Don Stewart - which screen with StudioExperience Cinema 13HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-11-2001, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Thank you for all the time that you put into this forum. It makes a significant difference in lots of folks being able to figure out what to do.

My question relates to recommended screen size and type. From reading many threads from the past, it seems that the Greyhawk is the proper fabric for my application.

My questions are:
1. What screen size would you recommend in my situation
2. Do I have the rest of my understanding correct.

Room - 24x30 feet - Screen on the long wall. Walls will be painted a medium color with an off white ceiling, due to WAF.
Primary seating - ~14 feet back from screen
Projector - StudioExperience Cinema 13HD
Ambient Light - Room is multiuse, above ground, with opaque cellular shades in all windows. Light control should be good but not perfect.

Based on everything i have read, the Luxus A with Greyhawk material is the right choice. My question is what is the ideal screen size for my application. I am torn between the 100 and the 110.

Could you please comment with a screen size recommendation?
Is Greyhawk the proper choice in terms of material given my projector and room conditions?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-11-2001, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Your screen choice is perfect for your room and projector, don't worry! You should have enough light to accomodate a 110" screen with plently of brightness. From the measurements I've done the PLV-60 (and clones like the 13HD) get just over 1000 lumens, which is reasonably close to the spec. This should give you about 25 ft-lamberts on a 110" screen. This is pretty bright even if you have some ambient light. In fact, it may be bright enough that you want to turn on "cinema black" or the equivalent if it is available on the 13HD.

If you want the larger screen, you should have no problems. You could even go a bit larger if you wanted, although you may not want to use any "cinema black" type settings in that case.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #3 of 4 Old 11-12-2001, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the quick comment. I will definitely try the cinema black setting.

If you have any other tips on this combination of room, projector, and screen, your comments would be most welcome!

thanks!

Scott
post #4 of 4 Old 11-12-2001, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KFung
Your screen choice is perfect for your room and projector, don't worry! You should have enough light to accomodate a 110" screen with plently of brightness. From the measurements I've done the PLV-60 (and clones like the 13HD) get just over 1000 lumens, which is reasonably close to the spec. This should give you about 25 ft-lamberts on a 110" screen. This is pretty bright even if you have some ambient light. In fact, it may be bright enough that you want to turn on "cinema black" or the equivalent if it is available on the 13HD.

If you want the larger screen, you should have no problems. You could even go a bit larger if you wanted, although you may not want to use any "cinema black" type settings in that case.

Regards,

Kam Fung
Dear Sschnell,
I agree with Kam. He is right on with his calcs.
RegaRDS,
Don
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page