ebr
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

I recently just got my SMX material mounted up and have a JVC RS1 and notice that when there is a bright scene that the darks seem to wash out but when the scene is dark the black level is great. I mounted a black velvet behind the screen in case light was reflecting back but the washed out look is still noticeable. Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

What color are the walls in your room? It does sound like light reflecting back on the screen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1281 Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My walls are a darker brown color but my ceiling is a cream and the screen is only 4 inches from it. But it wouldnt make sense for it to wash out the entire image. Maybe the top? I was thinking the curved screen would reduce reflection from the side walls.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #183 of 1281 Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

My walls are a darker brown color but my ceiling is a cream and the screen is only 4 inches from it. But it wouldnt make sense for it to wash out the entire image. Maybe the top? I was thinking the curved screen would reduce reflection from the side walls.

How is the projector mounted? Is it just 4 inches from the cream colored ceiling as well? If so, the light of a bright scene coming out of the projector would be spilling all over that ceiling and reflecting everywhere...

You might try tacking a bunch of black cloth (if you happen to have a bunch laying around ) to the ceiling between the projector and screen and see if that helps at all.
post #184 of 1281 Old 08-03-2007, 07:42 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I agree with ebr, it sounds like the screen is too close to the cream color ceiling. What ebr reccommended will be a good starting point. The dark brown walls are not the problem unless they are super shiny and lots of light is reflecting off them.

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #185 of 1281 Old 08-04-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ive got the RS1 and SMX with white walls and a white ceiling and I dont see any blacks being washed out. Is it possible you have a setting wrong? Did you run DVE or AVIA. Make sure HDMI is set to standard and NOT enhanced.
post #186 of 1281 Old 08-04-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Heres my little SMX review:

I've been looking into an acoustically transparent screen for some time now and finally decided to take the plunge. SMX was by far the cheapest, in some cases by half, than others I've been looking at. Although price was a huge bonus, it was not the main reason for my choice... it was all the praise around here that caught my attention, so I placed my order.

I went with the 2.35 118" and really wanted to be in the 10 foot club, but missed it by 2 inches(can only go as big as my walls let me ) Shipping was extremely fast and I've never seen something so well packed. Everything is included(except a manual , but I downloaded it) like a cleaning glove, cutting tools, latex gloves, plastic sheet, a mini level etc. I noticed right away that these guys paid attention to every conceivable detail and I was in for a real treat.

I'm one of the strange few that actually like to assemble entertainment centers, dressers and other miscellaneous furniture. I know immediately by looking at the pieces if it was built good or if the drawer is going to break if closed too hard. I always get a kick out of assembling something of high quality, and this was one of those rare times. This thing is built good... and I mean solid. Set up was a breeze. It does require a small bit of handiness(no more than putting together an entertainment center or something), but I would think most people on this forum would have this ability. The frame went together smoothly and secure. You could probably do pullups from it, but I didn't try... not to mention, I wouldn't want to ruin the gorgeous deep black velvet that encases it. My only fear, being an amateur, was how to spot moire. With the supplied screen sample(they really thought of everything), I immediately saw it and rotated my screen accordingly. I loved the simple way to hang it. It hangs from a track... thats it! The track even has a mini level attached to it but I suggest using a full size level just to be sure. I would of liked some way to secure the bottom of the screen to keep the screen flush with my wall. This would help anyone who doesn't have a perfectly straight wall like myself I guess . I also liked that there was no distracting logo built onto the frame.

Hows the picture look???? You wont get any complaints from me. The other guys with their light meters can chime in if they want, but I see no difference compared to my Stewart StudioTek 130 screen, and that alone should be a compliment. Light does pass through, so you will have to have your wall blacked out some way or else it will reflect back on your screen.

