post #61 of 86 Old 11-13-2001, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Don

Thank you for your suggestions....
I'll be checking out the two materials next week. If the Grayhawk screen will benefit the blacklevel and colors and an overall improvement can be seen compared to a Studiotek fabric, I might decrease the width to get a better PQ.

Thanks.

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 11-13-2001, 05:07 AM

Hi Don,
hope you're doing fine. I had a similar question on a different thread that was partially answered by Dennis. I'd appreciate if I could get some input from you too so I could get on to ordering the screen.
- G11 at 18'-20' from screen, soon to be Dilarded
- Seating right behind projector
- Screen wall (19'wx8'h) covered with black fabric, all other walls could be painted dark
- Lights totally off during viewing which is DVDs 99% of the time
I would like a 135" diagonal screen and need to choose between the grayhawk and the studiotek.
Per Dennis, the brightness would be about 15/13 (pre/post calibration) ft.lamberts
Which of the two screens would be appropriate, or would the new screen material for DLPs be helpful for DILAs too?
Thanks a lot,
Sanjiv
post #63 of 86 Old 11-13-2001, 05:16 AM

Mr. Stwart,

Would you be so kind as to give me a recommendation of a screen 54"x96" for use with the Sharp? My room is 14,4 x 20,5 feet, the walls are dark blue and the ceil is white (I can change this color if you think this would help). The lights are completely controlled and I'll be watching dvd movies without any light on.

Thank You,
Flavio
post #64 of 86 Old 11-13-2001, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Don
Your reviews and comments are quite helpful. Any thoughts on the JVC G150HT projector (which has published lumens of 1000 ANSI) as to which screen would be appropriate. Is the Greyhawk still appropriate?

Screen size 96x54
Throw distance 16ft. (front lens surface to screen)
Rear wall mount about 6-7 ft high
Ceiling: black
Walls: dark green
Carpet: beige and black

A question for everyone else. Video scaler Rock+ vs Faroudja NR? Is Dilard needed when a non-HTPC used for scaling? Obvious newbie posting. Room under construction. Tiresome reinventing the wheel, thanks for the help.

BTW Don, drink lots of beer for those kidney stones during an attack (friend of mine passed a stone after 48 oz at an Atlanta Braves game!)
post #65 of 86 Old 11-13-2001, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi Don,

how can anyone buy anything other than a Stewart screen after all you've done for us here on this forum? I applaud your efforts & wish you well in your health & fortunes.

Now...

I just received my sharp today & have posted this ( from another thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=92320 ) after temporarily hooking it up on my warehouse wall this is part of what I said..

"Ok.. just finished setting up the Sharp 9000 (temporary for a quick look) in my warehouse (since it's where I received it) against the worst white/dirty brick wall with tiny little holes everywhere & all I can say is WOW! It blew me away!

Remember now..this is coming from a guy (me) who has seen many DLP's in the past year or so including LCD's & I hadn't seen even one that was worth considering.

I was projecting a 144 inch image from 27 feet away with S-Video hook up from a non progressive DVD Player. I CAN'T wait to see it from a proper set-up on a Stewart screen! I think this baby is a keeper & I wouldn't even consider selling now that I've seen it.

BTW.. the projection on my wall was 144" wide & not diagonally so larger of course in diagonal."

Don,

I would like a 120" wide screen after seeing it on a 144" width so that would give me what about a 142" diagonal width? Anyway, that is what I would like & I prefer a screen that I can pull down manually because it will be in a living room with another TV & I would only use it for DVD movies for the time being so please advise as I'm ready to make the purchase.

Thank You & keep up the great work.
Chris

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #66 of 86 Old 11-13-2001, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Chris glad your enjoying your Sharp :)

Spero D.
post #67 of 86 Old 11-14-2001, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Don,

I see that with your test procedure you measured a best CR of about 670 with the Sharp.

