post #541 of 613 Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post

That's correct Mike, this prototype is for the new Masquerade CIH system that we recently started working on. Here's hoping that the lineup of customers waiting for it looks like opening night at a Star Wars movie! (a guy can dream can't he?)

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

David -

Thanks.
A cursory search didn't reveal a "Carada CIH Masking System Anticipation Thread".
Since this prototype is now added to a longer thread of the earlier "new" masking system, it might benefit people to start a new thread.

I'll do that now, unless there are objections.

Mike

EDIT:

I did start the "Carada CIH Masking System Anticipation Thread".
See link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128582
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 613 Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 AM

Liked: 10
"I know how you feel Rich!! My theater is width-limited and I already have the largest 16:9 setup that my theater can accommodate. So if I switch to a CIH system I would have the same width 2.35:1 image that I already have, while my 16:9 image would shrink considerably. So I'll probably just stick with my Horizontal Masquerade (which is very cool in its own right), but it's HIGHLY tempting to switch and give up the 16:9 size because when those masks open up on the CIH system and that wide screen appears in all its glory, it's just so darn cinematic!"

David Giles
Carada, Inc.

I'm in the same boat... My Masquerade is still working great!

But David do I get a 1 year upgrade trade-in?

keith
post #543 of 613 Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #544 of 613 Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Just ordered my Carada Masquerade! I'm very excited. It's a whopper: the outside dimensions being 142" wide and 79 1/2" tall.

It's being used with a custom-built side-masking system, so my actual viewable screen area will be 124" wide with up to 61" tall height. So I'll end up with remote controlled 4-way masking, allowing me to vary the image size as I wish.

It's been a looooooong process of design and planning and David Giles of Carada has been incredibly helpful in many lengthy email exchanges, trying to hash out how to get what I need out of the Masquerade system.

I won't be able to report immediately on the Masquerade once it arrives as it will be a while yet before the full system is up and running. But I can't wait!
post #545 of 613 Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Just ordered my Carada Masquerade! I'm very excited. It's a whopper: the outside dimensions being 142" wide and 79 1/2" tall.

It's being used with a custom-built side-masking system, so my actual viewable screen area will be 124" wide with up to 61" tall height. So I'll end up with remote controlled 4-way masking, allowing me to vary the image size as I wish.

It's been a looooooong process of design and planning and David Giles of Carada has been incredibly helpful in many lengthy email exchanges, trying to hash out how to get what I need out of the Masquerade system.

I won't be able to report immediately on the Masquerade once it arrives as it will be a while yet before the full system is up and running. But I can't wait!

Rich -

Congrats.

When you do get things up and running be sure to post some pics.

Mike
post #546 of 613 Old 05-16-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I have some photos of the Masquerade Masking System on page 5 on my site. Just follow the link in my signature below...

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #547 of 613 Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have some photos of the Masquerade Masking System on page 5 on my site. Just follow the link in my signature below...

Nice!

Mike
post #548 of 613 Old 05-16-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

post #549 of 613 Old 05-16-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:

124" wide for screen; sweet! I must say, a while back I had an opportunity to see another member's HT setup. He had a 10' wide screen (viewing distance was somewhere around 15' as I recall). That size seemed to cross the threshold of "yeh, baby, now that's what we're talkin' about." I'm sure your set up will be awesome.
post #550 of 613 Old 05-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Woah, that IS a massive masking system! Knowing how solid the materials are from putting up my 110" Masquerade, I can only imagine what the added length and height will do to the overall weight. Carada has top-notch build quality that is relatively uncomplicated to put together so assembling should be pretty straightforward, as long as you have a strong-backed partner to help put it up!

Looking forward to seeing pics of the final setup! Good luck!
post #551 of 613 Old 05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, it should be cool. I've got a lot of automation going on in my set up: remote controlled 4 way masking, the projector will be in a cabinet behind the viewing sofa on an automated lift, remote controlled black out blinds, even a remote controlled black shade that drops down from the ceiling to cover an area near the screen (to cut reflections), plus lights on remote dimmers, all the equipment (save projector of course) in another room down the hall, with an RTI remote control system.

I'll either be the George Jetson of the street, or the laughing stock if it doesn't all work...

It's one reason why I went with professional products, like the Masquerade, so there's only so much I can screw up. (Not being a handy-man 'n all).
post #552 of 613 Old 05-25-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

I will say using a different PJ (since mine is in Laredo) the Masquerade really shows the difference much clearer. You can really see gray/black bars when it is fully open... Close it and it is a day and night difference...

post #553 of 613 Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #554 of 613 Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Whoo-hoo, my big ol' Masquerade has arrived!

Of all the equipment I've purchased for my home theater reno, the Masquerade is near or at the top of my most anticipated items. Although it has to suffer somewhat from a slight anti-climactic quality along with all the other gear I've bought, as it has to just sit in it's box for the next couple of weeks. Wish I could just put the thing up now.
post #555 of 613 Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Whoo-hoo, my big ol' Masquerade has arrived!

Of all the equipment I've purchased for my home theater reno, the Masquerade is near or at the top of my most anticipated items. Although it has to suffer somewhat from a slight anti-climactic quality along with all the other gear I've bought, as it has to just sit in it's box for the next couple of weeks. Wish I could just put the thing up now.

Congrats!

We're expecting photos!
post #556 of 613 Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rich - Did you get your masquerade system in place yet? If so, impressions, pics. etc??
post #557 of 613 Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Rich - Did you get your masquerade system in place yet? If so, impressions, pics. etc??

