Black Diamond from Screen Innovations? - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Depends on the color of your walls and ceilings. Anything besides black will absorb less light and have a higher degree of reflection.
The ceiling is likely going to be a dark color (almost black - dark grey). The walls we're undecided on. All of it will be dark, deep colors, though. I feel like I could never make a truly informed decision...

Need to figure out "movie room" paint, too...

Last edited by WilliamG; 12-31-2015 at 02:04 PM.
WilliamG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-31-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Swolephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
The ceiling is likely going to be a dark color (almost black - dark grey). The walls we're undecided on. All of it will be dark, deep colors, though. I feel like I could never make a truly informed decision...

Need to figure out "movie room" paint, too...
Black would be best. Dark grey would be close. All in all, the Stewart 100 would be your most accurate option in a dark room with dark walls, ceilings etc. Bringing in any alr screen will introduce some degree of artifacts.


The S.I. Pure White is a very good screen. However the Stewart ST 100 is the industry standard which other screens are measured by in testing, comparisons, etc. And the two screens are in the same price category. So of course I am going to recommend going with the industry benchmark screen which is widely recognized to be the most accurate screen available.

Last edited by Swolephile; 12-31-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Swolephile is online now  
Old 12-31-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Black would be best. Dark grey would be close. All in all, the Stewart 100 would be your most accurate option in a dark room with dark walls, ceilings etc. Bringing in any alr screen will introduce some degree of artifacts.


The S.I. Pure White is a very good screen. However the Stewart ST 100 is the industry standard which other screens are measured by in testing, comparisons, etc. And the two screens are in the same price category. So of course I am going to recommend going with the industry benchmark screen which is widely recognized to be the most accurate screen available.
Perfect. Thank you. Now I need to figure out how much a 110" diagonal ST 100 screen with LEDs will cost me.
WilliamG is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Swolephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I've looked at seven used Black Diamond Zero Edge screens over the last two weeks. All have dents that start behind the screen and look like bubbles on the screen. I am just not understanding how this is also happening to their rigid one piece zero edge screens?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_43711.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1170858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_64821.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1170866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1170874  

Last edited by Swolephile; 01-07-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Swolephile is online now  
Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
I've looked at seven used Black Diamond Zero Edge screens over the last two weeks. All have dents that start behind the screen and look like bubbles on the screen. I am just not understanding how this is also happening to their rigid one piece zero edge screens?
Bubbles on the rigid screen? I don't see how that would even be possible.
ch1sox is online now  
Old 01-07-2016, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Swolephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
Bubbles on the rigid screen? I don't see how that would even be possible.
Just posted pics of a few of the screens I saw with this blemish. I am also baffled by how this is happening to their rigid zero edge screens.
Swolephile is online now  
Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Just posted pics of a few of the screens I saw with this blemish. I am also baffled by how this is happening to their rigid zero edge screens.
I wouldn't let that sway my buying decision. You'd have to somehow hit the back of the screen with something to cause that I'd think.
ch1sox is online now  
Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Swolephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
I wouldn't let that sway my buying decision. You'd have to somehow hit the back of the screen with something to cause that I'd think.
Well I was going to buy a demo or used one. However each preowned one I've looked at has this bubble blemish somewhere on the screen.
Swolephile is online now  
Old 01-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Well I was going to buy a demo or used one. However each preowned one I've looked at has this bubble blemish somewhere on the screen.
oh
ch1sox is online now  
Old 01-07-2016, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Swolephile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
oh
Yeah Im going to have to buy a new screen. My fixed frame Black Diamond got the same dent/bubble blemish during delivery. I thought the rigid zero edge would be immune to this kind of blemish. Looks like I was wrong.

Last edited by Swolephile; 01-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Swolephile is online now  
Old 01-08-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Yikes! I already had reasons for preferring other ALR screens over the BD, but I'll add this one to the list.

Dave
thezaks is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 04:30 PM
Member
 
Dan Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Continuing SI Pure White discussion

I hate to continue to drag this old thread on, but the recent posts are right in my query zone. I just installed a new JVC RS600 projector. I've had a very good 8" CRT shooting a 90" diagonal 16:9 Draper M1300 motorized screen for many years. I moved during those years and had room in my new AV cabinetry for a larger screen, but burn in lines on CRT tubes prevented switching. With that constriction lifted, I want to fit all the screen I can. With Stewart, the max I can fit is 100" diagonal. The length of the weight rod is my limiting factor. If I went with Draper again I could fit 102". But, my older Draper screen has picked up visible horizontal lines from the roller mechanism and is also not opaque. I have a daytime 80" LCD right behind it, which I am sure is backlighting the screen and degrading contrast to some degree. I hear the new Draper material is basically the same. With SI I can fit a 106" screen. That is a lot more surface, making me lean toward them even though I am a bit leery of their excess marketing hype and a lack of any real data on their screens, nor ISF certifications and so on. So is their any reason I should avoid the SI Pure White relative to Stewart or other alternatives?

