any ideas on pink screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-07-2001, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i noticed on a post where someone had used a pink tinted screen to correct green tint from a dlp[a lp350 i think] has anyone done this and what color of pink did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-09-2001, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm afraid I can't help you on your actual question, but I can't help thinking that it would be much easier to experiment with some coloured filters......
post #3 of 8 Old 11-09-2001, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

I believe KBK's paint corrects the color wheel, or at least he was talking about doing that when he was perfecting it. It was going to be a projector specific paint. Or at least I think. Do a search maybe you can find a thread. I don't think pink will pull up a lot of hits.

~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
My Theater
Champagne tastes with a beer budget
post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2001, 08:45 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Yes. That be me. Typing in 'Think Pink', won't bring up a bunch of Dow Corning ads. At least not here.

What I had done is I had done some effectual version of 'tinting' in a interesting proprietary way, and managed to get the impression of color correctness back to where it should be for the PJ in question. What can be easily done, is to look at what direction the colorspace of the PJ moves towards in the overall area, when the controls are centered. Then, find the difference, or opposite on the color wheel. Then, add this opposite to the paint mix to shift the overall screen tint, not just grey level. This centers the colorspace you realize with the screen/PJ combination. Works VERY well, for fixing the PJ's with bad bulb characteristics. makes the PJ look much more natural, and correct. It may be a perceptual problem as well,due to wavelengths and shutter speeds (kinda thing) that is causing the problems. So, fixing it at the screen is the viable option.

Basically, I sent a Grey, color corrected screen to Alan to fool with quite a long time ago, I believe before the advent of other 'greys' out there....

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2001, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. i had saw a post by gmann and mr. wiggies [i think it was] on the tinted screen with a lp350 which is what i have and i think gmann was the one that posted pic,s of images on a pink screen.looked excellent.thought i'd try and find out if anyone else had tryed this and what results they had. thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 11-12-2001, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

hardvark,

Do a search for Pinkhawk in the DLP section.

It will give you an interesting debate.

The advantage of a pink screen is that it is in a way a color selective gray screen. Pink is just gray without reducing the red portion of the spectrum.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2001, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

there seems to be alot more colors of pink to use than i thought. i thought it whoud be like the beir white;basicily one color with a few diffent tints maybe. any idea's on what colors of gray and pink whoud be best to mix? or just bite the bit and order some screen mix from KBK?
post #8 of 8 Old 11-16-2001, 09:23 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Yes, you could. Basically, at this point in time, I am like the waitress taking orders. i pull the pen from behind my ear and ask you 'what do you want?'. What reflective gain? what screen size do you want to use? what is the contrast range (mesured if possible, from a review or the like) of the PJ? What is the bulb type, and native color spectrum? If DLP, what kind of wheel is in use? What will the ambient lightling conditions be like?

In this way, I can try to target the mixture for your specific needs. Normally, this cannot be done, as it is WAY to labour intensive. We are trying to get a 'set' number of designs out there, and the only way to begin that process, is to take specific orders,and compile the 'range' of product from the result of that group of customers. Basically, see what is popular, and get a certian minimum of basic designs lined up, and expand from there.

What it will be like in the near future is.. you will tell me what you have, and want for screen size, and I will send you a given mix 'x', and that's about it. Once these are in place, the changes reqired in them (set designs) will be minimal, if at all.

In the meantime, it's all custom, which is something that is not really achievable at anywhere near this price, period. The product can handle direct comparisons to the best screen materials out there, so, where do you loose out?

Look at it this way.. if you could have totally custom speakers made, at the 'Circuit city', or 'Best Buy' price, simply for the asking, would you jump on the chance?

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page