Dark contrast and screen choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-20-2001, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a LT 150 and am using blackout screen hung on the wall. Its overall pretty impressive, But...
The one weakness of the system is dark contrast. In other words, when the scene is dark everything becomes homogeneously dark. No definition of small differences in darkness, which I know are there.

I have improved the problem somewhat by changing the settings on my ATI settings applet (increased overlay brightness).

I am wondering if the purchase of a good quality screen would help. Intuitively I would think that a higher gain screen would be best. But I came accross a thread where someone mentioned that a grey screen improved shadow detail.

So the QUESTION IS: What screen parameter is most important(if any) in increasing shadow detail?

Appreciate any help.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-21-2001, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think you problem is the screen but your PJ inabelity of reproduce shodows details. I previous owned a DLP and found out the hard way the downfalts of DLPs and LCDs projectors and after severals purcheses I foud one that has a little bit more shadows details a (LCD from Mits) witch I use with a high contrast screen fro Dalite, this one doesnt have the same shadows datails as a CRT but is 3000 lummens more powerfull and 280 lbs lighter.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-08-2001, 10:43 PM

I seemed to have noticed this myself, concerning DLP's....Don't get me wrong, they have a great pic, if you don't see rainbows, but I noticed that things are either really dark or really light....Hope this doesn't burst your bubble, but that is my opinion....My Sony vw10ht seems to have a better time doing this, although detail is lost below 20 ire, do to the lack of black.....Only downside of this projector! Good luck

You might want to try Da-Lite's "high contrast" material....it's grey, and supposed to give you the appearance of slightly better contrast....will this solve your problem? I don't know

Later!

Terrence
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page