Someone mentioned in another post that you measured nearly that (I think it was 658) with the Sanyo XP21. Was that with the same method, i.e., does the Sanyo really have contrast essentially as good as the Sharp?

Can you comment on both pj's performance in dark scenes, when the internal light leakage is most apparent? I think when some people talk about "great blacks" they are referring to contrast in bright scenes, where blacks can look inky, whereas in dark scenes the best that is achieved is darkish grey.

Chris, did the pj's you looked at include the Sanyo XP21 or PLV60?

Thanks

Noah
post #68 of 86 Old 11-14-2001, 09:55 PM
REW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hats off for Don Stewart

If ever a topic needed to be thrashed to the death -this is it!Especially from someone(credibility plus) with relevant measurements and all round experience.Mr.Wiggles is so right.Not since Neville Chamberlain declared "Peace in our Time!" have we been taken to the cleaners by all this blatant misleading .Hooray and halleluh.

Why is it not possible for AVS forum to put out a FAQ(there is one for many topics)and just warn the newbies(or anyone)of the real world of PJ's.Just copy this thread-for starters.Then I am convinced we are helping our members(surely a good thing)Don and Wiggles certainly are doing something.It is nothing short of amazing that Don speaks out and is a manufacturer too!
:) Regards Ron

Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!-only if its done by FET!"

post #69 of 86 Old 11-16-2001, 07:21 AM

Don,

For 6500K you used Gamma 1 and set Color Temp to -2. What were the specific Red and Blue settings used?

Is color temp effected by lumens? In other words, using your settings for color temp, will it be 6500K if I'm in "Normal" or "Bright" mode?
post #70 of 86 Old 11-17-2001, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

"I see that with your test procedure you measured a best CR of about 670 with the Sharp. Someone mentioned in another post that you measured nearly that (I think it was 658) with the Sanyo XP21. Was that with the same method, i.e., does the Sanyo really have contrast essentially as good as the Sharp?"

I would truly appreciate an answer to this question. I do believe, Noah, that this is what people are talking about, ie.contrast on bright scenes.

Based on the drastic differences in brightness, however, if they both achieve the same numerical CR than the black level of the Sanyo must be higher. I can't see how any other way this could be the case.

David Mendicino
post #71 of 86 Old 11-24-2001, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Don I have posted that those sizes are diagonal. Look forward to your reply.

Spero D.
post #72 of 86 Old 11-26-2001, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Stewart

In order to make the proper screen selection for a particular projector and room, please indicate the following...

2. If projector is going to be ceiling mounted or floor mounted.
How does this influence the choice of screen? Because a ceiling mounted projector will reflect some light off the ceiling?

David
post #73 of 86 Old 11-26-2001, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

I will be buying the new Sharp XVZ-9000E

The room is completely light controled.

The width of the screen will be about 100'' to 123'' :D

Should I go for a Grayhawk, Sutdiotek 130 or wait for the new "DLP material" to arrive. I read something about January 2002.

Thanks

Anthony
post #74 of 86 Old 11-27-2001, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Dear Don,
How about masking? i am considering you 4 Way deluxe with the new fabric as it becomes available. The reason is that when I have viewed 4:3 images on a 16:9 grayhawk without masking it seemed to wash the image out a little. Do you think it is worth the expense? Or maybe just a vertical mask? I have a dedicated room that I can control the light in with white walls and ceilings gray carpet floors and about 14 ft from screen viewing area. I am all ears. thanks for your support/help.
Paul
post #75 of 86 Old 11-27-2001, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Anthony,

Take a look at the end of Don's post with the test results.

