microperf problems??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-15-2001, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am working on putting the final touches on my HT in the next two months and I have a question regarding the use of a stewart greyhawk microperf screen. The set up is a JVC G11 on the greyhawk 123" diagonal screen, with the L,C,R's cabinet mounted behind the top of the screen.

My question is, since the screen is perforated, will light pass through the screen and onto the varnished cabinets 10" behind the screen. Will the light then reflect off the cabinets and back on to the screen or into the room? Would this cause the picture to wash out? I have spoken with Stewart and they state that it should be black behind the screen. I do not have this option. Could I perforate only part of the screen for the sound to transmit through if light is a problem? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks as always!

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-16-2001, 03:49 AM
jkv
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ciroman
I am working on putting the final touches on my HT in the next two months and I have a question regarding the use of a stewart greyhawk microperf screen. The set up is a JVC G11 on the greyhawk 123" diagonal screen, with the L,C,R's cabinet mounted behind the top of the screen.

My question is, since the screen is perforated, will light pass through the screen and onto the varnished cabinets 10" behind the screen.
yes

Quote:
Will the light then reflect off the cabinets and back on to the screen or into the room?
yes

Quote:
Would this cause the picture to wash out?
I believe it would, but my understanding is that it wont be that bad; think of it like this, the light from the projector is coming toward the screen at an angle (down) and when the light is reflected back, most of it would hit the back of the screen.

Quote:
I have spoken with Stewart and they state that it should be black behind the screen. I do not have this option.
that is what I did and it is fine

Quote:
Could I perforate only part of the screen for the sound to transmit through if light is a problem? Any thoughts or suggestions?
you could do this, but I have read that now you have a screen that will reflect light differently in two areas and this might cause some viewing problems.

Are you planning on having this screen retract when not in use? If not, why are you worried about painting the area behind the screen? If it does retract, could you hang a black sheet behind the screen prior to lowering it?

Riverside Cinemas
post #3 of 5 Old 10-16-2001, 10:18 AM

You could perf only the black drop above the image area of the screen if your speakers are located in this area. You can specify as much black drop as you need. If you can do this you do not need to worry about light reflected back through the perfs.

Do not perf parts of the image area...perf all of the image area or none of it.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2001, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Randmac is absolutely correct. You never want to perf part of the viewable screen since adding the microperf will drop the light output about 10%. You would notice a difference in uniformity across the screem. Keep in mind also that Stewart includes a high frequency "booster" with any microperf screen. This device is designed to help out with the slight loss in higher frequencies when the speakers are put behind the screen. I mention this because only 1 is included, and you were planning to put all 3 front speakers behind the screen. Additional "boosters" can be ordered if needed.

Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2001, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a way toi combat this problem. Just take a piece of black cloth that does not have a "tight" weave and place it in fron of the speakers.

I use a king size black bed sheet that can be found at JC Penny.

It will lower the treble a bit but you can use a graphic equilzer to bring it back to "normal."

Lee
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page