bright dlp, studiotek130, white walls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2001, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i wanted to pick up on one of the comments that don stewart made on the recent sharp9000 thread.

i have a fully light-controlled smallish room (12' x 16' x 8'). on the 12 foot wall, i have a 80" x 45" studiotek130 screen. the pj (1000 ansi lumens) is about 14' back along the rear wall.

i painted out a shadow box (screen wall plus one foot out onto sides/ceiling in flat black. the rest of the room is off-white, eggshell finish.

my problem is that on a bright scene, i could literally read a book. the entire room is bright. in addition to annoying me (worse and worse, i would add), i would assume i am getting washout on the colors and black from reflected light.

so my question is do paint the entire room flat black (WAF here is stretching), or would a negative gain screen fix the problem?

also, any suggestion for "sopping up" light spray around the screen? the flat black still shows brighter when compared to the screen frame (velux).

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2001, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Robster,
I just got back in town and this is the first thread I have read. What you are describing is the classic room cross reflection problem. The indirect light bouncing off your walls is also ending up on your screen and reducing image contrast. With your screen size you may want to think Grayhawk. If you have a fixed screen this would be easy to change. Please advise and we will see if we can help. A screen fabric change would be heck of a lot easier than painting your room. I am sure your wife will also agree.
Regards,
Don
Old 11-15-2001, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don,

DWIN Transvision....your reccomendation at 120+inches?

Greg