Black Diamond from Screen Innovations? - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #3871 of 3901 Old 12-31-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Depends on the color of your walls and ceilings. Anything besides black will absorb less light and have a higher degree of reflection.
The ceiling is likely going to be a dark color (almost black - dark grey). The walls we're undecided on. All of it will be dark, deep colors, though. I feel like I could never make a truly informed decision...

Need to figure out "movie room" paint, too...

Last edited by WilliamG; 12-31-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3901 Old 12-31-2015, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
The ceiling is likely going to be a dark color (almost black - dark grey). The walls we're undecided on. All of it will be dark, deep colors, though. I feel like I could never make a truly informed decision...

Need to figure out "movie room" paint, too...
Black would be best. Dark grey would be close. All in all, the Stewart 100 would be your most accurate option in a dark room with dark walls, ceilings etc. Bringing in any alr screen will introduce some degree of artifacts.

The S.I. Pure White is a very good screen. However the Stewart ST 100 is the industry standard which other screens are measured by in testing, comparisons, etc. And the two screens are in the same price category. So of course I am going to recommend going with the industry benchmark screen which is widely recognized to be the most accurate screen available.

Last edited by Swolephile; 12-31-2015 at 01:20 PM.
post #3873 of 3901 Old 12-31-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Black would be best. Dark grey would be close. All in all, the Stewart 100 would be your most accurate option in a dark room with dark walls, ceilings etc. Bringing in any alr screen will introduce some degree of artifacts.

The S.I. Pure White is a very good screen. However the Stewart ST 100 is the industry standard which other screens are measured by in testing, comparisons, etc. And the two screens are in the same price category. So of course I am going to recommend going with the industry benchmark screen which is widely recognized to be the most accurate screen available.
Perfect. Thank you. Now I need to figure out how much a 110" diagonal ST 100 screen with LEDs will cost me.
post #3874 of 3901 Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 PM

I've looked at seven used Black Diamond Zero Edge screens over the last two weeks. All have dents that start behind the screen and look like bubbles on the screen. I am just not understanding how this is also happening to their rigid one piece zero edge screens?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_43711.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1170858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_64821.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1170866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1170874  

Last edited by Swolephile; 01-07-2016 at 09:30 PM.
post #3875 of 3901 Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
I've looked at seven used Black Diamond Zero Edge screens over the last two weeks. All have dents that start behind the screen and look like bubbles on the screen. I am just not understanding how this is also happening to their rigid one piece zero edge screens?
Bubbles on the rigid screen? I don't see how that would even be possible.
post #3876 of 3901 Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
Bubbles on the rigid screen? I don't see how that would even be possible.
Just posted pics of a few of the screens I saw with this blemish. I am also baffled by how this is happening to their rigid zero edge screens.
post #3877 of 3901 Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just posted pics of a few of the screens I saw with this blemish. I am also baffled by how this is happening to their rigid zero edge screens.
I wouldn't let that sway my buying decision. You'd have to somehow hit the back of the screen with something to cause that I'd think.
post #3878 of 3901 Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't let that sway my buying decision. You'd have to somehow hit the back of the screen with something to cause that I'd think.
Well I was going to buy a demo or used one. However each preowned one I've looked at has this bubble blemish somewhere on the screen.
post #3879 of 3901 Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I was going to buy a demo or used one. However each preowned one I've looked at has this bubble blemish somewhere on the screen.
oh
post #3880 of 3901 Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
oh
Yeah Im going to have to buy a new screen. My fixed frame Black Diamond got the same dent/bubble blemish during delivery. I thought the rigid zero edge would be immune to this kind of blemish. Looks like I was wrong.

Last edited by Swolephile; 01-08-2016 at 02:42 PM.
post #3881 of 3901 Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Yikes! I already had reasons for preferring other ALR screens over the BD, but I'll add this one to the list.

