post #3601 of 3700 Old 05-15-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

I had a chance to see a 106" BD ZE 1.4 paired with a Sony VPL-HW55ES (high lamp mode) at a store in town. The sun shines through the windows through the front of the store, and this room was inside the store, with window wall open to the front of the store. The window wall is on the left side of the room. When viewing something darker than an animated movie (which they usually show in that room) - in this case Iron Man 2 - the BD does a decent job, when sitting in the prime position centered with the screen. Moving to the left side of the seating - close to the window wall - the picture looked the best. However, moving to the right of center - lined up with the right side of the screen, the picture was not good at all. It was very washed out. Seems like the light coming through the window is kind of angled out towards the right side, but even as close as the right edge of the screen, it looks pretty bad.

At home, we also have windows on the left side of the room. My wife was sitting in the seat lined up with the right side of the screen, so after we left the store, she shared her thumbs down on the screen. I think I've given up on a projector/screen for a TV. I'll either end up with a larger TV, or a TV for day time and a motorized screen/projector for night time.

Dave

That is what I do in my family room. I have a TV for daytime and a drop down screen for night time use. Makes for a good setup, since nearly all of the movie watching was done at night. No hope for projector use in the daytime in my family room, unless I get a projector with 5,000 lumens. I have 400SF of glass area in my family room and no curtains.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3700 Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

That is what I do in my family room. I have a TV for daytime and a drop down screen for night time use. Makes for a good setup, since nearly all of the movie watching was done at night. No hope for projector use in the daytime in my family room, unless I get a projector with 5,000 lumens. I have 400SF of glass area in my family room and no curtains.

Epson has the G6900 available with 6000L for around $6000. Pair the G series with a Black Diamond 115" Zero Edge and you have a 11K, 115" TV in your living room. We used 2 G series projectors at a very bright trade show recently on a 120" Black Diamond and a 120" Slate and I was amazed at the picture quality.
post #3603 of 3700 Old 05-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeSI View Post

Epson has the G6900 available with 6000L for around $6000. Pair the G series with a Black Diamond 115" Zero Edge and you have a 11K, 115" TV in your living room. We used 2 G series projectors at a very bright trade show recently on a 120" Black Diamond and a 120" Slate and I was amazed at the picture quality.

Hi Blake,

Two questions:

1) Was the 120" BD the .8 or the 1.4?

2) Pictures and/or video???

Thanks,
Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #3604 of 3700 Old 05-20-2014, 07:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi Blake,

Two questions:

Thanks,
Dave

1780004_707644769256258_124659511_o.jpg 156k .jpg file

This is in Dallas where I believe it is one of the bright new Epson projectors (G6900?) paired with a Zero Edge BD with tons of ambient light. It does look like a huge flat panel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1780004_707644769256258_124659511_o.jpg (155.9 KB, 53 views)
post #3605 of 3700 Old 05-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

1780004_707644769256258_124659511_o.jpg 156k .jpg file

This is in Dallas where I believe it is one of the bright new Epson projectors (G6900?) paired with a Zero Edge BD with tons of ambient light. It does look like a huge flat panel

Is it the .8 or the 1.4 BD?

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #3606 of 3700 Old 05-21-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Is it the .8 or the 1.4 BD?

Dave

Not sure but I believe it is the 1.4
post #3607 of 3700 Old 05-21-2014, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11

Unbiased Opinon of the 1.4 BD.

After looking at the videos for the BD for a few years and always wanting a giant screen, last month I finally decided the time was right to invest in a projector and a screen. Knowing I was going to be spending the better part of £3500 for the screen alone, I chose a good but not expensive projector - Epson 6100W (think its the same as the 5020 in the US?).

While i was mulling over the possibilities of the BD screen: 0.8. 1.4, 2.7, Slate and then the options of Zero Edge, Fixed frame, motorized.. I bought a very very cheap Optima 92" White 1.1 gain screen. I would have just used the wall but with alcoves next to the projected area, it wouldn't have been large enough.