As you can see, the answer depends greatly on where within that 100-123" range! I would say wait for the new screen, though, because at 100" you are pushing it with the Greyhawk. The new screen will be much more suitable than a Studiotek 130, and (hopefully) won't cost any more.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #76 of 86 Old 12-03-2001, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

How does a Studiotek 130 Microperf screen compare to a Grayhawk ?
Is there a big difference ?
Just saw the Sharp 9000 on a 3m wide Studiotek 130 Microperf. screen and brightness was no issue at all for me :-)
If I would go with a 2.6m wide Grayhawk brightness should be fine I guess......
I compared the Sharp on a 2m wide Grayhawk and Studiotek and the image was a lot better on the Grayhawk. Blacks improved and the overall picture seemed to be more pleasing. Especially slight "noise" from the dvd-player seemed to disappear on the Grayhawk.

We compared the Sharp 9000 with a 8'' CRT from Madrigal,the dvd-player was a Proceed. Signal was a interlaced YUV.

On the 3m wide screen, with a seating distance of about 6m, the image of the Sharp was fantastic! Compared to the CRT the only difference was blacklevel. When the masking of the screen was used with 2.35:1 movies, the overall image was even better.
Only in dark scenes you could see what projector was actually being used. I had to look back a few times to check if I was looking at the Madrigal or the Sharp :-)
That says it all....Sharp is on order....screen will be a Grayhawk or the new material that should be out beginning of next year...

Cheers

Anthony
post #77 of 86 Old 01-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

I had a chance to measure and tune a 9000 recently. I don't have all the results with me, but my lumen measurements were similar to Don's. I found ct -2 to have the best CT, but lumens were below 400. I then went to ct=-1 and turned the red to =+20 and the blue to -15. This gave me a CCT of about 7300, which I prefer to 6500, and the output was over 400 L. My numbers are not calibrated, but I don't think they're off by more than 10%. I found tweaking ct=-1 gave about 15% more output than using ct=-2.
I'll try to provide more info later. However, based on inputs from Ran in another thread, it seems like going into the service menu is a better bet. I didn't know about the service menu when I tried to tweak the CT settings.

Steve
post #78 of 86 Old 01-23-2002, 06:33 PM

Don:

I would appreciate your recommendation for a fixed, wall mounted screen to accomodate the Sharp 9000 and Dwin Transvision (not sure which projector will be chosen) using the following information:

1. Desired screen size and aspect ratio - 100" Diagnal - 16:9.

2. Projector Mounting - Ceiling Mounted.

3. Ambient light conditions - 100% controlled lighting. HT is in basement with no windows. All lighting (sofets, rope & direct down lighting all controlled by Lutron GrafikEye.

4. Room finish - Floor is covered in a dark, burgundy carpeting (short, nylon fibers). Walls are finished in a fauxe, leather texture. Deep colors of burgundies and gold trim accents. Screen wall and 5 feet around screen (side walls & ceiling) are flat black. Ceiling will also be dark color with low luster finish.

5. Approximate Throw distance - Throw distance will be approximately 15 feet 6 inches.

Thank you,

------------
Regards,
David
post #79 of 86 Old 01-23-2002, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steve5097
I had a chance to measure and tune a 9000 recently. I don't have all the results with me, but my lumen measurements were similar to Don's. I found ct -2 to have the best CT, but lumens were below 400. I then went to ct=-1 and turned the red to =+20 and the blue to -15. This gave me a CCT of about 7300, which I prefer to 6500, and the output was over 400 L. My numbers are not calibrated, but I don't think they're off by more than 10%. I found tweaking ct=-1 gave about 15% more output than using ct=-2.
I'll try to provide more info later. However, based on inputs from Ran in another thread, it seems like going into the service menu is a better bet. I didn't know about the service menu when I tried to tweak the CT settings.
When you say your "numbers are not calibrated," what do you mean? It sounds like you used some measurement devices to measure color temperature and brightness.

I've very interested in your settings and measurements! I'm interested in moving to a higher color temperature to increase brightness. (I'm using Red +1 Blue -2 ColTmp -2 based on Don's 6500K recommendations.) But only if I have something to go on, like someone else's measurements. I tried Ran's settings and cannot get a correct color temperature (or anything close). By eyeball inspection, everything is too blue. And as far as I know, no one that has tried his settings has any measurement equipment.

