post #451 of 2703 Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanter View Post

Well, I've now got the screen installed but my wiring and control solution is a no-go so far.

I've posted a more detailed explanation in the home automation thread linked above. I don't think I understand the wires coming out of the 4-wire motor. Chris (or anyone) have any suggestions for me?

Hi Max -

Since you have a 4-wire motor, the basics are:
green wire: ground (yellow/green for the 230v folks)
white wire: common (blue for 230v)
black wire: screen down
red wire: screen up (brown for 230v)

It is a 210w motor, so make sure any switching device you use is rated for that. If you end up either needing just a wall switch, let me know and you can get a maintained 3-position. If you end up needing more control options, let me know and you can get the motor control box and control it any way you want.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2703 Old 05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Hey Chris,

I sent you a message via your website. A couple of last questions before I order.

1. If you order a satin white case can you get a black batten?
2. If I order the 115" 2.37 screen, can I get an 8" left and right border instead of the standard 2"?
3. Are you using the XD material in your electric screens yet? The website says it is beta consult factory.

Thanks
Patrick

1. Yes, because the weight bar is rolled in 4" black velvet, black is the only color option for the batten.
2. This one is tougher. I could stitch on 4" black velvet along the sides, but they'd need to steer clear of the tension hardware on the bottom of the pipe. It would be unusual for us to do, but if it's critical we'll figure it out.
3. Only for select applications. Either wide scope screens, smaller than standard, where the customer has a real need (e.g. sitting closer than typical), and/or where the smooth screen type projectors are used (e.g. Panasonic, D-ILA/LCOS/SXRD)

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #453 of 2703 Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofdbn View Post

In this post some figures were given comparing reflectivity and light opacity of Seymour AV Swiss Velvet and its black backing (BB) (as well as other materials).

Anyone have a picture of how the two look next to each other? I might place my LR speakers adjacent to the screen, rather than behind. If I hide them behind the Seymour AV BB, would the difference between the screen border and the BB be very noticeable or jarring?

I'll see if I can snap a picture sometime, but if you need samples let me know. It really depends on how much light is expected to go through it from behind, vs. direct reflection absorption (e.g. overscan), vs. how much AT is needed. Our BB is not quite as dark as GoM, but is more acoustically transparent. How dark they are in comparison to a black velvet I'd say is noticeable, but I don't think jarring in a bad way. Another way you can get the effect is to try a really thin, cheap velvet. Some of them are so thin that they are quite acoustically transparent, but maintain some velvet look. If we focused on masking panels, I'd have direct options I could offer, but you're swimming in less familiar DIY waters.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #454 of 2703 Old 05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Wider 2.35 (or custom variation thereof) ratio screens are now available. We added the 120" wide and 130" wide image sizes. I can't go that wide in the 16:9 ratios at this time because only so much material fits into the case, and images with that much height push the standard material too hard.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #455 of 2703 Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took advantage of the Seymour AV screen upgrade policy and installed a new 115" wide, 2.35 aspect ratio, XD retractable screen. What a great product Works perfectly with my panasonic PT-AE3000U projector (no tilt in the material micro hole pattern). The screen hangs almost perfectly flat.

post #456 of 2703 Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

The retractable screen manual was WAY overdue for updating. I finally got it finished up with a lot more photos and details about unpacking, installation, control and troubleshooting.

http://www.seymourav.com/articles/Ce...structions.pdf

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #457 of 2703 Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 PM

So are the fixed mount screens still anticipated for release on the 15th? Are they going to use the new material???
post #458 of 2703 Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post

So are the fixed mount screens still anticipated for release on the 15th? Are they going to use the new material???

Yes and yes.

I'll have more photos and of course pricing up on the 15th. While the XD will be standard and available on all screens on the 15th, I'll need a bit more time to get it's new specs and pictures of the XD on the site.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #459 of 2703 Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looking foward to pics of your new screen. Congrats on moving foward with what I'm sure will be another fine product. Already recommended someone to look at it when it comes out the 15th. Good luck.
post #460 of 2703 Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 PM

interested in the retractable screen. I called last week, spoke to chris, Is there a new screen fabric coming out, when? what was the difference? thanks
post #461 of 2703 Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just checked out your new fixed frame and also looked at the install instructions to see how it comes together. Very Nice!! Install seems as simple as it could possible get. The pricing seems very fair too, good luck on your new product.
post #462 of 2703 Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM

I was looking at them this morning. I like what I see.
post #463 of 2703 Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, they are very reasonable, indeed.
post #464 of 2703 Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM

I want one...do you stock the sizes, or is there a delay while they are built to order?
post #465 of 2703 Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat99 View Post

interested in the retractable screen. I called last week, spoke to chris, Is there a new screen fabric coming out, when? what was the difference? thanks

We got the first batch of our new Center Stage XD last winter, but in the 63" roll size it was (is) quite limited to nice wide scope screens. We now have in stock the 98" roll size Center Stage XD, so we can make any and all of our screens with the upgraded material.

I'm way behind updating the site for the XD pics/specs - it's high on the list to do - but in a nutshell it's our new weave where we:
1) tripled the hole density from ~500/sq.in. to 1500+/sq.in.
2) tweaked up the gain a tad to 1.2
3) improved the acoustical transparency +0.5dB from 2k-20kHz
4) much finer weave allows closer seating and an invisible texture at normal seating distances.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #466 of 2703 Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post

I want one...do you stock the sizes, or is there a delay while they are built to order?