Dave
post #3882 of 3901 Old 01-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Continuing SI Pure White discussion

I hate to continue to drag this old thread on, but the recent posts are right in my query zone. I just installed a new JVC RS600 projector. I've had a very good 8" CRT shooting a 90" diagonal 16:9 Draper M1300 motorized screen for many years. I moved during those years and had room in my new AV cabinetry for a larger screen, but burn in lines on CRT tubes prevented switching. With that constriction lifted, I want to fit all the screen I can. With Stewart, the max I can fit is 100" diagonal. The length of the weight rod is my limiting factor. If I went with Draper again I could fit 102". But, my older Draper screen has picked up visible horizontal lines from the roller mechanism and is also not opaque. I have a daytime 80" LCD right behind it, which I am sure is backlighting the screen and degrading contrast to some degree. I hear the new Draper material is basically the same. With SI I can fit a 106" screen. That is a lot more surface, making me lean toward them even though I am a bit leery of their excess marketing hype and a lack of any real data on their screens, nor ISF certifications and so on. So is their any reason I should avoid the SI Pure White relative to Stewart or other alternatives?

BTW, I have poor light control in the room, which is why I have the daytime LCD. I even have reflection and glare problems with it from the large north facing windows on the wall behind the projector (opposite end from screen). So we have gotten used to using the projector only when it is dark outside. Room itself fairly dark otherwise. Darker wall and ceiling paint and ceiling is tall cathedral. Floor fairly dark too. Viewing area is around 14' wide and ranges from 8-16' back from screen depending on where you sit. Projector throw is short side, around 1.4ish.

On another note, I took home some samples of ALR SI materials. It is hard to say if I got a good feel using these smaller samples, but neither BD or neither Slate or even Pure Grey did it for me. Slate 1.2 looked like it was the best of the bunch, but for the gains made in ambient contrast it knocked off quite a bit of brightness and visual punch. And it still didn't solve the daytime problem, it only improved it. And it looked like it would degrade night time movie viewing in lost bright levels and viewing angle drop off. Am I selling the ALR materials short?
post #3883 of 3901 Old 01-18-2016, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ellis View Post
I hate to continue to drag this old thread on, but the recent posts are right in my query zone. I just installed a new JVC RS600 projector. I've had a very good 8" CRT shooting a 90" diagonal 16:9 Draper M1300 motorized screen for many years. I moved during those years and had room in my new AV cabinetry for a larger screen, but burn in lines on CRT tubes prevented switching. With that constriction lifted, I want to fit all the screen I can. With Stewart, the max I can fit is 100" diagonal. The length of the weight rod is my limiting factor. If I went with Draper again I could fit 102". But, my older Draper screen has picked up visible horizontal lines from the roller mechanism and is also not opaque. I have a daytime 80" LCD right behind it, which I am sure is backlighting the screen and degrading contrast to some degree. I hear the new Draper material is basically the same. With SI I can fit a 106" screen. That is a lot more surface, making me lean toward them even though I am a bit leery of their excess marketing hype and a lack of any real data on their screens, nor ISF certifications and so on. So is their any reason I should avoid the SI Pure White relative to Stewart or other alternatives?

BTW, I have poor light control in the room, which is why I have the daytime LCD. I even have reflection and glare problems with it from the large north facing windows on the wall behind the projector (opposite end from screen). So we have gotten used to using the projector only when it is dark outside. Room itself fairly dark otherwise. Darker wall and ceiling paint and ceiling is tall cathedral. Floor fairly dark too. Viewing area is around 14' wide and ranges from 8-16' back from screen depending on where you sit. Projector throw is short side, around 1.4ish.

