The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 100 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #2971 of 2985 Old 03-18-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
Hi,

I'n not familiar with the TAM, but judging by other peoples comments, it seems the Devore is possibly the best material for what you want. Fidelio is said to be marginally blacker, but I can't remember how good it is for frequency attenuation.

Do you need the black backing behind the screen? If you have white/bright or reflective items like speakers behind the screen, then you may need it, but if the speakers are black you could possibly do away with the backing layer.

Gary
You cant use Fidelio as acoustic masking, its just not as transparent as Devore. Devore from the UK is a fantastic product and very BLACK!
Gary Lightfoot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2985 Old 03-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
On the Premier fixed screen, how much room or clearance do I need to install onto the wall bracket? Just doing some prelim planning.
post #2973 of 2985 Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I still would rather less 1/2 dbs than have grey masking.
I too noticed that its actually a blacker black than the thick expensive velvet, less shine, and the thick stuff is fantastic.

BTW its not Chris who sells the electric masking, TAM are a UK company. Hope you have a huge wallet as it costs an arm and a leg, plus a bit more along the way.... In other words you need to be super rich!
Hi Murray -

The only product we don't manufacture here in the US for the North American market are the curved parts of the RF-based VistaCurve, and the Absolute. The TAM is made here, sometimes pre-assembled for those that can carry such a large product into their room. It's still spendy, as the crate alone takes two days to build.

The TAM masking material is the blackest AT material I know of, but we're always happy to play with new materials. The samples of thin, greyish, super-sheer material is what we use as the optional secondary black backing layer behind the EN4K. It doesn't have to do much, so if it's only 90% black it's fine. It's primary job is to be quite-black and be thin. It's never seen.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #2974 of 2985 Old 03-21-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post
On the Premier fixed screen, how much room or clearance do I need to install onto the wall bracket? Just doing some prelim planning.
I'd recommend 1/2" minimum, 3/4" is more comfortable to hook onto the cleats. If you need to do a zero-clearance or aperture mount, then I'd recommend you have us install threaded inserts into the sides so you can mount it from within the studs.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #2975 of 2985 Old 03-21-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
Hi Murray -

The only product we don't manufacture here in the US for the North American market are the curved parts of the RF-based VistaCurve, and the Absolute. The TAM is made here, sometimes pre-assembled for those that can carry such a large product into their room. It's still spendy, as the crate alone takes two days to build.

The TAM masking material is the blackest AT material I know of, but we're always happy to play with new materials. The samples of thin, greyish, super-sheer material is what we use as the optional secondary black backing layer behind the EN4K. It doesn't have to do much, so if it's only 90% black it's fine. It's primary job is to be quite-black and be thin. It's never seen.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris I confused....
When I came to you regarding the curved motorised masking screen you told me your didn't do it and I needed to get it from the UK, which I did.
If you do make the motorised masking, you then on sell it to the UK, is that correct, as you don't offer it for sale in the USA?
post #2976 of 2985 Old 03-21-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Chris I confused....
When I came to you regarding the curved motorised masking screen you told me your didn't do it and I needed to get it from the UK, which I did.
If you do make the motorised masking, you then on sell it to the UK, is that correct, as you don't offer it for sale in the USA?
Curved motorized masking is called the Absolute, only made in UK. Everything else is we make here in the US for only the North American market. Markets outside NA are serviced by the folks in UK, with them importing from us a few product lines (retractable, MFR, Series-2/3, Ambient-Visionaire).

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #2977 of 2985 Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
I'd recommend 1/2" minimum, 3/4" is more comfortable to hook onto the cleats. If you need to do a zero-clearance or aperture mount, then I'd recommend you have us install threaded inserts into the sides so you can mount it from within the studs.

Cheers,
Chris
Hi Chris,

The side inserts wouldn't be necessary, I was just curious more than anything else on the clearance. I requested a few samples from you via email, but more than likely going with the UF with the black backing on H110 Premier Fixed screen. I believe the Sony 350ES should be able project onto that without any issues in low lamp even on a .8 gain.

One more question - For the CW masking, it comes in a set of four to be attached magnetically. So two horizontal pieces each for the top and bottom? Or? Please explain briefly.

So I did a little reading/research here and there last night on you/your company. I'm very very impressed!! Much respect and looking forward to trying out the samples and placing an order.

Thanks!!
post #2978 of 2985 Old 03-23-2015, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post
Hi Chris,

The side inserts wouldn't be necessary, I was just curious more than anything else on the clearance. I requested a few samples from you via email, but more than likely going with the UF with the black backing on H110 Premier Fixed screen. I believe the Sony 350ES should be able project onto that without any issues in low lamp even on a .8 gain.

