post #2701 of 2790 Old 07-22-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Hey Chris, not sure when the change was made but I just noticed the new Precision frame which I believe was called the Economy frame before. I'm anxious to see the new photos with the velvet on the frame. I'm also curious if going with this more light absorbing material on the frame has eliminated the need for that small black border at the edges of the white screen material. I assume that only appears on the Precision screens and not the Premier. Maybe it was there to avoid reflection from that shiny black frame? The reason I ask is that the thin black strip there kind of bothers me and if it will be eliminated with the use of velvet over the frame now then the Precision/Economy screen looks more attractive to me than ever.
That thin strip was velvet, so essentially the whole frame is velvety goodness now. It essentially looks like the top picture of the Premier frame, as its logo badge is shrunk. I do need new pictures however. Got CEDIA stuff biting my ankles currently.

Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2790 Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
The curved screens are designed to mount to a flat wall using a top adapter bracket and two bottom L-brackets for adjustability. The top bracket was recently redesigned so it's one piece of formed steel, 60" wide with bolt slots and hanging cleats.

If you want to mount it to a curved wall, then it would simply use the standard Hangman brackets which can take that radius just fine. Or, if you want to ensure that curvature X meets curvature Y perfectly, we can put threaded inserts every foot or so, so that you can simply bolt it to the curved wall. This can be done with invisible flat brackets or visible L-brackets.

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks for this info! I'll probably go with the standard top bracket and build the screen wall from either end of the screen itself. Any possibility of motorized masking for the curved XD screen? Or is that reserved for Enlightor 4K?
post #2703 of 2790 Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Thanks for this info! I'll probably go with the standard top bracket and build the screen wall from either end of the screen itself. Any possibility of motorized masking for the curved XD screen? Or is that reserved for Enlightor 4K?
I can't foresee taking the Seymour AV line up that much. I enjoy the line being priced where average Joes like me can shop.

You could add curtain tracks up above the screen for that cinema look, and masking function to boot.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #2704 of 2790 Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Fellow owners: I've got the EN4K screen in the 2.37:1 configuration... and I'm finally ready for some simple clean masking when watching 16:9 stuff.

Curious to hear what others have done who have the same kind of frames.

The wife finds curtains to be too chintzy but I'll bet that has more to do with my handyman skills in past attempts.... so I'm not ruling anything out.

What are ya'all doing?

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2705 of 2790 Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Fellow owners: I've got the EN4K screen in the 2.37:1 configuration... and I'm finally ready for some simple clean masking when watching 16:9 stuff.

Curious to hear what others have done who have the same kind of frames.

The wife finds curtains to be too chintzy but I'll bet that has more to do with my handyman skills in past attempts.... so I'm not ruling anything out.

What are ya'all doing?

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2706 of 2790 Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well, I used a cheap and simple corded curtain track and my other half made me some black velvet curtains that had a wooden dowel down the leading edge so that it had a nice and clean edge. Worked well and the track only cost me around $20 back then. The velvet would probably be a bit more depending on how much you needed. I only made enough to go to 16:9 so didn't need a great deal.

Some people use removable panels that are held on by magnets, friction fit or a hanger system that is part of the frame. There are many ways to do it depending on what suits you better. If you've AT screen then you need to take into account that the masking might need to be AT as well if it will cover the speakers.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2707 of 2790 Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the ideas.

Yep, EN4k is acoustically transparent.

I have some black velvet curtains, but cannot use them (in part the WAF, but even more important to me: acoustically blocking the Left and Right speakers!).

I have some speaker grill cloth. I think that would be acceptable (best case) acoustically. I also have the left over black backing material that Seymour includes with the EN4K. I could canibalize that, too.

Magnets sound interesting. And possibly like I could hide the panels until the lights are dimmed, making their "room lights are up so the room has to look nice" impact very minimal....

Build Thread:
post #2708 of 2790 Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Some velvets pass the 'blow test' for checking for AT potential, so don't rule them out. Speaker grill cloth works well because the image isn't projected onto it and your attention is usually on the screen which is brighter so more visible. It just might look a bit different to any surrounding velvet like that on the frame, if thats going to be an issue.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2709 of 2790 Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Yes, the blow test is good enough for, say, acoustic panels. But for speakers, I find grill cloth to be what I need. It will be black enough, too

Now I am just need to get smart and clean about how to make it useable.
ellisr63 likes this.

