Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The two "new" projectors ain't too shabby either.

Check the date...
post #3 of 139 Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 AM

Umm, unless I'm missing something, the two "new" projectors are going to ship in June of 2007. Unless I pulled a Rip Van Winkle last night, I believe we are currently in May of 2007.

Sounds "new" enough to me.

Mike

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #4 of 139 Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

I guess I was missing something. I looked at the projector specs and the March 31st date, and presumed that this was an April Fools joke. But the link to Sony is quite real...
post #5 of 139 Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

no this is new stuff alright, VERY new even!
projectorreviews is reviewing one of these projectors right now and maybe he has a screen too so we can have a first real verdict from someone about these screens, I think they are going to be rather cheap so I hope that doesnt mean they are crap.
post #6 of 139 Old 05-11-2007, 12:14 PM

It isnt new, its the same as the so called ChromaVue but less expensiv. 2m diagonal should cost about 500 EUR. The new sony projectors VPL-AW10/15 seems to be optimized for this screens, but they said it would work with any other too.

Where can they be bought?

Greetz
post #7 of 139 Old 05-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Sounds like a cool screen. I hope someone comes up wiht a comparison review with Firehawk. I'm getting close to ordering one of them. Too bad Sony's is smaller than I'd like, or do they intend to do more sizes as well?
post #8 of 139 Old 05-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Is this screen shipping yet?
post #9 of 139 Old 05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 183
"Not with an alternative already available that works as good or better for easily 1/3 the price."

And I'll wager that its CR in a lit room is far less than 1/3 of the Sony, or any of the other so-called black screens.

Noah
post #10 of 139 Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Far less eh? Don't do Vegas with those odds working for you, Noah. The Sony Screen or ANY other screen will not deliver any more CR than the PJ can pump out, so your statement would have to leave you coming up short by "far" more than you would want to be stuck with.

Much the same was said about the ChromaView. It was all hype.... .
Even with the use of the HS-51, a PJ designed specifically for the CV, it was pretty much so horrible at what it presented, they couldn't sell 'em cheap enough to move 'em.

You'd expect Sony to have done better. But what did they do? Try to load the scales by making a small screen that needed Uber Lumens to offset their screen's tendency to crush whites and colors to oblivion.

Is the new version any better at doing the job? One would hope so, but I cannot say, and neither can you or anybody else at present. But that does not keep Sony from hyping the thing pre-distribution just as overtly as they did the ChromaView.

Visual examples however do abound on this Forum of the potential of the newest Muti-hued Screen paint formulas. And the "Real Life" testing is being done by many different individuals using many different PJs (...none "Optimized" BTW...) under many various viewing conditions. And those results? They DO compare with the "ADVERTISED" results seen with other Black Screens,(...and those Photo Ads are always suspect.. .) When one considers the lower lumen, lower CR PJs that can be used with them, and the drastically reduced cost of owning one, they do seem to effectively trounce the competition.

Yes....there are some who want to dismiss the whole thing as Snake Oil, but it's quite telling that everyone of those are people who have not, or will not even try it out for themselves, but prefer instead to trash the whole idea out of hand. That's a real shame....really.

Those applications were developed without Corporate assistance and with nothing more in mind than achieving outstanding and affordable performance in Ambient Light where once there was none to be had. And it came to be via AVS Forum members own efforts. It's something AVS'ers can look to with some degree of pride. It seems strange that you or any other AVS'er would find it necessary to belittle it without giving it as fair a shake as you would something from a major Mfg.

Why not try being more objective and less dismissive until you yourself have the knowledge to make such definitive statements? I for one do have experience comparing the two, so yes, I make statements to that effect, and some that unfortunately other people such as yourself react adversely to. But it seems that reaction stems from the belief that your fellow AVS'ers could not possible create anything comparable to a major MFg's efforts. Or perhaps that the potential is being overstated to mislead others, something that if it occurs in a Forum such as this, such blatant untruths would swiftly be found out.

Why this happens is very strange. In the course of your 12,000+ posts you've seen others create a great many "better" things on many of the different Forums. The exchange of ideas and info on these Forums lead many to want something better than they have been offered, so if there is a need, and it's being filled by AVS members for the benefit of other members, why not at least support the idea that such just might be able to happen, instead of just feeling obligated to dismiss the possibility out of hand?

If the Sony is up to snuff, it'll get it's due in due time. Meanwhile, theres other options available that are doing virtually the same thing.....for so much less it's crazy.

Go on....get a little crazy. You might find it refreshing. But at least keep your mind open to the potential.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #11 of 139 Old 05-22-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 183
"The Sony Screen or ANY other screen will not deliver any more CR than the PJ can pump out, so your statement would have to leave you coming up short by "far" more than you would want to be stuck with."

Of course not.

The issue is what the *on screen* CR ratio is, ambient light will easily reduce to double or single digits.

"Why not try being more objective and less dismissive until you yourself have the knowledge to make such definitive statements? "

I tried once many months ago and all I got was hot air, and gave up following the threads for any objective (that means measured) confirmation of the claims.

Noah
post #12 of 139 Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM

I think the price point for this screen has been set far less than what we have seen from these screens so far. The stone audio (UK website) has the screen for MSRP 350 british pounds which would equate to about $690 MSRP
post #13 of 139 Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM

hello

dont you think they just took the worst "normal" screen to show the difference? this projector should also work great with a normal screen should'nt it?

cheers

susu
post #14 of 139 Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 PM

I highly doubt you'll get 116" for 10 times $100:

post #15 of 139 Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat05 View Post

I think the price point for this screen has been set far less than what we have seen from these screens so far. The stone audio (UK website) has the screen for MSRP 350 british pounds which would equate to about $690 MSRP

Its the online site to buy this screen? Cant find any other...!
post #16 of 139 Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM

post #17 of 139 Old 08-26-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm pretty excited about this screen actually...mostly because it's at an actually affordable price point (I have a negative income these days as a medical student so I can't really spend too much money).