I am in the unfortunate position of having windows directly to the side of the wall i want to project on. I also have no intention of sitting in a pitch black room with the summer upon us. I have entirely white walls and a white ceiling with a dark wood block floor. Due to this being a room we like to sit in of an evening (irrelevant to watching TV), I didn't want to paint it a dark colour just to assist a projector which might not even be on.

After searching around, I finally found a dealer who had a 1.4 Gain 103inch BD screen in their demo room (which in the UK was almost a miracle - especially being so close). The Dealer was mainly a High end Audio place, who just happened to have an Owner who was interested in Video as well - they didn't have a range of projectors nor a range of screens. the little cinema room they have setup is, in fairness a fairly honest example or how a home cinema would be. Spot lights above the screen a few standard lamps and a door on the back wall. This should have been an almost perfect showcase for the BD.

They turned on their projector (Panasonic PT-AT5000 1800-2000 normal/eco lumens) and played a blu-ray of the Dark Knight. This was a great example to test, lots and lots of dark shots.

Expecting the Moon, i was confronted by what to me seemed like a pretty bland and not very detailed image. The blacks were there and the Whites were there, but the subtleties in-between were flat - I will point out that the door was open letting in a fair amount of light and all the top and side lights were on - bright enough to read a book but not so much that it was even close to an ambiently lit room from a window during the day (the door at the back led to another room not the outside).

Being slightly disappointed but still very interested, I requested we move the screen to their audio demo Room, which had a nice bright window to the side (much like the room i wanted to use it in). Thankfully they had a Zero Edge (which looks stunning in its design) so picking it off the wall and moving it was a cake walk. we moved the projector into the other room too and powered it all up. again was very disappointed.

The images gdfein posted earlier:

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2328801/gdfeins-media-room-thread/

are a fair take on what i experienced as well. There is No way these screens can live up to the 900% contrast Hype.

I requested they bring a sample to my place to put against the white screen so i could fully make an educated decision on whether to get one or not.

We put the sample against the white £100 screen - and to my surprise initially it was hard to see much difference. The screen material being a mid grey made the black obviously darker, and the 1.4 gain kept the whites matching the high values of the 1.1 white screen. The problem was there was almost no image difference and detail between the mid values on both the cheap white screen and the 30 times more expensive BD. This caused a massive concern considering anything that wasn't either super bright or very very dark all mushed into a very flat looking image.

The biggest advantage the BD screen has is its Polarising effect. The best way i can describe it is, where you would normally be getting a reflective Sheen on a white (or other normal material) screen from the ambient light it was Matte - This does help a huge amount for seeing the little detail that was available, but even with this the remaining diffuse light was still enough to muddy the image so much it would be un-watchable for a good movie experience in the day.

Bizarrely to some, I am still interested in the BD screen, as with light control the extra details and contrast become visible, and the matte finish of the screen is very enticing. I am now at a point where I am going to have to spend some money doing exactly what i wanted to avoid - light controlling my room a fair amount.

Also I didn't notice any hot-spotting on the screen, but this might have been down to a fairly moderate lumen projector rather than the light cannons some folks have.

for anyone interested the amount of light in the room while I tested the screen was between 23-50 foot candles (the curtains are quite thin so light transmission varied a fair amount based on the sun position).

Cheers

Tim

post #3608 of 3700 Old 05-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROfu View Post

They turned on their projector (JVC 1800-2000 normal/eco lumens can't remember the Model off hand)...

Does JVC have any projectors that exceed 1300 lumens?

Dave

post #3609 of 3700 Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM

My mistaked it was a PT-AT5000, for some reason i thought it was JVC but in actuality its a Panasonic. Edited post ;)

post #3610 of 3700 Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Unbiased Opinon of the 1.4 BD.

After looking at the videos for the BD for a few years and always wanting a giant screen, last month I finally decided the time was right to invest in a projector and a screen. Knowing I was going to be spending the better part of £3500 for the screen alone, I chose a good but not expensive projector - Epson 6100W (think its the same as the 5020 in the US?).
While i was mulling over the possibilities of the BD screen: 0.8. 1.4, 2.7, Slate and then the options of Zero Edge, Fixed frame, motorized.. I bought a very very cheap Optima 92" White 1.1 gain screen. I would have just used the wall but with alcoves next to the projected area, it wouldn't have been large enough.
I am in the unfortunate position of having windows directly to the side of the wall i want to project on. I also have no intention of sitting in a pitch black room with the summer upon us. I have entirely white walls and a white ceiling with a dark wood block floor. Due to this being a room we like to sit in of an evening (irrelevant to watching TV), I didn't want to paint it a dark colour just to assist a projector which might not even be on.