Now we get to the real reason why you would choose an AT screen.... the sound! Theres something really nice about having all your speakers behind the screen. Its a beautiful thing just to see the picture and no distracting stacks of speakers, subs and wires all over the place. No matter how hard I try, I just couldn't seem to give it that"neat" look. It really gives your set up that final touch and adds to that movie theater feeling. Voices come from the screen now and not the bottom(or top). It also gives you the ability to accoustically treat your front wall.... and believe me, thats not overrated. Surprisingly, the biggest sonic improvement was being able to mount my center speaker vertically and not horizontally. Someone(on this forum) told me recently that my center would sound better that way, but I didn't believe him since my front speakers are all L,R,C speakers and made to go either way... boy was I wrong. Voices are just so much clearer and with the now invisible speakers, you are just bombarded by a wall of sound. Oh yeah... Most importantly, I noticed no negative impacts of having sound pass through the screen.

It may sound like I love this screen, but it does have its cons:
-Friends come over unannounced and sometimes unwanted.
-I spend way too much time watching movies.

The SMX screen has joined my very short list of items I didn't have immediate buyers remorse. As much as I loved my StudioTek, I always regretted not going the AT route, which gave me the ability to go bigger. (another added benefit of being able to put your speakers behind instead of the sides).

Before I wrap this up, I wanted to give a thanks to all the members on AVS who gave me the knowledge to build my dream home theater. Also a big thanks to Alan, Jason and Rich for the great deal and advice. And a real special thanks to Ruben(Sandman) who made such a great product and has, by far, the best customer support I've ever dealt with(its Ruben himself)!!! .

Gotta go... time to throw in a movie!
post #187 of 1281 Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 AM

I'd love this amazing screen, but, I got an email saying they don't ship to my country (Malaysia). I'm willing to pay for shipping if its in the budget! I want a Curve screen, the only one selling here is stewarts CineCurve and at the size I want (126") - $15,000usd (RM45,000) after some discounting!

Sheesh.

I'm sure there's a way.

My Theater Showpiece Cinema
post #188 of 1281 Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlilbro View Post

I'd love this amazing screen, but, I got an email saying they don't ship to my country (Malaysia). I'm willing to pay for shipping if its in the budget! I want a Curve screen, the only one selling here is stewarts CineCurve and at the size I want (126") - $15,000usd (RM45,000) after some discounting!

Sheesh.

I'm sure there's a way.

I sent you an email with a couple of shipping options. Please let me know if you got it.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #189 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

I sent you an email with a couple of shipping options. Please let me know if you got it.

Thanks
Ruben

Yea I received it . I sent you another e-mail, along with some questions.

Thanks Ruben.

Farhan.

My Theater Showpiece Cinema
post #190 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Probably should have posted this here:

I'm setting up a room for the first time and I've made some decisions that are hard to back out of so I'm trying to finish it off with the best end result...

These are the sunk/fixed items:

1) My projector is an RS1 it will be mounted on the ceiling at about 8' high and 11 ft back from the screen.

2) The room is 20ft long by 18ft wide.

3) The screen can be a maximum of about 100" diagonal 6:9.

4) There is a small Ultra2 certified center channel IN-WALL behind the screen location.

5) I think the farthest away from the front wall I can mount the screen is about 4" so the center channel will be relatively close to the screen backing.

6) I do not like rooms that are totaly dark. This room has some dimmable low voltage lights in the far back of the room which I like to leave on at a low setting.

These are the questions:

1) Will I be really disapointed sitting 11 - 12 feet back from an SMX AT screen? I'm concerned that sitting that close I will see some of the weave or perforation which I hate. I looked at a stewart screen and i think i can see the microperf.
If I knew I would see holes or the picture looks faded... I would call back my drywaller and remove the center channel and mount it below...

although i hate the sound comming from a strange place but I'll do it/trade it if the picture is going to be annoying.

2) Is 4" too close for the screen to the center channel? The wall has a recess designed for the screen and mounting the screen farther away than 4-5 inches will not look nice.
post #191 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 AM

11-12 feet back will not be a problem. I can not see the weaves at 6 feet.

4" is fine. All 4 of my speakers (mains, sub, center) are 2" from the screen.

Tom

Best is what you perceive it to be, not what others tell you it is.
post #192 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossi2 View Post

I looked at a stewart screen and i think i can see the microperf.
If I knew I would see holes or the picture looks faded... I would call back my drywaller and remove the center channel and mount it below...

although i hate the sound comming from a strange place but I'll do it/trade it if the picture is going to be annoying.

