Carada New Masking System - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 614 Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi David,
Congrats on the article in HT (my copy came yesterday) - Kris was certainly very complementary, and deservedly so. He pretty much echoed what those of us who have one know already. I dno't think HT puts current issue articles on the web immediately, but i expect it will get there eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 614 Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the kind comments Jon!

And for those who don't receive Home Theater Magazine, we've purchased the reprint rights to the article and it is now posted on our website under the "Screen Reviews" tab.

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

What image do YOU want to project?
post #363 of 614 Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

Unless he's changed magazines, doesn't Kris Deering write for Secrets of Home Theater? I couldn't find his article in either publication on the web.

I know longer work for Secrets. I left that publication in February and joined the staff at Home Theater magazine.

I was thrilled with the quality of the Masquerade and continue to use it in my system today. I talked with David at CEDIA and told him that I couldn't imagine not having it in my system now. The affect on overall picture quality is tremendous.

If anyone has any questions about the unit please feel free to PM me and I'll be dropping by this thread from time to time. If anyone is in the Washington area and would like to check it out, I'd be happy to demo it if you want to swing by. Again, just PM me and we'll work something out.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #364 of 614 Old 09-18-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Funny Kris, upon reading that review I thought "I know Kris is going to keep the Masquerade." Once you've seen your own projection system masked it's hard to go back, especially with a system that seems as user friendly and cool as the Masquerade.
post #365 of 614 Old 09-26-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post

For auto-masking like you're describing the masking system would need to be paired with a video server like the Kaleidescape system (which stores DVD aspect ratio info in its databases) and the Kaleidescape would have to be pre-configured (by Kaleidescape) to "talk" to the specific masking system in use and send appropriate commands to move the masks to a specific position. The Masquerade isn't set up for that kind of integration with Kaleidescape, although there are a couple of masking systems on the market that do have that functionality. But the last time I checked, those masking systems by themselves (not counting the video server) were over $20K.

Just to clarify, A Kaleidescape system does not talk directly to a masking system, rather it provides the proper feedback to control systems like AMX or Crestron which listen for these control queues and trigger the proper commands to be sent to the masking system. Incidentally that's how I will be using it when I order my Masquerade System. That way when I go from a 2.35 movie to 1.78 movie and back on Kaleidescape, I wont even have to touch a button on the Masquerade remote, now that is the ultimate automation!

Disclaimer, in no way could I afford a Kaleidescape System, I can barely afford the Masquerade but I used to work there and all employees get one for free. I looked at and have used solutions from Screen Research and Stewart, they were noisy, slow, buggy and expensive; LONG LIVE CARADA!
post #366 of 614 Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
David,
Given that side masking for 4:3 does not have to vary why don't you sell some clip-on (or magnetic?) manual masks for the Masquerade screens?
post #367 of 614 Old 09-30-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

im not sure if this has been discussed before, but anyone who has ideas/experience could chime in. i will be buying this system in the next few months as my theater nears completion and i would like to know what ways are possible to have this thing automated. what ways (expensive, cheap, diy) are available that one can do to make masking as automated as possible.

post #368 of 614 Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been drooling over the thought of having a Masquerade setup for awhile and I know the price point is a bargain in relative terms, but still price is the number one factor holding me back. If there is any way this system could be brought into the $1,500 range (for a 110" screen), I would be in. And I don't even have a dedicated home theater. I'd just love to have one in my living room theater for the cool and convenience factor. If economies of scale ever allow a price adjustment, that would be awesome. There are many folks such as myself who are now projecting in their living rooms because projectors are more affordable and flexible than ever before.....I think a lower price would potentially attract a larger number of people in that crowd.

Another question: if a person moves to a different house and gets a larger screen, is it at all possible to retrofit parts to use an existing Masquerade or is that price prohibitive compared to just getting a whole new Masquerade?

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #369 of 614 Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Dundas, that's an interesting idea! But I can't make any promises about developing something like that (really busy around here lately). Maybe you could start a cottage-industry business selling aftermarket add-ons for the Masquerade.