After searching around, I finally found a dealer who had a 1.4 Gain 103inch BD screen in their demo room (which in the UK was almost a miracle - especially being so close). The Dealer was mainly a High end Audio place, who just happened to have an Owner who was interested in Video as well - they didn't have a range of projectors nor a range of screens. the little cinema room they have setup is, in fairness a fairly honest example or how a home cinema would be. Spot lights above the screen a few standard lamps and a door on the back wall. This should have been an almost perfect showcase for the BD.
They turned on their projector (Panasonic PT-AT5000 1800-2000 normal/eco lumens) and played a blu-ray of the Dark Knight. This was a great example to test, lots and lots of dark shots.
Expecting the Moon, i was confronted by what to me seemed like a pretty bland and not very detailed image. The blacks were there and the Whites were there, but the subtleties in-between were flat - I will point out that the door was open letting in a fair amount of light and all the top and side lights were on - bright enough to read a book but not so much that it was even close to an ambiently lit room from a window during the day (the door at the back led to another room not the outside).
Being slightly disappointed but still very interested, I requested we move the screen to their audio demo Room, which had a nice bright window to the side (much like the room i wanted to use it in). Thankfully they had a Zero Edge (which looks stunning in its design) so picking it off the wall and moving it was a cake walk. we moved the projector into the other room too and powered it all up. again was very disappointed.

The images gdfein posted earlier:
http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2328801/gdfeins-media-room-thread/

are a fair take on what i experienced as well. There is No way these screens can live up to the 900% contrast Hype.
I requested they bring a sample to my place to put against the white screen so i could fully make an educated decision on whether to get one or not.

We put the sample against the white £100 screen - and to my surprise initially it was hard to see much difference. The screen material being a mid grey made the black obviously darker, and the 1.4 gain kept the whites matching the high values of the 1.1 white screen. The problem was there was almost no image difference and detail between the mid values on both the cheap white screen and the 30 times more expensive BD. This caused a massive concern considering anything that wasn't either super bright or very very dark all mushed into a very flat looking image.
The biggest advantage the BD screen has is its Polarising effect. The best way i can describe it is, where you would normally be getting a reflective Sheen on a white (or other normal material) screen from the ambient light it was Matte - This does help a huge amount for seeing the little detail that was available, but even with this the remaining diffuse light was still enough to muddy the image so much it would be un-watchable for a good movie experience in the day.

Bizarrely to some, I am still interested in the BD screen, as with light control the extra details and contrast become visible, and the matte finish of the screen is very enticing. I am now at a point where I am going to have to spend some money doing exactly what i wanted to avoid - light controlling my room a fair amount.

Also I didn't notice any hot-spotting on the screen, but this might have been down to a fairly moderate lumen projector rather than the light cannons some folks have.

for anyone interested the amount of light in the room while I tested the screen was between 23-50 foot candles (the curtains are quite thin so light transmission varied a fair amount based on the sun position).

Cheers
Tim

I say this all the time Its Black Diamond not Black Magic. A 2000L projector on a 103" Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen requires 3000 lumens in order to maintain a recommended 30:1 contrast ratio. I know this because I used our screen wizard and the screen wizard recommended 3000L with a 1.4 gain Black Diamond material. So yes the image should have looked washed out with 30FC to 50FC (very very bright) and only 2000L projector. Use our tools on the web site as the tools always take into account the size of the screen, the amount of light in the room and the amount of lumens you will need in order to reach a recommended minimum contrast ratio given your type of project.
post #3611 of 3700 Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Not sure but I believe it is the 1.4

That is a 106" Black Diamond Zero Edge with 1.4 gain materials. The projector is an Epson 6030UB. The cookies are chocolate chip and oatmeal raison and they are AWSOME!!