2) Is 4" too close for the screen to the center channel? The wall has a recess designed for the screen and mounting the screen farther away than 4-5 inches will not look nice.

Hi mrossi,

The hole on the SmX CineWeave is about 3.5 times smaller than a microperf hole. Here is an actual size, side by side comparison of a perforated screen vs SmX CineWeave vs micro-perf screen. The SmX CineWeave is in the middle.

This is not a real test but to get an idea, if you squint your eyes a bit or step 4 - 6 back from your monitor the texture of the CineWeave dissapears and the microperf is still visable.

Your distance between the speaker and SmX screen is fine. If this is an option, you should consider treating the wall behind the SmX screen with an acoustical treatment. Most people here use Johns Manville: Linacoustic RC as an inexpensive option.

The JVC RS-1 and SmX CineWeave is an AT match made in heaven. There are many people here on AVS using that combo and are floored by the picture and audio they are getting. The nice thing about the CineWeave is that it actually sharpens the projected image a bit which works real nice with the RS1's softer projected image (something you don't get with a solid screen).

There are some RS-1 and SmX screen shots on the SmX site provided by overclkr from AVS.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #193 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Here are some screen shots tooken by Alan Gouger with his new SmX ProLine CineWeave Grey screen and a Sim2 C3Xe 720p 3 chip projector. Source is a BluRay dvd.

I stole these screen shots from this original thread

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #194 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 12:17 PM

Thnx very nice. where should i buy it? i prefer not to assemble but am not afraid too.

RE: your note SandmanX - i saw the perf pictures on your website which lead to the email. although i like the Silver Screen pictures I've seen posted in other areas of the forum... i'm down the road with the center chanel mounted in a dedicated back box drywalled in already. Don't know if i'll like it... its a new Polk RTSC - was a lot smaller than i imagined it would be... don't know since its dimensions were accurate on the spec sheets.

I'll take yor advice and look into the Linacoustic RC - I can do anything i want behind the screen its a fixed/permanent screen in a dedicated locaton.. i'll post some pictures when i get the chance.

I'm going to try and use my denon 4806ci to drive it. Its new off ebay and arrived broken so i haven't seen it all work yet... its back at some shop in LA - i don;t know what the denon will do with 480 or 720 sources.. but the pictures you posted above look fine to me.
post #195 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Check the first post of this thread...you can purchase the SMX screens directly from AVS.

Tom

Best is what you perceive it to be, not what others tell you it is.
post #196 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thnx very nice. where should i buy it? i prefer not to assemble but am not afraid too.

We can ship your screen fully assembled if you wish. You just have to make sure you don't have any sharp turns or stairs with low headers in your home that may prevent you from getting it into it's final destination.

To order you can contact AVS at 1(877) 823-4452 and ask for Richard or Jason or email richard@avscience.com or jason@avscience.com

Thank You
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #197 of 1281 Old 08-06-2007, 07:13 PM

it might be good to create and sell some spacing material to let someone adjust the distance from the wall that the screen hangs.
post #198 of 1281 Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it might be good to create and sell some spacing material to let someone adjust the distance from the wall that the screen hangs.

Good idea, but a simple 2 x 4 wrapped in black velvet will do the trick for spacing.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #199 of 1281 Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM

On monday I called SMX sales asking for the prices of 90" flat and curved screens.
I game my e-mail address, but so far I have not received an answer. Would you please send me that information. My e-mail is the following:
clintonguillermo@sbcglobal.net.

Thank you
post #200 of 1281 Old 08-10-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIH_CLGmo View Post

On monday I called SMX sales asking for the prices of 90" flat and curved screens.
I game my e-mail address, but so far I have not received an answer. Would you please send me that information. My e-mail is the following:
clintonguillermo@sbcglobal.net.