One more question - For the CW masking, it comes in a set of four to be attached magnetically. So two horizontal pieces each for the top and bottom? Or? Please explain briefly.

So I did a little reading/research here and there last night on you/your company. I'm very very impressed!! Much respect and looking forward to trying out the samples and placing an order.

Thanks!!
Correct the CW (top/bottom) masks come split into fourths to allow for easier handling. They're labeled for each corner.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #2979 of 2985 Old 04-13-2015, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I just stumbled across this thread as I had no idea that you could buy an AT roll down electric screen, I had always thought they had to be fixed frame. I would want a 2.35:1 version, the XD model should suit IIUIC (11-12' viewing distance, 10' wide screen, 19' throw distance from projector).

I currently have a Beamax 1.5 gain non AT screen, which I understand is closer to 1.3 gain in practice, so I wonder if I would much worse off in reflectance terms? I'm using a JVC X500 and can achieve 14fL with the aperture at -6 (low lamp @200 hours) so I have a bit in hand to increase the light output without having to use high lamp.

My TV is on an electric lift so it goes up behind my screen, so my concern is whether I would be able to 'see' the TV through the screen or if it would light up in any way? Also there is a white window cill behind, so would this cause a problem?

Quote:
Ok. The reason I asked was because a few people who have gone from 1080 with a lens to 4k have now sold the lens (and some have kept them of course). One guy I know with an ISCO II who now has a JVC X500 (e-shift) has the lens up for sale as he couldn't see any advantage when using it after comparing.

So now I'm torn between selling mine or keeping it, as I'll be upgrading to a JVC with e-shift or 4K pj in the hopefully not too distant future.

Gary
Seem to be having trouble selling mine, so maybe they aren't as desirable as I'd thought...

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.
post #2980 of 2985 Old 04-13-2015, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Cover the tv in some black material or get the screen with black backing built in. I think that should stop anything reflecting back and being visible behind the screen.

If you can't sell the lens, maybe you should carry on using it

I may end up keeping mine after all...

Gary
Kelvin1965S likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2981 of 2985 Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 AM

@chriscmore , hi chris, i will be on holiday in florida around november later this year and was hoping to pick up one of your at fixed frame screens to bring back to the uk.
a couple of questions, the screen im after would be 16x9 approx 3 meters wide.
how large would the packaging be?
how far in advance would you need the order to reach me at ft myers florida in late november?

kind regards Daniel.
post #2982 of 2985 Old 04-13-2015, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cover the tv in some black material or get the screen with black backing built in. I think that should stop anything reflecting back and being visible behind the screen.

If you can't sell the lens, maybe you should carry on using it

I may end up keeping mine after all...

Gary
Doesn't the black backing further reduce the AT properties though?

I'm not using the lens at all now...little point as there is no gain in my room, slightly reduced contrast when using it and the overspill isn't an issue (completely invisible against my dark brown screen wall). I'm sure it'll go in the end, just might have to be less than I'd hoped...

post #2983 of 2985 Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yes, the black backing will have some effect, like leaving the speaker grills on since it probably has similar properties. If you place it over the tv/behind the screen but not in front of the speakers, that would be better of course. You can probably eq out any attenuation to make it a non issue though.

Gary
Kelvin1965S likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2984 of 2985 Old 04-13-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes by that point I will likely be using Dirac via a minidsp '88, so that can eq to allow for the backing material if need be.
lovingdvd likes this.

post #2985 of 2985 Old 04-13-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1210 View Post
@chriscmore , hi chris, i will be on holiday in florida around november later this year and was hoping to pick up one of your at fixed frame screens to bring back to the uk.
a couple of questions, the screen im after would be 16x9 approx 3 meters wide.
how large would the packaging be?
how far in advance would you need the order to reach me at ft myers florida in late november?

kind regards Daniel.
Assuming if you're getting the Precision or Premier frame that you'd have the top/bottom frame pieces spliced, the H115 or H120 size would fit in a box that measures 92" x 8" x 9" and weigh about 50-60lbs. With enough order time we can get a custom box that could be shrunk down to about 72-74" long, and if the 50lb+ checked baggage fee is an issue then that would vote for sticking to the 115"w, Precision frame, which should weigh about 45lb packed.

Normally I'd say give a couple weeks for production and shipping to Florida, but if you want the custom box give us another week.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version