The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 122Likes
post #3151 of 3168 Old 12-25-2015, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the UF have a front and a back? I am ready to staple the material to the frame but I am unsure if there is a proper direction.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3168 Old 12-26-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Does the UF have a front and a back? I am ready to staple the material to the frame but I am unsure if there is a proper direction.

Thanks
You need to use the inside surface of the roll, as this is the smooth side. The outside surface is stripy and won't look good.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #3153 of 3168 Old 12-26-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply!!
post #3154 of 3168 Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
Mounted my new Seymour XD screen last night,picture is much better than I had with the Elite Screen I had. Sitting 13.5' from screen and I don't see anything but a great picture. I put a JBL Studio 580 behind the screen for the center channel,the sound is much better with the speaker behind the screen. If I had enough room I would of put the left and right behind the screen also but there's a beam right above the left speaker so that would of had the speakers to close together for my taste. Overall very happy with the product and delivery was only 2 weeks from when ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this picture was taken I put down a black carpet in the room,truly a black hole now.

chriscmore and ellisr63 like this.
post #3155 of 3168 Old 01-26-2016, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opethion View Post
Below is a picture with both weaves against a black backing. Depending on the incident angle of the light and depending on which side of the XD is up, the irregularites in the weave look different. In a normal home theater setup, both horizontal and vertical lines are visible. This is not the case with the sample. The picture mainly shows the obviously different quality of the weave. E.g. the horizontal dark lines (arrays of bigger sized holes) are only there in the actual XD screen, not in the XD sample. It is also obvious that sample has a slightly higher gain because it is more densely woven (I don't care about that, though).
For what it's worth, I just received a sample of XD along with a couple other screen materials, and the sample exhibits just this irregularity. I really need the gain of XD or something similar, but if the actual screen came with this irregularity it would drive me bonkers. It appears as dark diagonal lines across the surface at a distance.
post #3156 of 3168 Old 01-27-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtavan View Post
For what it's worth, I just received a sample of XD along with a couple other screen materials, and the sample exhibits just this irregularity. I really need the gain of XD or something similar, but if the actual screen came with this irregularity it would drive me bonkers. It appears as dark diagonal lines across the surface at a distance.
Then you are accessing the XD's material characteristics beyond its intended use (>10ft viewing). You should instead evaluate the Center Stage UF material (<10ft viewing), or for the industry's closest inspection the Enlightor-4K, which is used as close as across mixing consoles.

Cheers,
Chris
nathan_h likes this.

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3157 of 3168 Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
Then you are accessing the XD's material characteristics beyond its intended use (>10ft viewing). You should instead evaluate the Center Stage UF material (<10ft viewing), or for the industry's closest inspection the Enlightor-4K, which is used as close as across mixing consoles.
Hi, Chris,

This would appear to be batch-to-batch variation, as the XD screen I saw a month or so ago did not exhibit the weave irregularity. For what it's worth, the pattern of lines formed by the irregularity was quite visible at 10'-12' as an overall texture of lines. I am assured by Jon that this is not necessarily the way all XD screens look, and I'm nearly ready to order a retractable/masking 2.35:1 screen of this material, on the assumption that it doesn't all have this pattern.

The UF material has a nice, even texture and pure white color - I suspect it would also work, if I have enough light. The Enlightor-4K has a lovely fine texture as well - I am sure it would work at short distances. The color balance appears different from the other two materials, though not so much that I think it would be any problem at all to correct it.

I've used a couple different projector calculators to try to figure out how much gain I need. I'll be doing a 130" wide 2.35:1 screen, projecting from just over 15' away (minimum throw for the JVC RS400 projector). One calculator estimates 22ftL for a 0.8-gain screen, the other estimates 10ftL. Quite a difference! If the former calculator is correct, I could use the Enlightor-4K material and simply not worry about texture at all. If the latter is correct, I'd be better off with XD. Any idea which is closer to right?
post #3158 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 147
A UK reviewer has an 8.5 feet wide 2.5 AT screen using the enlightor 4k material and he sits 8 feet from the screen with no visible weave. The UF should be fine too. The XD may work if the image isn't too bright, but it would be a gamble unless you tested beforehand.

A more accurate way to guestimate the fL of your screen, is to find an accurate review that has measured the lumens (ideally at both ends of the zoom), and divide the screen area (sqr feet) into the lumens, then multiply by the measured gain of the screen. Then you're using real values and not relying on wildly different online calculators. Or buy a light meter and measure at the screen.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #3159 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
A more accurate way to guestimate the fL of your screen, is to find an accurate review that has measured the lumens (ideally at both ends of the zoom), and divide the screen area (sqr feet) into the lumens, then multiply by the measured gain of the screen. Then you're using real values and not relying on wildly different online calculators. Or buy a light meter and measure at the screen.
Thanks for that process, Gary. I actually was able to find a thread here with measured light output of the RS400, and it sounds like with my screen size, and using lens memory zoom, I'd still have >16fL with a 0.8-gain material in low-lamp mode. That makes the decision easier!
post #3160 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 147
That sounds like you should be fine, even with some lamp dimming with age.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #3161 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hi, Chris,

This would appear to be batch-to-batch variation, as the XD screen I saw a month or so ago did not exhibit the weave irregularity. For what it's worth, the pattern of lines formed by the irregularity was quite visible at 10'-12' as an overall texture of lines. I am assured by Jon that this is not necessarily the way all XD screens look, and I'm nearly ready to order a retractable/masking 2.35:1 screen of this material, on the assumption that it doesn't all have this pattern.

The UF material has a nice, even texture and pure white color - I suspect it would also work, if I have enough light. The Enlightor-4K has a lovely fine texture as well - I am sure it would work at short distances. The color balance appears different from the other two materials, though not so much that I think it would be any problem at all to correct it.

