Carada New Masking System - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 613 Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oliver I'm afraid I don't have an answer as to "when", but I'm fairly certain that we will start shipping the Masquerade outside North America in the not-too-distant future. Thanks for checking though and don't give up!

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

What image do YOU want to project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 613 Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverg View Post

David, what do us poor Aussies do when we want to buy one of your masking systems?? On the website, "no international shipments"

Get it shipped within the US to a reshipping company and then onto Australia if Carada haven't implemented International shipping yet. As long as it can be used on 240v power?
post #183 of 613 Old 01-19-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
That's exactly what I would do.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #184 of 613 Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM

Do they annoy me??? You bet they do! I just placed my order yesterday and had the pleasure to speak with David. The customer always comes first with this company! I placed my order yesterday and am counting down the days until the masking system arrives. This will be my second order from Carada and the quality is the best I have ever seen, I'm sure their masking system will be the equally as good.

By the way this does seem to have the "Wife acceptance factor" as she thought it looked cool on the website. She didn't even ask how much - bless her soul.
post #185 of 613 Old 01-19-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
There is a certain irony to the desire for a masking system, and even Constant Image Height systems, among AVS members.

Whenever an unfortunately newbie makes a post, in any forum, about "Why do I have to put up with those annoying black bars?" there is the inevitable pile-on the poor person. The poor, naive, HT-heathen is told how it preserves the aspect ration and "why are you watching the black bars instead of the movie in the first place?" is a common refrain.

But, aspect ratios aside, we can see those pesky "black bars" are annoying to many of us. They do have a distraction/aesthetics factor to a smaller or greater degree. Once you see them banished, then you realise you don't want to live with them anymore than that newbie did.

That's what you get with a masking system, and being rid of the black bars is also a highly touted benefit within the CIH community (and AV writers) as well.

Just musing...
post #186 of 613 Old 01-19-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

There is a certain irony to the desire for a masking system, and even Constant Image Height systems, among AVS members.

Whenever an unfortunately newbie makes a post, in any forum, about "Why do I have to put up with those annoying black bars?" there is the inevitable pile-on the poor person. The poor, naive, HT-heathen is told how it preserves the aspect ration and "why are you watching the black bars instead of the movie in the first place?" is a common refrain.

But, aspect ratios aside, we can see those pesky "black bars" are annoying to many of us. They do have a distraction/aesthetics factor to a smaller or greater degree. Once you see them banished, then you realise you don't want to live with them anymore than that newbie did.

That's what you get with a masking system, and being rid of the black bars is also a highly touted benefit within the CIH community (and AV writers) as well.

Just musing...

As with many things in life there are compromises. Many that want to preserve OAR "put up with" the black bars. If you gave those same ppl a choice with compromising the image vs black bars they support OAR.

My belief is if digital projectors provide deep inky blacks similar to CRT, I think many would be less likely to pay for masking...it's the difference between the black felt frame, the lessor black letterboxing that draws attention to itself and thereby providing a need for masking. If the letterbox bars were truely black then the eyes wouldn't be drawn to it and there wouldn't be an issue.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #187 of 613 Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

My belief is if digital projectors provide deep inky blacks similar to CRT, I think many would be less likely to pay for masking...it's the difference between the black felt frame, the lessor black letterboxing that draws attention to itself and thereby providing a need for masking. If the letterbox bars were truely black then the eyes wouldn't be drawn to it and there wouldn't be an issue.

The only problem I see with that is: The Room.

Admittedly it's been many years since I've seen a CRT projector, but whatever the technology, I'd expect the room to be a factor: i.e. as more bright area appears on the screen reflections of light surfaces in the room back to raise the black levels, hence the black borders would fluctuate in level - sometimes pitch dark, other times not. Hence even with CRT I'd presume masking could be a benefit. Or with digitals if they get to those black levels. The vast majority of people don't create bat-caves and will not have a room that would make for consistant black levels/black bars.

If the above is somehow not the case in practice, I'd be curious why. (And I'm sure there must be cases of CRT projector owners who feel perfectly happy without masking and that the black bars are plenty "black enough"...but since I'm so used to masking I might disagree if I watched the same images).
post #188 of 613 Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM

How come Carada does not make high gain screens like 2.8 Da lite?
post #189 of 613 Old 01-19-2008, 07:14 PM

I still remember the wow factor when watching movies at the theater and the motorized masking moved into place when the feature started. As silly as it sounds I want that in my theater! I also added the remote control dimming lights The motorized curtains might be next. The same principal applied when I got rid of my microwave popcorn and bought a $400.00 popcorn machine.
I want to enjoy the entire experience and am willing to pay for it. The biggest compliment I get is when my guest say that my basement is just like the movie theater.
post #190 of 613 Old 01-20-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Same here.

My goal is to deliver a true movie theater experience with better popcorn, no people on cellphones, more comfortable seating and of course better sound and picture Q.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #191 of 613 Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Same here.

My goal is to deliver a true movie theater experience with better popcorn, no people on cellphones, more comfortable seating and of course better sound and picture Q.

Thank you - I'm glad there is someone else out there who has the same goal. All the constant back and forth theory about which speaker wire is better, Blu Ray or HD, CIH, or whatever is getting a little old.
post #192 of 613 Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

That's why frequent breaks from AVS is sometimes needed...

post #193 of 613 Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM

But where would I find out about all the new toys that are available for me to buy

My wife would love it I never cruised the forums.
post #194 of 613 Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 AM

I stayed away from AVS for a long time after I finished my home theater 7 years ago. My wife was very happy during that period.
post #195 of 613 Old 01-23-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm next!

post #196 of 613 Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
Paul you should have gone to the CES show in Las Vegas. You would have seen all the new "toys" up close and personal. You can find the same things online. Theres a ton of websites out there...
post #197 of 613 Old 01-24-2008, 06:52 AM

You don't think I work all day do you??? There sometimes has been a litte surfing done during the day.
I was thinking of going to CES next year & probably drive back with a semi trailer full of stuff. lol

Well it's been 6 days since my order was put in. Everybody please don't bother David while he is building mine. lol
post #198 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Question for Masquerade owners or anyone from Carada:

Can you fully close the masking all the way, so the masks come together covering the entire screen surface...or do the masks not extend that far?

