post #1021 of 2720 Old 07-18-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Hey Chris. I have a question on my screen height. I got the H100, 16:9 ratio, so the height should be 100*9/16 = 56.25". I measured mine and it is only about 55.6-55.7".. so I am missing about half an inch. The width is spot on though, at almost exactly 100".. This require me to zoom out a bit to cover the top and bottom, not a big deal, but just wondering if this is normal?

For all 16:9 and 2.35 images, we truncate to the tenth of an inch. So 56.25" would be 56.2". This is done because content for those screens errs in the side of being wider aspect ratios. For all 2.37, 2.39, and 2.40 images we round to the tenth because those are more nominal to that group of content.

For retractables only, we shave another 0.2" off the image height by design, in order to average and place stresses on the fabrics where I want them and to account for how the sides are constructed. I don't want to go into detail on why those are done. There are a lot of tricks I've learned in making these and improving their stress distribution. Keep in mind it's a complexed set of assembled, different fabrics, not just a painted square of vinyl.

I will revise the posted height dimensions on the site to reflect what we do.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 2720 Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hung a 110" Center Stage screen last year and have been quite happy with the results.

My Center Channel is behind the screen, horizontal (sorry Chris, I know) and about 2" off of the Seymour CS. Black speaker cloth as a backing.

I have come up with some 2" OC703 and feel behind the screen around the speaker might be a good place for it with my setup.

Am I missing anything where this might be a bad idea?
post #1023 of 2720 Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExToker View Post

I hung a 110" Center Stage screen last year and have been quite happy with the results.

My Center Channel is behind the screen, horizontal (sorry Chris, I know) and about 2" off of the Seymour CS. Black speaker cloth as a backing.

I have come up with some 2" OC703 and feel behind the screen around the speaker might be a good place for it with my setup.

Am I missing anything where this might be a bad idea?

That is pretty typical I think. My entire wall behind the screen is covered in 703
post #1024 of 2720 Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 AM

On average, what distance do you need between the Front L/R speakers and a CS fixed frame screen?

I'll be using Axiom M80's for the Front L/R and Center channel driven at a volume sure to give the cat permanent hearing loss and bring a divorce decree from my wife.
post #1025 of 2720 Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 AM

You can go as low as a few inches. Ours is 3" away and it sounds great.

Scott
post #1026 of 2720 Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

That is pretty typical I think. My entire wall behind the screen is covered in 703

Mine too...

Quote:

On average, what distance do you need between the Front L/R speakers and a CS fixed frame screen?

Mine is less than 2" from screen - no issues.
post #1027 of 2720 Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my theater about done with a 142" wide XD screen. Works and looks great. Now got to find time to watch a movie.

post #1028 of 2720 Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 PM

You dont need a movie for entertainment Mudder. Just sit and look at your room
Very Nice!
post #1029 of 2720 Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Got my theater about done with a 142" wide XD screen. Works and looks great. Now got to find time to watch a movie.

Lovely lovely lovely.. especially love the ceiling and effect! Good job, and try not to spend 24 hrs a day in the theater room.. There are still something out there
post #1030 of 2720 Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Okay, so I'm getting a Panasonic 4000 and am doing this in a low-light basement. There are just 3 small escape windows that can be easily blacked out. I want 16x9. I have determined a white screen is best for me since it's in a low/no light room. I have looked at Elite, Da-Lite and SeymourAV so far. I still haven't seen any in person, but I have no reference anyways since this is my first setup.

I can't decide if I should go with a 120" A/V screen for perfect placement of speakers & screen for more money, or if I should just go with a smaller regular 110" screen and put the speakers behind the faux wall and be off center a little more. Also, would I gain any PQ by going with a regular screen vs AV?

The closest seats will be about 7 to 8' from the screen. The Rear seats (where we'll be mostly when no guests are there) will be around 12-14' from the screen. I only have about 8.5' of room for seating on the side wall since I need room to walk by on the right side (about 2-2.5'). We'll be slightly off center (about 1' to 1.5' width off) with a regular screen.

I'm having a hard time dropping so much money ($1100) for a 16x9 120" screen. If I just buy the screen material and DIY on the frame, it seems very reasonable ($20/linear ft for screen & backing = ~$400?). Is my calculation there correct? Any thoughts on how I could change my setup plan or which way to go?
post #1031 of 2720 Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjensen View Post

Okay, so I'm getting a Panasonic 4000 and am doing this in a low-light basement. There are just 3 small escape windows that can be easily blacked out. I want 16x9. I have determined a white screen is best for me since it's in a low/no light room. I have looked at Elite, Da-Lite and SeymourAV so far. I still haven't seen any in person, but I have no reference anyways since this is my first setup.