Build Thread:
post #2710 of 2790 Old 08-07-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 245
What would you use for masking a AT screen... Stretch velvet?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #2711 of 2790 Old 08-08-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
What would you use for masking a AT screen... Stretch velvet?
Black speaker grill cloth would be better. Less interference with sound.
ellisr63 likes this.

Build Thread:
post #2712 of 2790 Old 08-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 80
All this talk of black AT material has me rethinking my plans for new acoustic treatments and their size.
post #2713 of 2790 Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone seen the difference between the velvets of the premier and precision frames? The website states the precision uses Baritone velvet. I'm not sure how that looks while in use in a darkened home theater while compared to the Fidelio velvet.

The reason I ask is that I currently have a premier frame and am considering a larger screen but going with the precision. I'm also curious if the seam in the horizontal run on the precision is noticeable/distracting. If anyone has pics of the precision screen I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

post #2714 of 2790 Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Congrats to Andrew's Home Theater of the Month. He built the speakers himself too: HT of the Month: Humble Hangout

Cheers,
Chris
ellisr63, Craig Peer and Frohlich like this.

Seymour AV
post #2715 of 2790 Old 08-12-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Has anyone seen the difference between the velvets of the premier and precision frames? The website states the precision uses Baritone velvet. I'm not sure how that looks while in use in a darkened home theater while compared to the Fidelio velvet.

The reason I ask is that I currently have a premier frame and am considering a larger screen but going with the precision. I'm also curious if the seam in the horizontal run on the precision is noticeable/distracting. If anyone has pics of the precision screen I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
You can't tell the difference unless they're next to each other and you can feel the slightly denser Fidelio pile. The reflectivity difference of 99.7% vs 99.5% isn't much; I don't think I could simply look at a screen and tell which material is which, but if you swapped them and focused on the difference perhaps. Jon can send you a sample to compare if you want.

Also keep in mind the Precision frame can be had unspliced if you're up for a little freight cost.

Cheers,
Chris
ellisr63 likes this.

Seymour AV
post #2716 of 2790 Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
You can't tell the difference unless they're next to each other and you can feel the slightly denser Fidelio pile. The reflectivity difference of 99.7% vs 99.5% isn't much; I don't think I could simply look at a screen and tell which material is which, but if you swapped them and focused on the difference perhaps. Jon can send you a sample to compare if you want.

Also keep in mind the Precision frame can be had unspliced if you're up for a little freight cost.

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks for the response, and yes I would like a sample of the precision velvet. PM'd

post #2717 of 2790 Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 314
For a purpose I can't yet disclose, I'm looking for a rear-projection screen material that will show an image from any light-source projected from behind without reflecting light from the main screen. So the side of the material that faces the inside of the theater can' t be reflective (or, no more reflective than wood is), but the rear should function as a rear-projection screen, allowing any lit image to show through. Has anyone heard of Seymour doing custom projects like this? This is for another component of the theater besides the main screen.
post #2718 of 2790 Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Hey Chris, not sure when the change was made but I just noticed the new Precision frame which I believe was called the Economy frame before. I'm anxious to see the new photos with the velvet on the frame. I'm also curious if going with this more light absorbing material on the frame has eliminated the need for that small black border at the edges of the white screen material. I assume that only appears on the Precision screens and not the Premier. Maybe it was there to avoid reflection from that shiny black frame? The reason I ask is that the thin black strip there kind of bothers me and if it will be eliminated with the use of velvet over the frame now then the Precision/Economy screen looks more attractive to me than ever.
I updated the Precision frame pictures so that you can see it's all-velvety goodness now.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #2719 of 2790 Old 08-29-2014, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I just hung my Curved 150" screen last night. First impressions are WOW what a great screen. The Precision frame is the best, easy to put together, the corners match up perfectly and the velvet is as black and rich as anything I have ever seen. The XD screen itself looks great, I don't have the sound system hooked up yet so I can't comment on how well it passes the sound.

Buying this screen was one of the best choices I made in building my HT, worth every penny I paid for it.

