post #3661 of 3689 Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Here are a couple screenshots from a BD promo video. Noting that the both are from the same scene, see how the image changes depending on the viewing angle? When viewed straight-on the top corners are much darker than the rest of the image, but when viewed slightly from the left the top/left corner brightens as the top/right darkens further. Look how dingy and dirty the mountain on the right side looks in the angled shot compared to the straight one. This problem with viewing angles on the BD screen material will happen no matter what your room's lighting situation is.

Here is a rough example of what can be expected with a plain white screen/wall in a somewhat dimly lit room. This is using a screen-size larger than yours (105"-110") and a much dimmer 400lumen projector.
The darker parts of the image are still fairly discernible, the only artifacts present are from a small bit of sunlight directly hitting the right side of the screen, and it costs about $2000 less, as will a fixed-frame smooth white screen.

With the 1070 and a 90" screen, you can expect to be about 4X brighter than this.
You can't judge that from screen shots. The light hitting the camera from the second location is different from the light hitting the camera in the first location. That alone will change the image being shot.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3689 Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
You can't judge that from screen shots. The light hitting the camera from the second location is different from the light hitting the camera in the first location. That alone will change the image being shot.
That would be true if I was comparing the second set to the first, but I am not.

The first is comparing the two shots of the BD to show how viewing angle changes (even very small ones) affect its corner and edge dimming characteristics. Help those that haven't seen one in person get an idea of how spotlight-y they tend to look. The lighting situation is inconsequential, I just needed a shot of the same scene from two different angles (though using the sun as a backlight in a dark surrounding room is easy for any screen as it isn't fighting any light against the surface).

The second set is just a rough example of a simple white screen in a totally non-light-controlled room, for which the previous poster can expect various improvements due to their combination of more lumens, smaller screen, and advanced curtain technology. ..or simple curtain technology. ..any, really.

If upon a second look you still think having both sets in the same post is a bit misleading or might confuse people, let me know and I'll split it up as two separate posts.

Last edited by Ftoast; 06-26-2014 at 01:11 PM.
post #3663 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have to agree with Ftoast, after seeing a few BD's in person. In fact, it's easily seen with samples as well. If I am sitting in a seat that aligns with the left side of the screen (at viewing distance), the right side of the screen will be darkened. As I move to the center, the right side is lightened and becomes clearer.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #3664 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
That would be true if I was comparing the second set to the first, but I am not.

The first is comparing the two shots of the BD to show how viewing angle changes (even very small ones) affect its corner and edge dimming characteristics. Help those that haven't seen one in person get an idea of how spotlight-y they tend to look. The lighting situation is inconsequential, I just needed a shot of the same scene from two different angles (though using the sun as a backlight in a dark surrounding room is easy for any screen as it isn't fighting any light against the surface).

The second set is just a rough example of a simple white screen in a totally non-light-controlled room, for which the previous poster can expect various improvements due to their combination of more lumens, smaller screen, and advanced curtain technology. ..or simple curtain technology. ..any, really.

If upon a second look you still think having both sets in the same post is a bit misleading or might confuse people, let me know and I'll split it up as two separate posts.
I am not talking about the first set of pictures vs the second set of pictures. I am talking about the first picture vs the second picture. One is taken from a different location. The second picture has a lot more light hitting the camera lens, so adjustment to the camera is different. Look out the window in both of those two pics. In the second one, everything outside is washed out. The exposure is different in those two pics. Only time you can use pics to demonstrate anything, is if everything is identical. Clearly in this case, they are not.

I am not saying that the image does not look different as you view it off angle. That happens with any screen with gain. Just that you can't go by these pics and say that it clearly shows this.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3665 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I have to agree with Ftoast, after seeing a few BD's in person. In fact, it's easily seen with samples as well. If I am sitting in a seat that aligns with the left side of the screen (at viewing distance), the right side of the screen will be darkened. As I move to the center, the right side is lightened and becomes clearer.