Thank you

To order you can contact AVS at 1(877) 823-4452 and ask for Richard or Jason or email richard@avscience.com or jason@avscience.com
post #201 of 1281 Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Good idea, but a simple 2 x 4 wrapped in black velvet will do the trick for spacing.

Ruben

hmm thanks. if 2" was the right distance that might work

but its not :-)
post #202 of 1281 Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM

"To order you can contact AVS at 1(877) 823-4452 and ask for Richard or Jason or email richard@avscience.com or jason@avscience.com"

I don't want to order now I want the prices of the 90" flat and curve screens. I want to compare prices to see what I can afford.

I called 1(877) 823-4452 and the person that answer my call asked for my e-mail address in order to obtain the prices of the different screens. So far no answer!
post #203 of 1281 Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

"To order you can contact AVS at 1(877) 823-4452 and ask for Richard or Jason or email richard@avscience.com or jason@avscience.com"

I don't want to order now I want the prices of the 90" flat and curve screens. I want to compare prices to see what I can afford.

I called 1(877) 823-4452 and the person that answer my call asked for my e-mail address in order to obtain the prices of the different screens. So far no answer!

It wasn't a victim of a spam filter was it? (and the AVS guys also give pricing, not just straight ordering)
post #204 of 1281 Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

hmm thanks. if 2" was the right distance that might work

but its not :-)

I think he was talking about using the long side of the 2x4, so you would have 3-1/2".

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #205 of 1281 Old 08-13-2007, 08:20 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was AVS you called. I will inform them about this situation.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #206 of 1281 Old 08-13-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

We're in the office quoting. If you have't gotten it yet, we're catching up from the weekend. Please PM me your phone number and I'll quote you directly over the phone.

Richard
post #207 of 1281 Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Also,

When asking for a quote via phone or email, please mention the dimensions in height, width or diagonal. We'd love to quote a 90" screen, but we need to know which dimension that is.

Richard
post #208 of 1281 Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

I think he was talking about using the long side of the 2x4, so you would have 3-1/2".

CJ

CJ I hope its a joke. The idea that someone is reading my post and imagining me holding up a 2x4 to a wall and not being able to figure out the various ways to rotate it for use in spacing the screen from the wall is very funny.

when you imagine this.. am i trying to win a bannana or avoid an electric shock of some sort if i get it wrong? maybe in the image i'm holding the hammer upside down as well...

i thought it would be useful if the screens had some special mounting hardware to control exactly how far you might want it from the wall. My screen for example has some Sonex material behind it and it would be good to try it at a few different distances from the wall. also I think the bottom of the screen should be supported as well.

net is i'd pay a few $ for something that was desinged to go with the screen and was adjustable... its not ashow stopper. we can build anything we want... just prefer not to.

Thx.
post #209 of 1281 Old 08-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

Also,

When asking for a quote via phone or email, please mention the dimensions in height, width or diagonal. We'd love to quote a 90" screen, but we need to know which dimension that is.

Richard

Also,

<<When asking for a quote via phone or email, please mention the dimensions in height, width or diagonal. We'd love to quote a 90" screen, but we need to know which dimension that is.>>

I'm sorry for the confusion! I sent an email to Jason and he forwarded to Marc. This morning I received the information about the prices. Richard, I am sorry for not giving the complete dimensions. I should have written: 2.35:1 aspect ration of
90" x 38.3".

Thank you

C. Guillermo
post #210 of 1281 Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

CJ I hope its a joke. The idea that someone is reading my post and imagining me holding up a 2x4 to a wall and not being able to figure out the various ways to rotate it for use in spacing the screen from the wall is very funny.

I was not joking. You had said that the 2" dimension was not that for which you were looking. That would be correct, since 2 inches is too close to an AT screen, so it was somewhat obvious that he was talking about the orientation which would give you 3-1/2 inches. Without know you, it is impossible to know your framing knowledge. Also, sometimes the most obvious things are the hardest to see. It is amazing how many times smart people think that they have a non-functioning unit (vcr, tv, dvd, recevier, etc.) only to later discover that they forgot to plug it in. If it is better for you, you can think that I was joking.

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend, I was just hoping to offer some possibly useful information.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page