Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2001, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don,

I am looking to purchase a NEC XG85 CRT projector and need advice on which screen to purchase. My room will be 14.5x25 and will consist of a dark grey ceiling, medium-dark blue walls, dark grey carpet, and a jet black screen wall. The projector will be ceiling mounted (ceiling is approx 7'8"high) with a throw distance of approx 110". I am looking at the SN92H (92" diagonal 16:9) and need advice on which material to select. I am considering the StudioTek 130, Ultramatte 150, and the Videomatte 200. I would like a higher gain screen to try and offset some ambient light when watching sports but I have complete light control of the room. What material would you recommend?

Also, I know you do custom screens sizes so can I assume that if I wanted a 96" diagonal 16:9 that the price would fall between the SN92H and the SN100H or are custom sizes a little more expensive?

Thanks.
Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2001, 07:13 PM

Gary,

I would use Videomatte 200. This material was developed for CRT projection and is considered moderate gain screen.

The pricing structure is based on screen square footage and lineal feet of frame material. I am at home and can not verify the price but you can call 800 762-4999 and get MSRP pricing. I think you will find that the street price will be less.

Regards,

DON
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2001, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Don,

Thanks for the recommendation. I want to use the videomatte 200 (2.0 gain or is it 1.8?). But a member in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=89418 said the screen texture can be visible at around 1 screen width. I sit only at 6.5' from a 5.5' wide (84" diag 4:3) screen. I use a Vutec 1.5 gain wall screen for 3 years now and my CRT projector XG85 is getting old at 1800 hours. I want a higher gain screen to release some pressure on the projector but I'm really afraid of visible screen texture. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
post #4 of 8 Old 11-16-2001, 08:19 AM
REW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Don,
What do you recommend for M8501LC in total blackout room for floor or low platform mount.Is screen tilt of say 15 degrees worth even trying for floor or ceiling mounts in terms of increased perceived brightness at viewers chair?I asume retroreflective(glass beaded)removes or(reduces) tilt need.Can finer glass beads come close to the resolution of say videomatte 200?What about pearlescent performance with gain of roughly 3.0?then curving it minimize colorshift/hotspot issues?Finally,is Torus for Ht the way to go not counting price?I believe that Kodak have stated this.thanks Ron

:cool:

Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!-only if its done by FET!"

post #5 of 8 Old 11-16-2001, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought the StudioTek 130 is the "standard" for CRT... I too have a XG85 and will be buying a Stewart screen soon too... more info will help.

Thanks,
Danny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-20-2001, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Bump! Sorry!

regards,

Li On
post #7 of 8 Old 11-20-2001, 06:36 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
LiOn:

I took a look at the thread in question, an looked closely. The issue at hand -regarding problems with the screen- had nothing to do with Don's product. I have never seen any of his screen materials misbehave in any manner, and I don't think he would let the screen out the door, if it in any way did have any problems. The (1.8 gain) Videomatte 200 screen material is an excellent one, if you wish to go to higher gain.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2001, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think I may be the one who said that the screen texture can be seen at one screen width . This is my front row and I use this position all the time for myself. This is very close to the screen by most peoples standards and one really can see texture only in uniform white ,large areas and very bright scenes at that. At the position right under the CRT( about 1.5 widths back) it can't be seen. I have an HT thats 16.5'x26' and there are no real off axis seating positions. The Videomatte is a wonderful product if you want a little more gain with very little trade off. Honestly I don't think one could be disappointed with this product even if you are used to the politically correct StudioTek.

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page