Black Diamond from Screen Innovations? - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #271 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkizt View Post

Someone from minhembio.com who started a similar threasd like this one there emailed SI and asked, they said Black Diamond would be available in Europe end of April. (source, swedish - http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index...owtopic=194393)

Im sitting here in Sweden hoping for this to be in some demo room real soon... Seems to be the best thing since sliced bread and I cannot understand why this thread hasnt received more attention.

It probably has not received more attention because past light-rejecting screens could not get the job done, were not available over 100" diagonal, and were way overpriced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd View Post

It probably has not received more attention because past light-rejecting screens could not get the job done, were not available over 100" diagonal, and were way overpriced.

But that's the reason it SHOULD be getting more attention
post #273 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

Seems to be the best thing since sliced bread and I cannot understand why this thread hasnt received more attention.

Over the years, there have been a great many home theater products that seemed to be the best thing since sliced bread, only to turn out in actual practice to be more like New Coke.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #274 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 03:50 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tympani View Post

But that's the reason it SHOULD be getting more attention

I'm just glad I tuned into the thread and read enough of it to find out this item was likely to be much better than the other light-rejecting screens.
post #275 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 PM

...and Crystal Pepsi if I may say.

But seriously, this product could me a major advance by really mitigating one of the bigger disadvantages of front projection, namely light control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Over the years, there have been a great many home theater products that seemed to be the best thing since sliced bread, only to turn out in actual practice to be more like New Coke.

post #276 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Location: New York, New York (say it twice, we're kinda slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleo19 View Post

...and Crystal Pepsi if I may say.

But seriously, this product could me a major advance by really mitigating one of the bigger disadvantages of front projection, namely light control.

I like to think of myself more as a realist. I don't expect this to be manna from heaven in that it lets me watch in full day light. Who knows? Maybe I'll be as shocked as everyone. Physics is still physics and even though Boeing proved you can patent them, I believe light control will still be important. My ultimate, read realistic, hope for this is that it lets those of us with white walls and ceilings, be able to enjoy a good looking projection system. And if I get to watch it during the day with the blinds shut, or at night with a lamp on, then I'm all for that too!

Xbox Live: SubPrime Debt

post #277 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Liked: 11
sigh....I saw all the new posts today and got excited that there might be more info....
rats
Chris
post #278 of 3738 Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

sigh....I saw all the new posts today and got excited that there might be more info....
rats
Chris

I don't know if people typically get this excited about the release of a new screen, but I'd like to think we're doing a good job managing our anxiety!

post #279 of 3738 Old 04-12-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 196
"I don't expect this to be manna from heaven in that it lets me watch in full day light."

Right, let's not forget that even if the screen reflected zero ambient light, the image brightness may be competing with 100's or even 1000's of ft-L of brightness if sunlight is coming in.

Noah
post #280 of 3738 Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdesignshouston View Post

I personally haven't seen the screen. Both my business partner and another one of my best friends in the industry have seen the BD and were blown away. We sell the DNP Supernova and have used it in several different situations both where light is an issue and in dedicated media rooms. The Supernova, while a good screen does seem to hotspot badly at times. From what I understand, the BD does not.

The room we are using it in is a game room with several windows. We are doing motorized shades on the windows adjacent to the screen but the system will still be used during the day and with higher than normal light levels.

We are going to mount the projector as close as possible to the screen (9' for a 92") hoping for a little more light output.

I'll try and post pictures and feedback as soon as possible.

Thank you, hrs, for the comment on our website!

My suggestion is to show the client the image with the brightness settings maximized. Maximum zoom will help, but also put the bulb in high mode and set the display mode to dynamic. That way you'll both get to know the brightest the image can be and can maybe work down from there, depending on the clients preferences. The client might want to change settings from day to day to suit what's on the screen.

By the way, I asked SI about the motorized screens and learned the following: they don't know if 2.35:1 screens will be available in the motorized line, they expect 110" will be the largest 16X9 available in the motorized line, and they don't know the pricing of the motorized line yet.
post #281 of 3738 Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 AM

Has there been a release date announced for when a fixed frame screen will be generally available for purchase for those of us who can't get it direct from SI? (I'm in the US)
post #282 of 3738 Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master843 View Post

Has there been a release date announced for when a fixed frame screen will be generally available for purchase for those of us who can't get it direct from SI? (I'm in the US)

I believe it is towards the end of April. Give SI a call and they should be able to tell you.

post #283 of 3738 Old 04-13-2008, 12:16 PM

I was told by SI that they started selling screens last week and reached 300 units in the first three days.

Any lucky owner around to enlighten us?
post #284 of 3738 Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panosp View Post

I was told by SI that they started selling screens last week and reached 300 units in the first three days.

Any lucky owner around to enlighten us?

I've been pestering Shanon and Ryan on the date given to me of 4/18 for shipping. If true I should have it early part of next week.
post #285 of 3738 Old 04-14-2008, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I hope there will be an acoustically transparent version of the Black Diamond!

And I hope they will offer large 2.35:1 sizes in both fixed and motorized versions.

Looks like a great screen this one.

/Martin
post #286 of 3738 Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post

I hope there will be an acoustically transparent version of the Black Diamond!.

SI will have to believe there is enough demand for it and will have to believe it can be engineered without compromising the Black Diamond material too much. They want to concentrate on the motorized next, and selling larger seamed screens to commercial buyers, so it might be a way off before they would put any effort into it, if ever.

Quote:

And I hope they will offer large 2.35:1 sizes in both fixed and motorized versions.

