Speakers behind the screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-18-2001, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How many of you place your speakers behind the screen?

If you do put them behind the screen, what material is your screen and have you noticed a sonic difference between the center and FR or FL?

Light travels faster than sound. This explains why some people appear
bright, until you hear them speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-19-2001, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just my opinion but I would NEVER block my speakers with my screen. Sound is just as important as the picture to me.

Besides, my B&W's look too good. ;)

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #3 of 11 Old 10-19-2001, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
In my theater design, three Citation 7.1 speakers behind a perforated Grayhawk (three subs, too).

Beginning construction, too.

Hey, its home theater, speakers behind the screen!

Jeff

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #4 of 11 Old 10-20-2001, 11:30 PM

Check out this thread for some "speakers behind the screen" conversation:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=86834
post #5 of 11 Old 10-21-2001, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Good Thread.

Obviously, I am going with a Stewart screen.

Additionally the ripples may have been from big drivers on a lesser quality Draper screen. Though not a problem with a stewart microperf, my subs will be below the screen.

Additionally, a fixed, mounted screen would be less apt to ripple over a hanging screen.

JEff

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-2001, 04:49 AM
jkv
Advanced Member

I have a Stewart MicroPerf screen and I placed my center behind it. The front speakers are out in the room; I made sure that the center speaker is aligned with the tweeters of the front speakers. I don't have any problem with the sound from my center.

Riverside Cinemas
post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-2001, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply guys.

I was asking about it because Stewart sells an equalizer with their microperf screens, implying that the effect of having a speaker behind the screen has a noticeable detrimental effect on the sound. I don't doubt that some frequencies are altered by the screen. However, I'm not sure I'd notice the effect.

I wanted to know if you had speakers behind the screen and definately noticed the effect because I honestly am not willing to pay as much as I am imagining a stewart microperf with equalizer will cost, yet I want to put the front three speakers behind the screen for asthetic reasons. I would not put a subwoofer behind the screen for a couple of reasons, 1) the low frequency is not really directionally noticeable, and 2) the screen would likely move. Two way speakers I would put behind the screen.

Thanks again for your replies! :)

post #8 of 11 Old 10-22-2001, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

If you want to find out how it sounds, just grab a sample of the material (various people make them, DaLite, Vutec, Draper, Stewart) and drape it over your tweater. The high frequencies are affected most, so this should be a decently accurate simulation.

Stewart's Microperf is really the high, high end of perforated screens. It's the only one with THX certification (it had better be certified, because THX helped develop it) and the associated licensing fee. I believe it is also the only one that comes with an EQ (as part of the certification). Obviously it all kind of adds to the cost.

With EQ, most people should not notice any difference in the sound. There may be some highly attuned audiophiles that could tell the difference, but that's not really my province. You may be able to get them to send you an EQ and a sample to do a test, Stewart's usually pretty good about stuff like that. Talk to your dealer.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #9 of 11 Old 10-23-2001, 05:46 AM
jkv
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KFung

With EQ, most people should not notice any difference in the sound. There may be some highly attuned audiophiles that could tell the difference, but that's not really my province. You may be able to get them to send you an EQ and a sample to do a test, Stewart's usually pretty good about stuff like that. Talk to your dealer.
The EQ that came with my screen is still sitting in the box and to be honest I never even tried it. My setup sounds great and I'm not sure if I could tell the difference (my wife keeps telling me I never hear her anymore so maybe I have a different problem :) )

Riverside Cinemas
post #10 of 11 Old 10-23-2001, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jkv

The EQ that came with my screen is still sitting in the box and to be honest I never even tried it. My setup sounds great and I'm not sure if I could tell the difference (my wife keeps telling me I never hear her anymore so maybe I have a different problem :) )
....and more serious! ;)

post #11 of 11 Old 10-23-2001, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bought the raw material and made my own frame. Total cost was about $200. There is an M&K S-150 center channel behind the screen and I have to admit that the sound degradation is not really noticable. While the quality does not seem affected, the volume does, so I calibrated the center channel to be a little louder. This is true of movies but I suspect if I were listening to music through my center channel, I may notice diminished treble. The thing is, I don't listen to music through my center channel so I really don't care.

Looked at and still really want a Stewart microperf but man, they are expensive. Really the only reason I want to change is for the gain increase I would have by moving to a Videomatte 200 with perfs. The Da-Lite is .85 - 1.0 so it is a much dimmer picture with a Sony CRT.

I love having the center channel behind the screen, it really localizes dialog.
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page