The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Screens > The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread!
dave7's Avatar dave7 08:52 AM 01-23-2010
Maybe tonight.

My hushbox weighs about 70 lbs because it's veneered MDF. When I put it back up (a royal PIA) I must have bumped the PJ because the image is slightly tilted.

bfisherjr's Avatar bfisherjr 09:24 AM 01-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Silly question.

The fabric right now (as of today) for the seymour AT screens for 170" wide is only like $300 (unless I don't understand linear ft pricing).

The framed version is still a very reasonable $2000.

I like Seymour's offerings a lot, but what's stopping me from buying the fabric and trying to make my own frame? What am I getting out of the frame basically, other than something that will probably look more professional than I can do - and also ability to mask easier later on?

Thanks,
ELmO

I have one of Seymours prebuilt frames and I am exceptionally pleased. I originally considered making my own but decided against it for the following reasons:

- Looks. I bet I could have made it look pretty damn good... but hard to compare to Chris's frame. It looks extremely professional - the velvet on the frame is awesome. No bending or warping even for an exceptionally long screen (I have the 130 in 2.35 format).

- Time - Took me about 30-45 minutes to build and hang the Seymour. Would have taken me a week or two to build my own.

- Masking - again, I could build my own, but I'm confident Chris's will look better than mine when done. I'm looking forward to seeing what his options look like. I have CIH system so I need to mask the sides of the screen for HDTV.

- Risk - The screen is such an important component of the overall system, the last thing I wanted was a tiny wrinkle or bend to form over time. I am confident the Seymour screen will stay perfect forever. My screen is "floating" in the room so it was important to have a screen that I knew was very strong and wouldn't warp or bend over time.

These reasons may not be worth it to you - depends on your circumstances. For me, it was totally worth it. Just like my sub - I could have built my own... but there are advantages to buying one that is already well designed and proven.
elmalloc's Avatar elmalloc 09:31 AM 01-23-2010
thanks that makes sense. any pictures of your screen?

I'm also CIH and I wonder if I should wait for his curved offerings...does the border help mask any pincoushining you may have - or are you not using an anamorphic lens?
stevecornell's Avatar stevecornell 04:31 PM 01-23-2010
Has anyone bought the screen material from Chris with the grommets already installed? Basically a fixed screen less the frame.
I have no problems building the frame but it would be nice to use the O-ring tension system.
I have an email into Chris and I'm sure he'll reply the first of the week but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
dave7's Avatar dave7 06:16 PM 01-23-2010
Yes, I did (see above) and Chris was very helpful all along the way, giving me the exact grommet measurements and how far off the material to put the posts.

However, if your just going to duplicate the dimensions of one of his screens/frame, you should just get one of his. There's a lot of time and still some cost in making one yourself. His frames wouldn't work in my set-up, so I did my own.
elmalloc's Avatar elmalloc 06:50 PM 01-23-2010
dave did you go 2.35, 2.37, or 2.4?

Any recommendations? I'm using a lens.

I cannot zoom out (I am at max zoom, nearly), but I can zoom in and make the picture smaller if I must...

Thanks,
ELmO
stevecornell's Avatar stevecornell 08:45 PM 01-23-2010
The reason I'm leaning toward building the frame is I'd like to "45" the corners to give me a bit more room to the ceiling, my HT room is a bonus room over the garage and the top of the walls are sloped.

Thanks!

dave7's Avatar dave7 07:37 AM 01-24-2010
Quote:

dave did you go 2.35, 2.37, or 2.4?

Any recommendations? I'm using a lens.

I cannot zoom out (I am at max zoom, nearly), but I can zoom in and make the picture smaller if I must...

Thanks,
ELmO

My constraint is the width, so I went 16x9 and will make some nice masks for movies. As a family, we still watch a bit of cable content. I am not using a lens, it's a more basic HT which is why I also didn't do a curved. I thought a curved would look really good, but I was talked out of it since I don't have a lens.

BTW - one mistake I made was wrapping the whole frame in black velvet, even where the screen material rests against the frame. I had to make a shoulder since I wrapped the material around the sides. However, I upholstered everything in velvet, and the velvet sort of "pokes through" the fabric on this shoulder. My fix will be to simply remove a strip of velvet from the shoulder and paint it black. Just an FYI - most folks would never run into this issue.
elmalloc's Avatar elmalloc 07:39 AM 01-24-2010
yes curved should not be used without a lens..

great!
bfisherjr's Avatar bfisherjr 05:59 PM 01-24-2010
Quote:

thanks that makes sense. any pictures of your screen?

I'm also CIH and I wonder if I should wait for his curved offerings...does the border help mask any pincoushining you may have - or are you not using an anamorphic lens?

