Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Larry M,

Where are you located?

I am on the South Shore in Western Suffolk!

...Glenn : )

Bergen County NJ just outside Suffern NY, Franklin Lakes NJ, Paramus NJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2790 Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Larry M,

Where are you located?

I am on the South Shore in Western Suffolk!

...Glenn : )

I think you will really like the Enlightor 4K. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1593 of 2790 Old 02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ditto this response... to the letter.

Just put mine up this past weekend, and it's GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Glenn,

My recommendations would be to come to the Dark sideboth figuratively and literally. As you see in my post above the XD material is quite a bit brighter than the EN4K however I still ordered the EN4K in 120 16:9.

If you want to wait about 6-8 months I can tell you exactly how it will look with an RS45 or hell you're in LI so you can stop by

My reasoning for going with the EN4K despite the rather large price variance were as follows:

My first reason is the frame on the EN4K is just beastly. I'm sure the XD frame is great but I tend to overdo things and the EN4K frame is overdone!

This is all I opened of the box to see how black the material is and it is BLACK. The scratch you see in the picture is magnified by the flash. I'm not sure how it got there because it was packaged very nicely. You can't really see the scratch in person and I'm not thinking it will be a problem if the projector is over scanned on it.

My second reason is the 4K material, even though it is less bright I am confident my next projector whether it be 2 or 4 years from now will be 4K and a brighter technology. If I would have went with the XD I know in a couple of years I would be stuck with a screen that would be limiting my projectors capabilities. Do it once, do it right.now if a 4K material comes out with higher gain then oh well.

My 3rd reason was the black backing. With the XD this is an extra expense and is something that would possibly benefit me since I have Definitive Technology Super Tower speakers. The speakers aren't shiny but they're not dull either so not worth the chance.

My 4th reason was that I ordered the screen early in my construction phase so I haven't completely blown my budget away. Had this been 4 months from now and I was trying to limit the financial damage I may have thought otherwise and regretted it over the long run.

post #1594 of 2790 Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
A review was posted this week of the 4K material in Electronic House:
http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...theater_screen

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #1595 of 2790 Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 AM

Liked: 10
nice stuff is dicussed here see you again ..guys

regards

sushil
post #1596 of 2790 Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HI Guys,

Need some advise.
My speaker will be only about 1 - 2 inches behind the AT screen is it OK?

Is there any minimum distance between the screen and speakers so that SQ will not be affected.

Thanks

Cheers
Marcus
post #1597 of 2790 Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post

HI Guys,

Need some advise.

Is there any minimum distance between the screen and speakers so that SQ will not be affected.

Thanks

Cheers
Marcus

If we're talking mains, yes, you're fine

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #1598 of 2790 Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

If we're talking mains, yes, you're fine

Hi Brad,

Thanks, yes only the main L/C/R.

Marcus
post #1599 of 2790 Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Thought I would post my update on this thread...I got my 115 inch Jamestown Frame/Seymour XD screen today - it took about 20 minutes to put the frame together and about 45 minutes to get the screen on - with my wife's help...and another 10 minutes to hang it....piece of cake! No creases at all in my material..I have a few tweaks left to do but it looks AWESOME! I'll get some pics tomorrow.

I played Hubble 3D Imax first...I thought for several weeks about what my first movie would be and landed on this film as I have heard it is stunning and a great reference BD. The image coming from my Epson 6010 onto the new screen was amazing! Very bright in 3D, and the acoustics were fantastic, no apparent loss of level or dynamics, IMHO. I am no videophile, this is my first projector, but this was an amazing experience...

I mounted the screen direct to my wall, it couldn't be more than 2 inches from my B&W CWM7.3 center speaker, and no movement that I could tell - I may do some testing on this tomorrow. There was some VERY loud scenes in this movie and I never saw any issues.

I was near tears watching the STS-125 launch scene - I was there in person and it was great to relive the experience, but sad to know there will be no more shuttle missions.

Regards,
Chris

post #1600 of 2790 Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 AM

Marcus, mine are only 1-2" from screen and I've never seen any issues.

Congrats Chris

Quick question to anyone... I want to put some LED lighting behind the frame to create a glow (when the system is off). Has anyone done that yet and any lessons learned?
post #1601 of 2790 Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post

HI Guys,

Need some advise.