The picture doesn't sell it but that is a pretty bright room. The floors at Starpower are pearl white and highly reflective with light coming in from the front entrance. You can see the three hanging lights in the image but behind the 3 lights, the back wall also has multi colored LED lights. We also have bright TV's left of the image yet still a very good glare free image on the BD.
post #3612 of 3700 Old 05-27-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Hi Blake,

Two questions:

Thanks,
Dave

The BD was 1.4 gain. I only use .8 in a 2:35 aspect ratio for dedicated theaters.
Both movies and still pictures were used.
post #3613 of 3700 Old 05-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeSI View Post

The BD was 1.4 gain. I only use .8 in a 2:35 aspect ratio for dedicated theaters.
Both movies and still pictures were used.

Hi Blake,

I think you may have misunderstood. I was wondering if there are any pictures and/or videos of the projector/screen combo that you had mentioned.

Thanks,
Dave

post #3614 of 3700 Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 AM

Hi Blake,

I appreciate your response.

Like i mentioned i also tested a sample in my living space with a 2300 lumens projector and a 92inch screen, Using the tool on your website and taking an average 25 foot candles of light (based on my personal room tests) According to the tool both for the projector and screen size - there should be more than enough Lumens coming from the projector (34:1 which is higher than your recommended 30:1) I agree when the room was very ambiently lit @ 50FC then I expected a drop in perceived contrast - but even at 30FC its still 28:1 rated.. this surely shouldn't have look washed out?

I wasn't expecting Black Magic, I was expecting better than what I saw. To reiterate though, there are very few products on the market that are comparable which is why i am still seriously considering buying one, I'm just not as in Awe as some people seem to have been previously in the thread.

Cheers

Tim

post #3615 of 3700 Old 05-28-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Now have pricing on the new 120" 16:9 and 150" 2.35 Black Diamond and Black Diamond Zero Edge. smile.gif

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3616 of 3700 Old 05-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Blake,

I appreciate your response.
Like i mentioned i also tested a sample in my living space with a 2300 lumens projector and a 92inch screen, Using the tool on your website and taking an average 25 foot candles of light (based on my personal room tests) According to the tool both for the projector and screen size - there should be more than enough Lumens coming from the projector (34:1 which is higher than your recommended 30:1) I agree when the room was very ambiently lit @ 50FC then I expected a drop in perceived contrast - but even at 30FC its still 28:1 rated.. this surely shouldn't have look washed out?
I wasn't expecting Black Magic, I was expecting better than what I saw. To reiterate though, there are very few products on the market that are comparable which is why i am still seriously considering buying one, I'm just not as in Awe as some people seem to have been previously in the thread.

Cheers
Tim

I did some testing with the 1.4 material and a 4500 lumen projector (with a brand new bulb), comparing with a 120" Da-Lite white screen. From the center seat, the BD 1.4 looked terrific! However, whether lights on or off, when sitting at one end of the screen, the other end looks dark. I can't even see text at the other end of the screen. I have to move towards the middle of the screen to see it. This is one of two things that I did not like about the BD. The other was that if a window is on one side of the room, then viewing from the end of the screen on the opposite side was not even viewable. That's what killed it for my wife, as she was sitting in that seat.

Dave

post #3617 of 3700 Old 05-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Experts,
I am in similar situation and looking for help.

I have a dedicated media room with dark carpet and dark walls. I can only go with a scree size of 92 inch as my room is relatively small. Would you recommend to use black diamond or would any screen be ok? I will be watching movies 50%, sports 20% and music 30%. Will there be a lot of difference between SI Slate or white screen VS black diamond?
post #3618 of 3700 Old 05-28-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple0621 View Post

Hello Experts,

I have a dedicated media room with dark carpet and dark walls. I can only go with a scree size of 92 inch as my room is relatively small. Would you recommend to use black diamond or would any screen be ok? I will be watching movies 50%, sports 20% and music 30%. Will there be a lot of difference between SI Slate or white screen VS black diamond?

