Best screen for JVC RS1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy a JVC RS1 for my new home theater room , which will be 24 x 13 room and will have the JVC at about 12 feet. I am looking to get a 110-115 diagonal screen. What has been your experience (if you have a JVC RS1) and what would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Look into Stewart, Carada, Dalite HP, SMX, those are the popular ones right now. It all depends on your room conditions, light controlled, etc. Look into those mentioned, most of us are using one of types, Greyhawk, Silverstar, are also others I should mention. Your choice, your setup, go with what you like, and try to get samples. Carada 126 inch BW is what Im using in a 17x24 room.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #3 of 17 Old 08-16-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Here's anothe thread asking the same question started the day before your thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=890167

Have you tried the search engine for past threads on the topic....since this projector is so hot, I've got to imagine the topic has come up before.

Once you've narrowed your choices, I would request samples of screen material...so You can determine which looks best to you (before making the final purchase).

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #4 of 17 Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelavey View Post

I am looking to buy a JVC RS1 for my new home theater room , which will be 24 x 13 room and will have the JVC at about 12 feet. I am looking to get a 110-115 diagonal screen. What has been your experience (if you have a JVC RS1) and what would you recommend?

The RS1 has a 1.4x to 2.8x throw range, so at 12' lens to screen distance the widest 16:9 screen you can theoretically get is 12'/1.4= a little over 102".

This means you should be able to use a 54" x 96" (110" diagonal) with no problems, but you might be pushing it with a 115" diagonal (~56" x 100"). I would leave yourself a little wiggle room to allow for manufacturing tolerances, the fact that the screen surface will be an inch or more from the wall, installation tolerances, etc.

A couple of questions....
How far will your primary seating area be from the screen?
Is your room a dedicated theater (no windows, dark walls and ceiling)?
Will this be primarily for movies, or will you also be watching, say sports with the lights on?

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #5 of 17 Old 08-18-2007, 04:29 PM

Mark,

I am in the same situation with my home theater. It is completely light controlled. However, currently from where the screen would be mounted, the seating area is approx 18' feet away. Would that be acceptable or would it just be easier to move my seating area forward? I have an adustable sectional which is easily configurable.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
If money isn't an issue, then hands down, I would say the Stewart Studio Tek 130.

post #7 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 AM

My room is 24'x17' and I went with a 144" 2:35 screen. I bought a Carada BW and I have a JVC RS1. My room won't be ready for another 6 weeks but I will report back as soon as it is completed. I was told by JVC that it should be bright enough but I am keeping my fingers crossed. My throw distance is a litte over 16.5' and I am using the Panamorph lens with motorized mount. My seating distances are 16' and 22'. It is a dedicated light controlled room.

Good luck. I bought the Carada screen based on reviews and the people their are extremely helpful. It was delivered within 2 weeks and the price was very reasonable.

regards,

Don
post #8 of 17 Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

The RS1 has a 1.4x to 2.8x throw range, so at 12' lens to screen distance the widest 16:9 screen you can theoretically get is 12'/1.4= a little over 102".

This means you should be able to use a 54" x 96" (110" diagonal) with no problems, but you might be pushing it with a 115" diagonal (~56" x 100"). I would leave yourself a little wiggle room to allow for manufacturing tolerances, the fact that the screen surface will be an inch or more from the wall, installation tolerances, etc.

A couple of questions....
How far will your primary seating area be from the screen?
Is your room a dedicated theater (no windows, dark walls and ceiling)?
Will this be primarily for movies, or will you also be watching, say sports with the lights on?

Marc --

My room is 13 x 24, light controlled, dedicated theater
can move the JVC to whatever distance gives the best ft/lamberts (assume 12-15 feet would probably give brightest picture)
will watch almost all movies with some sports, but not a lot of lighting (some on in the back)
first row is at 11 feet , best seats are at 16 feet, last row at 22 feet
post #9 of 17 Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM

I have a RS1 with a 106 diagonal screen. My first screen was a da-lite HCCV which
was a complete diaster. The picture was horrible. I tried a lot of samples after
that and decided on the Stewart Studio Tek 130. The carada BW was a close second.
Buy the Stewart Studio Tek 130. The picture is amazing.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodx View Post

I have a RS1 with a 106 diagonal screen. My first screen was a da-lite HCCV which
was a complete diaster. The picture was horrible. I tried a lot of samples after
that and decided on the Stewart Studio Tek 130. The carada BW was a close second.
Buy the Stewart Studio Tek 130. The picture is amazing.

The Carada BW has a reputation for being very smooth and free of screen artifacts, such as a sparkly texture.

How about your Stewart Studio Tek 130? Do you see any sparkly texture from the mild screen gain?
post #11 of 17 Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

I am firmly in favor of the DaLite Hi-Power, which is awesome with our RS-1. It works better on a rear shelf or hung down on a pole, but a ceiling mount is still pretty good. Check out Tryg's thread.

Kevin
post #12 of 17 Old 09-05-2007, 09:41 PM

I've got an RS1 and am looking for a screen too. I was looking at the Sillverstar, but is it worth it for all that gain? I have a batcave, so I was more interested in the increased contrast and color reproduction then brightness. But then I heard the material takes away a bit from the sharpness of the projector. Now I'm looking around for another fixed screen that ships fully assembled. Any opions welcomed.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM

When I first tried the Carada BW I thought it would be the best choice. It was so
smooth and 100% free of the sparkies. I really wanted it to be the best, but after a week of comparing it to the studio tek I had to admit it wasn't as good. The studio tek
had better whites, colors and blacks and images looked clearer to me. Also when displaying a 1080p signal from a computer the text was sharper. I can see a few sparkles if I display a solid color and get within three ft. of the screen. At 9ft. (where my chair is) I can't see any and I tried cause I really hate them.

I don't know what to make of the Dalite HI-power. It was so insanely bright. On my small sample the black's didn't look to good. Not sure how that would look on dark movies.

I hated the silverstar. It look worst than the HCCV. A blurred up mess.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 AM

The silverstar is really that bad. I mean it's a 2,000 dollar screen, and Vutec hypes the hell out of it. Maybe I'll just go with a da-lite da-snap matte white. Play it safe.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Blacks look pretty black on a Da Lite HP with the RS1. I'm still happy as a clam with my 159" 16:9. Go as big as you can, you'll be glad you did later.

Kevin W.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i just setup a Constant Height setup using a RS1 with a SMX acoustically transparent screen

if you need an AT screen give Ruben a call at SMX....a VERY helpful guy thats ALWAYS there to answer the phone

couldnt be happier with my setup....the picture is stunning

HTH

brad
post #17 of 17 Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My name is Reuben, maybe I can get a discount on SMX?

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page