Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #631 of 2773 Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
chris:

Back in post in post 167, it was mentioned a 12V trigger option to control the retractable screen was only available with th Somfy motor. That's a really expensive way to go if only need a 12V trigger. Is this still the case?

With popular projectors offering 12V trigger out, such as the panasonic pt-ae4000u, it would be nice to have a low cost 12V trigger solution. Any suggestions:

fteixeira
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2773 Old 11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey Chris, sorry to keep asking questions....

If I wanted to paint my screen case, how hard would it be to take it apart and re-assemble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #633 of 2773 Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish88 View Post

Chris (or anyone else willing to take a stab at this),

I think I saw mention somewhere in this thread that you were looking at the possibility of manufacturing masking panels for your screens. Any rough ETA on this? Winter '09/Spring '10? Later? I'm looking at CIH and love the clean look it provides when viewing 16:9 content on a 2:35 screen.

Also, for mounting purposes, I have to fit the screen in a 56" opening between a knee wall and a soffit. As far as I can tell, the max diagonal I could go with on a 2.35:1 would be 125" (approx 49" tall + 7" extra). Would this be too tight? Would I be better served going with 119" diagonal (appox 46.5" tall + 7" extra)?

Not sure it matters, but I'm planning on purchasing the AE4000.

I'm a newbie to this, so I appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jeff -

We haven't really started that project still. I'm hoping to start it soon. I can't estimate the availability date because I'm not sure how much off-the-shelf components I can use versus custom. If I want something custom extruded, that's 2-3 months right there. We'll do it, though, for sure and I'll know more later.

I'd try for the largest size you can put in there, and keep in mind that if you want us to trim it down however small you want we can do that too. We don't charge any extra for custom sizes, it's just the price of the larger standard size. You can specify it to the 0.1 inch, so if you were concerned about a F115, we could do a F114.5 for example.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #634 of 2773 Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteixeira View Post

chris:

Back in post in post 167, it was mentioned a 12V trigger option to control the retractable screen was only available with th Somfy motor. That's a really expensive way to go if only need a 12V trigger. Is this still the case?

With popular projectors offering 12V trigger out, such as the panasonic pt-ae4000u, it would be nice to have a low cost 12V trigger solution. Any suggestions:

fteixeira

We now have an inexpensive solution available. Using the Gen4 motor controller (and the 4-wire screen motor option), we have a little 12Vdc module that you simply wire into the dry contact terminals and voila, your motor controller speaks trigger.

I'll get it added to the site with a pic soon.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #635 of 2773 Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Hey Chris, sorry to keep asking questions....

If I wanted to paint my screen case, how hard would it be to take it apart and re-assemble?

That's hard to do. If I were you I'd mask the slot and paint it in the case. Let me know if you need new labels or anything.

Foam's going out tomorrow, btw...

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #636 of 2773 Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

That's hard to do. If I were you I'd mask the slot and paint it in the case. Let me know if you need new labels or anything.

Foam's going out tomorrow, btw...

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris,

I will try to mask the slot then.

Patrick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #637 of 2773 Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hey Chris,

I received my screen and I LOVE IT! My custom order for the fixed frame screen was perfect in size.

Thanks again!

post #638 of 2773 Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Hi Chris,

I have been saving my pennies and might just have enough before the end of the year for a retractable screen. I will want to mount it in the ceiling. Has your in-ceiling mounting kit made it onto the drawing boards? I know you mentioned it as a future option a while ago, and I want to encourage it's development. I'm a development engineer myself, so I'd be glad to help with debugging the prototype, if that will be the stage it's at.

~Ken
post #639 of 2773 Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Chris,

Got the screen case painted and it looks really nice. I put on three coats of paint with a "paper" sand job in between coats. Thanks for the advice.

I also need to lower the screen stop down about 3". I couldn't find my owners manual, how would I go about that?

thanks
patrick

post #640 of 2773 Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

I also need to lower the screen stop down about 3". I couldn't find my owners manual, how would I go about that?

thanks
patrick

The manual is online at http://www.seymourav.com/ It has the procedure for the RF controlled screens. Might work for IR.
post #641 of 2773 Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

The manual is online at http://www.seymourav.com/ It has the procedure for the RF controlled screens. Might work for IR.

Hi Kendo -

Not quite. The IR control is done through the external control box, which controls the 4-wire motor. The 4-wire motor is mechanical in its limits, so is manually adjusted with a hex tool and little pots on the motor head. The manual needs a specific little section with pics on this.

On the ceiling kit, it hasn't been started yet.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #642 of 2773 Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:

On the ceiling kit, it hasn't been started yet.

