communicating by PM, please contact me by phone and I will explain things in more detail. The SmX website is still partially in development and the frame and material are listed separately because they are two items that need to be described individually. The SmX Pro-Line series is a combination of the Pro-Line frame and the SmX CineWeave HD audio transparent screen material.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #76 of 1303 Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Hi Alan,

I hope you don't mind, I quoted your SmX review from the other thread we had going six months ago when you got your SmX screen. I cut out the DIY stuff so it doesn't confuse anyone.

Originally Posted by Alan Gouger on 09-23-06, 01:20 PM

"I have been using the Vutec Sound Screen AT screen for a while and happy with it other then I wish it had a gain to add some pop to the image. Im a believer regardless what projector you are using regardless how much light output it has (it could be a light canon) the image will always look more real and take on a back lit look to it if the screen has some gain. Hearing the SmX material measured at close to a 1.3 got my attention.

Time to contact Ruben. I was shocked at Rubens knowledge and time he spent researching the topic of AT material. I was impressed. I was presented with measurement results for both audio and video conducted for the SmX material comparing it to its competition.

What did the numbers say..Im sold Have no fear this stuff performs.

The first thing I noticed with the SmX material after it was installed to my frame
(only took a few minutes) was the bright white look to it. It looked much better to the sys with no image shining on it then my previous AT screen material. I could not detect any weave or holes beyond a few feet from the screen. I love the bright against the black velvet. It really stands out.

Performance of this screen met my expectations. The image now has that pop. It has added some snap to the picture and my colors have come to life with this screen and everything looks more natural. No moire, no material pattern introduced at all just as it should be.

With most material with a gain you can end up with a little hot spotting but this material with its gain is just cut off at that point before it becomes an issue. Off axis viewing is great. Heres a side image view.

HD DVD really shows off your system and it is razor sharp on this screen

Same scene with some lights on.

I have to admit I was not expecting this level of performance and service. This screen is a winner to my eye and ears. The thoroughness in research and testing proved worth while in this case. It adds yet another viable option to those wanting to place your speakers behind the screen for that real cinema experience. Thanks to Ruben for all your hard work. You did good my son

Edit: I forgot to mention my projector is a Sony 1080P Ruby."

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #77 of 1303 Old 05-11-2007, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My SMX pro line frame just showed up last night.

All I can say is wow. The box looked a little beat up from shipping, but everything inside the box was in perfect condition.

It took a few hours to get built, material strected and the frame hung. We ried to stretch the material origional just using the couple rubber plugs that came in the box. Found that it worked much better using the full length rubber that was in the slots for the black backing. Also the bar to hang the screen had a slight bend to it. Didn't noticed it at first, but after the first attempt to hang the screen noticed it was way off on one side. Oops, should have looked to see how straight the bar was.

Just watched a couple quick clips after the screen was up. The screen and frame are a thing of beauty.

Mike
post #78 of 1303 Old 05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_orst View Post

My SMX pro line frame just showed up last night.

All I can say is wow. The box looked a little beat up from shipping, but everything inside the box was in perfect condition.

It took a few hours to get built, material strected and the frame hung. We ried to stretch the material origional just using the couple rubber plugs that came in the box. Found that it worked much better using the full length rubber that was in the slots for the black backing. Also the bar to hang the screen had a slight bend to it. Didn't noticed it at first, but after the first attempt to hang the screen noticed it was way off on one side. Oops, should have looked to see how straight the bar was.

Just watched a couple quick clips after the screen was up. The screen and frame are a thing of beauty.

Mike

Hi Mike, any pictures of the screen?

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #79 of 1303 Old 05-11-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

I hope to have my SMX screen and frame soon I'll put some pics up with the infocus 333 when I have it up (hopefully mid month when I'm back at home).
Can't wait to see it in action after seeing some of the screen shots above - looks fantastic
Thanks again to Ruben for all he's done and supplying a tremendous product at a very reasonable price (my quotes in town were 4x to 5x as much for a similar AT product and screen)
Cheers
Calvin
post #80 of 1303 Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Hi Mike, any pictures of the screen?

Ruben

I'll take a couple in a little bit and post them.

Mike
post #81 of 1303 Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 AM

The frame is so black you can't really see it (especially with the black GOM wall), but here are a couple photos... (I'll try to take a couple better photo's later)

Mike
post #82 of 1303 Old 05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_orst View Post

The frame is so black you can't really see it (especially with the black GOM wall), but here are a couple photos... (I'll try to take a couple better photo's later)

Mike

Great pictures and great room Mike! Is that a grey screen wall?

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #83 of 1303 Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 PM

The front wall is covered with Black GOM. Behind the GOM, I painted the procenium with a flat black Behr paint. The ceiling is also painted flat black, the floor is a dark brown and the walls are a deep dark blue.