BTW, I have poor light control in the room, which is why I have the daytime LCD. I even have reflection and glare problems with it from the large north facing windows on the wall behind the projector (opposite end from screen). So we have gotten used to using the projector only when it is dark outside. Room itself fairly dark otherwise. Darker wall and ceiling paint and ceiling is tall cathedral. Floor fairly dark too. Viewing area is around 14' wide and ranges from 8-16' back from screen depending on where you sit. Projector throw is short side, around 1.4ish.

On another note, I took home some samples of ALR SI materials. It is hard to say if I got a good feel using these smaller samples, but neither BD or neither Slate or even Pure Grey did it for me. Slate 1.2 looked like it was the best of the bunch, but for the gains made in ambient contrast it knocked off quite a bit of brightness and visual punch. And it still didn't solve the daytime problem, it only improved it. And it looked like it would degrade night time movie viewing in lost bright levels and viewing angle drop off. Am I selling the ALR materials short?
Dan Ellis is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
ConradC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL.
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ellis View Post
I hate to continue to drag this old thread on, but the recent posts are right in my query zone. I just installed a new JVC RS600 projector. I've had a very good 8" CRT shooting a 90" diagonal 16:9 Draper M1300 motorized screen for many years. I moved during those years and had room in my new AV cabinetry for a larger screen, but burn in lines on CRT tubes prevented switching. With that constriction lifted, I want to fit all the screen I can. With Stewart, the max I can fit is 100" diagonal. The length of the weight rod is my limiting factor. If I went with Draper again I could fit 102". But, my older Draper screen has picked up visible horizontal lines from the roller mechanism and is also not opaque. I have a daytime 80" LCD right behind it, which I am sure is backlighting the screen and degrading contrast to some degree. I hear the new Draper material is basically the same. With SI I can fit a 106" screen. That is a lot more surface, making me lean toward them even though I am a bit leery of their excess marketing hype and a lack of any real data on their screens, nor ISF certifications and so on. So is their any reason I should avoid the SI Pure White relative to Stewart or other alternatives?

BTW, I have poor light control in the room, which is why I have the daytime LCD. I even have reflection and glare problems with it from the large north facing windows on the wall behind the projector (opposite end from screen). So we have gotten used to using the projector only when it is dark outside. Room itself fairly dark otherwise. Darker wall and ceiling paint and ceiling is tall cathedral. Floor fairly dark too. Viewing area is around 14' wide and ranges from 8-16' back from screen depending on where you sit. Projector throw is short side, around 1.4ish.

On another note, I took home some samples of ALR SI materials. It is hard to say if I got a good feel using these smaller samples, but neither BD or neither Slate or even Pure Grey did it for me. Slate 1.2 looked like it was the best of the bunch, but for the gains made in ambient contrast it knocked off quite a bit of brightness and visual punch. And it still didn't solve the daytime problem, it only improved it. And it looked like it would degrade night time movie viewing in lost bright levels and viewing angle drop off. Am I selling the ALR materials short?
I don't think any ALR screens are going to work in your scenario. ALR screens are designed to reject as much light as it can from the sides and top (any angled light hitting the screen). It won't be able to block light that is coming from behind the projector or straight on.
ConradC is offline  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:02 AM
Member
 
Dan Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After viewing the ALR samples with the RS600, I came to that same conclusion. We will have to live with our present LCD situation during daylight hours or finally add some movable shading to rear windows. 2 are larger quarter circles and high off floor so not an easy solution. The RS600 is so much brighter than our prior CRT that on high lamp we can now view brighter source material during the day on our white 1.1 matt screen reasonably well. Not darker movies of course. It can also handle some low level evening ambient lighting pretty well for non-critical viewing or group entertaining. So it comes down to which white motorized screen option given the options discussed. And alternatively, would like any comments as to whether I have properly characterized the ALR samples as not really being worth it for reasons discussed.
Dan Ellis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Projection Screens , Pure Acoustics Supernova C 250 Watt Center Speaker , Speaker Systems , Screen Innovations
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off