Can't wait to see some real reviews.
post #18 of 139 Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Just an FYI, the new Costco mailer shows a Sony projector and 80" dynaclear screen combo package, but when I checked online I don't see it yet.
post #19 of 139 Old 08-30-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, this darn screen finally shipped....

Friend of mine just got his 80" from sonystyle couple days ago after a long waiting list. I can't wait to check it out though he did't sound too excited about it.
post #20 of 139 Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 PM

any new news about this screen?
post #21 of 139 Old 09-05-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I saw it at Costco today. I can't believe how dark it is.

Can't wait for someone to buy one and review it.
post #22 of 139 Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Do you know if it was for sale by itself or only as part of the combo deal (with projector)?
post #23 of 139 Old 09-15-2007, 03:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
You can buy the screen separate from the projector.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #24 of 139 Old 09-15-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I...must...resist. Why couldn't they offer at least a 100" model!?

For only $399, I just might give this a go even if it is only 80".
post #25 of 139 Old 09-15-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

Wow, I...must...resist. Why couldn't they offer at least a 100" model!?

For only $399, I just might give this a go even if it is only 80".

Ok, I gave in. I just ordered this screen. Less than $450 with tax+shipping! I figure for this price, I can always just eBay it later if I want to upgrade to a larger size. I have quite a bit of ambient light during the daytime, I can't wait to give her a test drive!
post #26 of 139 Old 09-15-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

A few images:

post #27 of 139 Old 09-18-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, she arrived in the mail a few minutes ago. I don't have my RS1 yet, so I'll test her out with some good old fashioned reels of film.
post #28 of 139 Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 PM

ok - i bought one of these screens a couple of weeks back -- I brought it home and found it was a terrible pain to set-up. The screen may work as advertised but it is so thin and delicate that I was afraid that I would wreck it very very quickly --- FYI you have to try and slip on these "screen curl guides" along the two vertical edges after lifting up the screen -- I fiddled around for 20 minutes or so trying to get the guides right then decided this thing was not for me -- However, it might be ok if you intend to set it up once and forget about it ... but that really defeats its purpose -- sony should re-engineer this product by making the screen much thicker and getting rid of the screen curl guides -- what were they thinking ...
post #29 of 139 Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwar View Post

ok - i bought one of these screens a couple of weeks back -- I brought it home and found it was a terrible pain to set-up. The screen may work as advertised but it is so thin and delicate that I was afraid that I would wreck it very very quickly --- FYI you have to try and slip on these "screen curl guides" along the two vertical edges after lifting up the screen -- I fiddled around for 20 minutes or so trying to get the guides right then decided this thing was not for me -- However, it might be ok if you intend to set it up once and forget about it ... but that really defeats its purpose -- sony should re-engineer this product by making the screen much thicker and getting rid of the screen curl guides -- what were they thinking ...

I just watched a 16mm film in the living room with the shades open now (It's afternoon now). The results were better than my Silver Screen, and definitely an upgrade. Never seen a projected image look so good in the daytime.

The downside is the screen curl guides...
I didn't even take the time to install them for this test run. The screen is like very thin plastic, seems very easy to damage. Sony needs to manufacture a version that's tab tensioned and toss this "curl guide" idea.

I'm keeping the screen and it performs as promised, but I fear that I will eventually damage the screen when removing the screen curl guides one day.

For $400, you get what you pay for. I'm going to keep the screen and love it, but when another company makes a larger one with better build quality I'm throwing this Sony Dynaclear on eBay.
post #30 of 139 Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Not sure where those images came from, but it appears that the use of a large surrounding Black Out Boarder is in play on the left side imagery examples. Most don't utilize 12' wide

ResOGlas, your RS-1 is going to tip the scale way in favor of end results from the Screen that do not represent "real world results" as far as perceived contrast enhancement beyond the JVC's stated 15,000:1 CR One thing that does work in your favor is the screen size as related to Lumen output. I've used that PJ with CR enhancing Paint schemes, but nothing along the order of the hue the Sony presents. That the screen is still being recommended for PJs with over 1000 lumens sez much. But the JVC is a over-performer lumen wise...least wise for the fist few hundred hours.

But as stated previously, if you can place the PJ close as possible, with it's available output it should in the least deliver you a degree of ambient light performance you might not otherwise expect, and of course the CR specs of the JVC will make whatever level of CR performance the screen does deliver be as good as it possibly can produce.

Let's just hope your Whites and Colors don't suffer too much "crush".

When you do take some screen shots, can you please do so from a respectable distance, showing the wall beside the screen and the degree of ambient light present. Then keeping the camera at the same location, zoom inward to just barely frame the screen w/trim.

Shots taken without at least a "Boarder Reference" are not very telling. Use "Auto"...a Tripod or steady surface....and use your Timer so you don't get a "jiggle" when depressing the shutter.

Many AVS Members will want to see a GOOD example of what this screen can do, so what is shown and how it is shown is very important as far as providing "Real world" examples. Your 16 mm PJ most likely isn't the best reference to use, but at least it's something. In any case, the Sony should of course trump any Silver Screen surface in the "Ambient Light performance" department. What kind of "Silver Screen" are you referring to?

Thanks...and here's hoping your happy with the results!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply Screens

Tags
Sony , Projection Screens