Dave
I agree. That happens with any screen with gain. My disagreement is the pictures will be different due to the light difference hitting the lens of the camera. Now if the room was a light controlled room and the picture was taken from the side, then it would be less of an issue. Just look outside in the second pic. Everything is washed out.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #3666 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree. That happens with any screen with gain. My disagreement is the pictures will be different due to the light difference hitting the lens of the camera. Now if the room was a light controlled room and the picture was taken from the side, then it would be less of an issue. Just look outside in the second pic. Everything is washed out.
Actually, the 2.3 gain screen from DNP is nearly devoid of that issue. It's amazing how good the .8 and the 2.3 DNP screens are in this regard.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #3667 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Actually, the 2.3 gain screen from DNP is nearly devoid of that issue. It's amazing how good the .8 and the 2.3 DNP screens are in this regard.

Dave
The 0.8 is not a screen with gain. It is below 1. The 2.3 does a good job, but like any screen with gain, off axis effects it also.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #3668 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This light-controlled shot shows the same behavior where even a very slight shift to one side makes the opposite side noticeably dimmer while shifting the hotspot towards the viewer. I understand this is a somewhat common quality of HIGH gain screens, but the point is that not only do different gain variations behave better/worse but so do different brands and builds. The BD is one of the worse performers in this area.
I believe the user that posted this picture earlier stated the projector was outputting around 800lumens, not exactly a light cannon.
The BlackDiamond material is especially prone to viewing angle problems. It is the nature of a high-gain screen, especially using a dark base and it is required for it to fight room lights from the near left/right. It is a viable choice for those with a situation (with too much non-switchable non-dimming light from the near sides), but a VERY poor thing to suggest to anyone that can control ambient light from the near sides.

There are screen materials made to primarily fight light from above (where most fixtures are located) that do not suffer side viewing angle problems nearly this bad.

There are slightly lesser gain and/or lighter-base screens (by SI too, obviously) that offer a less compromised image.

I firmly and wholly believe that anyone suggesting the BD material be used in a light-controlled room is performing a massive disservice to any reader either new or naive enough to listen.

I wish I had different angles for this same shot. Nevertheless, it looks like there's a giant spotlight on the field, the far side is dingy compared to the closer and the corners are fading to black.

I'm sorry to get so worked up over such a simple thing as a screen, but these are NOT inexpensive and there are some unknowing folks with decent rooms getting taken for a lot of money.
The BD is possibly one of the most niche tuned screens out there and instead of being used and sold to its purpose, it's being marketed like some magical "everyman" device which it simply and very much is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900x900px-LL-ccbb66fa_image-1.jpeg
Views:	1044
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	142658  

Last edited by Ftoast; 06-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #3669 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

I might be wrong, but I thought the above image was with the .8 BD screen and the Sony VW600ES projector.

Dave

post #3670 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
thezaks - You are correct. Ftoast is using a picture I posted.

All; please keep in mind the photo is taken with my iphone. It is 0.8 BD ZE.

See thread -> GDFein's Media Room Thread

post #3671 of 3689 Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Ah, in that case it I should probably correct an earlier misconception, there IS such a thing as a below 1 screen WITH high gain and the BD at .8 is a good example that it exists.

Think of it in terms of two equally dark surfaces where one is flat black and the other is a higher-gloss black. The gloss black will have a much brighter on-axis picture because of its increased gain (even though it is still darker than a neutral white screen when both are on-axis), and it will have terrible hotspotting problems.

If a screen has no added gain properties, a very light grey (off-white) will have a .8 gain surface. Because most "grey" screens are dark enough to visually recognize as grey, yet it is very uncommon to see a screen below .8 it can be concluded that a majority of grey screens (including those of .8) DO have gain and will exhibit a certain amount of high-gain properties.

