12Likes

post #2671 of 2720 Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Staple or grommet

Hello All,
Everything is almost done. Panasonic 8000ae mounted, Axiom speakers up, equipment rack built and got a great deal on the Pioneer SC 1523K. First theater so image looks great on the wall. I built the screen frame to accommodate a 140" 2.35 image. First row at 14 feet second at 19 feet.

Question: can save a little cash stapling to the frame vs grommets anyone have any experience with stapling or wish they used grommets instead.

Getting samples sent this week to decide between XD or UF.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2720 Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 44
At 14 ft and 140 inches...I'd really recommend the XD. The extra gain will be appreciated.
post #2673 of 2720 Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm definitely leaning towards the XD and for the money will probably get it with the grommets. Since I really don't have any past home theater experience to draw from I think the extra gain of the XD will look better to me vs the possible better black levels realized by using the UF with the Panasonic 8000ae.

post #2674 of 2720 Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 121
For me, I will will always choose a bright, punchy picture over a dull one with great black levels. I have an XD screen with a projector that has only fair black levels and it still looks great to me. Your Panasonic will be better in terms of black levels. On a screen that large you will definitely appreciate the XD. Get the grommets and save yourself a world of headache. My 0.02

post #2675 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Toid View Post
Alright, one more question. I notice that Seymour now offer a curved frame. I will be ordering a 16x9 screen and using it only with the benq w1070 projector. I will not be using any other lenses on it. With this in mind, is the curved screen actually better for all applications? Or is this just for people with anamorphic lenses? I really want to do it right. I know the XD material is the way to go for sure! I am a little confused on if the curved screen will distort a normal picture or is the preferred way to go. Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
There still seems to be much debate (in other threads) about how visible the weave on the XD is compared to say the Falcon. Those of you that own an XD or have seen both, what do you think about a 130" wide 2.35 screen at 12.5' viewing distance? Any issue with seeing the weave? I'm afraid the new UH or the Enlightor would hurt too much with the .8 gain.

So, that leaves me between the Falcon and XD, and from what I've read, the XD probably has a bit more gain and possibly a more neutral color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
The XD and the Falcon test very similar in gain - essentially no difference.
The XD tests more color accurate. (Looking at two samples side by side I can't see the difference but I'm not very sensitive to color shift.)
The XD is less restrictive to high frequency sounds (measured).
The Falcon has slightly less visible weave close up, but at 12.5 feet viewing distance they would appear equally smooth.
I have actually compared the XD vs Falcon vs EN4K.

You can see the comparisons here:

Centerstage XD vs Falcon vs Screen Excellence EN4K

In summary:

- XD is a bit brighter than the Falcon (I'll guess about 10%). For most scenes, you might not be able to notice it, but on brighter scenes, you can clearly see the brightness (click on the link above to view the photos).

- XD's weave is not visible at 12 feet. In fact, it disappears at 9-10 feet but you might still 'feel' something's there. So, if you're sitting 12 feet from the screen, XD is the way to go.
post #2676 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Toid View Post
Alright, one more question. I notice that Seymour now offer a curved frame. I will be ordering a 16x9 screen and using it only with the benq w1070 projector. I will not be using any other lenses on it. With this in mind, is the curved screen actually better for all applications? Or is this just for people with anamorphic lenses? I really want to do it right. I know the XD material is the way to go for sure! I am a little confused on if the curved screen will distort a normal picture or is the preferred way to go. Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
You usually only use a curved screen with an anamorphic lens to counter the pincushion when the lens is in place for 2.35 presentations. With a 16:9 screen and no lens, there's no need for a curved screen unless you like the look of the screen compared to a flat one. With a curved screen you will have to overscan the image a little to hide the barrel distortion.

Sometimes the curve can be useful for countering reflections onto light coloured walls, but I've never meaured or seen any measures that say how good that is in comparison.

Gary
I actually bought the curved 16:9 screen. I haven't installed it yet.

However, a few days back i was at an AV show and there were several 16:9 screens that are a bit curved and they weren't using an anamorphic lens. It looks great. Gives you an IMAX feel.
post #2677 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I purchased the XD AT screen and got it setup the other night. I made my own frame from T slot aluminum, and purchased the screen with the grommets... It was a breeze to attach the material to the screen by my self. I am very pleased with the picture and I can not see any problems at all with the screen. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a excellent screen!

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #2678 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I actually bought the curved 16:9 screen. I haven't installed it yet.

However, a few days back i was at an AV show and there were several 16:9 screens that are a bit curved and they weren't using an anamorphic lens. It looks great. Gives you an IMAX feel.
That is awesome! I'd love to hear how it comes out. Pictures would be great as well!
post #2679 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Measurements suggest Falcon is less acoustically transparent than the XD material.

http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf

Quote:
I have actually compared the XD vs Falcon vs EN4K.

