***Official SmX Theater Solutions Screen Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1281 Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since we're now carrying the new SmX Theater Solutions CineWeave Pro Line
Frame Screen thread we may as well get it started!

They will also be offering a non-acoustic screens from SmX when available, and coming soon will be curved theater screens as well. Stay tuned for more details!

Some of the reasons you might want these:

Anyone who has the SmX material or those of you getting your screens with frames soon, please feel free to chime in.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1281 Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great! Glad to see you guys picked up SMX. I already got my screen and frame directly from SMX but I'm sure pawning the customers off on you will lighten Ruben's work load.(He was answering calls at 1900 EDT on a Saturday!) so that he can enjoy his own theater more. ;D

Once I receive my Frame I'll post here about how I feel about the build quality and strength.

My stuff is old, but it still works well. Apparently AVS finds it to old to keep in their database but I'm still happy with it.
post #3 of 1281 Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 PM

I'll do the same as Baenwort's doing by reporting here about the new SMX Pro-Line screen and frame that I should be getting soon. It's supposed to ship this week and once I get it installed etc., I'll post some pics and give my review!

Bimmeup
Matt
post #4 of 1281 Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was the first to receive the new SmX Pro Line frame. The reason Ruben sent the first one to me is that it was in support of the East Coast BlendZilla Meet, happening this weekend, May 5 and 6. There are pictures posted of the completed screen in the East Coast BlendZilla Meet thread, in the CRT forum. The Meet thread is a sticky, so look for it at the top of the forum list of threads.

My wife and I assembled the frame last Friday night. Bill Belcher and I mounted the screen last Saturday. Everyone who is involved in creating the East Coast BlendZilla Meet who has seen the 12' wide 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen has fallen in love with it.

Willliam
East Coast BlendZilla Meet host

(B)(G)(R) BlendZilla Up Over (R)(G)(B)
post #5 of 1281 Old 05-01-2007, 09:41 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Thanks for starting the official SmX Screen thread Rich.

Just some news to start off this thread...

We are are now in production on the SmX Pro-Curve curved screens available in 18' - 30' and 40' radius curves up to 24' wide.

We are also working on the SmX CH Mask constant height masking system that adapts right on top of the SmX Pro-Line frame. Our masking system has the same sleek look as the SmX Pro-Line frame and the overall frame size is 5.5" wide x 2.77" deep. This is a great option for those that want a screen now and a masking system later. Our masking system integrates with Crestron, AMX, Z-Wave and also has IR, RF, RS-232 and Dry-Contact hook ups.

We are also offering solid screens as well available in Matte, 1.4 gain, 1.8 gain and a 2.4 gain silver screen.

For more info on all of this, check out the New official SmX website smxscreen.com

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #6 of 1281 Old 05-02-2007, 06:15 PM

When will the no-AT screens become available?
post #7 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

Any plans to offer a slightly less expensive screen in the future.

I have to admit that I was very excited to see you would be offering complete screens, as I wanted an AT, but I am not much of a DIY'er.

I just got a quote on some sizes, and I have to admit I almost choked. It was at least 3x's what I was expecting, especially considering the screen material itself can be purchased somewhat cheeply.

I don't mean to sound cheap, and I am sure it is a great product, but I know there are many people who would jump on a sub $1K screen from SMX, even if the frame isn't quite the same quality as the current crop

If you really want to choke, call up Screen Research or Stewart and ask for an AT screen qoute. My guarantee to you is it'll be 2 to 3 times the price you were quoted. ^_^

If price is such a concern, why not go DIY? Building a frame that's servicable isn't high on the list of tricky projects. I would peg it as pretty darn simple and you'd save yourself a lot of cash. I'm sure you've seen the threads in the SMX forum. Sooner or later the world of "I don't want to pay that much" and "DIY" will meet. ^_^
post #8 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

If you really want to choke, call up Screen Research or Stewart and ask for an AT screen qoute. My guarantee to you is it'll be 2 to 3 times the price you were quoted. ^_^

I have seen those as well and thought it was nuts. The only reason I was suprised at the cost of SMX is that the screen material itself is only a couple hundred dollars. I guess I didn't expect the frame to add an additional 3K to the price.
post #9 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

Any plans to offer a slightly less expensive screen in the future.