As a note to the masking topic, I used the best black speaker cloth Parts Express sells to cover my screen wall. All I can say is that it looks gray compared to the velvet on the screen frame. I don't think you would be happy with the look if you used this for masking panels.
chriscmore likes this.
post #2720 of 2790 Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post
I don't think you would be happy with the look if you used this for masking panels.
Picture please.

I've been considering many different products to finish up my screen surround/masking. I'd be curious to see the dark grey vs black.

2015 it is.
post #2721 of 2790 Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Seymour Retractable CenterStage XD 16x9 screen. I have a switch hard wired to the control box (as shown below:) - to let down/pull up the screen to the correct height. I'd like the option of having the screen come down part way (for 2.35 AR viewing). How do I do that (other than buying the R2D7 Serial Switch ). I'm fine with a physical switch (but I also have a harmony remote if that helps do it on the cheap).

thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeymourAV Control Box.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	235889  
post #2722 of 2790 Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you don't want to do an intermediate stop via RS-232 through the R2D7 module, then I'd recommend timed macros. Simply make a macro for fully retracted to the intermediate stop by timing a stop command, say 5.2 seconds after the screen down command is issued. Of course adjust to reality and you could make another macro for retracting from fully down up to the intermediate stop:

Down to scope
* Screen down
* Delay x.x seconds
* Screen stop

Up to scope
* Screen up
* Delay x.x seconds
* Screen stop

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #2723 of 2790 Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you don't want to do an intermediate stop via RS-232 through the R2D7 module, then I'd recommend timed macros. Simply make a macro for fully retracted to the intermediate stop by timing a stop command, say 5.2 seconds after the screen down command is issued. Of course adjust to reality and you could make another macro for retracting from fully down up to the intermediate stop:

Down to scope
* Screen down
* Delay x.x seconds
* Screen stop

Up to scope
* Screen up
* Delay x.x seconds
* Screen stop

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks Chris. In addition to the controller that I have (pictured above) what do I need to buy to enable my Harmony to control the screen?
post #2724 of 2790 Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Thanks Chris. In addition to the controller that I have (pictured above) what do I need to buy to enable my Harmony to control the screen?
IR receiver eye, and either download the hex codes, go through the wizard (appliances/Electronic Solutions or ESI/RP60...) or get the IR remote from us which you can return when you're done with it.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
post #2725 of 2790 Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IR receiver eye, and either download the hex codes, go through the wizard (appliances/Electronic Solutions or ESI/RP60...) or get the IR remote from us which you can return when you're done with it.

Cheers,
Chris
thanks , will do.
post #2726 of 2790 Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Btw, probably worth mentioning in this thread, I found that a center stage XD swatch held over the edge border of the screen produces only a very slightly perceptible line, actually seems more like a bump, anyway, I'm ordering more material to produce a winglets to Velcro onto the end of my existing 16x9 screen to convert to 2.35AR when needed. not sure how it'll be with the full piece (and not just a swatch) and if it'll become annoying over time, but I figured it's cheap enough to give it a try and perhaps create a convertible AR AT screen!
post #2727 of 2790 Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
Picture please.

I've been considering many different products to finish up my screen surround/masking. I'd be curious to see the dark grey vs black.
brwsaw,

You can see in the picture the screen frame is much blacker then the speaker cloth from Parts Express.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0417.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	242082  
dropzone7 likes this.
post #2728 of 2790 Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Cheers,
Chris
Having the two sites confuses me a bit. I was looking on SeymourScreenExcllence site and then realized it wasn't on that site.

Builds: 
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
 x 5. 
post #2729 of 2790 Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cheers,
Chris
Chris - I know that you're busy with Cedia stuff - just wanted to know when you'll be available to cut/sew the screen "winglet" addition I'm ordering (see above).
thx
post #2730 of 2790 Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post
brwsaw,

You can see in the picture the screen frame is much blacker then the speaker cloth from Parts Express.
Yep, not too dark.
I'm torn between leaving well enough alone and trying to etch out that last bit of image quality (I hope to gain) if I mask the screen.
I think tonight I'm going settle and max out the screen size (150" ish) and play a few games.
Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

User Tag List
chriscmore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page