Too bad; I'd hoped for a SeymourAV solution for the ceiling trim. I'll have to switch to plan B. I sent you an email yesterday about ordering a screen. We can discuss it in that venue.
post #643 of 2773 Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Hi Chris. I'm looking at the f130 fixed screen. Is there anyway to mount the fixed frame flushed with the ceiling? If I buy a 2:35:1 130" wide fixed screen, how far down from the ceiling does the cleat go, and can I get away with 2 9 inch cleats? How much does this frame weigh? Can you do 2.4 instead of 2.35?

Thx.
post #644 of 2773 Old 12-07-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimluu View Post

Hi Chris. I'm looking at the f130 fixed screen. Is there anyway to mount the fixed frame flushed with the ceiling? If I buy a 2:35:1 130" wide fixed screen, how far down from the ceiling does the cleat go, and can I get away with 2 9 inch cleats? How much does this frame weigh? Can you do 2.4 instead of 2.35?

Thx.

Yes, several ways. One (not flush method) is for us to thread/tap holes for black eye bolts (which we have) for you to either chain to the ceiling or we have a fine gauge stainless steel cable we can Nicopress to whatever length you need.

What it sound like you'd prefer is to mount a 2x4 along the 2" side to the ceiling. Then, you can mount the cleat to that, and hang the screen from the cleat. The cleat only needs about 0.5" to 1" to hang the screen from, depending on how close you want to do it and how variable your ceiling surface is. For this kind of installation, I'd recommend a small stop-block be added to plug the distance from the screen to the ceiling in at least one spot so that someone couldn't accidentally bump the screen up and it come off the cleat. Safety chaining in the back is another alternative.

For that wide a screen, standard would be for us to send you two, 18" cleats. Since the screen only weighs about 45 lb, you could certainly use two 9-inch or smaller cleats. We can chop them and send whatever you want. As long as you get at least two load-bearing mounting points, it'll be good.

2.4 or 2.37 is no problem. We make to order and can do whatever you want with a 0.1" resolution, so if a F129.7 at a 2.4 ratio is what you need to fit - then just specify it.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #645 of 2773 Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey Chris,
Thanks for taking my phone call the other day. I ordered my screen yesterday with Scottyb and I can't wait for it to arrive!!

I also can't wait to see what you come up with for masking panels!

-Mike

(2010+)
or

(2003-2007)
post #646 of 2773 Old 12-11-2009, 04:41 AM

+1 on the masking panels. I've been using the screen for about 3 months now and it's awesome - been extremely pleased. I thought about trying to make my own masking panel but I doubt it would look as good as what Chris comes up with.
post #647 of 2773 Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisherjr View Post

+1 on the masking panels. I've been using the screen for about 3 months now and it's awesome - been extremely pleased. I thought about trying to make my own masking panel but I doubt it would look as good as what Chris comes up with.

For those interested in making their own masking panels for their Seymour screen, you could probably improvise something by using neodymium magnets.

Here's how:

You build masking panels with magnets in them. The screen frame is made of aluminum, so magnets won't stick. HOWEVER, the L-brackets (that are used in the frame corners) are made of metal. Unfortunately, they aren't really long enough, vertically, to position a masking panel.

But, if you can fit your own strip of metal (or magnets) into the frame during assembly, then you could easily attach a masking panel to the screen frame. (The panel would cover the frame and not touch the screen).

Or, if Chris were to either (A) pre-install neodymium magnets at the 2.40:1 spot, or (B) supply a longer L-bracket, then all you'd have to do is make the masks. What do you think, Chris?

The only downside to this approach is that if the magnetic attraction is too strong, you're going to flatten the nap of the velvet. So, if you had the lights on and the masks off, you might get some flat-spotting on the Seymour frame. With a bit of trial-and-error, you could find the right size/strength of magnet to provide just enough strength to hold it in position. That still might flatten the nap a tiny bit, but with the lights off, you won't notice it.

post #648 of 2773 Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 PM

I took my existing 106" Elunevision (fixed frame) and converted it over to a Seymour XD screen. I then made a mechanical horizontal masking system. The two masking panels are tied together using 1/16" cable, pulleys and a shaft mounted with pillow block bearings. The masks stay level and move together (opposite direction) when you move one mask. Since the masking panel has to move up and down in front of the screen frame I made a sheet metal angle to attach onto the back side of the masking panels to carry the edge of the masking system to the screen. Masking panels and angle are wrapped with Triple Black Velvet. My system does not create any shadow on the screen. Click on the link at the bottom of this post for the build thread. If you have any questions I will try to answer them for you. AT screen with a masking system is a great way to go. I love mine.
post #649 of 2773 Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Dragon Reborn,

Did you build the magnetic masking panels you describe? I looked through your pictorials but didn't see them.

