Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1281 Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Significantly lower gain than claimed. This can easily be verified with printer paper that is typically 0.96 gain and is significantly brighter than SMX.
erkq likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1281 Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 115
From what I remember reading the report, instead of the 1.16x gain claimed, it was more like 0.9 or something.
CriticalListener and erkq like this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #1263 of 1281 Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will say one thing my SmX screen completely destroys my Stewart Studiotek screen in so many ways it's not even close, what type of printer paper are we talking about here I have dozens of different types from $5 a sheet pearlesant glossy to crappy office max matte?
post #1264 of 1281 Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hey Mark P!!

Wow, it's been 6 or 7 years since I was last here? Seems just a few months ago.

The Ruben story is sad from what I have been reading here. I, like you, have fond memories of talking many hours with Ruben.

Two years ago I purchased another screen from Ruben for my new house. Everything went really slick. It was delivered and works perfectly.

I don't know what actually happened to him. Probably a mix of poor economic conditions and trying to grow too fast. last I spoke with him he was just opening up a larger facility.

Now I hope something doesn't happen to ruin my screen as it is quite large at 22 foot diagonal.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #1265 of 1281 Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

I will say one thing my SmX screen completely destroys my Stewart Studiotek screen in so many ways it's not even close, what type of printer paper are we talking about here I have dozens of different types from $5 a sheet pearlesant glossy to crappy office max matte?

Use the crappy Office max matte white. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1266 of 1281 Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Hey Mark P!!

Wow, it's been 6 or 7 years since I was last here? Seems just a few months ago.

The Ruben story is sad from what I have been reading here. I, like you, have fond memories of talking many hours with Ruben.

Two years ago I purchased another screen from Ruben for my new house. Everything went really slick. It was delivered and works perfectly.

I don't know what actually happened to him. Probably a mix of poor economic conditions and trying to grow too fast. last I spoke with him he was just opening up a larger facility.

Now I hope something doesn't happen to ruin my screen as it is quite large at 22 foot diagonal.

Joe
Hey Jmorris, long time no talk! Yeah, the old Ruben conversations were classics. I don't know how many times we would go late into the evening here completely dissecting everything theater wise as well as non theater things. The one thing I never would have expected was him being a scammer........ever. Even when he was out here, I knew he just wasn't the same ole Ruben, I wasn't on AVS at the time but had I been I would have certainly pushed the issue considering he was staying in my house. He seemed to be starting up a new business with another major player of AVS at the time, I won't go into details but it seemed to be consuming all his time and it sounded like something they needed to get rolling ultra fast sort of like his screen business. It's all about timing in this fast paced industry

Had he started the SMX a year earlier I think he would have probably made it through the tough times but he had just started to hit his stride when the economy tanked. He also should have probably kept his mouth shut instead of spreading the word on what products were working but that wasn't in his nature. He lost a lot of business by giving up the ingredients but being the DIYer he is, I completely understand. I remember telling him to jump quickly over and over the second he discovered the non moire products. There was no doubts he had the best available, I actually have one of the nicest screens I have ever seen and I've been in some over the top theaters. As I said my SMX next to my Stewart is no competition in build quality and picture quality and I have a Studiotek.

Cheap HDTVs make the Home Theaters a niche, a year or two earlier and SMX could have probably been in every theater around especially had he just kept the materials quiet.

I've actually started to get motivated to finish the theater that introduced me to Ruben and I actually wanted to swap out the Stewart for an SMX curved, oh well..........At least automation finally got easy and affordable thanks to iPad mini and iPhones and iRule! I installed it a year ago and it's still running strong!!! I even have full blown Karaoke integrated into things and the songs are free lol
post #1267 of 1281 Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Use the crappy Office max matte white. smile.gif
Do they sell it in open weave 6' tall by 20'wide? wink.gif
post #1268 of 1281 Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Do they sell it in open weave 6' tall by 20'wide? wink.gif

Yes, if you perf it yourself. smile.gif

Might take a little bit of time to measure out and place those 1,000's of holes. biggrin.gif

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1269 of 1281 Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Jmorris, long time no talk! Yeah, the old Ruben conversations were classics. I don't know how many times we would go late into the evening here completely dissecting everything theater wise as well as non theater things. The one thing I never would have expected was him being a scammer........ever. Even when he was out here, I knew he just wasn't the same ole Ruben, I wasn't on AVS at the time but had I been I would have certainly pushed the issue considering he was staying in my house. He seemed to be starting up a new business with another major player of AVS at the time, I won't go into details but it seemed to be consuming all his time and it sounded like something they needed to get rolling ultra fast sort of like his screen business. It's all about timing in this fast paced industry