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

post #3619 of 3700 Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

Hello Experts,

I would talk to Mike Garrett - he has a ton of experience and knowledge with this stuff.

post #3620 of 3700 Old 05-28-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Hello Experts,

In a dark room with good light control, a low gain. 8-1.1 white screen will provide the best color and viewing angles. If you really want that specific zero edge look there are few options, but if a standard fixed-frame screen is acceptable there's little reason to spend a lot when the best option in a dark room is also one of the least expensive.

Likewise, if you have ambient light problems such as a window or lights coming from behind the projector or fairly near it, not even a specialty screen can help.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #3621 of 3700 Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the reply, How about contrast, would that still be the same with a white Vs Grey or Black screen? I definitely love the zero edge look and want to go with a product like that., are there any alternatives than Screen innovations for small edge screens?
post #3622 of 3700 Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, How about contrast, would that still be the same with a white Vs Grey or Black screen? I definitely love the zero edge look and want to go with a product like that., are there any alternatives than Screen innovations for small edge screens?
In a dedicated room such as yours the contrast will be the same or better with a white screen.
The contrast boost from a specialty screen such as the BD only happens in rooms with light/ambient-light near sides/ceiling/floor that would otherwise wash out the image by hitting the screen and ruining your dark scenes. The BD (and others like it) use narrow viewing angles so that light from other sources reflect off toward the opposite side instead of toward the middle seat where the viewer likely is.
In your room, you don't have a bunch of extra light washing out your dark scenes, so the BD has nothing to assist..and its relatively narrow viewing angles can make those sitting to one side or the other have a bad movie experience. Even the center seat can notice a bit of darkening at the sides and especially the corners of some images.

The thin black bezel is probably not too hard to find, but the free-standing, dark-ish look it has when lights are on will likely not be found elsewhere. The thing is, your room sounds like it's more dedicated to having a great "lights off/down" movie experience, rather than a pre-movie "that's a cool looking room" followed by a compromised picture.
The DB ZE in white probably offers a good theater white screen AND that ultra-thin bezel you are looking for. However, do you think that thin bezel will look as nice surrounding a plain white screen as it does around their dark screens? I believe a white screen will look pretty bland with lights on no matter what the bezel looks like, BUT it WILL provide the best movie experience.

In short, I wouldn't compromise the picture when you've already done so much for your room, you won't see the bezel when lights are dimmed, and it won't look nearly as stylish on a white screen anyway..so I wouldn't worry about the bezel specifics.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #3623 of 3700 Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

In a dedicated room such as yours the contrast will be the same or better with a white screen.
The contrast boost from a specialty screen such as the BD only happens in rooms with light/ambient-light near sides/ceiling/floor that would otherwise wash out the image by hitting the screen and ruining your dark scenes. The BD (and others like it) use narrow viewing angles so that light from other sources reflect off toward the opposite side instead of toward the middle seat where the viewer likely is.
In your room, you don't have a bunch of extra light washing out your dark scenes, so the BD has nothing to assist..and its relatively narrow viewing angles can make those sitting to one side or the other have a bad movie experience. Even the center seat can notice a bit of darkening at the sides and especially the corners of some images.

The thin black bezel is probably not too hard to find, but the free-standing, dark-ish look it has when lights are on will likely not be found elsewhere. The thing is, your room sounds like it's more dedicated to having a great "lights off/down" movie experience, rather than a pre-movie "that's a cool looking room" followed by a compromised picture.
The DB ZE in white probably offers a good theater white screen AND that ultra-thin bezel you are looking for. However, do you think that thin bezel will look as nice surrounding a plain white screen as it does around their dark screens? I believe a white screen will look pretty bland with lights on no matter what the bezel looks like, BUT it WILL provide the best movie experience.

In short, I wouldn't compromise the picture when you've already done so much for your room, you won't see the bezel when lights are dimmed, and it won't look nearly as stylish on a white screen anyway..so I wouldn't worry about the bezel specifics.

Thanks for the info. Will i be able to add the LED back lights on a regular bezel screen? I liked the floating effect and contrast help for black bars (when not playing in 16:9) which the LED lights provide on the zero edge screens.
post #3624 of 3700 Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Will i be able to add the LED back lights on a regular bezel screen? I liked the floating effect and contrast help for black bars (when not playing in 16:9) which the LED lights provide on the zero edge screens.
Oh definitely. Lots of folks have enjoyed backlights behind and/or around screens of all kinds. Once again, your dark colored room should make that backlight look really nice.