Thanks, Ken
post #650 of 2773 Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

Dragon Reborn,

Did you build the magnetic masking panels you describe? I looked through your pictorials but didn't see them.

Thanks, Ken

Yeah, I built the panels myself, detailed at the thread link below. If you have any more questions about the panels, feel free to ask:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1200781

post #651 of 2773 Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Great write-up. Some of those pictures of the velvet panels look like holes in my screen, which is probably what you want and what they look like in action Nice idea about using foam for the masking panels. I haven't gotten nearly that far yet.
post #652 of 2773 Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 AM

I've had the centerstage 116" retractable screen for about 9 months, with the original fabric. I see there are alot of questions about recessed installations - I did a recessed install of the screen in by basement (9ft ceiings), between the floor joists (just by luck the joists were running parallel to the direction I needed the screen). So I mounted the screen between the joists and left the 19" space between the joists open, and drywalled the rest of the ceiling. Then to trim it off, I installed about 16" of suspended ceiling flush with the drwall, leaving about a 2.5-3" slot that the screen drops through. I also wired an outlet up into the ceiling for power. It worked great, and the nice thing is that if I ever need to get access to the screen, it is not a prob with the suspended tiles, and if I ever need to move, I can take the screen in the case with me. I'll try to get some pics up over the holidays here.

Second thing is that my screen has developed some pretty major waves, and I've been dealing with Chris for possible solutions. I have the XD sample fabric, and with the Panny 3000AE, I can't say I notice alot of IQ difference sitting even 12 ft from the screen (holding it up for comparison). I have seen the couple other responses from AV members regarding the wave issue, but if there are any other suggestions that would be great!
post #653 of 2773 Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I am having a heck of a time picking a screen. I think I have narrowed it down to two choices though. The Center Stage XD and the Enlightor 4K, I have samples of both here to look at.

The biggest pluses to the XD material are price (great price for a DIY) and the better gain, 1.2 -vrs- .98

The only thing that has me worried is that the 4K material is much finer and smoother. When you put the two side by side it makes the XD look very coase and patterned.

The XD is a much heavier and durable looking fabric. The 4K is much thinner and more transucent, which is why it has the lower gain I am guessing. I am really on the fence about this even though the 4K cost 4 times as much.

Has anyone done any direct comparing of these two screen? I hate to bring anouther brand of screen in to this thread and don't mean to offend in doing so. But I think the best source of information is people that have actually used and had these products.

I could try and take a comparison picture if anyone it interested

post #654 of 2773 Old 12-25-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi SA-

The original screen material HAD to be cut at a tilted angle, which for retractable screens made them more difficult to get the tension forces balanced out well enough. There are several things you can do depending on the pattern of the waves as shown in the manual.

The XD material greatly helps this because it's moire reducing weave allows us to not tilt the cuts for retractables. So while we still as a standard tilt the cuts for fixed screens and often recommend them for DIY fixed - since there's no down side other than some scrap - now that we're (so far) successful in non-tilted XD retractable screens, we've made them much less sensitive to how they hang.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #655 of 2773 Old 12-25-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Mopar -

I don't yet have a comparison analysis for the EN4K, although I give it all proper respects as a great screen material. At close distances, it is the smoothest texture AT screen anywhere, so while the arms-length comparison looks obvious, check them out at your viewing distances.

The price differences aren't that great if you compare fully manufactured fixed frames. DIY to a finished product isn't very fair unless you consider your DIY time as entertainment (some do - it's an affliction). So while there is some difference to the budget, it may likely come down to a brightness vs. texture for you.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #656 of 2773 Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Mopar -

I don't yet have a comparison analysis for the EN4K, although I give it all proper respects as a great screen material. At close distances, it is the smoothest texture AT screen anywhere, so while the arms-length comparison looks obvious, check them out at your viewing distances.

The price differences aren't that great if you compare fully manufactured fixed frames. DIY to a finished product isn't very fair unless you consider your DIY time as entertainment (some do - it's an affliction). So while there is some difference to the budget, it may likely come down to a brightness vs. texture for you.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for your comments. And yes my time is worth very little I don't mind making my own stuff. I actually kinda prefer it.

I will do some more evaluating in my room when I get it more in order, just got the rear riser finished up today. One thing that I can't tell is if when you project an image on it if the texture disapears, no projector yet.