I have to admit that I was very excited to see you would be offering complete screens, as I wanted an AT, but I am not much of a DIY'er.

I just got a quote on some sizes, and I have to admit I almost choked. It was at least 3x's what I was expecting, especially considering the screen material itself can be purchased somewhat cheeply.

I don't mean to sound cheap, and I am sure it is a great product, but I know there are many people who would jump on a sub $1K screen from SMX, even if the frame isn't quite the same quality as the current crop

We are now in discussion on releasing an entry level series screen using the SmX CineWeave material. The entry level frame would not be insulated and will use the same flocking the other screen companies are using. This entry level version should be affordable for most people considering an AT screen.

I will update this thread with more details as soon as they become available.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #10 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlr944 View Post

When will the no-AT screens become available?

We are shooting for 2 weeks from now. I will update everyone once they become available.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #11 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

We are now in discussion on releasing an entry level series screen using the SmX CineWeave material. The entry level frame would not be insulated and will use the same flocking the other screen companies are using. This entry level version should be affordable for most people considering an AT screen.

I will update this thread with more details as soon as they become available.

Thanks
Ruben

That is excellent news.
post #12 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 03:50 PM

ooooOOooooh I'm very interested in more info on the entry level screen!
post #13 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Wow, these babies look very cool.
What else would I expect from the Sandman but meticulous attention to deal and bullet-proof construction.

I was in on the the first batch of SMX screen material and can only say it's the best deal going for an AT screen.

Great picture, great sound, killer price.

I know that most people think that having an AT screen is a "luxury" but after you experience it, it's a necessity. Seamless panning, coherent, pinpoint imaging.
I cannot imagine not having one.
Good luck on your latest venture, Ruben!

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #14 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think I was the second person to order the new SmX Theater Solutions CineWeave Pro Line Frame / Screen. (I will be receiving an 11', 2.35 screen and am looking forward to the SMX masking system) Ruben has been great to work with and I'm really looking forward to receiving the frame and screen. The tracking info says I should be expecting delivery on Wednesday!!!!!

Mike
post #15 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Im a 2:35:1 curved SMX owner.. Pro-Line screen...

and all i can say is its awsome, picture from my HD81 is clean and clear
and vibrant colors.. bought a stewart, returned it before unboxing once
i saw the SMX live in person.. now im happy to be a owner
post #16 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 PM

I emailed for a sample back in February and I still have not gotten anything.

EDIT:
I got my sample now thanks to SandmanX!
Thank you!
post #17 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm currently using the SMX screen with my HD81 Projector + Panamorph UH380 lens @ 2.35:1 with my Klipsch THX Ultra2's behind it.

This was my first AT screen and i have to say there is nothing in this world that could convince me to do it differently in the future. The picture is amazing, the sound comes right through no problem, i really have no complaints.

I was pretty bummed that i wasnt going to be able to do AT because i couldnt afford one of the Big Boys screens...then i came across SMX. There is no question in my mind that SMX is superior in every way to the big boys...at a fraction of the cost.

Needless to say, im a very happy customer and i've recommended SMX to everyone i know that is building or thinking of building a home theater.

If you are considering it, just do it!! You wont have any regrets i assure you!
post #18 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM

I was also in on the first shipment of the SMX screen material more than a year ago. I must say, it looks great and it's held up well. I was concerned about it relaxing or sagging after time, but it is as tight as the day I mounted it.

I've paired it with an Optoma HD72. It has all the pop you could want and once you go AT, you'll never go back.

I'm not an industry professional or reviewer, but I've seen many different screens and setups. The SMX has to be the best deal going right now.
post #19 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

i ordered my SmX screen and frame and I am counting down the days till it arrives. Ruben was an absolute pleasure to deal with and was very accomidating. Highly recommend to anyone who is even in the process of thinking of getting an smx screen.