I can't decide if I should go with a 120" A/V screen for perfect placement of speakers & screen for more money, or if I should just go with a smaller regular 110" screen and put the speakers behind the faux wall and be off center a little more. Also, would I gain any PQ by going with a regular screen vs AV?

The closest seats will be about 7 to 8' from the screen. The Rear seats (where we'll be mostly when no guests are there) will be around 12-14' from the screen. I only have about 8.5' of room for seating on the side wall since I need room to walk by on the right side (about 2-2.5'). We'll be slightly off center (about 1' to 1.5' width off) with a regular screen.

I'm having a hard time dropping so much money ($1100) for a 16x9 120" screen. If I just buy the screen material and DIY on the frame, it seems very reasonable ($20/linear ft for screen & backing = ~$400?). Is my calculation there correct? Any thoughts on how I could change my setup plan or which way to go?

Getting the center channel behind the screen is the biggest thing, that is what you want. If the L/R are slightly off to the sides of the screen it is not too big of a deal. When I run in 16:9 mode my sides are out side the screen, but when I run in 2.35 they are behind the screen. Either way sounds great. My first row is about 12' from the screen and it look killer, no complaints here. Oh I have the Panny 400 also, I would recomend getting the wider material so you can tilt the screen, just to be safe.
post #1032 of 2720 Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM

I've posted numerous times, moving our speakers behind the screen was one of the best moves we've made in our HT. You sacrifice a TINY bit of video quality but gain LARGE amounts of audio placement.

Scott
post #1033 of 2720 Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Before you spring big bucks for whatever size, I suggest you cobble together a cheap screen using whatever material you find at your local Hancock/Jo-Ann/Hobby Lobby store. Each run sales of material that could pass for screen fabric. If your to-be screen wall will allow, place your speakers and buy fabric that tends toward acoustic transparency. You can get white polyester fabric for $4+ per yard. That will get you a decent sized screen that you can use to test 1.78 vs. 2.35, speaker placement, screen width, etc. You don't even need a frame; just tack it up (tightly) to your target screen wall. Of course, you can get carried away, as I did, and build a temp DIY frame, wrap it with velvet (Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann, Hancock), tack your screen fabric to the back of it, hang it on the wall and experiment. Also, several of the screen manufs. will sell small samples of screen fabrics. This is highly recommended, to check for its appearance in your space.
post #1034 of 2720 Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 AM

it would certainly help my screen placement since my seats have to hug the wall and it'd keep my right front speaker from being too far to the right.

so is getting the material probably my best bet to save money since i'm building a faux wall? I can just build the screen with some 1x4" boards and allow it to drop in to the wall or something like that. I"m just worried about getting it 100% flat.

and are all of the SeymourAV screens acoustic?
post #1035 of 2720 Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I used this stuff: http://www.screentight.com/prod-screen-tight.shtml

Just need the base though not the cap. Has two channels so you can put the black backing in one and the screen in the other.
post #1036 of 2720 Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Hi
Does the screentight track and spline come rolled or flat?
Does anyone know where I could get some shipped to New Zealand?
Maybe one of you guys might be able to help me procure some,more than happy to pay for your time.
Cheer's Steve.
post #1037 of 2720 Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Another option would be this stuff or this. Found these listed over in the dedicated Theater design and construction subforum.
post #1038 of 2720 Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 AM

I did something similar to what Mudders product provided, the 2 channels.
I used 1 x 4s and cut 2 slots down the length of each piece with a table saw, about 3/8" deep.

Using window screen spline (size ss165? fits the slot that has been cut), you can roll the fabric(s) in like a window screen and staple the spline once you are happy with the fit. Black backing first to the inside kerf, and then the screen fabric over that to the outside cut.

You can cut a small piece of wood with the slots, and take that and pieces of the fabric, to a local hardware store to confirm the correct size spline.
Screen roller and spline should cost about 15 bucks.

Worked great as you can go back and adjust any specific section if you are not happy with it. Staple the spline (or small brads) when you are satisfied.
post #1039 of 2720 Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I put up my XD screen and frame a few weeks ago and I can honestly say I would never not do an AT screen after having the center speaker behind the screen.

I suppose I could have gone wall-to-wall and got all the speakers behind the screen, but this still makes my 52" TV look like a computer monitor.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #1040 of 2720 Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

I put up my XD screen and frame a few weeks ago and I can honestly say I would never not do an AT screen after having the center speaker behind the screen.

