***Official SmX Theater Solutions Screen Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ruben:

For an ambient light controlled room, and for a 2.39 187" diagonal SmX screen with at least a 2.0 throw ratio, what should be the minimum calibrated brightness of a projector? If you keep the throw ration large (say, greater than 2.0), would a curved screen still be necessary? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla View Post

Hi guys,

Using a 16:9 or 1.78:1 projector, an image for a movie recorded in 2.40:1 aspect ratio is emitted the width of 1.78:1 ratio screen with black bars on top and bottom... correct?

Correct.

Quote:

To create a CIH "Cinemascope" effect, that image is first stretched vertically to the height of the 1.78:1 ratio screen and then goes through a 1.33:1 anamorphic lens that stretches the width of the picture by 33%... correct?

Correct. Some lenses also stretch vertically as well but we will not get into that and make things more confusing.

Quote:

So, if you do the math, if an image is projected on a 16:9 projector, and then stretch the width of that image through a 1.33 lens (1.78 x 1.33), then that is a final ratio of 2.36444:1 projected regardless of the format the movie is recorded in... The vertical stretch will fill the recorded aspect ratio to the full 16:9 height and then that full 16:9 image will be stretched horizontally by 33%... correct?

Correct.

Quote:

So how can you possibly have an aspect ratio different than 2.36444:1 (I guess they round it to 2.37:1)? I see that's what the anamorphic lens manufacturers recommend if masking is not involved... is the extra width of a 2.40:1 screen to allow for masking and have nothing to do with the projected image? What am I not understanding here?

There is very little difference between 2.3644 and 2.37:1

On a typical 120" wide viewable 2.37:1 screen it is 50.63" tall
On a typical 120" wide viewable 2.3644:1 screen it is 50.75" tall
So we are talking about a 1/8" difference in height on this size screen, that is why they round it off to 2.37:1.

If you are using a DCI projector with servo zoom then you can watch 2.39:1 native aspect ratio movies without scaling/strecting or adding an anamorphic lens in the light path.

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

Ruben:

For an ambient light controlled room, and for a 2.39 187" diagonal SmX screen with at least a 2.0 throw ratio, what should be the minimum calibrated brightness of a projector? If you keep the throw ration large (say, greater than 2.0), would a curved screen still be necessary? Thanks

This depends on how many FTLs you want at the screen. Some people are happy with 10 others want over 20. The commercial standard is 14-16 FTL. You have to factor in bulb aging as well when deciding on a number.

What projector are you are considering for this screen size?
Are you planning to use an anamorphic lens?

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the SMX screen. The level of love, pride and thought put into the SMX products comes through when dealing with the company and specifically Ruben. Well done!

Thank you Ron for the glowing review! Our frame system was originally designed for our acoustically transparent CineWeave screens which are thicker than our Solid CineMatte screen surfaces. The mounting system is a bit more straight forward with the CineWeave screens. This mounting method allows you to re-tension your screen down the road if ever needed or simply upgrade screen surfaces (like you mentioned).

We are soon to introduce a new mounting method for all of our screens.

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Jackals View Post

Hi Ruben. It's been about a month since this post. Any news on the new attachment method?

Hi,

You will still need access to the back of the screen to mount it so I don't think it will benefit your unique mounting situation.

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I'm sure we'd all still love a 2.0 gain AT screen. Did that project die off?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you Ruben for confirming my understanding... Much appreciated. As erkq said, we'd really love a 2.0 or even a 1.5 gain AT screen if you could work that kind of magic... ;-)
Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmX View Post

This depends on how many FTLs you want at the screen. Some people are happy with 10 others want over 20. The commercial standard is 14-16 FTL. You have to factor in bulb aging as well when deciding on a number.

What projector are you are considering for this screen size?
Are you planning to use an anamorphic lens?

Regards,
Ruben

Ruben:

Yes, I would like to aim for 16 FTLs (perhaps a bit higher to account for bulb dimming/aging). I plan to use an A-lens.

I don't know which projector will be adequate. I need help in determining if this means $10K or $40K+. I believe that only a 3-chip DLP might work, but those are $40K+. How many calibrated lumens would I need? (Would the BenQ W6000 cut it? It has pretty high lumens calibrated.)

Thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

Ruben:

Yes, I would like to aim for 16 FTLs (perhaps a bit higher to account for bulb dimming/aging). I plan to use an A-lens.

I don't know which projector will be adequate. I need help in determining if this means $10K or $40K+. I believe that only a 3-chip DLP might work, but those are $40K+. How many calibrated lumens would I need? (Would the BenQ W6000 cut it? It has pretty high lumens calibrated.)

