***Official SmX Theater Solutions Screen Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 1281 Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Bimmeup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alrighty, without further prolonging this, here's the link to my album with updated pics.

Enjoy,

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...il-AlbumInvite


Bimmeup
Matt
Bimmeup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 1281 Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmeup View Post

Alrighty, without further prolonging this, here's the link to my album with updated pics.

Enjoy,

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...il-AlbumInvite


Bimmeup
Matt

Your theater is going to be incredible once it's done. Heck, it's incredible now, the Raptor set up is insane!

Please email me the finished theater once it is done! Thanks for the incredible screen shots as well.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #123 of 1281 Old 06-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Member
 
Bimmeup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Your theater is going to be incredible once it's done. Heck, it's incredible now, the Raptor set up is insane!

Please email me the finished theater once it is done! Thanks for the incredible screen shots as well.

Ruben


Thanks Ruben!

Also, thanks for all your help with the screen. It really has turned out to be awesome. I'll definately get you some pictures of the theatre once it's done. I'm planning on getting some professional ones done as well so I'll shoot you some of those too.

Take care,

Bimmeup
Matt
Bimmeup is offline  
post #124 of 1281 Old 06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hate to keep bothering Jason with my screen questions, so maybe someone here can answer...
I was quoted a 110" wide screen, and need to know if that lenght is including the frame width(I assume not) and if not, just add 7"???? Also what would be the exact vertical measurements?
In othe words, what are the exact width, height(frame and screen) for a 2.35 screen 110"wide???????????
Thanks.
shamus is offline  
post #125 of 1281 Old 06-17-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
W00lly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NEBRASKA
Posts: 2,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Shamus
Ruben can make it what ever size you want you can make it 110" wide viewable and then add 7 inches to the height and width. I think its 110" X 46.8"
I think you add 4.? Inches in height for every 10" you add to the width

I just ordered a 144" wide viewable 2.35 screen can't wait to get it. That thing is gunna fill up my screen wall big time

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

          Current Photo's

W00lly is offline  
post #126 of 1281 Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Shamus
Ruben can make it what ever size you want you can make it 110" wide viewable and then add 7 inches to the height and width. I think its 110" X 46.8"
I think you add 4.? Inches in height for every 10" you add to the width

I just ordered a 144" wide viewable 2.35 screen can't wait to get it. That thing is gunna fill up my screen wall big time

Nice size...
But I meant add 7" for the the frame(3.5 wide). The screens seem to go by every 10", so I want the 110" wide, but want the exact dimensions so I can plan a little more(screen size, frame size...).
Just not sure if the 110" quote I got was 110" total or 110" plus frame(117").
shamus is offline  
post #127 of 1281 Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
W00lly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NEBRASKA
Posts: 2,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think you can get it either way 110" or 117" for the same price you were quoted. I would shoot ruben a email to make sure

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

          Current Photo's

W00lly is offline  
post #128 of 1281 Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 View Post

I hate to keep bothering Jason with my screen questions, so maybe someone here can answer...
I was quoted a 110" wide screen, and need to know if that lenght is including the frame width(I assume not) and if not, just add 7"???? Also what would be the exact vertical measurements?
In othe words, what are the exact width, height(frame and screen) for a 2.35 screen 110"wide???????????
Thanks.

Hi Shamus,

All the SmX sizes are quoted viewable (viewable screen area). You add 7" to the viewable width and viewable height of your screen for the overall screen size. Pricing is the same whether you get 110" viewable wide or 110" overal wide.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #129 of 1281 Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks again... I'll be placing my order with AVS shortly.
shamus is offline  
post #130 of 1281 Old 06-25-2007, 04:33 AM
Member
 
Lt_Sully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammar Police View Post

I was also in on the first shipment of the SMX screen material more than a year ago. I must say, it looks great and it's held up well. I was concerned about it relaxing or sagging after time, but it is as tight as the day I mounted it.

I've paired it with an Optoma HD72. It has all the pop you could want and once you go AT, you'll never go back.

I'm not an industry professional or reviewer, but I've seen many different screens and setups. The SMX has to be the best deal going right now.

What size is your screen? What is your ligthing like (cave-like theater)? I have the HD72 as well in my old theater and would like to use it for a 10-12' wide SMX screen....but was concerned with quality at that size.

Thanks!
Sully
Lt_Sully is offline  
post #131 of 1281 Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
RolfHult's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sin City, Norway
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My SMX screen. There are 3x Jamo THX Ultra speakers behind the screen, and 2x 15" THX subwoofers in center under the smx...