Anthony, the Masquerade can be controlled by automation systems like Crestron, AMX, Control Four, Lexicon, Main Lobby, etc. And as mrcaseyb mentioned above, a Kaleidescape system can tell an automation system what the aspect ratio of the movie is so that the automation system can then tell a masking system where to put the masks. At this point we haven't partnered with Kaleidescape to enable their systems to "talk" to our systems, although we may do that at some point in the future if we see enough demand. Other than that I'm not sure how you could make the Masquerade more automated that it already is. Now you could program a programmable remote to send signals to the masking system, although I wouldn't really consider that making the system "more automated" (that's just trading one remote for another). But then again I'm tired and not at my most creative right now, so if anyone has other ideas, please feel free to share them.

Thanks for your comments about pricing Chad. Unfortunately the masking system category isn't exactly a high-volume product category and I'd be very surprised if we ever see any signficant economies of scale. So I'm afraid you won't see Masquerade prices dropping anytime soon. In fact we are very likely going to raise pricing in the near future. Anyone who has ANYTHING to do with manufacturing can tell you that the cost of virtually ALL raw materials have gone up very significantly in the last year (not to mention the cost of fuel, utilities, insurance, blah blah blah). Current Masquerade pricing was established in the summer of 2007 before all these price increases, and I may not be the brightest bulb in the box but even I know that we can't hold pricing level forever while cost-of-goods-sold and overhead is continually escalating.

No it really isn't feasible to retrofit parts from one size Masquerade to another size. If you did move to a different house and needed a different size system, the smart thing to do would be to sell the Masquerade to one of your friends who has been drooling over yours.

Now before anybody asks, no I can't say how much prices will increase at this point, and no I can't say exactly when they will go up (although we probably won't change them for at least another month or so). Don't say I didn't warn you...

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #370 of 614 Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

hmmm, yeah since the great majority of us can't get a kaleidescape system (i wish they would make a cheaper version), im trying to figure out a way for it to be easier. i guess one can program different ar's into their remote and when the movie starts hit the button. this may be the cheapest method, although one would have to know which ar the movie is anyways. i'll keep thinking but if anyone has some ideas, that would be great. oh, and i will soon have a lutron homeworks system installed in my house so perhaps something can be integrated with this?

post #371 of 614 Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:

Dundas, that's an interesting idea! But I can't make any promises about developing something like that (really busy around here lately). Maybe you could start a cottage-industry business selling aftermarket add-ons for the Masquerade.
David Giles
Carada, Inc.

Then you would have to tell me where to source your Black Hole fabric.
post #372 of 614 Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM

I want this system so badly, it consumes my thoughts. Last night "Iron Man" on Blu-Ray could have been MUCH better if it weren't for the darn bars. I'm currently trying to sell some old gear to pay for Masquerade.
post #373 of 614 Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

david, could you elaborate on using a 12v trigger for the masquerade. specifically, would the best thing be to have the pj 12v trigger go into the masquerade to control it? or am i missing something here? thanks.

post #374 of 614 Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Now before anybody asks, no I can't say how much prices will increase at this point, and no I can't say exactly when they will go up (although we probably won't change them for at least another month or so). Don't say I didn't warn you...

Your really making me think here David. Been thinking about this for a while and the quarterly bonus at work was a bit larger than expected this week. Think I might have to pull this trigger on this one by the end of the weekend. Won't tell the wife though

We all understand about having to raise prices due to raw materials costs. No one can fault you there.

The Fog Valley Cinema Build Thread.

Home Theater, Basement Entertainment Area Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #375 of 614 Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcaseyb View Post

I want this system so badly, it consumes my thoughts.

Music to my ears...

Anthony, using a projector's 12V trigger to control a masking system doesn't really make sense (you don't necessarily want the masking to deploy simply because you've turned the projector on).

Thanks for understanding Driving_Hamster! We'll be ready when you are, and we won't tell your wife either.