Hi, here are some pictures.

Pincushioning was minimal - I expected a lot worse. To be honest, when the lights are off, you really can't see it. I have the image set to overscan slightly onto the frame and the black velvet sucks it up nicely (you can't see the light on it).

I considered going with a curved screen but decided against it:
- harder to mount. In my room, my screen floats (its not built into a false wall)

- I wanted room for a lot of people to watch movies/sports. Curved screen makes a smaller "perfect" seat. The flat screen makes it nice no matter where you sit.

- cost - I expect curved screens will cost more because it requires more work.

I do think however the curved screen looks cool and probably has a bit more wow factor than flat.
elmalloc's Avatar elmalloc 06:47 PM 01-24-2010
hi thanks for taking the time to upload pictures for me. looking wonderful son, now get off this forum and view it 5 hours a night!
kendo70433's Avatar kendo70433 08:48 PM 01-25-2010
Has anyone managed to add a SeymourAV screen to their Logitech Harmony remote? I can't find it in any of the pull-down menus.

And since I have had the remote for a while, Logitech has completely cut me off from support. My email has been blocked from even registering again. I was thinking of upgrading to the One. But if this is how they treat customers, I will shop for a different universal remote manufacturer.

Does the Seymour screen (with IR controller) use codes listed under a different manufacturer?
SteveHorn's Avatar SteveHorn 09:39 AM 01-26-2010
Kendo, did you see the IR codes download on the Seymour web site? Towards the bottom of this link. I don't know anything about the Harmony, but maybe at RemoteCentral.com, someone knows of a way to program Pronto codes into a Harmony.
kendo70433's Avatar kendo70433 10:03 AM 01-26-2010
Logitech, at least when they had excellent customer service, would take such a spreadsheet and import it, even link it to one's account. Then one could log in and update their remote control. There is no way to program a Logitech remote control using just the spreadsheet. It has to be done through active Logitech intervention. And if they don't let me log on, I can't even report the interest.

Logitech could also set up a "device" in their database called SeymourAV with the commands in the spreadsheet. But they don't have any category called "Screen" so I don't know where I would find it in the database if they did import it. Maybe I'll set up a fake account with them and ask them to add the device.
elmalloc's Avatar elmalloc 11:23 AM 01-26-2010
who is the premier LCD screen remote manufacturer these days?
scottyb's Avatar scottyb 01:59 PM 01-26-2010
RTI,
But they are expensive. More real world pricing I really like Universal Remote.

scott
Doug G's Avatar Doug G 03:23 PM 01-26-2010
I just bought a Philips Pronto TSU9300 to replace my now 10 year old TSU2000 (monochrome) which was getting dim and a little flaky on the touch screen (to be expected after 10 years of daily use!) The form factor is very different with many more hard buttons, but I've gotten used to it and I LOVE it. I think I paid 5 bills for the original unit back in y2k and I just paid 1 more than that for this new one from B&H, but its worth every penny. Really bright color screen, lots of hard buttons, even programmed the dial control around the arrow pad to work my X10 lights (dim/bright) since I don't have a music server (which was the original target application but new firmware/sw just enabled it to be programmed for anything, not just catalog scrolling.) I have macros galore setup so even my 70 year old Dad can use anything in my media room so long as he can read the icons on the home screen (er, so long as he knows the screen has to be put down with the SeymourAV remote...DOH!) And I don't even make use of the java scripting support which can enable two way comm capability (not enabled in the 9300) for real-time feedback and status which makes it even more powerful for home automation/integration. It also has native Wifi support but I also currently don't use that (it really restricted to music server at this point I think.) The hardest decision to make was whether or not to spring for the 9400 or not, but in the end I decided I wanted a more compact remote since I tend to use it more in the traditional sense and several commented that the screen (same res but slightly smaller) was more vibrant so I went with the 9300 in the end.

I know this is really OT for this thread, but its horror stories like the one above which really make me wonder why anyone in their right mind would by a "programmable" universal remote when it has to be programmed by someone else?! WTF? Just buy a Pronto (even a used one), go to remotecentral.com and if there's an IR device, you can pretty much find the code you need. If not, just learn it! I can't ever see myself not owning a Pronto, they simply are too indispensable due to their unlimited flexibility and IR-blasting capabilities. The software has also gotten a lot better since v1.1!

Pronto, there is no substitute.