If the backlight/thin-bezel look is hard to find at a reasonable price, you might try finding a bezel-less white screen and either adding your own very thin felt bezel OR letting the backlights hide the tiny bit of overspray (something backlights do very well) and having an absolutely floating look to your screen with no visible bezel.

post #3625 of 3700 Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM

I just purchased a 120 inch BD 1.4 zero edge to go with my Epson 5030.

The walls in my projector room are not completely square. Due to an oddity in the design of my house the projector wall is about 2.5 degrees out of perpendicular from the long axis of my viewing room.

The throw distance of my projector is about 18 feet. If I want to place the projector directly in line with the screen, the PJ is about 9 inches out of line with the center of the viewing location in order to compensate for this angle.

My question is, given these limitations, am I better placing the projector exactly in the middle of the viewing location and using the image shift to correct for the 9 inch difference? Or am I better off placing the projector at dead center without any image shift? I guess I am wondering how accurate a retro-reflector the screen is?

I hope this makes sense. I realize that 2.5 degrees is not likely to have a big effect, but I have complete control over the placement right now, so I would like to get it right.
post #3626 of 3700 Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 AM

I've been researching projector screens for my BenQ1070, but feel totally overwhelmed by the choices. I presently have a Draper Luma matt white screen which is now too small because of the short throw of the BenQ

Here are my requirements:

12' wide screen (don't mind if 4:3 or 16:9)

Projector is just behind and 1-2' above our heads, and the projection angle is completely adjustable vertically

Has to be manual pull down

Screen hangs from ceiling on small chains so can be any height

Throw is 14'

The room has very light walls which cannot be changed

Usually used at night, so not too much external ambient light, although we do sometimes do daylight viewing

Budget <$1000

I've seen a Da-Lite High Power 2.8 9x12 which is available, but am worried about it being too bright, although the brightness can be turned down on the BenQ. The vewing angle is probably fine. The Draper screen choice site suggests Contrast Grey or Pearl white, but the former has bad reviews while the latter has none.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

post #3627 of 3700 Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 AM

You might want to start a different thread armbradbury - as I'm guessing only people who have or are interested in Black Diamond screens will respond in this thread (as thats what its about) I don't think there are any of the black diamond screens that come even close too $1000 at the size you want, also due to the nature of the black diamond and its relative screens they don't perform best on a short throw. 

Ftoast likes this.
post #3628 of 3700 Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really wish SI would come out with a projector screen akin to the dnp Supernova Flex Classic. The admittedly awesome wire suspension motorized model is fantastic but at the price point, I suspect quite a few customers looking for ambient light solutions would like the performance of the BD in a less expensive package.
post #3629 of 3700 Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post

I really wish SI would come out with a projector akin to the dnp Supernova Flex Classic. The admittedly awesome wire suspension motorized model is fantastic but at the price point, I suspect quite a few customers looking for ambient light solutions would like the performance of the BD in a less expensive package.

I absolutely agree!! I'm probably going to go with a TV for daytime use, and an ambient light screen w/projector for evening and night time use. That means I need a motorized screen. A DNP motorized 100" .85 screen is less than 1/2 the cost of the BD motorized screen. I don't care about the fancy wires - just give me a typical motorized screen for much less $$$. Without that option, I think SI is losing some of that business.

Dave

post #3630 of 3700 Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I absolutely agree!! I'm probably going to go with a TV for daytime use, and an ambient light screen w/projector for evening and night time use. That means I need a motorized screen. A DNP motorized 100" .85 screen is less than 1/2 the cost of the BD motorized screen. I don't care about the fancy wires - just give me a typical motorized screen for much less $$$. Without that option, I think SI is losing some of that business.

Dave

Part of the problem, to get a less expensive screen, you get rid of the tab tensioning system. That means that you can expect wrinkling and curling of the screen. So there are trade offs to get that lower price point.

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Pure Acoustics Supernova C 250 Watt Center Speaker , Speaker Systems , Screen Innovations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page