Ryan

IM FINALLY FINISHED...(WELL ALMOST)

THE PITT CONSTRUCTION THREAD
post #20 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have several customers who have used not only the DIY SMX material but also the finished full frame. I've had nothing but glowing reviews to this point. No, it's not cheap, but quality never is - and it's still half of what Stewart or SR would charge for something similar.

At this point, this is my steady recommendation unless a customer absolutely insists on a different brand.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #21 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The frames look awesome! As soon as I get my new drivers I'll design something with your acoustic screen in mind. My HT room has been on the back-burner for over a year and this summer looks like a good time to finish things off.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #22 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Richard,

Thanks for starting this thread.

For many months I followed Ruben's construction thread and watch as he tested and retested screen materials. It was enjoyable to be part of the beginning of what looks like a marvelous screen company.

I have had my SmX screen for over a year now. It sat idly rolled up until I mounted my Optoma HD81 last October. We have put over 1000 hours on the projector so far watching HD-DVD movies, HD-Cable, HD-Xbox, and a lot of non HD material too. We are still amazed at the quality of the picture and the placement of the sound. Without the AT material I would have had to place my center channel speaker above the screen. I have been an audiophile for many years and I knew from the beginning that I was always going to get an AT screen.

I actually purchased Ruben's first AT screen. I installed it in a trampoline style setup with bungee cord surrounding the material. It is being constantly stretched and has been perfect for the 8 months it has been up.

I was talking with my wife about finishing the framing on the screen myself and recently showed her the frame that Ruben had come up with. To my amazement she said that I should get the frame from Ruben. She said that we have done everything else so perfect in our theater, why would we not want a screen and frame that looked perfect too. Wow, who would have guessed!! A wife factored screen and frame.

Anyway, I am doing my final measurements and I will be placing my order soon.

Thanks again!!

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #23 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottyson View Post

I don't know what is wrong with the customer service. I emailed for a sample back in February and I still have not gotten anything.

Whenever it's a cold turkey response like this, 99% of the I'm guessing spam filter. (That's how it is on the forum I run anyway. ^_^)
post #24 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This is truly an amazing AT screen material especially for the price as many have stated above.

I just wanted to add that my experiences in regards to Ruben's service is also excellent.

He has always returned my calls and answered all my questions in a very helpful manner.
post #25 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

First a big congrats to SandmanX for finding great screen material and then having the coconuts of steel to actually start up his own screen company!

I have yet to test out the screen with a PJ because I am just not at that stage in construction. But I can still offer a quick review of product quality and shipping details. The screen is a PVC woven material where you can immediately notice a much smaller perforation in the material than other common AT screens and AT screen materials. The material is VERY tough and did not give when I gave it a pull-test (it didn't rip or stretch). The shipping was excellent as the screen was rolled around a rock hard cardboard tube, wrapped in plastic, extra stuffing inside to protect from impacts, and labeled fragile to boot!

From following all the tests that SandmanX and other independent testers, SmX is the best AT screen material I, and many others, know of. For the extremely affordable price it is offered at, I hope other screen companies can try to play catch-up. Just based solely on the numbers and results of the thorough testing of SmX CineWeave HD; for an entry-level price, you get a professional-quality screen.
post #26 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

If price is such a concern, why not go DIY? Building a frame that's servicable isn't high on the list of tricky projects. I would peg it as pretty darn simple and you'd save yourself a lot of cash. I'm sure you've seen the threads in the SMX forum. Sooner or later the world of "I don't want to pay that much" and "DIY" will meet. ^_^

Not ture, when comparing apples to apples. I was surprised at the cost of Ruben's frame. No knock on Ruben, it is a very very nice frame, and he has to make a buck like anyone else. But for those that choose to buy the material, which is reasonably priced, if you add the frame you're talking a pretty hefty sum. DYI (no frame) it's a great deal.

I own 5 yards of SMX. I also own a Stewart Ultramatte 1.3 Cinemaperf screen. I will be upgrading to a 2.37:1 Ultramatte 1.3 or 1.5 microperf screen. I have compared prices from both and having done so I intend to sell my 5 yards of SMX and buy another Stewart screen. Yes it will cost more, but when combining SMX material with Ruben's frame it isn't that much more.