In the 2nd photo in the bottom right of the image is a digital piano that kind of looks grey in the photo. Not sure if thats whay you saw. Maybe the colors are just off on my display?

When viewing a movie the entire front wall (minus the screen) is totally black. However if I zoom the projector to fill the 2.35 screen (don't have my anamorphic lens yet), you can see the reflection of the movie / image on the GOM, but can't see it on the frame.

Mike
post #84 of 1303 Old 05-12-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

ebr,
Welcome to the Dark side. J/k

The talk of this material not being tested against Stewart is sort of incorrect, Im guessing it was tested for about 6 months against a Studiotek 130 and while the Stewart had ever slightly more pop, 90% of the people that witnessed the two side by side actually perferred the SmX and thought it had better detail, contrast, Black levels.

Trust me when I tell you these people are verrrrrry picky people. The screen size was 15' and the SmX hung in front of the Stewart for months and several movies were played and not one person ever said or asked anything about a problem with the picture with a seem and everything, it wasnt even noticable at 24' seating distance.

I might go as far as saying the SmX has more POP than the Stewart because of the better Blacks it produces. Being an AT screen, the contest isnt even close. Not sure where the comparable pricing is, when I was quoted pricing on a 15' AT screen from all the companies, they were nearly 10K, not sure what the current SmX prices are but Im sure overhead plays a part

Thanks Mark, I respect you opinions as well as EBR's and Alan's, not top mention many of the other folks that post here regularly. If all of you are happy how can I say otherwise? After just purchasing an ISCOIII and Cineslide I am not too intereseted in dropping more money on a screen right now. I'm also in the middle of remodeling my theater, and as some of you know that can easily soak up a lot of money.

I am going to unbox my SMX and hang it again. I need to refresh my memory since last comparing it about 6 months ago. Is it best to completely cover the Stewart so I don't have that reference?

If I recall correctly (it has been several months and I no longer have the emails), Ruben's frame plus the material was about 70% of the cost of a Stewart. I'm looking at a 142" wide by 60" high 2.37:1 screen. I could be wrong on the prices but it wasn't 2 times as much.

Yours truly,

The lone desenter
post #85 of 1303 Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Nowandthen,
I completely understand where youre coming from, I was as skeptical as the rest and remember Im speaking from a 3 chip DLP perspective so results may differ. I am also using a ISCO 3 anamorphic. The Mercury HD has more than enough lumens and contrast ratio to make an SmX look as good as a Stewart.

The problem with the Stewart is that it forces the speakers in front and underneath or all horizontally underneath while becoming a giant reflective trampoline that shakes violently under intense bass driven scenes causing an out of focus picture at the times it should be at its best. I will take a ever so slight hit in gain over a massive hit in audio and focus. The screen can be much larger with AT as well which was what I was after.

The appearence of even better blacks was something I didnt thing possible but the weaves seem to help
post #86 of 1303 Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes this is true, currently the raw SmX material is no longer available for purchase. It may or may not become an option again down the road, but for right now we are only concentrating on SmX fixed screens and masking systems...

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Stay tuned for my review on the SMX screen material/frame and pictures. Also, along with that, will be a promo we will run for a limited time for AVSForum members.

Hopefully it will be a great promo price. I had been following Ruben's theater thread, and then his DIY screen thread from almost the beginning. I'm finally at a point where I can start putting in my own theater and now it looks like AT might be pushed out of my price range!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #87 of 1303 Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason,

Can you give me a better idea on when the limited time offer details will be available? A few days or a few weeks?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the DIY route (either with scrounged SMX or an alternative material), but I'd like to know if the pro-line deal is within my reach before I buy.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #88 of 1303 Old 05-14-2007, 02:53 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeyer View Post

Jason,

Can you give me a better idea on when the limited time offer details will be available? A few days or a few weeks?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the DIY route (either with scrounged SMX or an alternative material), but I'd like to know if the pro-line deal is within my reach before I buy.

The best bet is to email Jason Turk jason@avscience.com or Richard richard@avscience.com for the info you need.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #89 of 1303 Old 05-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your going to anounce here when you have the offer correct? Also, any SMX screen available anyone, as this is the material I want for my DIY....sob I wish I had bought it already :-(

If the price is right I will just get the frame and screen, depending on the deal Ruben offers...
post #90 of 1303 Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:

I've subscribed to this thread and the other smx thread. Please do post any specials here so that I don't miss out. Still trying to get over the extreme depression that set in this afternoon after reading the announcement....

My 'theater for 2' mini setup
e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
x-meridian (modded opamps, cap bypass)
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens