The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 194Likes

post #3301 of 3315 Old 01-17-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751
any owners here have experience with the Center Stage UF material paired with a Sony 40es? I'm really torn between this and another material for my screen choice. The UF seems to be very color neutral while the other one seems to have "slightly" better blacks. Of course, judging from these tiny samples isn't easy either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter2002 View Post
I'm also interested, I have the '40ES and looking forward to a larger screen size than what I have now and will need AT screen material to accomplish this

From my experience in a blacked out room, comparing multiple samples, and in fact several different full sized screen combinations, "better blacks" in an AT screen is directly related to "lower gain". I'm using a DLP projector with a contrast probably not too far off your Sony. In dark scenes the lowest gain screen always had an edge, but then looked comparatively dull on brighter scenes. Higher gain materials had the opposite effect. Ultimately I reached an acceptable compromise somewhere in the middle. Though the Center Stage UF had not yet been released when I finished my screen, comparison of a sample since makes the UF material my top choice.
chriscmore and Tweeter2002 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3315 Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
We ran that combo for a while in our HT and really liked it.
Also, with a 45ES
Thanks for the feedback.
-Do you have the lamp mode in it's brightest setting with the UF
-Have you used a different screen material before going with the UF

I currently have Carl's Place Blackout Cloth that I'm very happy with and concerned that I'll notice a considerable drop off in not only brightness, but image detail.

Thank you

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
post #3303 of 3315 Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We use low lamp on a 100" wide 2:35 screen.
Tweeter2002 likes this.

post #3304 of 3315 Old 01-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question to chriscmore:

Fixed vs retractable tab tension.

Is there any difference in how they appear from start/new? Is a fixed always the best option over retractable regarding flat surface.. Or is it only over time that the retractable will get less "flat"?
Can you get the retractable to stay flat longer if you keep it down as much as you can or will it still get these kind of problems.

Thanx in advance!

May be going for the F110 UF retractable to my IMAGINAERUM build here in Sweden. I like wide viewing angle so I will sit close. 8-10 feet in first row is possible.

My build:

https://www.minhembio.com/IMAGINAERUM/
post #3305 of 3315 Old 01-21-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
I knew this was coming...

I have a humble set-up compared to yours and others who have recently posted but I'll get a pic up later today!
Humble? Your setup looks awesome. Keep in mind that just by having a dedicated HT, you are probably in the 1% category.
laugsbach likes this.
post #3306 of 3315 Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGINAERUM View Post
Question to chriscmore:

Fixed vs retractable tab tension.

Is there any difference in how they appear from start/new? Is a fixed always the best option over retractable regarding flat surface.. Or is it only over time that the retractable will get less "flat"?
Can you get the retractable to stay flat longer if you keep it down as much as you can or will it still get these kind of problems.

Thanx in advance!

May be going for the F110 UF retractable to my IMAGINAERUM build here in Sweden. I like wide viewing angle so I will sit close. 8-10 feet in first row is possible.

My build:

https://www.minhembio.com/IMAGINAERUM/
The engineer in me would always advocate fixed over retractable because it's a simpler solution. However, if motorized is what you need, such as I do, then our tab tensioned UF material is especially flat because it has no pvc to have any memory of anything. It won't change over time, as all of our surfaces are fiber reinforced unlike the stretchy vinyl screens. The only tradeoffs I can see with a retractable UF over a fixed solution are 1) cost, 2) forced black backing layer, 3) some pincushioning along the sides. If I were doing spreadsheets where the sides and corners would drive me nuts if they weren't dead-perfect, then I'd stick with an extruded frame. But for video it's not been a concern thus far.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #3307 of 3315 Old 01-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
The engineer in me would always advocate fixed over retractable because it's a simpler solution. However, if motorized is what you need, such as I do, then our tab tensioned UF material is especially flat because it has no pvc to have any memory of anything. It won't change over time, as all of our surfaces are fiber reinforced unlike the stretchy vinyl screens. The only tradeoffs I can see with a retractable UF over a fixed solution are 1) cost, 2) forced black backing layer, 3) some pincushioning along the sides. If I were doing spreadsheets where the sides and corners would drive me nuts if they weren't dead-perfect, then I'd stick with an extruded frame. But for video it's not been a concern thus far.

Cheers,
Chris
but should tensioned retractable screens avoid the pincushion issue? I'm actually in trouble choosing my next screen. I've got a retractable Screen Research 90" wide (CP2+BB) and now, after placed an order for the 5000ES, I want to go bigger. Screen Research retractable over 120" do have a giant case and, as I'm in a situation of very low ceiling, I'm looking for substitutes. I saw Seymour retractable and indeed they seem perfect as regard dimensions. I could go 130" or 140" and maintain a 6" case.
So my concerns are about flatness, straight borders and moiree.
post #3308 of 3315 Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
but should tensioned retractable screens avoid the pincushion issue? I'm actually in trouble choosing my next screen. I've got a retractable Screen Research 90" wide (CP2+BB) and now, after placed an order for the 5000ES, I want to go bigger. Screen Research retractable over 120" do have a giant case and, as I'm in a situation of very low ceiling, I'm looking for substitutes. I saw Seymour retractable and indeed they seem perfect as regard dimensions. I could go 130" or 140" and maintain a 6" case.
So my concerns are about flatness, straight borders and moiree.
Tab tensioning gets you flatness. The material design eliminates moire. Pincushioning is essential in a tensioned retractable design to maintain lateral forces and flatness. We construct a fabric screen with patented assembly features, such as fabric velvet borders, which I believe in the end makes a far superior product to a painted roller shade, however non-pincushioned they can paint their lines.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3309 of 3315 Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 AM

Thank you for the explanation Chris!

Do retractables (Seymour) have a good black backing? Screen is in front of big library (wall-wide)
I'm tempted by UF material because of the smaller texture. I seat 13 feet away so XD would probably be the same, but I'd like to see a flat surface. With ClearP2 I can perfectly see the material from 15 feet away in very bright scenes.
post #3310 of 3315 Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 AM

Correction:... With ClearP2 I can perfectly see the weave from 15 feet away in very bright scenes.

sorry,

Stefano
post #3311 of 3315 Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 AM

Last two question Chris,

technical differences between Enlightor 4K and UF?
If I'd buy a screen, should I have to do directly by SeymourAV or do you have a distributor in EU? (the problem is obviously Custom Clearance).

Thank you in advance,

Stefano
post #3312 of 3315 Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Hi Stefano -

The retractables all feature a secondary black backing layer, so your library wall (or flat panel, or white speakers) won't affect the image.

The XD is evolutionarily better than the CP2 in every performance metric, but since you're after a significant improvement and mentioned texture, I'd go with the UF.

Enlightor-4K is the only randomized weave AT material, and has no minimum seating distance. It's used at mastering studios as close as on the other side of the mixing console (~1m). It has no frequency or phase effect with a flat -2dB attenuation across the frequency spectrum below ~30kHz. It would be available to you only through Screen Excellence at the UK division, and they have distributors throughout the EU.

The Center Stage UF is not a randomized weave, it measures about +10% higher gain than EN-4K (and -20% from XD), and has a whiter look. It's good at ~1.5m further, so you're fine here.

We service customers directly, hence our ability to price the product at a factory-direct price rather than through the distributor/dealer model. The logistics of customs clearance is handled through UPS. I don't know what your non-delivery fees would be in addition to the product, because all countries are different. I'm sure your local network of AV enthusiasts has had some experience bringing in US product?

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3313 of 3315 Old 01-29-2017, 12:48 PM

Hello Chris,

thank you very very much for your kind and tech answer. UF will be the way to go. I haven't received the new projector but I'm sure it's plenty of light and -10% -20 % -30% in 11 or 12 ft wide screen wouldn't be a problem.
When I'll proceed with it, I'll contact you directly at Seymour AV email.
Thank you again!

Stefano
post #3314 of 3315 Old 02-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cutting it too close?

I have a small 80" x 45" viewable frame. If I wanted to be super cheap, would I be able to get away with ordering 4ft of Center Stage UF? So, the fabric would be 84" x 48" and my spline would be about 1" in on all sides. That would leave about .5" - 1" on the edges. Not knowing how stretchy the UF is, would that be possible? If I am able to move the splines in .5" inch each, leaving 1" - 1.5" on the edges, would that be enough?

Last edited by genesis_avs; 02-04-2017 at 03:18 PM.
post #3315 of 3315 Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis_avs View Post
I have a small 80" x 45" viewable frame. If I wanted to be super cheap, would I be able to get away with ordering 4ft of Center Stage UF? So, the fabric would be 84" x 48" and my spline would be about 1" in on all sides. That would leave about .5" - 1" on the edges. Not knowing how stretchy the UF is, would that be possible? If I am able to move the splines in .5" inch each, leaving 1" - 1.5" on the edges, would that be enough?
You'd be close, but the material will stretch ~1/2"-1". If you have fine fingers no problem. If you have Andre the Giant hands, you may appreciate more area.

Good on the spline track. A great way to install it at smaller sizes so you get perfectly consistent tension.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av