SMX vs. Stewart:
I put up the SMX material so I could see 1/2 SMX and 1/2 Stewart. The Stewart had more pop. I know a lot of people like SMX material and I agree it is better than a lot of other options, but ask yourself why there isn't a comparison to Stewart screens on Ruben's site. Again, please understand, this is no knock to Ruben what so ever, his material is very good. It is my opinion that Stewart has a better screen. What you must do is ask if it is worth the additional cost. SMX material only compared to Stewart with frame, Stewart is way way, way more money. SMX with SMX frame compared to Stewart, the Stewart Screen is more but not that much, and you get a better picture. My .02.

I see a lot of positive posts about Ruben's screen and I do not mean this to be a slam to him in any way. He provides a very good product at a fair price. All I am saying is look around at all your options, a screen will last a long long time.

Flame suit on. And no I do not work or sell Stewart products.

(Please take this a just one person's opinion and not an upset customer, Ruben was very good to me).

Edit 5-16-07

After all the rave reviews, I have decided to keep the material. I have a great solution for a frame so I will now save a lot over the Stewart. Also recent quotes for a Stewart have come in higher than the quote I had late last year. Not sure why, but in any case I do not feel I will be comprimising much at all and will be very happy with the SMX material. Now I can apply the savings to that new InFocus 1080P, assuming it performs well.
post #27 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post

Not ture, when comparing apples to apples. I was surprised at the cost of Ruben's frame. No knock on Ruben, it is a very very nice frame, and he has to make a buck like anyone else. But for those that choose to buy the material, which is reasonably priced, if you add the frame you're talking a pretty hefty sum. DYI it's a pretty good screen.

I own 5 yards of SMX. I also own a Stewart Ultramatte 1.3 Cinemaperf screen. I will be upgrading to a 2.37:1 Ultramatee 1.3 or 1.5 microperf screen. I have compared prices from both and having done so I intend to sell my 5 yards of SMX and buy another Stewart screen. Yes it will cost more, but when combining SMX material with Ruben's frame it isn't that much more.

SMX vs. Stewart:
I put up the SMX material so I could see 1/2 SMX and 1/2 Stewart. The Stewart had more pop. I know a lot of people like SMX material and I agree it is better than a lot of other options, but ask yourself why there isn't a comparison to Stewart screens on Ruben's site. Again, please understand, this is no knock to Ruben what so ever, his material is very good. It is my opinion that Stewart has a better screen. What you must do is ask if it is worth the additional cost. SMX material only compared to Stewart with frame, Stewart is way way, way more money. SMX with SMX frame compared to Stewart, the Stewart Screen is more but not that much, and you get a better picture. My .02.

I see a lot of positive posts about Ruben's screen and I do not mean this to be a slam to him in any way. He provides a very good product at a fair price. All I am saying is look around at all your options, a screen will last a long long time.

Flame suit on. And no I do not work or sell Stewart products.

(Please take this a just one person's opinion and not an upset customer, Ruben was very good to me).

Great post. Stewart makes incredibly great screens and they been around long enough to prove it. But your comparing a screen with a gain coating (Stewart) to a screen that doesn't have a gain coating (SmX CineWeave).

Every screen differs, but screens with gain coatings have trade offs, such as narrow viewing cones, sparklies, dark corners, non-uniformity, drop of gain with offset projectors, noticable micro-perfs from seating distance and moire on perf/microperf screens. I get more and more calls everyday from people with moire issues on microperf screens looking to switch over.

Then audiowise, a perf/mico-perf screen combfilters allot even with eq. If you put that 1.3 - 1.5 gain screen next to a 1.8 or 2.4 gain the 1.3 is not going to pop as much any more. Then putting that 2.4 gain next to a Silver Star is going to make the 2.4 gain screen dull in comparson.

I did do a comparison between a microperf StudioTek 130 and the SmX CineWeave and the ST130 had a slight bit more pop but it was very slight.