Someone at SI told me they were looking into making larger screens with seams, but whether they will or not will depend on how well they can engineer it without compromising the screen. The current plan is for the 110" 16X9 to be the largest motorized and they don't know about 2.35:1 because of the width issues with the case. Even if they do make a motorized in 2.35:1, it's possible it will top out size-wise at smaller than anyone would buy.
post #287 of 3738 Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master843 View Post

April 18th is the planned ship date, SI said expect a week to 10 days to get to dealers...if no dealers in your area carry it and you're passing through central Texas you can schedule a private viewing at SI, or so they said. Just for reference, A&B TV in Austin is supposed to get the first demo model of the screen as its just down the road from SI and will be hand delivered, again, or so SI said.

Hope this helps...
post #288 of 3738 Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd View Post

SI will have to believe there is enough demand for it and will have to believe it can be engineered without compromising the Black Diamond material too much. They want to concentrate on the motorized next, and selling larger seamed screens to commercial buyers, so it might be a way off before they would put any effort into it, if ever.

Someone at SI told me the they were looking into making larger screens with seams, but whether they will or not will depend on how well they can engineer it without compromising the screen. The current plan is for the 110" 16X9 to be the largest motorized and they don't know about 2.35:1 because of the width issues with the case. Even if they do make a motorized in 2.35:1, it's possible it will top out size-wise at smaller than anyone would buy.

Thanks for the reply.

I have written to SI asking the same.

Their homepage states that the "Reference" model, motorized screen will be out Summer 2008, with Black Diamond as an option. And:

Screen formats available in 2.35:1, 4:3, and 16:9
Screen sizes available from 80- 160 diagonal

That's much larger than just 110", and 2.35:1 is mentioned.

Personally, I would need a 325cm wide 2.35:1 screen, motorized.

/Martin
post #289 of 3738 Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Their homepage states that the "Reference" model, motorized screen will be out Summer 2008, with Black Diamond as an option. And:

Someone at SI told me the current motorized line does not go any wider than 133 diagonal for the 16X9, and if you go into the screen calculator for the current motorized screen, you will see the drop down box for selecting screen size does indeed top out at 133. An option to calculate the specs for a 2.35:1 is not even offered. A 2.35:1 format motorized screen would be completely new as part of the new upcoming line, if they decide to go ahead with that format. The largest screen in the current motorized line, the 133 16X9, is only 116 wide, meaning they would have to be willing to go wider with the motorized case in the new line than they do in the current line in order to make the 2.35:1 screens wide enough to satisfy demand and they do not know if they want to go any wider yet. Personally, I would not be interested in a 2.35:1 screen any less than 10 ½ to 11 feet. If SI could go 6 wider on the case and make their 133 diagonal 2.35:1 available as a motorized screen, I would consider it, but since that would drop my 16X9 image down to 106.3, I would be more likely to go with the 110 16X9 instead. The 133 diagonal 2.35:1 would be about 122 wide. If you would drop your requirements down by about 5 width, that would give you what you desire.

Then there's the issue of the seam, which may limit the available size of the 16X9 to 113 diagonal and the 2.35:1 to 130.87 wide even in the fixed frame screens. A 325cm screen would not have a seam.
post #290 of 3738 Old 04-14-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

I was told by SI they are working to get the motorized screen to market in August of this year. Granted there may be set backs, shortages, etc. But I would not think we will see it before that time.

post #291 of 3738 Old 04-15-2008, 03:53 AM

We're also being told our demo unit will ship on the 18th. We're extremely excited to get the unit setup in our showroom.

Aaron S.
HIDEF Lifestyle
post #292 of 3738 Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Having finally coughed up the money for a Firehawk (albeit used), you have no idea how depressing this thread is.

Could someone please report a negative experience.
post #293 of 3738 Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM

lol
post #294 of 3738 Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

Having finally coughed up the money for a Firehawk (albeit used), you have no idea how depressing this thread is.

Um...I'm thinking...uh, I got nothing!

This is exactly why I haven't bought a new screen OR pj yet...these are exciting/scary times for home theater buffs...the advancements and price erosion are having a close race where all consumers eventually win!
post #295 of 3738 Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

Hmmmm....I have to wait until next Tuesday to pick mine up? Is that negative enough?
post #296 of 3738 Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM

h00kemh0rns: will you actually get yours on Tuesday?
post #297 of 3738 Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Today I looked at flights from Stockholm to Texas... Im going crazy...

Anyone know of a review or something, just something to get the edge off? :S
post #298 of 3738 Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Today I looked at flights from Stockholm to Texas... Im going crazy...

Anyone know of a review or something, just something to get the edge off? :S

h00kemh0rns reported the tech writer from InsightMedia was at the SI demo and was going to write an article about the Black Diamond on April 1st. Don't know what happened to that. It's kind of hard to find anything at their website.

You could always PM Jason and ask him to review the screen.
post #299 of 3738 Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM

Texas in two days... Central PA in one week... you should start seeing some major opinions very soon as long as they ship.

We're going to have ours displayed under a motorized Elite screen to showcase diference. Paired with a Cineversum Blackwing III projector (the JVC Dila Pro).

Aaron S.
HIDEF Lifestyle
post #300 of 3738 Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panosp View Post

h00kemh0rns: will you actually get yours on Tuesday?

Yes I had called Shannon and she said the very first ones were being shipped out starting on Friday. Both her and Ryan said I can pick mine up from the shop on Tuesday...so yes, I'll be one of the first to have the BD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Pure Acoustics Supernova C 250 Watt Center Speaker , Speaker Systems , Screen Innovations

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page