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #376 of 614 Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Just submitted my order via the web. Now I just need to round up a friend or two to help me carry that monster sized box down and install it. Shouldn't be to hard once I tell them that the theater has a fridge full of cold Oktoberfest beer in it .

Will post a review of it once I have it installed.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #377 of 614 Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Driving_Hamster! I know you'll love the system and I'll look forward to your review (with pictures if possible ).

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #378 of 614 Old 10-03-2008, 09:25 AM

David,

are the price increases going to happen with the screens as well or mostly just the Masking System?

Craig
post #379 of 614 Old 10-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:

... I'll look forward to your review (with pictures if possible ).

The review will be including pics for sure .

post #380 of 614 Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
received my masquerade a week before it was supposed to ship, that was a pleasant surprise. WOW is that box huge and heavy, although it was fun to see a Fedex Freight semi in our driveway!

We put the system together in short order, but there's a LOT of work I need to do in the theater room before I can even sit down to watch a movie, so its all on hold till then. I really do like playing with the remote to make the masks deploy!
post #381 of 614 Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post

are the price increases going to happen with the screens as well or mostly just the Masking System?

It will affect screens as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster View Post

The review will be including pics for sure.

Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

I really do like playing with the remote to make the masks deploy!

Same here. But if you think that's cool, just wait till you see what it does for your movie watching experience!

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #382 of 614 Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well David, as I mentioned on the phone, I was planning on darkening the entire front stage with curtains to enhance the experience. it took a lot of head scratching before I was able to work out how to get it all done, but i finished today.

I was able to finally set it up today... it really is a trying process to align the projector with the screen, but still playing with it, WOW what a difference! the blackness... i just cant describe how much more immersive it really is.

I now get why everyone's so into OAR movies on cable. It's such a shame that they blow it up to the 16x9 frame area. I am so excited to watch movies on blu-ray, i just cant say enough nice things about this system. best investment, it really makes a world of difference, and i cant believe we went so long without having one!
post #383 of 614 Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 123
More pics with the Masquerade engaged. IRONMAN and Speed Racer...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #384 of 614 Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

WOW what a difference! the blackness... i just cant describe how much more immersive it really is.... I am so excited to watch movies on blu-ray, i just cant say enough nice things about this system. best investment, it really makes a world of difference, and i cant believe we went so long without having one!

Thanks Ou8thisSN, and welcome to masking system nirvana!

And thanks for posting more photos Joe!

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #385 of 614 Old 10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

before:

after:

2.35:1 :

seating:

post #386 of 614 Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Ou8thisSN

Looks great. Have you used the masking system yet. I have had mine for a while and I am loving it. It just amazing.

Brad
post #387 of 614 Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

still a lot of work needs to be done, get new darker carpeting, paint the walls, and i've been lazy about running the wiring into the walls for the front 3, but i think i'm done with the front stage.

Yeah, absolutely love the masking system. I cant get enough of it, but surprisingly, my friends didnt notice. no one said much,, they didnt notice it going up or down. maybe i need newer friends? :P
post #388 of 614 Old 10-12-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

still a lot of work needs to be done, get new darker carpeting, paint the walls, and i've been lazy about running the wiring into the walls for the front 3, but i think i'm done with the front stage.

Yeah, absolutely love the masking system. I cant get enough of it, but surprisingly, my friends didnt notice. no one said much,, they didnt notice it going up or down. maybe i need newer friends? :P

Here is a a few shots of my Carada Masking system. My carpet is almost all black. Front wall black and dark grey walls and ceiling.

When you get yours done it will make a big difference.

Brad
LL
LL
post #389 of 614 Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Just got an email noting that my Masquerade has shipped and will (supposidly) be here tomorrow. Excellent... .

Full review and pics to come later.

post #390 of 614 Old 10-17-2008, 06:33 PM

Dude, this box is heavy! A two person carry for sure.

Going to open it up tonight and install it in my spare time over the next few days or so. Will post a full review with pics later in the week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Stewart , Criterion Collection , Projection Screens , Dalite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page