You can see the comparisons here:

In summary:

- XD is a bit brighter than the Falcon (I'll guess about 10%). For most scenes, you might not be able to notice it, but on brighter scenes, you can clearly see the brightness (click on the link above to view the photos).

- XD's weave is not visible at 12 feet. In fact, it disappears at 9-10 feet but you might still 'feel' something's there. So, if you're sitting 12 feet from the screen, XD is the way to go.
post #2680 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Measurements suggest Falcon is less acoustically transparent than the XD material.

I have referenced this report but have been hesitant to post the link. The measured specs (gain & sound attenuation) are invaluable, but I don't agree with some of the more subjective conclusions regarding weave and color shift visibility.
A direct comparison of samples in addition to a review of the test results will determine the best screen for a particular installation.

post #2681 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I have referenced this report but have been hesitant to post the link. The measured specs (gain & sound attenuation) are invaluable, but I don't agree with some of the more subjective conclusions regarding weave and color shift visibility.
A direct comparison of samples in addition to a review of the test results will determine the best screen for a particular installation.
Agreed. Samples and real world tests are very important.

The measurements in the accucal report are great in that they are all done to the same standards, so you can easily compare relative performance in terms of gain, acoustic properties, and color shift.

The subjective summaries are... just that, subjective. They are the opinions of someone who has seen hundreds of theaters and measures and calibrates for a profession. So while not unassailable, and one should definitely get samples to see what's what and what matters to "you", they are a decent starting point.
post #2682 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It says forbidden link. How do i view the report?
post #2683 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Link is good. Must be something like a firewall or content filter on your end blocking it.
post #2684 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Link is working fine, but your ISP, employer, or filter software may not like a direct link to a PDF.

Also accessible via:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com
post #2685 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Link is working fine, but your ISP, employer, or filter software may not like a direct link to a PDF.

Also accessible via:

I can't access this site either. I am accessing it from my home computer so no firewall, etc... it's a server error:

-----------

403 - Forbidden Error
You are not allowed to access this address.
If the error persists, please contact the website webmaster.
If you are the webmaster of this site please log in to Cpanel and check the Error Logs. You will find the exact reason for this error there.

Common reasons for this error are:

Incorrect file/directory permissions: Below 644.
In order files to be read by the webserver, their permissions have to be equal or above 644. You can update file permissions with a FTP client or through cPanel's File Manager.

Restrictive Apache directives inside .htaccess file.
There are two Apache directives which can cause this error - 'Deny from' and 'Options -Indexes'.
post #2686 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also accessible via:

Is it possible for you to PM me a copy of the pdf?
post #2687 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is it possible for you to PM me a copy of the pdf?
It's definitely on your end, because I can hit the site fine. If you PM me your email, I will download it and email it to you. It doesn't look like you can attach an attachment to a PM.
post #2688 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind... i used a proxy and it works. Basically i think they banned some countries from accessing their website which is strange and a little bit crazy...

Looks like XD was rated best in class.

I am not sure how accurate the 'gain' is... according to the report, the XD is .94 and the falcon is 1.0 on axis. In my own viewing experience, it looks like the XD is brighter than the falcon by about 10% in bright scenes. Take a look at the pictures I posted in this link:

Last edited by coolgeek; 07-10-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #2689 of 2720 Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nevermind... i used a proxy and it works. Basically i think they banned some countries from accessing their website which is strange and a little bit crazy...

Looks like XD was rated best in class.
Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil at times, as a means to try and stop hacking attempts on a server. If a site primarily has US visitors, for instance, they sometimes block IP blocks for much of Europe and Asia and other hotbeds of hack attempts.
post #2690 of 2720 Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
can anyone comment on the advantage of the premier vs precision frame? is the premier worth the extra $400
post #2691 of 2720 Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's nicer but whether it's worth $400 to you, well, what else might you spend the $400 on?

If your choice is go smaller and get a nicer frame or go larger with the cheaper frame -- within reason -- I'd say it's not THAT nice. Go large.

If your choice is upgrade your DVD player to a Blu-ray player OR get the nicer frame and watch only DVD's, upgrade to a blu-ray player and get the cheaper frame!

If your choice is, go out to a nice dinner this week with the wife, or get the nicer frame and skip this week's night out, well, maybe getting the nicer frame is not a big sacrifice, so you might as well live it up. It is a little nicer.
post #2692 of 2720 Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post
can anyone comment on the advantage of the premier vs precision frame? is the premier worth the extra $400
The Premier frame has heavy duty strength and is only 4 pieces. My upstairs neighbor has a Premier frame. It is a beautiful beast of a frame.