It is important to realize that gain in relation to a lambertian (flat) surface has more of a logarithmic falloff as the surface becomes darker. A perfect white reflects 100% of light hitting it (real world white will reach the low 90%'s), a middle grey that appears halfway between black and white only reflects around 18% of light hitting it (that's .18 gain) which means it requires an enormous gain boost of 400% to get near a reading of .8 gain! Some of these darker screens are starting with a base that's even lower. Think of it in terms of a bright white screen that has a gain around 4 or 5 and you'll start to have an idea of what you're dealing with.

By the way gdfein, I may not think the BD makes sense in a dark room but that backlighting still looks pretty nice.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-01-2014 at 05:22 AM.
post #3672 of 3689 Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I agree - grey screens with less than 1 gain probably still have to add gain to get to .8. Makes you wonder how the DNP folks do it with their .8 screen - it's off axis is absolutely amazing, with nearly zero hotspotting. Their 2.3 screen is nearly as good too. Both are much better than the BD in this regard. I wish that DNP had a screen between the .8 and the 2.3 - it would be the sweet spot.

Dave

post #3673 of 3689 Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree - grey screens with less than 1 gain probably still have to add gain to get to .8. Makes you wonder how the DNP folks do it with their .8 screen - it's off axis is absolutely amazing, with nearly zero hotspotting. Their 2.3 screen is nearly as good too. Both are much better than the BD in this regard. I wish that DNP had a screen between the .8 and the 2.3 - it would be the sweet spot.
Dave
I'm not sure which method DNP uses, but it is possible with reflective particle alignment, filter/lensing, and careful texturing (any single one or a combination) to attain most/all of a screen's gain from the vertical axis rather than limiting viewing angles of both horizontal and vertical. I have an antique rollup that uses a dead simple combination of silver reflective particles and a vertical wave (tight and shallow enough to rarely cause artifacts) so it spreads its horizontal viewing area while keeping a high gain (and dark surface) from its limited vertical angles which only affects viewing when you stand out of a chair or sit on the floor (neither recommended for prolonged viewing..so it's a smart trade-off).

With a wider side-viewing angle you lose much of the ability to fight lights from near sides, but it's fairly uncommon to have a near-side lighting problem in any indoor location that isn't an office building. Most theater rooms will have lamps or cans near the seating and pointed specifically away from the screen in the first place. You DO retain the added brightness from a high gain screen as well as the ability to fight near, overhead lighting.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-01-2014 at 10:33 AM.
post #3674 of 3689 Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I ceiling hung my pure white zero edge yesterday, 110" 16x9.

It's in a room where no ambient light hits it directly. I am happy with its performance, no hot spotting, sharp/clear image with my cheapo Epson 8530 LCD. Gaming setup.

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).

Last edited by elmalloc; 07-02-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #3675 of 3689 Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Looks great! What color are your walls/ceiling in that room? How does it look with any room lighting?

Thanks,
Dave

post #3676 of 3689 Old 07-05-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Hi Dave,

I'll take pictures when I get home.

It's not my main theater room setup, basically a dedicated gaming setup.

• Walls have floor to ceiling drapes (the front 3ft is beige, the rest is burgundy/dark red). Ceiling is white!
  • I'll take a picture withlighting on, but the Black Diamond is meant for setups like that
  • The back wall has no drapes, it's white. I will consider putting drapes there, but I'll have to get creative with the design so the projector doesn't overheat
  • The front wall has the screen hanging just off the corner lip, I don't think I have enough room to hang drapes behind the screen. It might make the room basically almost fully enclosed from ambient light (from the foyer). Thoughts on how to do that?

Thanks,
ELmO

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #3677 of 3689 Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just finished updating our media room. Here it is during the day with all the lights on.

Another view

post #3678 of 3689 Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradC View Post
I just finished updating our media room. Here it is during the day with all the lights on.

Another view

Conrad, it looks very nice. Looks like you have a 115" flat panel on the wall.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #3679 of 3689 Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Conrad, it looks very nice. Looks like you have a 115" flat panel on the wall.
Thanks Mike and thanks for the great deal! This little project of mine catapulted in to updating our first floor decor just to match our updated media room.

post #3680 of 3689 Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

What screen/projector do you have? Is the lamp in high or low lamp mode?