Had he started the SMX a year earlier I think he would have probably made it through the tough times but he had just started to hit his stride when the economy tanked. He also should have probably kept his mouth shut instead of spreading the word on what products were working but that wasn't in his nature. He lost a lot of business by giving up the ingredients but being the DIYer he is, I completely understand. I remember telling him to jump quickly over and over the second he discovered the non moire products. There was no doubts he had the best available, I actually have one of the nicest screens I have ever seen and I've been in some over the top theaters. As I said my SMX next to my Stewart is no competition in build quality and picture quality and I have a Studiotek.

Cheap HDTVs make the Home Theaters a niche, a year or two earlier and SMX could have probably been in every theater around especially had he just kept the materials quiet.

I've actually started to get motivated to finish the theater that introduced me to Ruben and I actually wanted to swap out the Stewart for an SMX curved, oh well..........At least automation finally got easy and affordable thanks to iPad mini and iPhones and iRule! I installed it a year ago and it's still running strong!!! I even have full blown Karaoke integrated into things and the songs are free lol

I finished the theater that I was working on at the time and 2 years ago built a new house. When I did the house I took the dimensions of the 3-car attached garage and dug down 12 feet underground. This is where I put the theater. I also used ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) for the foundation of the house so that surrounds the theater with 8 inches of poured concrete and concrete spans over the top. I have a buddy that builds professional sound studios and I had him come in and do the sound treatments and buildout. I have 3 tiers in the theater. The lowest tier has 4 electric reclining chairs. The 2nd tier is a sectional couch and a coffee table that we eat off of. The 3rd level has a table and occasional chairs for guests. Similar to the old theater we put an infrared sauna at the back of the theater with a glass wall and speakers inside so that we can bake ourselves while watching TV or a movie.

I set up a 9.1 (soon to be 9.2) setup using SMX acoustic transparent screen and frame. I have attached a picture of me standing in front of the screen during the superbowl. I friend of mine in Seattle did not believe me when I told him that my screen was about 22 foot diagonal.

I was looking at your recent posts on your theater and like you I have been using iRule for 2 years now. It works extremely well. I have an iPad mounted to the wall as you enter the theater for control when entering and I use an iPod for the theater remote. It works extremely well and so far meets all of my needs. I even have it emulating the MAC Mini infrared remote through a global cache IP-IR device.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #1270 of 1281 Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Liked: 16
Does anyone have any ideas on how to recreate those ProPanels Ruben had? I need them for my SMX Procurv 20' 110" screen.
post #1271 of 1281 Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabelle870 View Post

Does anyone have any ideas on how to recreate those ProPanels Ruben had? I need them for my SMX Procurv 20' 110" screen.

Construction is pretty simple I think. Fidelio black velvet stretched over a flexible frame and stapled on back. Staples are covered up on back with black duct tape. Not sure what the frame material is ...will try and take a couple of pics and post them.

My Build Thread
post #1272 of 1281 Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJackson View Post

Construction is pretty simple I think. Fidelio black velvet stretched over a flexible frame and stapled on back. Staples are covered up on back with black duct tape. Not sure what the frame material is ...will try and take a couple of pics and post them.

Frame is one piece of material 1/4" thick with center cut out leaving a 2" wide border on sides and 2 3/4" on top/bottom. See photos below showing frame back construction.

photo IMGP8067.jpg

photo IMGP8068.jpg

photo IMGP8069.jpg
turls and Baenwort like this.

My Build Thread
post #1273 of 1281 Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Liked: 16
Cool, tbanks for the reply.

What is the frame material? You mention flexible? I was even thinking of using Foam Board. Thought?
post #1274 of 1281 Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabelle870 View Post

Cool, tbanks for the reply.

What is the frame material? You mention flexible? I was even thinking of using Foam Board. Thought?

Just a guess, but maybe 1/4" thick neoprene rubber sheet? Material is dark gray and flexible. Heavier than foam board of the same size. Foam board might work, but may crease when you have to flex the panels to fit them into the frame slots.