I suppose I could have gone wall-to-wall and got all the speakers behind the screen, but this still makes my 52" TV look like a computer monitor.

Jason,

Nice Job!

Precisely how wide is the front of your room and what size screen is that?

Thanks!

...Glenn
post #1041 of 2720 Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Jason,

Nice Job!

Thanks!

...Glenn

Judging from the size of the speaker, I will take a wide guess of about 120-130" diagonal??
post #1042 of 2720 Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Jason,

Nice Job!

Thanks!

...Glenn

The room width is only 11'4". With the layout of the basement, it's about the best I could do (if interested, you can click the link in my signature). The length is 24'x". The screen is actually the smallest SeymourAV makes at the 97.5" diagonal.

I originally wanted to do 120", but I was thinking about speaker placement and getting them out as far is I could without having to work with the frame being in the way. Last year, I bought the material from Chris so that I could make my own 100" screen. Now that the project is nearly done, I decided I have done enough of the DIY and had them build me a frame. With the material I had, that was the biggest size I could go.

I set about 12' from the screen and it really does make my 'big' TV's look small. The only time I really think my screen is small is when I go to Scott's (W00lly) house and watch a movie over there on his 14' wide screen.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #1043 of 2720 Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM

I received a sample of the Center Stage XD and noticed that compared to the white envelope it was shipped in, the screen material has a very subtle yellow cast to it.

Are the samples exactly the same as a full role? Is the off-white color normal?
post #1044 of 2720 Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxbrown View Post

I received a sample of the Center Stage XD and noticed that compared to the white envelope it was shipped in, the screen material has a very subtle yellow cast to it.

Are the samples exactly the same as a full role? Is the off-white color normal?

Bleached paper is actually a bluish white and not videophile 6500K neutral. I'll either shoot the meter at an envelope to get its color temp or switch to another color so as not to have our neutral white next to what a lot of people perceive as "white." After seeing a proper calibration, a lot of folks think the image too warm, but after you get used to it, you'll become more sensitive to what 6500K white looks like and find people's Best Buy blue images annoying.

And that's our real goal: getting you where you can't stand anyone else's image quality and speaker configuration. You'll be completely intolerable.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #1045 of 2720 Old 08-01-2010, 03:12 PM

I'd like a AT screen, but the minimum suggested 12' distance is a problem. The first row needs to be around 10' so I was looking at the Screen Excellence 4k material. When I go to the US site for Screen Excellence I get to "Seymour Screen Excellence" is it safe to assume that name is not a coincidence?

Can I order a fixed frame screen with the 4k material from Seymour?
post #1046 of 2720 Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamps View Post

I'd like a AT screen, but the minimum suggested 12' distance is a problem. The first row needs to be around 10' so I was looking at the Screen Excellence 4k material. When I go to the US site for Screen Excellence I get to "Seymour Screen Excellence" is it safe to assume that name is not a coincidence?

Can I order a fixed frame screen with the 4k material from Seymour?

You should try a sample of XD and see it's ok at 12' for you or not. For some, they can see it but there are a lot viewing it at that distance (and closer) just fine.

Yes, Seymour-Screen Excellence is now an affiliate. I'll PM you the contact information for the nearest dealer.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #1047 of 2720 Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM

We run an XD at 9' and it's rare we notice the material surface and even if we do it's only for a couple seconds and it's usually just me(I'm the video guy).

All that see out HT say the sound coming from the screen is GREAT!!

Scott
post #1048 of 2720 Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 AM

agreed - we're about 10' and don't notice the weave. Performance has been outstanding - no regrets (130" fixed frame - beautiful)
post #1049 of 2720 Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Scamps,
Go here and send Chris $20 for a 24" sample of XD and try it. Once Chris makes S-E EN4K samples available, get a sample of that too. A screen is a big investment decision. Best to do a lot of homework, especially if you're considering an AT screen. You have video AND audio issues to satisfy.
post #1050 of 2720 Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHorn View Post

Scamps,
Go here and send Chris $20 for a 24" sample of XD and try it. Once Chris makes S-E EN4K samples available, get a sample of that too. A screen is a big investment decision. Best to do a lot of homework, especially if you're considering an AT screen. You have video AND audio issues to satisfy.

what's the difference between the two? a quick search didn't reveal too much.

i'm going to get a sample of the 24" as soon as i get my projector in (i think i'm waiting for cebit to order the panasonic 4000)
Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

User Tag List
chriscmore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page