Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2001, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
REW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
:) Put up all sizes and sorts of screens in side by side demos.lo and behold the diffs are huge ,with attendant greyscale and color value variations.The white screens cant even get white close.Never mind greys.
Its about time the perfectionists here or even average forum member spoke out on this topic.Most screenguys cant-sales are at stake.
:)

Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!-only if its done by FET!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2001, 09:52 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes. This has always been a major concern of mine. I want no color skewing in a white screen. The color skewing can be due to color correction, and this can lead to a lack of proper contrast scaling in a given color range. Basically, it can skew the black level, and give a false impression of contrast depth, the same way a INVAR shadow mask and tinted dark tube can do with a direct view CRT.

It works, in a strange way, but pushes the CRT too hard. It prematurely ages the sets. The proper contrast scaling of a CRT is with the right set up, with a NTSC calibrated 'grayish' tube, and in dark room. THEN you get proper scaling, that isn't falsely skewed, so that EVERY scene looks 3-d like, which is NOT correct. I am not interested in pushing my CRT PJ too hard (because the screen is absorbing too much of it's output) to get a 'impression' a 3-d image.

I am trying very hard to find a way around this as a problem (and largely have), and it was amongst my very FIRST considerations when getting into the screen business.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.