We don't stock sizes, since everything is hand made to order here in Ames, IA. They take about a week to make, although I had a visitor at the end of the day yesterday pickup a fabric order and when he saw the new fixed frame screen he insisted that we make one for him right now. Jon lasted until about 12:30am and I sealed it up at 2am.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #467 of 2703 Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will the wider XD fabric be available for DIY soon?

I'd like to build a 110" screen but after working in the tilt, I don't think it would work with the 63" fabric.
post #468 of 2703 Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amps View Post

Will the wider XD fabric be available for DIY soon?

I'd like to build a 110" screen but after working in the tilt, I don't think it would work with the 63" fabric.

The 98" wide XD is in, standard on all manufactured screens, and available for DIY.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #469 of 2703 Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
I really need you guys to help me decide, I just not convinced that a AT screen will look as good as a solid screen.

I just think way too much light passes though the screen and is lost. I also can't decide on 2.35 vs 16:9 but that's another issue. I got the XD sample, and it looks fine but it is really hard to judge from the small area and I am afraid that full screen it will not look the same. And now there is a new wider XD fabric with a slightly different weave.

Tell me how happy you are to convince me.
post #470 of 2703 Old 06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tom -

If the letter size doesn't suit you (larger than most other companies send), you could get the $20 sample that is 24"x24". On 4 sq. ft. it's pretty easy to tell if you'll like it or not. Just make sure to put something dark behind the sample, as an AT screen over something white looks terrible.

Also, we offer 30 return guarantee on everything but cut DIY material orders. The most you'd be out is shipping, but again the 24x24 is even lower risk.

Finally, the upgrade policy enables you to upsize later in case you feel that you want more later on.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #471 of 2703 Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Chris,
I will be buying the backing and fabric from you and I already have the roller, I am just trying to work out the tensioning system before I decide on the material width. Can we have detailed pictures of the tab tensioned screen? I would like to see how its done for a DIY build. Thanks!

sCiEnt
post #472 of 2703 Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBonge View Post

I really need you guys to help me decide, I just not convinced that a AT screen will look as good as a solid screen.

I just think way too much light passes though the screen and is lost. I also can't decide on 2.35 vs 16:9 but that's another issue. I got the XD sample, and it looks fine but it is really hard to judge from the small area and I am afraid that full screen it will not look the same. And now there is a new wider XD fabric with a slightly different weave.

Tell me how happy you are to convince me.

Hi Tom,

I have the XD material on a 115" wide 2.35:1 DIY screen and I absolutely love it. I can not tell that the screen isn't "solid" until about 3-4 feet from the screen.

BTW, the picture, as well as the sound (L/C/R speakers behind the screen), is fabulous with my Panny 3000.
post #473 of 2703 Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

I put up a couple short video clips. First, while the o-ring tension system seems easy to install, in reality it actually is. The clip is here: O-ring installation

Second, to demonstrate the robustness of the tension system, here's a clip of something you'd never try on other screens that use snaps, rods, t-trim, etc: Tension durability

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #474 of 2703 Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at a 105" wide extended drop 16:9 electric.

My install is kind of tricky and I need some dimensions such as exactly where is the mounting rail located w.r.t. the bottom of the case.

I also need to know exactly where the screen drops out of the case front to back. (is it closer to the audience or closer to the wall?)

Anyone have these dimensions or maybe a closeup pic showing the underside of the case?
The installation guide doesn't seem to have much detail on this. I only know the case is 5.5"Deep x5.8"High.

Where along the 5.5" does the screen actually go in and out of the case and where along the 5.8 is the center of the mounting bar?

Thanks,
Ken
post #475 of 2703 Old 06-21-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post

Where along the 5.5" does the screen actually go in and out of the case and where along the 5.8 is the center of the mounting bar?

The standard method is that the screen unrolls from the back, or closer to the wall. There's only ~0.5" clearance from the bar to the wall. If you prefer that it unroll on the opposite/front side, we then need to do a reverse roll. That's no problem, but since the front of the case doesn't have a mounting feature, reverse rolls need to use their ceiling mount side to install.

The wall and ceiling mounting bar features in the extrusion are in the middle of each dimension.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #476 of 2703 Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Chris,

So I can't have it as this sketch shows?

Thanks
LL
post #477 of 2703 Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post

Chris,

So I can't have it as this sketch shows?

Thanks

No, the extruded aluminum doesn't allow for that. You show the mounting feature where the designed, curvy part of the case is. In hind sight, perhaps we should have nixed the design goal on the "front" and just put another french cleat mounting feature.

Other options include: 1) caseless screen, which you can mount in any orientation you want with the two end L-brackets, and 2) we can drill/tap threaded mounting holes on the ends of a case so that you can L-bracket it to the wall like you drew.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #478 of 2703 Old 06-22-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Just placed my order (XD in 98"x180") and am very excited!!! Thanks for answering all my questions Chris.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #479 of 2703 Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Hello Chris,
Anything on pictures of the tab tensioning system? (Only if you don't mind sharing them, of course)

sCiEnt
post #480 of 2703 Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi Cris, I bought some center stage from you almost one year ago and still did not use it. Do you think I can use it to replace a retractable screen of mine? If yes do you think is going to be difficult? Tks Marco
Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

User Tag List
chriscmore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page