Thanks

I'm not Ruben, but it's simple math. Assuming a 1 gain screen for round numbers:

A 187" diagonal 2.37 screen is 172 by 73 (nearest inch) or 87 sq ft so for 16FTL's you'll need about 1400 calibrated lumens. Add in bulb aging I's say you need at least 2000 calibrated lumens. I'd say you're into 3 chip DLP territory. And that's with a 100% efficient anamorphic lens. Just zooming, without the lens, you're looking at 1850 calibrated lumens. Same room for bulb aging: 2650 calibrated lumens! SERIOUS iron. SERIOUS coin.

EDIT: Will the BenQ cut it? You decide...
Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi,

You will still need access to the back of the screen to mount it so I don't think it will benefit your unique mounting situation.

Regards,
Ruben

Ruben-

That wasn't me. That was Mark (marklabelle870). I just tried to offer him a solution. I am still interested in the new mounting option though. Please let us know the details when you can. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Hi Mark,

Send me a drawing (if possible) of your stage area and screen-wall and I will provide a solution.

Regards,
Ruben

Hey Ruben, here's the final framed out window.

110" 2.37:1 SMX Procurv 40'

The specs said 46.5 height + I added 7" for the frame - 53.5" Height
The width, I goofed on a little - I framed out 123.5" versus the 123". Think is took the 123.5" off the 30' dimensions versus the 40' Procurv. BTW, those are 2x8 top and bottom plates to accomodate the curve out to 5.6" in the center.

I just need best way to mount this at this point. Is that extra 1/2" going to be an issue? I can close it up with 2 - 1/4" pieces of ply or something.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabelle870 View Post

The width, I goofed on a little - I framed out 123.5" versus the 123". Think is took the 123.5" off the 30' dimensions versus the 40' Procurv. BTW, those are 2x8 top and bottom plates to accomodate the curve out to 5.6" in the center.

I just need best way to mount this at this point. Is that extra 1/2" going to be an issue? I can close it up with 2 - 1/4" pieces of ply or something.

Mark, Nice theater.

Hey Ruben - Does that stage look familiar?

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Mark,

Will you be able to walk behind the screen area from the sides after the screen is mounted?

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Hi Mark,

Will you be able to walk behind the screen area from the sides after the screen is mounted?

Ruben

Yes, it has fabric panels on the bottom, left and right covered in GOM FR701.

Mark
Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Any word Ruben?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any word Ruben?

Hi Mark,

I apologize for the delayed reply, we have been moving into our new facilities.

Since your ProCurv will be sitting inside the window frame, a simple solution is to mount the vertical wall mount brackets to the ProCurv before installing it. Then use industrial strength Velcro on the vertical wall brackets and also on two vertical 2 x 4s behind the window that line up with the vertical wall brackets. Let me know if this works for you.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

The picture above shows the screen wall with a large opening behind where the screen goes. What is the ratio of the dimensions between the opening and the screen size? I assume the opening is slightly smaller than the screen so the brackets can be mounted to it however I'm not sure how much smaller. (I don't have my screen yet so I can't measure the size of the brackets) FWIW, I'm getting the 130" wide 2.37:1 ProCurv.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:

The picture above shows the screen wall with a large opening behind where the screen goes. What is the ratio of the dimensions between the opening and the screen size? I assume the opening is slightly smaller than the screen so the brackets can be mounted to it however I'm not sure how much smaller. (I don't have my screen yet so I can't measure the size of the brackets) FWIW, I'm getting the 130" wide 2.37:1 ProCurv.

The opening was designed off the SMX screen spec sheet. So it's 123" wide and 52.5" high - for the 110" ProCurv. That incorporates the 3.5 border all around the screen. I put 2x8's at the top and bottom to accomodate the curv depth.

Mine has a false wall and I am mounting the screen flush with the false wall.

Here's the spec:

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Mark. I know that is your pic but I wasn't talking about your exact installation. You are recessing the screen into the window box so I understand that your opening would equal the exact outside dimensions of the screen including the frame.

I think most people (including myself) mount the brackets directly to the wall and the screen sits in front of the wall. Therefore, to catch the brackets, the opening needs to be smaller than the screen. I'm sure few inches would do the trick but I figured I would just ask to see if anyone knew off hand since I don't have my screen yet. Another alternative is just place two vertical studs where the brackets will go but I assume you want to keep the area as open as possible.

To sum it up in a single question, I guess I'm asking how far apart the mounting holes are on the wall brackets for the screen I'm getting. (130" wide 2.37:1 ProCurv) Viewable height is 54.7. So would inside dimensions of the opening 130" x 48" work just fine?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Mark. I know that is your pic but I wasn't talking about your exact installation. You are recessing the screen into the window box so I understand that your opening would equal the exact outside dimensions of the screen including the frame.