On another note, I took home some samples of ALR SI materials. It is hard to say if I got a good feel using these smaller samples, but neither BD or neither Slate or even Pure Grey did it for me. Slate 1.2 looked like it was the best of the bunch, but for the gains made in ambient contrast it knocked off quite a bit of brightness and visual punch. And it still didn't solve the daytime problem, it only improved it. And it looked like it would degrade night time movie viewing in lost bright levels and viewing angle drop off. Am I selling the ALR materials short?
I don't think any ALR screens are going to work in your scenario. ALR screens are designed to reject as much light as it can from the sides and top (any angled light hitting the screen). It won't be able to block light that is coming from behind the projector or straight on.
post #3884 of 3901 Old 01-19-2016, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After viewing the ALR samples with the RS600, I came to that same conclusion. We will have to live with our present LCD situation during daylight hours or finally add some movable shading to rear windows. 2 are larger quarter circles and high off floor so not an easy solution. The RS600 is so much brighter than our prior CRT that on high lamp we can now view brighter source material during the day on our white 1.1 matt screen reasonably well. Not darker movies of course. It can also handle some low level evening ambient lighting pretty well for non-critical viewing or group entertaining. So it comes down to which white motorized screen option given the options discussed. And alternatively, would like any comments as to whether I have properly characterized the ALR samples as not really being worth it for reasons discussed.
post #3885 of 3901 Old 02-20-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forgot to update. I ordered the Luminesse + ST100 screen with LED kit. Should have it in a few weeks! Thanks for the help.
post #3886 of 3901 Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ellis View Post
After viewing the ALR samples with the RS600, I came to that same conclusion. We will have to live with our present LCD situation during daylight hours or finally add some movable shading to rear windows. 2 are larger quarter circles and high off floor so not an easy solution. The RS600 is so much brighter than our prior CRT that on high lamp we can now view brighter source material during the day on our white 1.1 matt screen reasonably well. Not darker movies of course. It can also handle some low level evening ambient lighting pretty well for non-critical viewing or group entertaining. So it comes down to which white motorized screen option given the options discussed. And alternatively, would like any comments as to whether I have properly characterized the ALR samples as not really being worth it for reasons discussed.
Good to have some feedback on the sample sent you. Would be happy to continue our conversation, where we left off. Light coming from the back of the room is tough. About the only thing you can do is go with a gray based screen, but if you did not like the image from the Pure Gray and are going to keep using the TV during the day, then white will work for you.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #3887 of 3901 Old 03-20-2016, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thought you'd like to know I got my Studiotek 100 115" Diagonal, 16:9, Luminesse with LED kit this weekend. It's absolutely incredible. Absolutely no shimmer, which I'm SO sensitive to. It's just amazing, and without doubt the best screen I've ever seen, cinema or otherwise.

I'm not completely done with the movie room setup, but I set things up just to test - in my bat cave (black screen wall, grey ceilings and side walls - blackout curtains to the side. It's just... yeah.... I couldn't stop gawking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1327169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1327177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1327185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1327193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1327201  

post #3888 of 3901 Old 03-21-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Folks,
I just installed my 100 inch Slate 1.2
I do notice some small amount of "shimmering" or "sparkles" on bright white scenes. Interesting thing is that the effect is a lot less pronounced if I stand and look at the screen (by keeping eye level with center of screen).
But if I change the viewing angle by viewing the screen sitting on my couch (so the center is now a few inches from eye level), I do see shimmering on bright white scenes
post #3889 of 3901 Old 03-21-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
Folks,
I just installed my 100 inch Slate 1.2
I do notice some small amount of "shimmering" or "sparkles" on bright white scenes. Interesting thing is that the effect is a lot less pronounced if I stand and look at the screen (by keeping eye level with center of screen).
But if I change the viewing angle by viewing the screen sitting on my couch (so the center is now a few inches from eye level), I do see shimmering on bright white scenes
bytebuster - I'll say that this is not to bash the SI screens, but I struggled with this big time with the BD screens. I was dead set on a Black Diamond screen, and I'm SO glad I got to demo it, because I found the sparkles to be very, very objectionable. The viewing angle absolutely can affect this, and the area of the screen that's showing a brighter image can vary. e.g. if you have a bright area in the lower left of the screen, you might not see the sparkles there, but if it's in the top right, your viewing angle to the top right might be such that you DO see the sparkles there. Hopefully that makes sense.

If you can live with the sparkles (as many are clearly able to do), I'd say live with it. If you can't, well.. there are alternatives. I'm glad I was able to demo the Black Diamond material. While I loved its general properties, the sparkles were something my wife and I absolutely couldn't live with.
post #3890 of 3901 Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks William. Yeah. The sparkles, thought distracting, are something I am getting used to (I think)

I had a smaller Stewart firehawk G3 earlier and that too had sparkles. Based on comments online ... I was expecting lesser artifacts with a newer material like SI's Slate.
Otherwise its a good screen. Love that the flexibility in mounting offered by the SI series 5 versus the Stewart Luxus

Will post a more detailed take on the screen later
post #3891 of 3901 Old 04-01-2016, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok I need advise as well - have read the entire thread and would like some advise

I have an Epson 5030 if dedicated theater room. Room is about 17 ft long and 12 feet wide painted gray (walls and ceiling)

The room is my sports room and has lots of sports memorabilia so there are several reflective surfaces

I was leaning towards a SI pure white or gray but after reading about the Stewart I was thinking that might be a good option

I really want something with good contrast and detailed colors - I can control the light but at times will watch with lights up and I'm worried about the reflections in room from sports memorabilia

Would love some advise
post #3892 of 3901 Old 04-04-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnjacket View Post
Ok I need advise as well - have read the entire thread and would like some advise

I have an Epson 5030 if dedicated theater room. Room is about 17 ft long and 12 feet wide painted gray (walls and ceiling)

The room is my sports room and has lots of sports memorabilia so there are several reflective surfaces

I was leaning towards a SI pure white or gray but after reading about the Stewart I was thinking that might be a good option

I really want something with good contrast and detailed colors - I can control the light but at times will watch with lights up and I'm worried about the reflections in room from sports memorabilia

Would love some advise
Need to know:

Screen size?
Viewing distance?
Throw range available?

mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #3893 of 3901 Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I hope this isn't against forum rules or the thread topic:

I'm cross-checking info from a custom installer, and want a typical price for a SI screen (120", fixed frame, acoustically transparent, gain ~1.0). Their website is inscrutable to me; I can't figure out which screen model is for AT.

Or more generally: are SI screens $2000 or $4000 screens?
post #3894 of 3901 Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 182
SI screens I've seen are very cheap cost wise. Never saw one even close to that expensive. They have a website, go check it out. The 106" fixed frame AT screen I bought was $329 shipped on Amazon.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #3895 of 3901 Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

WAB is the AT screen

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #3896 of 3901 Old 04-17-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 310
SI Black Diamond screens are usually in that price range. They are more expensive than Stewart.
post #3897 of 3901 Old 04-17-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
SI screens I've seen are very cheap cost wise. Never saw one even close to that expensive. They have a website, go check it out. The 106" fixed frame AT screen I bought was $329 shipped on Amazon.
SI doesn't give prices online. I asked at a local store: SI's Series 5 120" AT (Maestro) screen retails for about $3500.

I'm determining whether to buy a SI screen for $3500 through a custom installer, who will design and construct my room, or buy myself say a Seymour AV screen for about half the price and have the installer install it. It sounds like an easy decision, but it gets trickier negotiating prices and work with an installer as you start eliminating their profit.
post #3898 of 3901 Old 04-17-2016, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Quote:
WAB is the AT screen

Muzz seems to be confusing Screen Innovations with Silver Ticket. Big difference. Silver Ticket screens run from $200 to $500; SI screens run from $3000 to $6000.

Martin
post #3899 of 3901 Old 04-17-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You would be correct.
Apologies.

post #3900 of 3901 Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I hope this isn't against forum rules or the thread topic:

I'm cross-checking info from a custom installer, and want a typical price for a SI screen (120", fixed frame, acoustically transparent, gain ~1.0). Their website is inscrutable to me; I can't figure out which screen model is for AT.

Or more generally: are SI screens $2000 or $4000 screens?
Quote:

Screen Innovations sells their entry level screen on Amazon. I don't think they sell their better screens on Amazon. MSRP for a 120" diagonal 16:9 AT screen is $3,465 plus shipping.

Sent you a PM.
ShoutingMan likes this.

mike@avscience.com

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 04-18-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Pure Acoustics Supernova C 250 Watt Center Speaker , Speaker Systems , Screen Innovations

taboola here