I have had rear projection for a few year now, before their was LCD. I it alway bug the heck out of me to go to someone elses house and watch a CRT because I could see all the "dots" on the screen. Even the cheap LCD I can see it and can't stand it. That is the kind of thing I want to stay away from if possible. I am pretty sure that I am going with the Panny 4000.

post #657 of 2773 Old 12-26-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Got to chime in with a great big two thumbs up for the xd centerstage screen.

I've had several different screens with the last one being Stewart StudioTek 130 : 16/9 aspect ratio that was 8' wide. I've always considered myself a videophile first and movie lover second.

After sampling a large piece of xd material I took the plunge and ordered the centerstage xd to do a 120" wide 2.35 diy screen. It was the easiest screen material to work with that I have done.

The end result is amazing. The picture quality is excellent and having three identical speakers directly behind the screen definately raises the whole experience to a new level.

No way I would go back to a solid screen.

Chris was patient with me and got the precision cut piece out to me within 24 hours so I could build the screen over xmas break and enjoy the new theater.

thanks Chris! I'll be ordering another screen for the kid's theater in a few weeks. Only this time I think it is going to be 12-14' wide.
post #658 of 2773 Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Chiming in again - my fixed screen arrived, and it looks awesome. The Fidelio velvet is great, and the install o-ring system is a breeze.

I have a question about hanging the screen in regards to "blocking" the sound. I had everything framed with the assumption that the base of the image would start at 30" above the floor. Now that the screen is hung, I was thinking of raising its height, but that would mean the bottom of the aluminum frame would be at 30", "blocking" 3.5" of sound.

Acoustically, will this make a large difference? My speakers are floor standing Martin Logan ESLs -- they top out at 53" high, and the panel itself starts at 27" off the floor. They *should* be about a foot from the screen and framing, as close to the back as I can manage.

Images attached for visual - those are photoshopped in speakers for visual assistance
LL
LL

-Mike

(2010+)
or

(2003-2007)
post #659 of 2773 Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post

Chiming in again - my fixed screen arrived, and it looks awesome. The Fidelio velvet is great, and the install o-ring system is a breeze.

I have a question about hanging the screen in regards to "blocking" the sound. I had everything framed with the assumption that the base of the image would start at 30" above the floor. Now that the screen is hung, I was thinking of raising its height, but that would mean the bottom of the aluminum frame would be at 30", "blocking" 3.5" of sound.

Acoustically, will this make a large difference? My speakers are floor standing Martin Logan ESLs -- they top out at 53" high, and the panel itself starts at 27" off the floor. They *should* be about a foot from the screen and framing, as close to the back as I can manage.

Images attached for visual - those are photoshopped in speakers for visual assistance

Why not just put them on a 6" riser?

post #660 of 2773 Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Filmmaker View Post

Second thing is that my screen has developed some pretty major waves, and I've been dealing with Chris for possible solutions. I have the XD sample fabric, and with the Panny 3000AE, I can't say I notice alot of IQ difference sitting even 12 ft from the screen (holding it up for comparison). I have seen the couple other responses from AV members regarding the wave issue, but if there are any other suggestions that would be great!

I've had an XD retractable for the last 6 months, and had the original material for a year prior to that. My original screen did develop some waves, mainly in the lower corners. I checked the new one when it arrived and it was table flat. But recently I noted some non-linear movement in the top half of the screen just right of center and when I investigated I found that the tension wire on that side hadn't been put thru the loop at that height during manufacture. No biggie, I just popped off the end cap, removed the turnbuckle and threaded it thru and re-attached it.

But in working on the screen I did notice that it has seemed to develop some minor waves again in the lower corners. Its also got some very minor ripples along the top edge, but I'm also using about a 20" drop so this may be a contributing factor. (They're not really an issue, esp for scope material with the black bars.) To address the corner waves I adjusted the tension wires to lengthen them slightly to allow the bar to exert more force on the screen and that seemed to mostly eradicate them. I think the material is stretching a small amount, and hopefully this doesn't continue. But if it does I think it just means the tension wires need to be tweaked every so often. My only real concern is that if the velvet borders don't also expand, at some point it might not be possible to adjust the tension to effectively eliminate any waves. I am curious to know if the fixed frame and DIY folks have found that small waves eventually develop in isolated areas and they need to re-tension?

This is by no means a reflection on the quality of the product Chris offers and despite this small issue the CenterStage screens are still the bang for the buck leader by a mile. Plus I know with his excellent customer service if any of these items do become irreparable, he'll take good care of me!
Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

User Tag List
chriscmore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page