DIY acoustically transparent screen idea - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2001, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been planning on making a DIY screen from wood framing and 1/2" drywall as has been done successfully by many on this forum. However, I have been intrigued with the idea of an acoustically transparent screen and having my center channel, well, centered. I want to try and do both.

What I am thinking of doing is cutting out the center of the drywall screen and replacing it with an acoustically transparent, paintable material. Thus, most of the screen wouldn't have any of the problems of a acoustically transparent screen. And, if I can find an good 8%-10% loss material, I get my sound through without noticing much of a difference in birghtness in the center.

Here's the rub. What material could I use in the "center". Ideally, I think I would want to use something flat and stiff that could be shaped, inset, "mudded" into place, and then painted to provide an uninterrupted smooth screen. Something like the grill covers on an old portable stereo that protect the speakers. (This wouldn't work as the holes are too big, but you get the idea.) I would like to paint it to give the whole screen as consistant a gain as possible.

The other option would be to somehow use acoustically transparent screen material stretched nicely into place. But I don't have any ideas on getting it mounted properly, or know if it can be painted.

Possible problems:
-Painting the material would close all the holes.
-Visible interface with the rest of the screen.
-Noticeable difference in gain in center.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on possible materials that meet the specs? I think something with like 105 holes/sq. in. is about right?!?

Am I totally Off My Rocker, or what? :rolleyes: Any thoughts-comments-critiques-snide remarks are appreciated.

-nathan