I've used a couple different projector calculators to try to figure out how much gain I need. I'll be doing a 130" wide 2.35:1 screen, projecting from just over 15' away (minimum throw for the JVC RS400 projector). One calculator estimates 22ftL for a 0.8-gain screen, the other estimates 10ftL. Quite a difference! If the former calculator is correct, I could use the Enlightor-4K material and simply not worry about texture at all. If the latter is correct, I'd be better off with XD. Any idea which is closer to right?
If you're within any batch to batch variation, then by definition you're outside of the designed intended purpose of the material in the first place. As Jon suggested, we can snapshot a batch (roll? piece?) and get approval prior to construction, but that entire endeavor is activity beyond what the XD is designed for. What would your regularity spec be and how would you quantify that for production control?

That fact that anything is "quite visible" at 10-12' disqualifies the material for you. I'd use 0.8 gain for the UF gain calculation, and don't forget that if you're using the zoom method to size your screen area for 130"w 16:9 since that's what your panel will be shooting out. Start with the best-picture lumens you think you'll end up with, / 66 sq.ft. * 0.8 gain. Hopefully you can get 16-20FtL (~1320 lumens min). If not, iterate the system accordingly.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3162 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I have a question on the manual masking panels. I see the bottom fits in a groove btw the screen and the frame. The top of the panel has magnets....do you have to insert the top in a similar type groove btw the screen material and frame or do the magnets simply hold the panel in-place btw the frame and the top of the panel?

I have an SMX screen with manual masking. They used grooves built into the back of the frame...you would slide the bottom in and then insert the top into the groove on top, then slide the panel towards the sides of the frame and it would sit on all three sides in these grooves built into the frame. What I didn't like was having to maneuver the panel into place and back of the hand rubbing against the screen material to get it in the groove/channel. I never noticed any negative effect with the hand coming into contact with the screen material...but less contact the better. I found myself using the panels less and less....even though the impact was noticeable with the panels in place.

What's the experience of real world usage?

Thanks
Ron

PS: Would love to support this Iowa based company (being an IA native now in KC). ...even though I'm sure they are Clone fans ).

"Retired" AVS Moderator

FS: SMX 110" x 47" 2.35 Scope Procurv 40 Screen with masking $700
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...een-700-a.html
post #3163 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
A UK reviewer has an 8.5 feet wide 2.5 AT screen using the enlightor 4k material and he sits 8 feet from the screen with no visible weave. The UF should be fine too. The XD may work if the image isn't too bright, but it would be a gamble unless you tested beforehand.

Gary
Yep, agreed.

FYI, I have a rs500, and sit 8.5 feet from a 8 foot wide 2.37:1 EN4K screen, using the zoom method to fill the screen, and I have more than enough brightness to reach reference white at 15ftl, on rec 709 material, calibrated correctly, with the iris closed to -11. And I do not see weave.

I realize this projector is a little brighter than what the OP is going to use, and my screen is a lot smaller. But I also sit a lot closer.

I would really be surprised if one can see pattern in XD material sitting at 15' plus away as the OP indicates he plans to do.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Looking to buy more Triad speakers. Got some to sell? Hit me up.
post #3164 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yep, agreed.

FYI, I have a rs500, and sit 8.5 feet from a 8 foot wide 2.37:1 EN4K screen, using the zoom method to fill the screen, and I have more than enough brightness to reach reference white at 15ftl, on rec 709 material, calibrated correctly, with the iris closed to -11. And I do not see weave.

I realize this projector is a little brighter than what the OP is going to use, and my screen is a lot smaller. But I also sit a lot closer.

I would really be surprised if one can see pattern in XD material sitting at 15' plus away as the OP indicates he plans to do.
Likely I'll be sitting a little closer than 15', actually, given the room layout. The EN4K material is super fine textured - I can't imagine anyone sitting any reasonable viewing distance from it and seeing weave. I'm leaning that direction at the moment, assuming that the RS400 has plenty of brightness for it.
post #3165 of 3168 Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Likely I'll be sitting a little closer than 15', actually, given the room layout. The EN4K material is super fine textured - I can't imagine anyone sitting any reasonable viewing distance from it and seeing weave. I'm leaning that direction at the moment, assuming that the RS400 has plenty of brightness for it.

I sit 13.5' from A 126" diagonal XD screen using a Sony 40es and I don't see any weave. This is in A totally light controlled,dark grey paint,black velvet on the walls and ceiling all the way back to the projector which sits 15' from the screen.

post #3166 of 3168 Old 01-29-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I'll be doing a 130" wide 2.35:1 screen, projecting from just over 15' away (minimum throw for the JVC RS400 projector). One calculator estimates 22ftL for a 0.8-gain screen, the other estimates 10ftL. Quite a difference!
I have almost the same setting (screen size, distance) and the light output is about just right with my Panny 4000.

The variation in calculators may come from the projector setting they used for their calculator. It's very possible that a projector in "Dynamic" mode will provide above 20ftl. However, once calibrated in a "Cinema" mode, the corrected light output may have decreased by half.
post #3167 of 3168 Old 01-31-2016, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a question, i got my screen a few days back but when it is fully open i see on the lower left side and lower right side waves. Does this look right? should i return it?

Update:

I was able to fix it :-) amazing screen people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4652.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	1222338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4653_small.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	1222386  
abs likes this.

Last edited by YanivZX6R; 01-31-2016 at 12:40 PM. Reason: fixed.
post #3168 of 3168 Unread Today, 04:54 PM
abs

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How big is your screen and can I ask how much you paid?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av