Current Philips Pronto lineup web site

(Actually, I did mention SeymourAV in there so I guess it really wasn't that OT..... )
SteveHorn's Avatar SteveHorn 04:48 PM 01-26-2010
Looks like if the Logitech Harmony can learn IR sequences from another remote (bypassing the Logitech central database "functionality"), one approach would be to teach a Philips Pronto the Seymour codes, then use the Pronto to teach the Harmony. A long way around, but it should work. Do you know of someone close by that has a Pronto or other remote that can be taught IR sequences thru a software app similar to ProntoEdit? Plan B: I'll mail you an old Pronto I have, with the screen codes in it, you teach your Harmony, test it, and then send back the Pronto.
kendo70433's Avatar kendo70433 06:49 PM 01-26-2010
Steve,

That would be great if you are willing to do that. I don't know anyone here with a Pronto.

Ken
Outflying's Avatar Outflying 06:58 PM 01-26-2010
Is there anyone in the Las Vegas area that would be kind enough to demo their AT Seymour Screen? I'm sure I could find a beer or a bottle of wine for you trouble...lol. THANKS!
SteveHorn's Avatar SteveHorn 07:02 AM 01-27-2010
Kendo70433l
PM sent.
Steve
LotToLearn's Avatar LotToLearn 09:46 AM 01-27-2010
Hi all.

I am thinking about changing the design of my theater, which will bring the screen a foot or 2 closer to the viewer.

Originally the viewing distance was 11', but with this change the viewing distance would be 10' or 9 1/2'.

Is 9 1/2' enough viewing distance so I won't see the pattern? I got a screen sample but will be a while before I get a projector to test (will be a Panasonic PT4000).
gimmepilotwings's Avatar gimmepilotwings 10:23 AM 01-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

It's on the product plan for this year, but masking panels first.

Cheers,
Chris

I'll probably be the 100th jerk to ask this, but do we know when this is going to be a reality and an approximate cost? I assume the cost will compare with Carada, correct?

I did a quick search.
scottyb's Avatar scottyb 06:50 PM 01-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotToLearn View Post

Hi all.

I am thinking about changing the design of my theater, which will bring the screen a foot or 2 closer to the viewer.

Originally the viewing distance was 11', but with this change the viewing distance would be 10' or 9 1/2'.

Is 9 1/2' enough viewing distance so I won't see the pattern? I got a screen sample but will be a while before I get a projector to test (will be a Panasonic PT4000).

You're right on the edge.
The new material is better but still close.
Try shining a flashlight on the material from close and sit in your seat and see if you can see it.
You can always wait til you get the projector as Saymour's lead times are small. A week or so.

Scott
kendo70433's Avatar kendo70433 12:41 PM 01-28-2010
With Chris's help, I found what is probably the right Harmony Device to control the SeymourAV retractable screen. It's filed under:

Device
Home Appliance

Manufacturer
Electronic Solutions Inc.

Model
RP60AU

When I get the screen installed, I'll test it and report success. (How's that for optimism?)
phansson's Avatar phansson 12:47 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

With Chris's help, I found what is probably the right Harmony Device to control the SeymourAV retractable screen. It's filed under:

Device
Home Appliance

Manufacturer

Model
RP60AU

When I get the screen installed, I'll test it and report success. (How's that for optimism?)

Is this just the standard motor or the somfy motor control?
chriscmore's Avatar chriscmore 01:39 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post

I'll probably be the 100th jerk to ask this, but do we know when this is going to be a reality and an approximate cost? I assume the cost will compare with Carada, correct?

I did a quick search.

They'll be fixed, insertable panels, not the motorized type like Carada. I don't have pricing established. I have extrusion drawings out for review, so it's still a bit early. Hopefully out by April?

Motorized masking is not currently in the plan.

Cheers,
Chris
chriscmore's Avatar chriscmore 01:42 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Is this just the standard motor or the somfy motor control?

The standard Gen4 motor controllers. The Somfy motors can also be found in "Appliance", vendor "Somfy."

BTW, I'm dropping Somfy, as they just don't justify themselves currently. Maybe if they included a bottle of nice French wine with every motor. I'll still maintain availability of parts and accessories, however.

Cheers,
Chris
phansson's Avatar phansson 04:44 PM 01-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

Device
Home Appliance

Manufacturer

Model
RP60AU

Appears to not work. I tried it tonight. The rp60au was available, but didn't do anything at all.

Any suggestions Chris?

Would it be possible for you to send the information to Harmony to add to their existing codes?

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is the remote that comes with the standard motor RF or infrared? I couldn't "learn" the code with the Harmony remote.
kendo70433's Avatar kendo70433 06:36 PM 01-28-2010
I have a customer support case open with Logitech right now to explicitly add the SeymourAV device to their database. I sent them both the Pronto file that's on Chris's web site and an excel spreadsheet of the codes that I think I got from here. I'll let you know when they declare success. It should be in the next day or two. But my screen isn't installed yet. So if someone could test it then, I could let Logitech know it's all set.
Tags: Seymour Av
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop