Black Diamond from Screen Innovations? - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #3811 of 3812 Old Today, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Originally Posted by jwithing View Post
Hey guys, I've read through a ton of this thread and am now more confused than before. I am buying a new house and leaving my old setup. I could use some expertise in picking the best setup for my needs.

I am looking at picking up an Epson 5030UB to replace my Optoma HD25e. The dilemma I am facing is deciding which screen to get. I though I was settled on a Black Diamond .8 gain, but not sure if I should go for the 1.4 or the SLATE instead. My room is the basement, 155 inches wide and approximately 30 feet deep with a pool table on the far side. There are no windows and the double french door is on the far side by the pool table, so sunlight shouldn't be a big concern. I really want ALR so that I can entertain with the lights on. Lighting is 8 recessed lights and a pool table light.

Any recommendations for slate vs black diamond and the gain? I wanted the Black Diamond for the optimum ALR quality and I thought the .8 gain made the screen more black and looked really cool, more like a tv. I'm planning on viewing distance being 12 feet and a 4 person theater seating system. I thought .8 gain would reduce the risk of hot spotting and thought the epson would provide plenty of light.

The price isn't really a concern, but if the quality differences aren't very apparent, I could use a thousand dollar saving for an outdoor tv.

Thanks in advance!
The long/narrow room with the screen at the far end will not see much benefit from an ALR screen when most/all of the ambient light will be coming from the same exact angle as the projector.

You'll have better luck going with a more modestly priced and less aggressive screen while working to keep those lights directed downward and off the screen. Narrow spot-bulbs, dimmer switches, dark-colored walls (and ceiling if least near the screen)..this is where your effort should focus the strongest.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Sponsored Links
post #3812 of 3812 Old Today, 05:08 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That's definetely not at all what I was expecting. Thank you for your honest input. Are you saying it would be overkill or just completely worthless to go with an ALR screen all together? I plan on upgrading the recessed lights, so I can go more directional, and using remote controlled dimmers, but not too keen on dark walls or ceiling. Is there a different screen that you would recommend? Im not worried about the price/going overkill, but if its pointless, I definitely would like to persue better options. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Reply Screens

Projection Screens , Pure Acoustics Supernova C 250 Watt Center Speaker , Speaker Systems , Screen Innovations