My Build Thread
post #1275 of 1281 Old 03-14-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

I finished the theater that I was working on at the time and 2 years ago built a new house. When I did the house I took the dimensions of the 3-car attached garage and dug down 12 feet underground. This is where I put the theater. I also used ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) for the foundation of the house so that surrounds the theater with 8 inches of poured concrete and concrete spans over the top. I have a buddy that builds professional sound studios and I had him come in and do the sound treatments and buildout. I have 3 tiers in the theater. The lowest tier has 4 electric reclining chairs. The 2nd tier is a sectional couch and a coffee table that we eat off of. The 3rd level has a table and occasional chairs for guests. Similar to the old theater we put an infrared sauna at the back of the theater with a glass wall and speakers inside so that we can bake ourselves while watching TV or a movie.

I set up a 9.1 (soon to be 9.2) setup using SMX acoustic transparent screen and frame. I have attached a picture of me standing in front of the screen during the superbowl. I friend of mine in Seattle did not believe me when I told him that my screen was about 22 foot diagonal.

I was looking at your recent posts on your theater and like you I have been using iRule for 2 years now. It works extremely well. I have an iPad mounted to the wall as you enter the theater for control when entering and I use an iPod for the theater remote. It works extremely well and so far meets all of my needs. I even have it emulating the MAC Mini infrared remote through a global cache IP-IR device.

Joe

Outstanding on the new theater! Yep the iPad (especially the mini) has changed everything when combined with iRule. We just use an iPad mini and whats so great about iRule is you have multiple remote in the room so during our new favorite Theater use ( Karaoke) our mini gets stuck into a boom mic stand as the song selector and I use my iPhone as the volume and lighting controller which basically runs insteon switches hooked up to an actual lighting controller. Its so discrete people don't even know how things are being controlled, they just think everythings magic. I am actually motivated to finish and ordered 200 yards of upholstery fabric that JoAnns fabric had 50% off and mis marked to begin with so we got $50 a yard fabric for $15 a yard and jumped all over that which made it easy to make final decisions on just making massive screen/ stage curtains and pleating the entire side walls front to back.....we did a test run of the pleats on walls and in the dormers and it looks pretty good. The one thing we couldn't figure out was what to do with the dormer windows and years ago we made a faux stained glass for a friend so we tried an experiment to try and have something unique and we think it's going to work well.

We wanted to do the ole Movie Poster thing but no matter what it just didn't work especially after we discovered we have more musically inclined friends and family than we knew. I really didn't want to change movie posters all the time either so we just made up a theme of something somewhere between Moulin Rouge and bat chit crazy. We have a friend that does Aerial Dancing with rings and silk cloth and chairs and she plans on some performances up above the stage area, she's amazing and has actually posed for some graphics for our attempt at stained glass

These are really hard to get pictures of with an iPhone but you get the idea, the only picture we have of the final product was taken by someone that appeared slightly intoxicated and its really blurry but you get the idea, I ran LED strip lights in behind to replicate that movie poster look and you still have basically a full view out the windows, my wife gave sewing a shot and thinks she has it figured out on curtains

Hopefully next party I'll remember to take better pictures and maybe get a little more done

post #1276 of 1281 Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I am totally impressed. Yes, please post some better pictures. I think it all looks really cool.

I went for the minimalist look in my theater. It is all black with the exception of the screen. smile.gif

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #1277 of 1281 Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
This is a little OT from the current focus of the thread, but we had an issue in our basement and the restoration people basically allowed a curtain to keep rubbing up against the screen and put some dark marks high in a corner of my SMX screen. For people who know more about the material.....what is okay to clean it with? Will it make it a dull or hot spot if my wife cleans that portion?

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #1278 of 1281 Old 03-16-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

It's vinyl, try soap and water or a car wash product and a tooth brush
post #1279 of 1281 Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 AM

Holy crap!!!

I have been away for a while and I might have one of the last few he shipped, seems I got it right before all this went down.

I love my screen and the frame alone is worth it.
post #1280 of 1281 Old 06-06-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcox71 View Post

Holy crap!!!

I have been away for a while and I might have one of the last few he shipped, seems I got it right before all this went down.

I love my screen and the frame alone is worth it.

Count yourself lucky, because a lot of people got taken to the cleaners. frown.gif

post #1281 of 1281 Old 06-06-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 265
When I was trying to figure out how I was going to achieve having 4 way masking, I actually, with real interest, inquired to SMX about their (his?) 4-way top of the line "pro-mask." It was extremely expensive so I looked at
my own solution. And frankly they way he interacted with my emails gave me a bad vibe. I shudder to think about how things might have gone if I had rolled the dice on buying that expensive masking system.

(Unlike Carada's masking system, which was far cheaper, of amazing quality and reliability, and they are still around to support customers).
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page