(That may seem like an odd question, but it relates to how I may set this screen up decor-wise when not in use.

Thanks.
post #199 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

It actually goes to 2.40:1... Not all the way...

post #200 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ahhh...drat. It makes sense of course that it wouldn't close all the way.

Ok, that's what I needed to know. Thanks joerod.
post #201 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Actually it goes all the way to 2.70:1 but no further. Early in the design phase we considered building the Masquerade with the capability to close the masks all the way together (covering the entire screen surface). But there just weren't enough pros to offset the cons - additional raw material cost, larger frame dimensions needed to accommodate all the extra masking material rolled up on the rollers (which would limit installation flexibility), extra shipping weight, etc. etc.

Sorry Rich!

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #202 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you mask Ben-Hur? I believe that movie is 2.76AR.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #203 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

No, on Ben Hur with the Masquerade's masks fully deployed, you would still have very tiny black bars above and below the image . For example, on a 110" diagonal screen, the un-masked black bars with Ben Hur should each be approximately 3/8 of an inch tall.

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #204 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post

Actually it goes all the way to 2.70:1 but no further. Early in the design phase we considered building the Masquerade with the capability to close the masks all the way together (covering the entire screen surface). But there just weren't enough pros to offset the cons - additional raw material cost, larger frame dimensions needed to accommodate all the extra masking material rolled up on the rollers (which would limit installation flexibility), extra shipping weight, etc. etc.

Sorry Rich!

David Giles

No problem. That's what I figured and it makes sense. As it turned out, after responding to joerod's post I went back to my room and cogitated some more. It's been incredibly difficult balancing the demands of getting "high performance" from my projected image with integrating it into a living room.

But I finally had my "aha" moment and figured out a solution that, if it works, will be the best solution to practically every concern I've been having.

Which makes my original question about the Masquerade moot (I still plan on
getting one).
post #205 of 613 Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sorry, I left and while I was driving I wondered if I typed 2.40:1 or 2.70:1. Damn, I did type the wrong one! It closes far enough so protecting my screen has never been an issue here with my two Germans... Rocco & Duke...
LL

post #206 of 613 Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 PM

My Masquerade arrived last Friday and I love it! Setup was fairly easy but I had trouble with the directions as one set arrived with my screen and another with the Masquerade. I sent an IM to David for help and he called me right back.....at 9pm on a Friday night! Carada is fixing the instruction issue and once we made adjustments all is well.

I had NO IDEA that the mask would make such a big difference on the picture. Yes I had learned to ignore the grey bars. BUT the POP that the mask gives the image where the bars would usually intrude is just amazing. Watching 2.35 movies has never been better and I'm loving it

What I will be most curious about is how long the motor will last, and when it does wears out, can it be easily fixed? With such a big investment you definately want the product to work as advertised for a decade; not just a year or two. I watch a lot of movies & the motor will get quite a work out.
post #207 of 613 Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 PM

I had the same questions about the motor and David assured me that if you are a handy person it can be replaced easily. I believe he mentioned that it is the same motor manufacturer that stewart and da-lite use as well. I personally was comforted from the conversation I had with him. I did proceed with my order after that. Should be shipped tomorrow hopefully.

It kind of made me think of my garage door opener - it gets used all the time and its still going after 9 years of use. I don't think this will give out.
post #208 of 613 Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hey Niko I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your Masquerade! It is amazing how much difference the masking really makes isn't it? Again I apologize for the confusion with the instructions, and we'll definitely refine those a bit to make them more clear.

Quote:
What I will be most curious about is how long the motor will last, and when it does wears out, can it be easily fixed? With such a big investment you definately want the product to work as advertised for a decade; not just a year or two. I watch a lot of movies & the motor will get quite a work out.

That's a fair question because the Masquerade is a new product for us and it clearly doesn't have a long track record that we can point to. But we use a Somfy motor in the Masquerade and Somfy has an excellent track record. Somfy is the industry leader in tubular motors and their motors are used in the vast majority of high-end projection screen products on the market, including masking systems costing 5-10 times as much as the Masquerade (not to mention millions of window shades, blinds, awnings, and other high-end motorized home automation equipment) and they're known for being highly reliable. Obviously I can't say that the motor in your Masquerade will never die, but I seriously don't think you need to be overly concerned about it. Hopefully by the time that happens you'll be ready to upgrade to the Carada Personal HolodeckTM anyway.

David Giles

WWW.CARADA.COM

post #209 of 613 Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM

My masquerade arrived yesterday
I was up late installing it and got to play around with it a bit. Going back to work today on 5 hours sleep was hard.
I was blown away by the masquerade. I absolutely love it!!! My wife was impressed by the difference in the viewing experience as well. (That is a big statement coming from my wife).

David's help throughout the buying process was great as always - I was also very impressed with the great customer service Rex provided. This is a great company to deal with. I will post a full review in a couple of days along with pictures.
post #210 of 613 Old 02-08-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Masquerade Owners (or David Giles)...

Just out of curiosity, is the masking material that slides down to change aspect ratios the same "black hole" material used for the screen frame?

Thanks.
Reply Screens

Tags
Stewart , Criterion Collection , Projection Screens , Dalite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page