My Acoustically Trasparent Screen Material Database - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2001, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm assembling a database of info on acoustically trasparent screeen material from Draper, Vutec, Da-Lite and Stewart. So far I have gotten data (optic and acoustic) from Draper and Da-Lite and a material sample from Draper with Da-Lite's sample being in the mail. I'll have high res (1200dpi) scans of the material asap and hopefully some decent screenshots as soon as I get my digital camera. There are some low res (300 dpi) scans there now.

Hope it can help some of us!

PS: It's located at my web page, follow the link below....

Wes

I hate Sony. I love BD. I hate Sony...

My Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2001, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mooneyass,

I have eveluated all the screen materials you mentioned, except the Vutec Material. I did not know they made an acoustically transparent material.

I currently use my Sony 1271 (750 hrs) with the Da-lite material with pretty good results. I only wish it had some gain. It was VERY inexpensive when compared to the Stewart Screen I ultimately would like to have but have a hard time spending over $2k for the screen. $200 vs $2000+

Does the Vutec have multiple gains available?? If so, where can I check them out?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2001, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Moneyass,

No luck contacting Stewart? Their 1-800 number is 1-800-762-4999 (check their website). There is also a dedicated forum frequented by people from Stewart at www.thebigpicturedvd.com

Is there any way to put more points on the frequency scale for the DaLite acoustical transmission graph? Something around 20kHz maybe? The scale also appears to need some fixing as it goes out to 100kHz and the data goes to 20kHz...

Great page though, I love that the DaLite graph has positive gain for certain frequencies! Got to love instrumental variation. :/

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #4 of 7 Old 10-23-2001, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kam,
I recently requested technical information on the Da-Lite acoustically transparent screen and was told that sound is attenuated by approximately 5 db at 20 kHz.

Video,
I understand that Vutec has only one acoustically transparent screen available. It has a gain of 0.85.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-23-2001, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kam

Sorry, I placed every data point they gave me. Sorry about the scale, I'm using M$ Excel with a log scale and it won't let me change the scale endpoints.....That last data point is from 20KHz.

Scott

-4.5 db from the graph

Video

I am currently awaiting a package from Vutec. I couldn't find it anywhere, hence tha page creation ;) Where did you get your Da-Lite screen?

Thanks a bunch for the input guys,

Wes

I hate Sony. I love BD. I hate Sony...

My Blog
post #6 of 7 Old 10-24-2001, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Damn you MS... damn you. Excel never lets me have the control I want/need. Maybe I need to buy a book or something. :)

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2001, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think I bought it from Cousins Video a couple of years ago for about $200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page