Sorry for the poor focused photo.
LL

Rolf Hult
My HT
RolfHult is offline  
post #132 of 1281 Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
McCall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sully, I have a 120" wide 2.35:1 Smx screen in totally light controlled dedicated theater with a Optoma H77 mounted at 16' lens to screen. I also use a Panamorph UH380 anamorphic lens for the scope movies.
the picture quality is excellent on this screen with this projector.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
McCall is offline  
post #133 of 1281 Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Update: We added the SmX Pro-Curve curved screens to the SMX site.



To learn more about the SmX Pro-Curve screens CHECK HERE

For more information on them, contact Richard Fairbrother and Jason Turk here on AVS.

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #134 of 1281 Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
rx-8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mermaid, PE, Canada
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ruban...another step forward for mankind.
I can hardly wait until we move so that I can begin building my HT.
Any thoughts about marketing your star ceiling?
Cheers!
Bill
rx-8 is offline  
post #135 of 1281 Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adammb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking of getting your curved screen but I dont know how it works. If the center of the screen is 6" further back then the outside wont the image be bigger in the middle then the outside? Also How big of a 2.35 screen do you think is too big with a Runco CL-810 with a panamorph lens?

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
adammb is offline  
post #136 of 1281 Old 06-27-2007, 07:30 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

I was thinking of getting your curved screen but I dont know how it works. If the center of the screen is 6" further back then the outside wont the image be bigger in the middle then the outside? Also How big of a 2.35 screen do you think is too big with a Runco CL-810 with a panamorph lens?

A curved screen is going to help correct the distortion from your anamorphic lens. As the horizontal stretch anamorphic lens makes the projected image smaller in the middle and taller on the ends, the curved screen reverses that.

Also, the concave shape of a curved screen helps keep the reflected light off the side walls by directing it towards the center of the audience. Light reflecting off the side walls can reflect back on the screen and wash the image out. Also, light reflecting off the side walls can reflect the color of the walls onto the screen causing the screen to color shift.

Screen size with your Runco depends on what you want for Foot Lamperts and also depends on if your room is totally light controlled, how big the room is, seating arrangement, etc.

Some food for thought....

Recently a video test was performed by a third party in a commercial cinema with the SmX CineWeave up against a recently installed 40 foot wide 1.5 gain screen. The 40 foot screen was split in half with the CineWeave on one side and the 1.5 gain screen on the other.

The 1.5 gain screen was producing 10.5 Foot Lamperts while the SmX CineWeave was producing 10.0 Foot Lamperts. It was reported that the SmX CineWeave had a much better viewing cone, color, contrast, sharpness and uniformity over the 1.5 gain screen. The brightness was pretty much the same.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #137 of 1281 Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
overclkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is one for you big dog:





Cliff
overclkr is offline  
post #138 of 1281 Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Member
 
wagsgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

We are shooting for 2 weeks from now. I will update everyone once they become available.

Thanks
Ruben

Did I miss it in this thread or are the non-AT screens not released yet?
Thanks
wagsgt is offline  
post #139 of 1281 Old 06-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
absolutezerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the material myself quit a while back going for the DIY method but now I might change my mind. Can I purchase just the frame without more fabric?
absolutezerok is offline  
post #140 of 1281 Old 06-30-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sandman(or others).
I love that you can purchase the masking system later on (for poor people like myself ), but I cant seem to find any info on it....
My concern is I will be ordering a 118" 2.35 wide screen from AVS(soon I promise!). That being a custom screen, will the masking that I order later on also be able to be custom? I really dont know much about masking but I would assume the masking would be different widths for different screen widths???
Thanks.
shamus is offline  
post #141 of 1281 Old 06-30-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Ruben:

Sent you an email last week to your company sales email address (your PM account here is full). I hadn't heard back. I listed some questions I had...I've determined a size, but wanted to talk about screen gain...to determine which screen material I would be ordering.

What is the turnaround time for a solid material screen and frame from ordering to delivery? I want to sell my Stewart, but need a timeframe to work with.

Thanks
Ron

PS: Is it better to call?

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is offline  
post #142 of 1281 Old 06-30-2007, 03:36 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Ruben:

Sent you an email last week to your company sales email address (your PM account here is full). I hadn't heard back. I listed some questions I had...I've determined a size, but wanted to talk about screen gain...to determine which screen material I would be ordering.

