Calling all LT150 Owners: Asking for screen selection help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2001, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start that this is my first front projection TV. In other words…I don’t know @&*^! :)So please bear with me.

I should receive my LT150 in a few days and I’ve tried to research which screen would work best for me but a few too many responses came up and felt I might as well give my room dimensions and ask you pros for assistance!

My room dimensions are:
From screen wall to rear wall is 23.’
Viewing area- (where your head is on couch) is at 16’- 16 ½’. I’m 6’tall so I’d say my head is 3 ½ from floor. The ceiling is 9’ high.

My questions are:
I plan to ceiling mount this unit. Where do you recommend mounting this unit from the screen area in terms of feet, How far back from screen for optimal results for 106†diagonal WS picture? Will I lose too much PQ going that large? I can go smaller if recommended.

What screen gain?

What Brand? I need a roll down type screen in casing….WAF

Hopefully, this will help me get started in my research.

Thanks (I’m sure there will be many more questions to come!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-01-2001, 03:45 PM

check www.projectorcentral.com they sould be able to get you going in the right direction. Try there projection calculator.

Jayson
post #3 of 6 Old 11-02-2001, 07:56 AM

Welcome to the LT150 owners club.

The Manual will give you a precise measurment for the screen size you choose. This measurement is very important and cannot be altered because you cannot zoom w/LT150.

I have a simalar setting and prefer 80x45 for 16:9 viewing. The larger the screen the larger the pixels.

Is your room light controlled? I use a Draper M2500 (2.5 gain) in a non light controlled room. Others have had great success w/Da-Lite High power screen. Do a search in this forum and you will find out.

Da-lite seems to be the screen of choice for the LT150. AV Science sells these at a great price.

See this link for my setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=86853
post #4 of 6 Old 11-02-2001, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

No, my room is not light controlled. But the only time I see my self using this is in the evenings anyway, at which then I can controll the lighting.

I might add that this room that this system is going in is an "multi-purpose" family room. The WAF: Cannot paint the walls black or any dark color. The walls are white!

So is this something I need to take into consideration when selecting a screen?

Thanks

Your setup looks awesome! What size is your screen?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-02-2001, 03:41 PM

The screen is 80" x 45" or 92" diagonal. My room is not light controlled either and I primarily watch movies at night. I would pick the 2.5 gain screen for sure in a non light controlled room. My walls were white about 2 weeks ago. The paint made the room much "warmer" than the plain old white room...blaah.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-02-2001, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

If your going to be watching 16 feet or more back, I would recomend a screen about 8 feet wide.

That size screen will need some gain.

If your going to table mount, than a retro-reflective screen is the way to go and the Da-Lite high power is a no-brainer. retro-reflective screens don't hotspot. The light hits the screen and goes back to the source

If your ceiling mounting, than I think it can be a toss up. Stewart makes a great 1.8, Draper's 2.5 is very good, and the high power still works well even in ceiling mount.

Tom has obviously had good success with the draper; but, I think some people are still having streaks, color abrerations, etc. in their samples. 2.5 gain is going to have a touch of hotspotting but the LT150 does have some uniformity to spare.

Also, you don't have to paint your walls black to have a good room, off-white pastels are usually in the .7 reflectance range. These will work way better than bright white. Remeber, something has to absorb the light at some point! A super white colored room is going to allow the projector to wash it's own image out. Along those lines, make sure your lighting is direct as possible where you need it. Indirect lighting throws a bunch of light around that will eventually wash out your screen.

Good luck,

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page