The Precision frame is thinner and is six pieces. The precision frame can be shipped in a much smaller box. Never saw one personally, but Seymour makes quality frames.

I can tell you without hesitation that the Premier frame is definitely worth its cost. However, 400 dollars more is 400 dollars less in your pocket. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you.
post #2693 of 2720 Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 38
To split the difference, we also do the Precision frame in continuous top/bottom build. The additional cost is for the freight-length box, but it can still be perfect for some.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #2694 of 2720 Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks, looks like xd with premier would be the way to go.
post #2695 of 2720 Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Hi All,

Does anyone have any pictures of a large, curved Seymour 2:35/2:37/2:40 screen? I'll be ordering a 144" wide screen soon, and my choices are Falcon or Seymour. I'm leaning very closely to ordering a curved configuration, which would rule out Falcon, but I'm not sure how to implement a curved screen on a flat wall. I'm thinking about building the screen wall to continue the curve from the edge of the screen to the side wall, so the wall and screen conform to the same curve angle. But, I'd really like to see some curved screens in use. If anybody can point me in the direction of some pictures, I'd be greatly appreciative!
post #2696 of 2720 Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone have any pictures of a large, curved Seymour 2:35/2:37/2:40 screen? I'll be ordering a 144" wide screen soon, and my choices are Falcon or Seymour. I'm leaning very closely to ordering a curved configuration, which would rule out Falcon, but I'm not sure how to implement a curved screen on a flat wall. I'm thinking about building the screen wall to continue the curve from the edge of the screen to the side wall, so the wall and screen conform to the same curve angle. But, I'd really like to see some curved screens in use. If anybody can point me in the direction of some pictures, I'd be greatly appreciative!
My vote: Curved...

And if height is not a problem then get a 144 inch 16:9.. that way, when you're watching 2:35, you still get your whole length, but when watching 16:9 like avatar, then you'll truly be like having an Imax screen.
post #2697 of 2720 Old 07-18-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hi All,

The curved screens are designed to mount to a flat wall using a top adapter bracket and two bottom L-brackets for adjustability. The top bracket was recently redesigned so it's one piece of formed steel, 60" wide with bolt slots and hanging cleats.

If you want to mount it to a curved wall, then it would simply use the standard Hangman brackets which can take that radius just fine. Or, if you want to ensure that curvature X meets curvature Y perfectly, we can put threaded inserts every foot or so, so that you can simply bolt it to the curved wall. This can be done with invisible flat brackets or visible L-brackets.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #2698 of 2720 Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I purchase an XD center stage screen 2 years ago. It's still in the box, hoping to finish the carpet and walls so I can setup the screen. Its a 2:37 C130 (curved) I cant find the dimensions anymore for actual height and width. I'll be using my Panasonic AE 8000 projector (still in the box too) Do I need to purchase anything else? Ie, anamorphic lens or mounting equipment for the screen? I was going to build a frame to mount the screen on.
post #2699 of 2720 Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
To split the difference, we also do the Precision frame in continuous top/bottom build. The additional cost is for the freight-length box, but it can still be perfect for some.

Cheers,
Chris
Hey Chris, not sure when the change was made but I just noticed the new Precision frame which I believe was called the Economy frame before. I'm anxious to see the new photos with the velvet on the frame. I'm also curious if going with this more light absorbing material on the frame has eliminated the need for that small black border at the edges of the white screen material. I assume that only appears on the Precision screens and not the Premier. Maybe it was there to avoid reflection from that shiny black frame? The reason I ask is that the thin black strip there kind of bothers me and if it will be eliminated with the use of velvet over the frame now then the Precision/Economy screen looks more attractive to me than ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (27.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by dropzone7; 07-22-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: picture
post #2700 of 2720 Old 07-22-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
I purchase an XD center stage screen 2 years ago. It's still in the box, hoping to finish the carpet and walls so I can setup the screen. Its a 2:37 C130 (curved) I cant find the dimensions anymore for actual height and width. I'll be using my Panasonic AE 8000 projector (still in the box too) Do I need to purchase anything else? Ie, anamorphic lens or mounting equipment for the screen? I was going to build a frame to mount the screen on.
Everything you need should be in the box. If not, let me know and we'll send it. The C130 image is 130" x 54.8". The frame is 136.7"w x 61.5"h x 1.6"-6.9"d.

As for a lens, you can choose to use the excellent lens memory settings in the Panny or if you have the $$, a lens would be a nice accessory. AVS can consult with you on the lens stuff: focal length, recommended throw distance, pincushion (which of course the curved screen eliminates).

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

User Tag List
chriscmore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page