What is the turnaround time for a solid material screen and frame from ordering to delivery? I want to sell my Stewart, but need a timeframe to work with.

Thanks
Ron

PS: Is it better to call?

Hi Ron,

Right now we are still experimenting with solid screen material with our mounting system. We did have some solid screens in stock but we are trying to make the screen material a bit more flexible with the Pro-Line.

Please feel free to call me, Richard or Jason at AVS to get into more detail.

Thank You
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #143 of 1281 Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 View Post

Sandman(or others).
I love that you can purchase the masking system later on (for poor people like myself ), but I cant seem to find any info on it....
My concern is I will be ordering a 118" 2.35 wide screen from AVS(soon I promise!). That being a custom screen, will the masking that I order later on also be able to be custom? I really dont know much about masking but I would assume the masking would be different widths for different screen widths???
Thanks.


Hi Shamus,

The first masking systems will be all in one. Meaning the screen material attaches to the masking frame. Then shortly after the adaptable masking systems are coming.

Every screen and masking system is made to order so there is endless possibilities for custom sizes.

The SmX ProMask masking system options will be Constant Height, Constant width or 4 way. Our Constant height masking systems will be available in curved and flat and will begin as a 2.40:1 aspect ratio and will mask down to 2.37, 2.35, 1.85, 1.78 & 1.33

Thank You
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #144 of 1281 Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member
 
SmX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 2,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutezerok View Post

I purchased the material myself quit a while back going for the DIY method but now I might change my mind. Can I purchase just the frame without more fabric?

Every now and then we have extra frames unaccounted for so check with me every now and then.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
SmX is offline  
post #145 of 1281 Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Shake1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ruben,

Will the mounting bracket sustain the additional weight of the masking system or will it need to be modified?

Thanks,
Scott
Shake1 is offline  
post #146 of 1281 Old 07-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Member
 
ChipWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that I went with SMX, I was wondering if I should mount my IR reciever (Buffalo) behind the SMX or above the screen, slighlty angled down, as I had planned. I'm not concerned with looks as it's too small to really be seen anyway, but I'm looking for the best and most reliable location to mount it.

Thanks
Chip

A dumb man gets into trouble and doesn't know how to get out of it.
A smart man gets into trouble and knows how to get out of it.
A wise man never gets into trouble... Spastic Bat Theater Thread
ChipWV is offline  
post #147 of 1281 Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jmorris644's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipWV View Post

Now that I went with SMX, I was wondering if I should mount my IR reciever (Buffalo) behind the SMX or above the screen, slighlty angled down, as I had planned. I'm not concerned with looks as it's too small to really be seen anyway, but I'm looking for the best and most reliable location to mount it.

Thanks
Chip

FWIW, I mounted my Xantech IR receiver below the screen. I figured because I have 2/3 of the screen above eye level that having it at the bottom was closer to a direct line from the remote than above it. So far it has worked perfectly.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater


A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
jmorris644 is offline  
post #148 of 1281 Old 07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sandman,
Just ordered your screen and I've read the online manual... Can you give me a little more info into what Moire looks like?
I understand I have to turn the screen and everything.. just not to sure what I should be looking for. (projector is the RS1)
Thanks again!
shamus is offline  
post #149 of 1281 Old 07-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shamus, here's what I did (I have an RS1 too).

I cut a 2x3 piece of the smx and stapled it onto a cheap frame I bought at Michael's. I installed the pj approximately where it's going to be mounted, fired it up, and displayed the color test pattern. Then I held the frame up where the screen is going to be - you cannot miss the moire pattern, it looks like wavy lines. Tilting the frame 20 to 25% got rid of it. Again - this isn't subtle.

The whole thing is a lot easier than it sounds.
Dave G is offline  
post #150 of 1281 Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

Shamus, here's what I did (I have an RS1 too).

I cut a 2x3 piece of the smx and stapled it onto a cheap frame I bought at Michael's. I installed the pj approximately where it's going to be mounted, fired it up, and displayed the color test pattern. Then I held the frame up where the screen is going to be - you cannot miss the moire pattern, it looks like wavy lines. Tilting the frame 20 to 25% got rid of it. Again - this isn't subtle.

The whole thing is a lot easier than it sounds.

Ok, Great. Looking at those directions, you would think you should get paid for building the screen yourself! But I do understand its to get rid of moire.
Thanks.

I dont suppose any one has a pic of moire?
shamus is offline  
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off