I think most people (including myself) mount the brackets directly to the wall and the screen sits in front of the wall. Therefore, to catch the brackets, the opening needs to be smaller than the screen. I'm sure few inches would do the trick but I figured I would just ask to see if anyone knew off hand since I don't have my screen yet. Another alternative is just place two vertical studs where the brackets will go but I assume you want to keep the area as open as possible.

To sum it up in a single question, I guess I'm asking how far apart the mounting holes are on the wall brackets for the screen I'm getting. (130" wide 2.37:1 ProCurv) Viewable height is 54.7. So would inside dimensions of the opening 130" x 48" work just fine?

Hello NJ Jackals,

You can make your window height 6" - 8" smaller than the viewable height of the screen. The mountable wall brackets are 4" smaller than the outside height of the frame and there are holes 2" & 4" from the ends and one hole in the center of each bracket.

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Perfect. Exactly what I needed. Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 AM

Hey Ruben,

I've been a lurker here for sometime, following your build thread and this thread and I'm finally ready to jump on a screen - but I have some questions I'm looking at a ProCurve AT 140" with the cineweaveHD in the 2:37:1 ratio.

1) Can I add automated masking to this later?
2) Can you please recommend some projectors (sub 10K) that will be capable of lighting this puppy up?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM

anyone else with a suggestion of what would be appropriate for a PJ for one of Rubens 140" wide ProCurv screens?

THX!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebarns View Post

Hey Ruben,

I've been a lurker here for sometime, following your build thread and this thread and I'm finally ready to jump on a screen - but I have some questions I'm looking at a ProCurve AT 140" with the cineweaveHD in the 2:37:1 ratio.

1) Can I add automated masking to this later?
2) Can you please recommend some projectors (sub 10K) that will be capable of lighting this puppy up?

Thanks!

Hello Charlie,

Currently there is not an add on automated masking option for our curved screens. However, for the time being you can use our ProPanels with our ProLine and ProCurv screens. Later on if you wish to add automated masking, you can trade in your ProCurv towards a ProMask-Curv.

As far as choosing projectors to light up a 140" wide screen, that all depends on the controlled lighting of the room, throw distance and anamorphic lens (if used). How many FTLs are you looking to achieve?

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Hey Thanks Ruben. As far as FTLs (foot lumens?) I have no idea - suggestions? I have total control over the lighting (no windows), throw distance approx 16 feet, and may or may not go with anamorphic lens (at least not initially, but I do plan on adding on in the future). Hope that helps a little.

CB
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebarns View Post

Hey Thanks Ruben. As far as FTLs (foot lumens?) I have no idea - suggestions? I have total control over the lighting (no windows), throw distance approx 16 feet, and may or may not go with anamorphic lens (at least not initially, but I do plan on adding on in the future). Hope that helps a little.

CB

Hi Charlie,

What I would recommend is for you to contact Jason Turk at AVS Phone: 585-454-1460. Jason has hands-on experience with all the latest projectors in that price range and can help you get a projector that will work best with our screen. If you have any questions after talking with him, please let me know.

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks Ruben I will contact Jason and figure out the PJ. Question about your AT material. How far back to the speakers need to be from the screen? How much distance is between your speakers and the screen (the ones lit up blue).

thx
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:

We still work with the DIY. We frequently have remnants that we offer the DIYers whenever they email us. If you are interested in raw material or screen surfaces with grommets contact us at sales@smxscreen.com and we can add you in the cue.

Ruben

Ruben,

I sent an e-mail and got myself in the queue, but I have a few questions about the queue that I'm hoping you can answer.

1) How exactly does the queue work? When remnant material becomes available does a mass e-mail go out to everyone in the queue and it's first come first serve, or is the queue worked through in order filling each person's material need (where possible)?

2) What is the approximate wait time in the queue? IE: Are there hundreds of people in the queue and there's only enough remnant material for a few people to get screens a few times a year (for example), or is the remnant material fairly plentiful and the queue isn't very deep (meaning no one waits more than a few months)?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Another Q. With the AT screen and all speakers behind the screen. Do the fabric panals on the screen wall need to be AT also or can I do a slightly less AT material like GOM Anchorage?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another Q. With the AT screen and all speakers behind the screen. Do the fabric panals on the screen wall need to be AT also or can I do a slightly less AT material like GOM Anchorage?

Usually, if I'm treating the entire screen wall with acoustical treatments, I like to at least use a semi audio transparent material like GoM FR701 on the false wall so that I can utilize the treatments as much as possible. There have been times where people drywall the false wall and leave a window for the screen but I personally don't like that idea.

Regards,
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM

Tags
Projection Screens