If you had a choice...?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-29-2001, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which of these Steward Screens would you prefer if you had a choice? A 16x9 110" with vert masking or a 4:3 120" with Horz Masking? The 16x9 content would be the same... the only benefit with the 4:3 is bigger 4:3 content... Also, would you do Perf screen at this size or would you just put the Center channel below or above the screen?

The projector is a brand new XG85...

EMSN110W - Vert Electronic Masking Velux trim w/Studio Tec 130
EMSNH120-VAR - Horz Electronic Mask Velux trim w/Studio Tec 130

Thanks,
Danny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-29-2001, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a cheap roll down 4:3 screen just 100" Diag. I wish I would have gone for the 16:9 but in 100". The 100" 16:9 is about as big as most people want to go with a 8" projector but others have gone bigger. You should consider the seating distance. I find I do not watch any 4:3 on the projector. My next screen will probably be a 16:9 with some type of masking system. I rolled up my 4:3 to a 2.35 aspect ratio and adjusted the picture to the top of the screen and a masking system makes all the difference IMO. See DMan's Post in the CRT forum on his Stewart with masking system it is really cool but a bit pricey. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=Masking

Mike

post #3 of 3 Old 10-31-2001, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Danny,

I went with a 16:9 Stewart screen with horizontal masking as the only thing I watch on my CRT FPTV is widescreen DVD movies and HDTV content. I figured that most 4:3 material is very low resolution (DSS and cable) and that the current high resolution material is 16:9 material (DVD and HDTV).

BTW, here's some pics of my screen in action....

http://www.digitaltheater.com/pictur.../screen178.jpg
This is the Stewart Electrimask Screenwall with the masking panels completely open yielding a native aspect ratio of 1.78:1 (16:9).

http://www.digitaltheater.com/pictur.../screen235.jpg
Here is the Stewart screen with the electric masking panels raised and lowered for wider cinemascope 2.35:1 movies.

Darren Alcorn (DMan)

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page