Thanks

Cheers
Marcus

Same as mine. I also have the black AT backing, so there are two layers. My Left and Right tower speakers and center channel speaker are all behind the screen. Sounds great to me! I've tried raising and lowering the screen while playing music to see if I could tell any difference. It's not a fast A/B comparison, so it's not a good test, but if there was any difference in sound it was too subtle for me to tell.
post #1602 of 2790 Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisherjr View Post

Marcus, mine are only 1-2" from screen and I've never seen any issues.

Congrats Chris

Quick question to anyone... I want to put some LED lighting behind the frame to create a glow (when the system is off). Has anyone done that yet and any lessons learned?

There was an LED Screen lighting thread just recently. I commented in that thread. There is a difference, depending on what material you get. SeymourAV vs. Seymour SE EN4k

post #1603 of 2790 Old 02-22-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

There was an LED Screen lighting thread just recently. I commented in that thread. There is a difference, depending on what material you get. SeymourAV vs. Seymour SE EN4k

Do you mind posting that link, I am about to purchase all my electrical for the basement

post #1604 of 2790 Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1393070

post #1605 of 2790 Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Here's an interesting article created by one of our dealers in the UK. He installed a 170" wide Center Stage XD screen, and fired two projectors to record their differences.

http://www.geckohomecinema.com/1080p-vs-4k.html

The 1080p shown in the screen shots is a 3 chip 1080p DLP Runco VX44d (£80,000), and the 4K projector is of course the new Sony VPL VW1000ES (£16,800). They were fed identical material from the same player, both onto the XD screen. First, it's amazing the difference in detail from changing only the projector. Keep in mind that while the Sony's 4K may seem like ridiculous overkill for now, this incredible performance improvement is available at a fraction of the cost of the 3-chip Runco. Of course, the Runco is crazy-price, but it always makes my heart flutter when something much less expensive performs so much better.

Also, please note that the performance of this nearly-six figure, otherwise state of the art projector is not being limited by the Center Stage XD screen. In fact, the screen has so much more to resolve. Also, while the argument is solid that if you buy a quality, reference projection screen it will last through several projectors and be the best investment in the room, keep in mind how inexpensive the XD screen is relative to the other equipment.

Rob had this sage advice regarding screen selection for future-proofing your theater:
Quote:

Do I Need a Different Screen?
If you have a flat white screen it will be perfect for 4k projection. Vinyl screens with acoustic perforations and some woven screens however will compromise picture quality. Where the best picture and sound quality is required we typically recommend Seymour AV screens as providing the best combination of acoustic and video performance. These screens are also excellent value for money.

The couple caveats of course regard screen size and seating distance. Their demo screen is a spaceous 170" wide 2.35 ratio. While we don't yet have a minimum size rating for 4K use on the XD, the Enlightor-4K is the obvious solution, or for when you're needing to sit closer than perhaps 11'.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #1606 of 2790 Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm hoping someone can give me a little insight on the way the Seymour fixed frames are mounted? Reading through the documentation online it uses the hangman mounts (2 for larger widths) which is great but I'm curious how the bottom of the frame is secured? If at all? Up until now I've been used to Stewart mounting.

Tony

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #1607 of 2790 Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 AM

Mine just rests against a standoff I built (my whole screen hangs away from the wall about a foot so I can mount 3 LCR speakers behind it). You can see it in this picture (1e and 1f if link takes you to the gallery). The top two brackets mount the hangmans, and the frame rests against the bottom two mounts just to help keep the frame from moving (and the 3 shelves are for the speakers).

Good luck! Very pleased with my screen (2 years now).
post #1608 of 2790 Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM

The bottom is not secured.

In my setup, I have a 120" screen, so two upper brackets. The top lip of the fixed frame catches on the mounting bracket and just hangs there, so it was critical to get everything level, as well as making sure both brackets were at the same height. (I just used a long framing level and it worked fine.)

post #1609 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Have any of you experienced unexpected delays in the delivery of Enlightor screens lately? I've had a EN4k screen in order for 6 (nearly 7) weeks now. Really eager to make some progress in my HT.
post #1610 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toref View Post

Have any of you experienced unexpected delays in the delivery of Enlightor screens lately? I've had a EN4k screen in order for 6 (nearly 7) weeks now. Really eager to make some progress in my HT.