As far as frame comparisons, the SmX Pro-Line is stronger, blacker, acoustically insulated and better designed than what is currently on the market. Plus, we designed the Pro-Line frame so the end user can seamlessly adapt our masking system to it. This is great for anyone who wants to upgrade to our masking system later on after purchasing the Pro-Line system.

At the end of the day, you have to be happy with your choice. If I was looking for higher gain I would personally scratch the AT screen idea and go solid cosidering all the trade offs. Or even better, get a brighter projector and get a weaved AT screen.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #28 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottyson View Post

I don't know what is wrong with the customer service. I emailed for a sample back in February and I still have not gotten anything.

I apologize for not getting your sample request. It could of been an email issue or bad timing (we moved in the new factory February). Please email me again for a sample and I will get it out right away.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #29 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 PM

Another very satisfied SMX screen customer here. I am super picky when it comes to attention to detail, so please believe me when I say that Ruben's SMX material is just a fantastic material to use for an AT screen, be it home theater or commercial. There were a couple mixups and I had to wait quite a while to get it, but man was it worth the wait!!!

Using a Directv HR20, an Optoma HD7100 back about 23 feet with a U85 VC lens perched in front of it, a Lindy 3X1 HDMI remote controlled switcher, an Oppo, and a powerful HTPC, you could honestly say that I have reached Home Theater Heaven.

The 2.35:1 screen is close to 14 feet wide and 6 feet high, plenty bright and it's as if my front 3 speakers were right out in the open! Absolutely stunning! Great big picture AND great big sound!

The front three speakers are ESS AMT 1-D Monitors with heils. I also have the same for the two surrounds and a center rear. All full range, all hidden behind AT material and powered by an Outlaw 7 X 200W AMP,with a 12" sub up front (as if I need one) and a buttkicker in each of the two leather recliner sofa's. The SMX material was easy to work with and I skewed it just a little on my DIY frame for moire reduction. Probably not necessary but did it anyway.

The only problem I am having is that the routine work around the house is constantly getting in the way of watching the BIG SCREEN!!!!! Just kidding. But for anyone considering doing an AT screen, definitely GO WITH SMX!!!! YOU Will Not Be Disappointed!!!!
post #30 of 1281 Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Great post. Stewart makes incredibly great screens and they been around long enough to prove it. But your comparing a screen with a gain coating (Stewart) to a screen that doesn't have a gain coating (SmX CineWeave).

Every screen differs, but screens with gain coatings have trade offs, such as narrow viewing cones, sparklies, dark corners, non-uniformity, drop of gain with offset projectors, noticable micro-perfs from seating distance and moire on perf/microperf screens. I get more and more calls everyday from people with moire issues on microperf screens looking to switch over.

Then audiowise, a perf/mico-perf screen combfilters allot even with eq. If you put that 1.3 - 1.5 gain screen next to a 1.8 or 2.4 gain the 1.3 is not going to pop as much any more. Then putting that 2.4 gain next to a Silver Star is going to make the 2.4 gain screen dull in comparson.

I did do a comparison between a microperf StudioTek 130 and the SmX CineWeave and the ST130 had a slight bit more pop but it was very slight.

As far as frame comparisons, the SmX Pro-Line is stronger, blacker, acoustically insulated and better designed than what is currently on the market. Plus, we designed the Pro-Line frame so the end user can seamlessly adapt our masking system to it. This is great for anyone who wants to upgrade to our masking system later on after purchasing the Pro-Line system.

At the end of the day, you have to be happy with your choice. If I was looking for higher gain I would personally scratch the AT screen idea and go solid cosidering all the trade offs. Or even better, get a brighter projector and get a weaved AT screen.

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

Please understand, I am not knocking your screen. But for me, age is taking it's toll on my ears, fortunatly I can still see fairly well, so I am opting for the extra pop. I honestly have no problem with your product. You have done an incredible amount of work on your theater and on finding a screen material, far more than I could ever do. To top that off, you offered the material to others for a very reasonble price. I think it is fantastic that you are now offering a complete solution, screen and frame, with masking to come. My hat is off to you and I wish you the best!

BTW, your screen does have gain, right?
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page