Thanks,
Dave

post #3681 of 3689 Old 08-04-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That's the best I've ever seen a BD display look. What is your lens to screen throw distance? Looks like an Epson 5030UB that you're using?
post #3682 of 3689 Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
What screen/projector do you have? Is the lamp in high or low lamp mode?

Thanks,
Dave
I've have the Black Diamond 1.4 gain and Epson 5030UB. In the photo, I believe I have the lamp on Normal (there's an Eco mode) and the Color Mode is on Living Room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eydsamoht View Post
That's the best I've ever seen a BD display look. What is your lens to screen throw distance? Looks like an Epson 5030UB that you're using?
Thanks. The screen works well in my environment. Love it! The projector is 16.5' from the screen. Original plan was for 15' but I encountered some strange ceiling studs patterns.

post #3683 of 3689 Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradC View Post
...Epson 5030UB...I have the lamp on Normal (there's an Eco mode) and the Color Mode is on Living Room.
How's the fan noise on the projector in that mode?

Dave

post #3684 of 3689 Old 08-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
How's the fan noise on the projector in that mode?

Dave
Not silent. It's white noise fortunately, and not buzzy like some computer CPU fans. When I run in "normal" mode the fan is obvious. For a multipurpose living room, it's acceptable but you're reminded in any quiet scene that the projector is on. For a dedicated theater, I would strongly consider a hush box for the 5030UB. When I run in "eco" mode, the noise is pretty forgettable and I don't have any complaints.
post #3685 of 3689 Old 08-05-2014, 06:23 AM

Liked: 12

Name:	IMG_6494.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	197457

Name:	10349897_10152568861418459_1526184676434382816_n.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	197465

Name:	IMG_6497.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	197473

Name:	IMG_6385.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	197489

Name:	palliser-autobahn-white-leather-seating.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	197497

Here a few pics of my new screen. It's a 120" 16:9 BD Zero Edge with the LED kit. I have it paired with a Sony VPL-HW55ES projector. The pics are terrible and the picture quality even with drapes wide open and tons of sunlight is nothing short of stunning.

Last edited by drjay71; 08-05-2014 at 06:32 AM.
post #3686 of 3689 Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have searched all over to no avail... Does anyone have an aftermarket LED suggestion? I'm a sucker... But not a $500 SI light kit sucker.

Thank you!
post #3687 of 3689 Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Jolla View Post
I have searched all over to no avail... Does anyone have an aftermarket LED suggestion? I'm a sucker... But not a $500 SI light kit sucker.

Thank you!
You should PM the user named MississippiMan. I've seen him mention some suggestions for the light kits.

Dave

post #3688 of 3689 Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
You should PM the user named MississippiMan. I've seen him mention some suggestions for the light kits.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I ended up ordering a $30 kit from Newegg... It even comes with the same Lumina remote as the SI kits.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-013-_-Product

I'll report back. For $30, it was more than worth the chance. Hopefully the LEDs have some uniformity.
post #3689 of 3689 Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM

I can't seem to program my remote for the LED. I'm not exactly sure how to read the HEX codes that come with documentation. Does anyone have the full HEX codes (properly formatted and ready to go)? Thanks so much in advance!!

BTW, this is what I've tried.

For example to power on the LED it states to use:
20 13 40 BF

So I assume it would be:
900A 006D 0000 0001 2013 40BF

Or something EventGhost can use:
0000 006C 0022 0002 015B 00AD 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0041 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0041 0016 0041 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0041 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0016 0041 0016 0016 0016 0041 0016 0041 0016 0041 0016 0041 0016 0041 0016 0041 0016 0016 0016 0041 0016 0699 015B 0057 0016 0EA3

Am I doing this correctly or am I completely off?

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Pure Acoustics Supernova C 250 Watt Center Speaker , Speaker Systems , Screen Innovations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page