I had to wait a few weeks for mine but I wasn't in a hurry other than being excited.

Probably best to e-mail Chris and ask him when he expects to get it out. I don't think he stocks the material and probably orders big rolls at a time

post #1611 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks Larry. I've had some trouble getting updates from my local dealer and have become a bit worried. But it seems from your comment that it's just a matter of being patient. (Which is at the core of my problem - most likely. ) I left an e-mail using the the contact form on the SE web-site as I'm a European customer and the transaction goes directly to SE in the UK.
post #1612 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by toref View Post

We don't manufacture the Enlightor-4K screens for Norway. Have you contacted S-E in England? I'm not aware of any material shortages from our side.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #1613 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

FYI, for a couple months now we've been manufacturing the retractables with our new Gen5 motors. They're 35dB and will run a little faster because we also upgraded the rollers to handle larger sizes. Larger sizes are also now listed on the site, although the next limiting factor is our case size. The largest sizes with significant drops won't fit in the case. We can still do caseless, however.

We also have masking retractables now, with Millibel AT panels that drop either on the sides (scope to 1.78) or a continuous one across the top (1.78 to scope). The case doubles in depth and becomes ceiling-only mounting, with two motor outputs. We have dual independent motor controllers also available. Later we'll work on something that can be retrofitted to existing retractables, but if you're in the market for a slick motorized masking retractable from scratch, they're a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #1614 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't know how much longer I can delay ordering my screen. I really need to get one in here in order to work things out with the rest of my setup. The problem is that I'm afraid the freight cost is going to put me over budget for a screen. I sent a request through the website to see if they can quote freight for me. My other option is to go the DIY route which would save me a lot of money but with the width screen I want I just don't think I want to chance making a frame of anything other than the extruded aluminum OEM frame. I don't want sagging or center supports. We shall see.

post #1615 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

We don't manufacture the Enlightor-4K screens for Norway. Have you contacted S-E in England? I'm not aware of any material shortages from our side.

Cheers,
Chris

Yeah, I've contacted SE in the UK today. Let's see what happens.

Regards, Tor
post #1616 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I don't know how much longer I can delay ordering my screen. I really need to get one in here in order to work things out with the rest of my setup. The problem is that I'm afraid the freight cost is going to put me over budget for a screen. I sent a request through the website to see if they can quote freight for me. My other option is to go the DIY route which would save me a lot of money but with the width screen I want I just don't think I want to chance making a frame of anything other than the extruded aluminum OEM frame. I don't want sagging or center supports. We shall see.

Or you could just do the EN4K, it has free shipping

post #1617 of 2790 Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hello All,

Just finished my theatre room about 6 months ago and have already decided to upgrade from my 142" Black Diamond 2.4.1. I am looking at a 184" AT Screen good for 4k and I notice more talk over here than in the SmX thread, are they comparable price and quality wise?

John

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #1618 of 2790 Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

Hello All,

Just finished my theatre room about 6 months ago and have already decided to upgrade from my 142" Black Diamond 2.4.1. I am looking at a 184" AT Screen good for 4k and I notice more talk over here than in the SmX thread, are they comparable price and quality wise?

John

Customer service alone is the reason to go with Chris. Materials are probably comparable but good luck getting a sample from SMX to compare. Chris will have you samples in a couple of days.

post #1619 of 2790 Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

hello all,

just finished my theatre room about 6 months ago and have already decided to upgrade from my 142" black diamond 2.4.1. I am looking at a 184" at screen good for 4k and i notice more talk over here than in the smx thread, are they comparable price and quality wise?

John

Comparable, yes! As others have stated... best customer service and response around, period!
post #1620 of 2790 Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Chris,

Is the EN2 material on the Seymour/Screen Excellence web site the same as the XD material?

Besides the mounting technique (O-rings and grommets vs groove tensioning) can you tell me or show me the difference between the EN4K frame and the frame that comes with the XD screens?

Can I order either screen from you or do I need to work through a dealer for the EN4K screen?

Do you have a showroom or the screens on display in your plant in Ames?

Can you PM me pricing for both screens H120 and F160 in the EN4K material?
Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

User Tag List
chriscmore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page