Please publish all your results when you have them with you and keep us updated. Information from measurement devices is golden to those of us without.

Thanks!
post #80 of 86 Old 01-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Augie,
I'm home, so I still don't have my stuff with me. It's very hard to find time during the day to update the forum, and at the end of the day I'm thinking about the commute home, not copying my notes. I'll really try to remember.
Yes, I did have a device that measures brightness and CCT, but it's at least a couple years out of calibration. I'm not trying to do high accuracy work. When a new PJ comes in, I run it through basic tuning, so people who use it at least get a fairly consistent picture, PJ to PJ. The tuning is done in a room with near white walls, so reflections further degrade the data. I'm pretty sure relative measurements are meaningful, but absolute accuracy isn't really required for basic tuning.

Steve
post #81 of 86 Old 01-25-2002, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteinyD
Don:

I would appreciate your recommendation for a fixed, wall mounted screen to accomodate the Sharp 9000 and Dwin Transvision (not sure which projector will be chosen) using the following information:

1. Desired screen size and aspect ratio - 100" Diagnal - 16:9.

2. Projector Mounting - Ceiling Mounted.

3. Ambient light conditions - 100% controlled lighting. HT is in basement with no windows. All lighting (sofets, rope & direct down lighting all controlled by Lutron GrafikEye.

4. Room finish - Floor is covered in a dark, burgundy carpeting (short, nylon fibers). Walls are finished in a fauxe, leather texture. Deep colors of burgundies and gold trim accents. Screen wall and 5 feet around screen (side walls & ceiling) are flat black. Ceiling will also be dark color with low luster finish.

5. Approximate Throw distance - Throw distance will be approximately 15 feet 6 inches.

Thank you,
David,
It sounds like you are designing and building very nice theater. Without question I would select the FireHawk for this installation.
As you probably already know, the FireHawk was designed to perform with the projector and room paramitors as you described above.
I have not had the pleasure of having the Dwin in our facitity for lumen and contrast measurements. I suspect after proper set up the Dwin will be in the 400 to 600 lumen range. At 500 lumens and with a 100 inch FireHawk screen, your peak foot lamberts will exceed 22 foot lamberts.
Regards,
Don
post #82 of 86 Old 01-26-2002, 05:19 AM

Don,
I would appreciate your reply on the screen I am choosing:

My HT room is 13'X16'
Using a Sharp XV-Z9000 about 14 to 15 throw ceiling mounted
I am ready to order a 16: 9 Grayhawk fixed screen 92"
wall mounted Luxus Deluxe .95 grain
Do you approve of this or should I go with something else

Thanks for your reply.

Chris
post #83 of 86 Old 01-26-2002, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrism
Don,
I would appreciate your reply on the screen I am choosing:

My HT room is 13'X16'
Using a Sharp XV-Z9000 about 14 to 15 throw ceiling mounted
I am ready to order a 16: 9 Grayhawk fixed screen 92"
wall mounted Luxus Deluxe .95 grain
Do you approve of this or should I go with something else

Thanks for your reply.

Chris
Chris,
A 92 inch size screen is right on the borderline. If it were me I would wait 20 to 30 extra days for the FireHawk. This really holds tree if you ever want to have some controlled room light on in your theater.
Regards,
Don
post #84 of 86 Old 01-26-2002, 10:05 PM

Don,

Thanks, I will wait for the firehawk.

Chris
post #85 of 86 Old 01-27-2002, 06:50 AM

Don,

By the way, this will be a dedicated room with complete control of my room light.

Thanks

Chris
post #86 of 86 Old 01-30-2002, 05:42 PM

Don,

Just a note, I have modified my room to 13X18... I will be getting the Firehawk 16:9 , 92" Diagional with the sharp 9000.
Can you give me a timetable on when I can have my local dealer order the Firehawk?( Also please comment on the screen, as I did not specify the screen size accurantly).

Thnaks

Chris
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page