Nope. My HT reno is just taking forever. Since January when the reno actually started I've been telling people I'm about 1 month from completion. Every month.

So, if I had to estimate, I'm about 1 month from completion..
post #558 of 613 Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post

124" wide for screen; sweet! I must say, a while back I had an opportunity to see another member's HT setup. He had a 10' wide screen (viewing distance was somewhere around 15' as I recall). That size seemed to cross the threshold of "yeh, baby, now that's what we're talkin' about." I'm sure your set up will be awesome.

I agree. 10' wide at 15' (40 degree viewing angle) is sweet for Scope films. However w/ my CIH set-up - the narrower aspect ratios look really small in comparison as I'm limited to 50" height (for all ratios). Which means I'm much less excited to view those movies now. Especially 1:33 which looks really small and is only 5½' wide (x 50" high) and takes up a little more than 1/2 my screen width.

I'm envious of Rich's set-up as he can have the best of both worlds w/ 10+ feet wide and up to 61" height!

Anxious to hear how it all turns out.
post #559 of 613 Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

i would like owners of the masquerade to chime in. since the masks are deployed together (and cannot be individually controlled), has anyone noticed any issues in regards to movies (2.35, 2.37, 2.4 etc.) that some of them are not all the same and therefore the masks sometimes are perfect at the top but not enough at the bottom? i know this isn't carada's fault, but just wondering if anyone has seen this happen with their system when watching particular movies.

post #560 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

i would like owners of the masquerade to chime in. since the masks are deployed together (and cannot be individually controlled), has anyone noticed any issues in regards to movies (2.35, 2.37, 2.4 etc.) that some of them are not all the same and therefore the masks sometimes are perfect at the top but not enough at the bottom? i know this isn't carada's fault, but just wondering if anyone has seen this happen with their system when watching particular movies.

What do you mean when you say 2:35:1, 2:37:1, 2:40:1 are not "all the same?"

Of course they will be of varying height dimensions, but they would all be centered, so jogging the Masquerade masks a bit should meet the top and bottom of the image equally.

Are you trying to say that you've found that going from, say, a 2:35:1 to a 2:40:1 AR, that the top stays in the same place, but the bottom expands and contracts? That would be very odd.
post #561 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

apparently a custom installer i know, has had issues in the past using masking systems that are not independantly controlled. its not the masking systems fault, but he said that he has come across many movies that are not perfectly centered to the screen (vertically) and may be a bit higher than center, resulting on the masks being perfect on the top, but slightly short on the bottom (or vice versa). i hope im being clear.

post #562 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

apparently a custom installer i know, has had issues in the past using masking systems that are not independantly controlled. its not the masking systems fault, but he said that he has come across many movies that are not perfectly centered to the screen (vertically) and may be a bit higher than center, resulting on the masks being perfect on the top, but slightly short on the bottom (or vice versa). i hope im being clear.

Yes I have seen some movies that are not center. I cant remember which ones, but I will try to check in the next few days and report back.

Brad
post #563 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok, that's interesting.

I have the Carada Masquerade but unfortunately it's not up being used yet (still in never-ending room construction). So I likely wouldn't have noticed this issue if it occurred.

In my case if any AR is not perfectly centered it will be simple to just use my projector's (JVC RS20) lens controls to shift the picture in to place. I'd think it wouldn't be difficult for most people to do the same.

Except I guess for people who have projectors with manual lens controls, mounted in hard to reach places. Well...that's one reason I prefer to have remote controlled lens features.
post #564 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

There are some movies that will end up being placed somewhat different. If it is not way off I don't let it bother me. If it is more noticable I do adjust my image up or down to make it fit better. I have only had to do it a handful of times but for the most part most of our movies fit pretty good.

post #565 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

okay so for the few times it does occur, a manual lens shift may be needed (if its a lot). if it does occur and one chooses not to bother shifting the image and it overlaps the mask say 1", is that 1" of picture noticeable or is the mask so dark that you can't see that the mask is slightly overlapping the image?

post #566 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

okay so for the few times it does occur, a manual lens shift may be needed (if its a lot). if it does occur and one chooses not to bother shifting the image and it overlaps the mask say 1", is that 1" of picture noticeable or is the mask so dark that you can't see that the mask is slightly overlapping the image?

Like Joerod I have only shifted the image a few times. Its only off a little and for the most part you will have to look to see it. The masking is as dark as the frame. It should bother you for the few times a movie doesnt line up.

Hope this helps
Brad
post #567 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've experienced the same thing with my Masquerade - it seems that quite a few scope movies aren't perfectly centered in the frame, so you'll end up with a small amount - worst case scenario 1" - of the picture masked by the upper or lower mask. If you have a VP you could shift the image up or down, but frankly it's not worth it for the small amount of image that gets masked off. I don't ever notice it unless I look for it (the black felt is quite good at absorbing stray light), but if I'm doing that I'm not enjoying the movie, which is the whole point!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #568 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have more of an issue when they put their subtitles over the bars...

post #569 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

i have more of an issue when they put their subtitles over the bars...

+1

Regards,
John
post #570 of 613 Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

If you have a VP you could shift the image up or down,

Hey, I never thought about that!

I have a VP - the Denon DVP-602CI - that I haven't used yet. Hopefully it has the option for image shift. Is this a typical feature of VPs? Or only rarely found?

Thanks.
Reply Screens

Tags
Stewart , Criterion Collection , Projection Screens , Dalite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page